• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Meh. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for, really. I was really getting into Deadman Wonderland and nothing has interested me since. I've already seen all of Naruto, FMA is great but have seen it and Bebop is always amazing but who hasn't seen it? If it would prompt Funimation to dub more episodes then One Piece would be cool and I wouldn't mind Case Closed coming back.

Well, the schedule will change to

12:00 – Bleach

12:30 – Naruto

01:00 – One Piece
 (starting at 207)
01:30 – Soul Eater

02:00 – IGPX
02:30 – Eureka
03:00 – Thundercats
03:30 – Symbionic Titan
04:00 – Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
04:30 – Cowboy Bebop

05:00 – Inuyasha

05:30 – Inuyasha

on May 18th. It will probably stay like that for a large part of the summer. They have mentioned that there is a specific show they have been looking at, it'll probably come in either after Eureka Seven ends in August or maybe after Titan's current run which ends in July.

Well, the schedule will change to

12:00 – Bleach

12:30 – Naruto

01:00 – One Piece
 (starting at 207)
01:30 – Soul Eater

02:00 – IGPX
02:30 – Eureka
03:00 – Thundercats
03:30 – Symbionic Titan
04:00 – Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
04:30 – Cowboy Bebop

05:00 – Inuyasha

05:30 – Inuyasha

on May 18th. It will probably stay like that for a large part of the summer. They have mentioned that there is a specific show they have been looking at, it'll probably come in either after Eureka Seven ends in August or maybe after Titan's current run which ends in July.
Oh wow, they are actually getting OP in? Nice! I've watched it most of the way through already but just once and wouldn't mind a new round. They only dubbed up into the 200's somewhere though, wonder if this will in fact prompt them to get more aggressive with dubbing more or if they are just going to stop when it gets that high. Obviously ratings will play into it as well.

Edit: Just saw the detail of it starting at 207....this means they are dubbing new episodes??? fuck yeah! Alright Toonami, you have my interest again.

Seda

Oh wow, they are actually getting OP in? Nice! I've watched it most of the way through already but just once and wouldn't mind a new round. They only dubbed up into the 200's somewhere though, wonder if this will in fact prompt them to get more aggressive with dubbing more or if they are just going to stop when it gets that high. Obviously ratings will play into it as well.

I think the dubbed episodes are up to 252 and another set comes out in May. I'm not sure how often Funimation releases new episodes sets but maybe it'll get to the point (after 18-24 months maybe?) where new dubbed episodes will actually premiere on Toonami like Bleach's does now. Funimation seems to be really happy getting One Piece on Toonami. Actually right now, Amazon's top 3 anime sets are the Soul Eater series and the first two Evangelion movies (FMA is up there too). [In case you didn't know, Toonami aired the first Evangelion movie in March for it's 'birthday']. The sale prices certainly is a major factor for that, but I bet Funimation loves the exposure Toonami gives these series.

It's funny to see Squall ASF go from completely bummed out to totally psyched.

I think the dubbed episodes are up to 252 and another set comes out in May. I'm not sure how often Funimation releases new episodes sets but maybe it'll get to the point (after 18-24 months maybe?) where new dubbed episodes will actually premiere on Toonami like Bleach's does now. Funimation seems to be really happy getting One Piece on Toonami. Actually right now, Amazon's top 3 anime sets are the Soul Eater series and the first two Evangelion movies (FMA is up there too). [In case you didn't know, Toonami aired the first Evangelion movie in March for it's 'birthday']. The sale prices certainly is a major factor for that, but I bet Funimation loves the exposure Toonami gives these series.
That'd be a pretty big score for Toonami. We'd get all that sweet, sweet non-sub watching One Piece viewership. But that's still at least a year away, so no point in speculating on that now.

@SAB. I'd love it if you posted your pictures here. They're awesome.

Seda

I was just curious so I was just looking at One Piece dubbed and what is available (legally). Here's the summary as far as I can tell.

• 1-206 on onepieceofficial.com.
  • The "Collection" sets, the latest one being Collection 8 which goes up to 205.
  • The "Season" sets, the latest one being Season 4 Voyage 4, which goes up to 252. Season 4 Voyage 5 comes out in May, which goes up to 263.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I was just curious so I was just looking at One Piece dubbed and what is available (legally). Here's the summary as far as I can tell.

• 1-206 on onepieceofficial.com.
  • The "Collection" sets, the latest one being Collection 8 which goes up to 205.
  • The "Season" sets, the latest one being Season 4 Voyage 4, which goes up to 252. Season 4 Voyage 5 comes out in May, which goes up to 263.

Though if you pre-order it off Rightstuf, you would get it early. I got my copy in last week.

Season 5 Voyage 1 is set for July.

Yeah I was really bummed that there weren't more episodes of Deadman Wonderland and nothing new garnered my interest since so I was pretty jaded on Toonami (though happy for others) but I really didn't care for having to finish what's out for OP subbed so to hear the dubbing will finally continue is good news. Would be nice if a new series could hook me the way Deadman did but not holding my breath haha I need to read the manga so I can see what happened and also what they left out of the few episodes they actually did show.

Seda

Not that I'm planning on buying them anytime soon, but what's the difference between the "season" and "collection" sets?

The collections seem to be released later, but at a cheaper price with more episodes than each season-voyage set has.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
@SAB. I'd love it if you posted your pictures here. They're awesome.
Thanks Schadenfreude! Much appreciated!

I'll post week before last + A few bonus images (Toonami, but not sketch dump related) since new page:

zlCfzQ9MLjMAnFF1-o

zlCfzQ9MUqA1uRIXic
zlCfzQ9MXJsKSAR_pA

zlCfzQ9McNkoqFkIbI
zlCfzQ9MevI6c4Hhr5

zlCfzQ9MhQYMab_I0r
zlCfzQ9Mm5QUG_kNUr

zlCfzQ9MxDsHnVI-mA
zlCfzQ9M3nEKe7XZNq

zlCfzQ9M56Iz27Z4Ba
zlCfzQ9NLiwJkQhLCR

zlCfzQ9NPAoY3CkH-m
zlCfzQ9NWkYyP38isd

Bonus:

painting
painting

painting
painting

Meh. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for, really. I was really getting into Deadman Wonderland and nothing has interested me since. I've already seen all of Naruto, FMA is great but have seen it and Bebop is always amazing but who hasn't seen it? If it would prompt Funimation to dub more episodes then One Piece would be cool and I wouldn't mind Case Closed coming back.

no love for Soul Eater?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Not that I'm planning on buying them anytime soon, but what's the difference between the "season" and "collection" sets?

Season sets are 11-13 episodes a piece and are the original releases. The Collections have 25-26 episodes a piece and a released at a later date.
Unless you're loaded, I wouldn't seek out season sets from the first three seasons (Season 2 Voyage 5 is extra expensive now). That's why the Collections are a must.

Toonami will begin on Season 4.

i do not, but i do know it deviates.

i also think "it deviates from the manga" is kind of an awful reason to skip something, personally :p if it deviates and the deviation is poor (which in fairness it generally seems to be), ok then, but i don't know if that's true about Soul Eater.

Seda

Apparently the deviation of Soul Eater is quite poor, compared to FMA's deviation which a lot of people still liked.

I'm speaking through the grapevine here, I have no idea what happens in Soul Eater past what has aired on Toonami.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Apparently the deviation of Soul Eater is quite poor, compared to FMA's deviation which a lot of people still liked.

I'm speaking through the grapevine here, I have no idea what happens in Soul Eater past what has aired on Toonami.

Not going to lie, it is pretty acrid.

Ratings with demo numbers:

Adult Swim
1. The Boondocks – 1.348 million viewers, 0.55 A18-49
2. Bleach – 1.319 million viewers, 0.58 A18-49
3. Black Dynamite – 1.214 million viewers, 0.50 A18-49
4. Naruto – 1.138 million viewers, 0.52 A18-49
5. Soul Eater – 0.936 million viewers, 0.44 A18-49
6. Sym-Bionic Titan – 0.826 million viewers, 0.39 A18-49
7. Thundercats – 0.823 million viewers, 0.41 A18-49
8. Eureka 7 – 0.757 million viewers, 0.35 A18-49
9. Techni Muyo! GXP – 0.694 million viewers, 0.30 A18-49

ckohler

The deviation doesn't begin until around episode 36 (of 51). Until then the show follows the manga almost exactly. Also, I don't think the deviation is as bad as people make it out to be. It's nowhere near as good as the manga but it's not unwatchable like some people say.

Seda

The deviation doesn't begin until around episode 36 (of 51). Until then the show follows the manga almost exactly. Also, I don't think the deviation is as bad as people make it out to be. It's nowhere near as good as the manga but it's not unwatchable like some people say.

I'm the type of person who can usually derive enjoyment out of most things (any form of media), even if they are sub-par or mediocre. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I even enjoy Bleach in an ironic way I guess.

Except GXP.

Fuck GXP.

Tenumi

Banned
I'm the type of person who can usually derive enjoyment out of most things (any form of media), even if they are sub-par or mediocre. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I even enjoy Bleach in an ironic way I guess.

Except GXP.

Fuck GXP.

Huh. Glad to see I'm not the only person in the world who has this ability. Though I gave GXP the requisite 3 episodes, and dropped it immediately afterwards.

...Man, I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and tell myself not to get hyped over Casshern Sins replacement show...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I gotta imagine the Toonami execs sending this thing to the dump heap on a rocket sled after the last episode. A show hated by the faithful and box office poison to boot.

I don't care what quality a deviation is, it bothers me. If I didn't read the manga, I wouldn't care but to see it match the manga for a ways and then veer in another direction would definitely make me lose interest. I'd be watching the anime to see my favorite scenes in action, not for some alternate story. It's also a damn shame when an anime ends the series WELL before the manga. Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi has to be up there for one of the worst offenders. The anime literally ends before the story even begins. I would equate the portion of the manga that the entirety of the anime covers to a tutorial section at the beginning of a video game. You don't get a single inkling of the plot...that's crazy. Well, besides Kenichi's desire to learn to fight/defend.

I don't care what quality a deviation is, it bothers me. If I didn't read the manga, I wouldn't care but to see it match the manga for a ways and then veer in another direction would definitely make me lose interest. I'd be watching the anime to see my favorite scenes in action, not for some alternate story. It's also a damn shame when an anime ends the series WELL before the manga. Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi has to be up there for one of the worst offenders. The anime literally ends before the story even begins. I would equate the portion of the manga that the entirety of the anime covers to a tutorial section at the beginning of a video game. You don't get a single inkling of the plot...that's crazy. Well, besides Kenichi's desire to learn to fight/defend.

adaptations don't have to exclusively follow the source material, and sometimes they're better for making changes. every medium is like this, and it seems to me anime is the one where the majority (or at least an EXTREMELY vocal minority) still gets upset about differences. i don't like it when people automatically write off filler for the same reason; most filler sucks, yeah, but its status as filler does not mean it's absolutely guaranteed to be bad. it's the same mentality, and i don't understand why many anime fans cling to the idea that there should be no room for interpretation.

adaptations don't have to exclusively follow the source material, and sometimes they're better for making changes. every medium is like this, and it seems to me anime is the one where the majority (or at least an EXTREMELY vocal minority) still gets upset about differences. i don't like it when people automatically write off filler for the same reason; most filler sucks, yeah, but its status as filler does not mean it's absolutely guaranteed to be bad. it's the same mentality, and i don't understand why many anime fans cling to the idea that there should be no room for interpretation.

What medium do people not get upset by it? Most people always find novels better than their film adaptation, no? This isn't exclusive to Anime and in the case of novel to film, is far less deviating. Is it hard for you to understand why a person who's read the source material and wants to see it played out visually would be disappointed when the visual counterpart deviates entirely? You are looking forward to certain portions or arcs that never come to see light, visually. This is if the alternate story path is even any good, if it's terrible, there are even more reasons to be disappointed.

Filler is a separate discussion but you can't see any reason someone might not want to bother with it? Some want to just see how the story develops and ends and filler does not accomplish this. I have no problem with those that enjoy a series so much that they will watch any content created and you probably shouldn't stress over others wanting to just see how the story goes.

What medium do people not get upset by it? Most people always find novels better than their film adaptation, no? This isn't exclusive to Anime and in the case of novel to film, is far less deviating. Is it hard for you to understand why a person who's read the source material and wants to see it played out visually would be disappointed when the visual counterpart deviates entirely? You are looking forward to certain portions or arcs that never come to see light, visually. This is if the alternate story path is even any good, if it's terrible, there are even more reasons to be disappointed.

I feel it depends heavily on which version of the story someone is exposed to first.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
i don't like it when people automatically write off filler for the same reason; most filler sucks, yeah, but its status as filler does not mean it's absolutely guaranteed to be bad. it's the same mentality, and i don't understand why many anime fans cling to the idea that there should be no room for interpretation.

Does anyone know of the filler mentality for Japanese anime fans? Do they hate filler the same way others do, or do they see it in a different light?

Most of the anime I watched in the distant past (ha), I never knew had filler, as we see it; the show was the main continuity, and seeing stories that foced more attention on side characters was great, because they'd get ignored all the rest of the time...

Due to this, a bit of deviation from the original manga plots never feels like a bad thing in itself, even when I know the original story; it just feels like I get to see characters I enjoy, in another new story. As long as it's supervised / approved by the original creator of the work, I see no problem with it.

And for that Kenichi example up there... who does one blame for that? The anime had a healthy amount of episodes before it ended; the manga had enough popularity to continue in it's own way, but if the show wasn't picked up for another season / was cancelled due to low ratings, then what's one to do?

It was a shame too, because a lot of Kenichi's fights were kinda stiff and goofy in choreography, and the next arch seemed like it finally might have really started to give the show some real quality. If only they started the series later into the manga's life... though it appears that they made some OVAs for the series in Mid-to-late 2012 that continue on with the story... hm.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kenichi would be SO GOOD if they started it up again as an anime. Probably need to be censored for a US broadcast on Toonami though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kenichi would be SO GOOD if they started it up again as an anime. Probably need to be censored for a US broadcast on Toonami though.

Honestly if we're going to show a combat sports anime, I'd rather see Ippo. I've heard his voice in the dub and yeah it's annoying but damn does shit get real. Also Takamura.

Filler is a separate discussion but you can't see any reason someone might not want to bother with it? Some want to just see how the story develops and ends and filler does not accomplish this. I have no problem with those that enjoy a series so much that they will watch any content created and you probably shouldn't stress over others wanting to just see how the story goes.

i said "the majority"; there's always going to be people who complain that Batman is wearing armor instead of tights, but most seem to have accepted that changes are indeed going to be made.

it IS hard for me to understand why a person would think an adaptation needs to slavishly devote itself to the source material. because it's an adaptation. there's a difference between that and a "visual counterpart"; it's not a motion comic. this mentality comes from the narrow-mindedness that the original material is the ONLY acceptable interpretation, that a "visualization" is all that needs to happen. if people want to see the same thing they've already read and seen in their heads, they can go read it again. artists shouldn't be constrained to just making the pictures move, they should be free to offer their own take on something. it's the same "they changed it, now it sucks" mentality that has so many people on the gaming side bitching at almost any sequel you care to name.

and by the way, there's a HUGE difference between being disappointed at something you wanted to see getting skipped or changed and writing something off BECAUSE there are changes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's plenty of good and bad examples of what happens when anime gets ahead of or seriously departs from the story of their manga. A ton of popular examples have been on Toonami/Adult Swim in the past even!

Trigun goes in a cool direction, Rurouni Kenshin is ruined by an awful anime filler arc, Naruto was almost killed by its filler offshoot, FMA's split resulted in two really good and really different animes.

exactly. that's why it bugs me when people will skip something or make statements about its quality based on its faithfulness to the material. it's not automatically bad.

i said "the majority"; there's always going to be people who complain that Batman is wearing armor instead of tights, but most seem to have accepted that changes are indeed going to be made.

it IS hard for me to understand why a person would think an adaptation needs to slavishly devote itself to the source material. because it's an adaptation. there's a difference between that and a "visual counterpart"; it's not a motion comic. this mentality comes from the narrow-mindedness that the original material is the ONLY acceptable interpretation, that a "visualization" is all that needs to happen. if people want to see the same thing they've already read and seen in their heads, they can go read it again. artists shouldn't be constrained to just making the pictures move, they should be free to offer their own take on something. it's the same "they changed it, now it sucks" mentality that has so many people on the gaming side bitching at almost any sequel you care to name.

and by the way, there's a HUGE difference between being disappointed at something you wanted to see getting skipped or changed and writing something off BECAUSE there are changes.

As far as I've ever heard, anime based on manga are not meant to be unique adaptations, they are simply providing a visual representation of it for those that don't enjoy reading. This is evident by the anime starting out with the same exact material as the manga and only deviating when the anime gets too close to the current manga chapter. You only have so many choices at that point to hold viewer interest: 1. Create Filler 2. Go in another direction or 3. Stop airing until there's enough manga material to create more episodes for the anime. If you wanted to go for original or alternate story lines in the first place, why copy any of the manga content at all? Why not emphasize this with a subtitle to display it's a separate story from the source material?

It's not narrow minded to have a preference, it's narrow minded to not consider other interests and to state that they are wrong. You should not have a problem with me preferring my anime adhering to the source as I shouldn't have a problem with you enjoying the freedom to create alternate stories. Different strokes for different folks and I was simply stating that it turns ME off when an anime deviates. I enjoy watching favorite scenes, especially fights, in anime form from mangas I read and I can't believe for a second that you think re-reading the manga chapter provides the same sensation. If it's vivid enough in your mind, good for you. Obviously if I want to watch something I've already read, I'm not content to only experience the one medium. Again, different strokes for different folks.

Up through around 45, I think the show is quite good.

But those last few episodes are fucking horseshit. The ending to the Soul Eater anime was one of the worst endings I've ever seen, and I watched Gundam SEED Destiny.

As far as I've ever heard, anime based on manga are not meant to be unique adaptations, they are simply providing a visual representation of it for those that don't enjoy reading. This is evident by the anime starting out with the same exact material as the manga and only deviating when the anime gets too close to the current manga chapter. You only have so many choices at that point to hold viewer interest: 1. Create Filler 2. Go in another direction or 3. Stop airing until there's enough manga material to create more episodes for the anime. If you wanted to go for original or alternate story lines in the first place, why copy any of the manga content at all? Why not emphasize this with a subtitle to display it's a separate story from the source material?

It's not narrow minded to have a preference, it's narrow minded to not consider other interests and to state that they are wrong. You should not have a problem with me preferring my anime adhering to the source as I shouldn't have a problem with you enjoying the freedom to create alternate stories. Different strokes for different folks and I was simply stating that it turns ME off when an anime deviates. I enjoy watching favorite scenes, especially fights, in anime form from mangas I read and I can't believe for a second that you think re-reading the manga chapter provides the same sensation. If it's vivid enough in your mind, good for you. Obviously if I want to watch something I've already read, I'm not content to only experience the one medium. Again, different strokes for different folks.

anime adaptations, like all other types of adaptations, can be many things. to say that ALL OF THEM are intended to be the equivalent of something like a motion comic is wrong. the fact that a lot of them are does not mean that that is all they're supposed to be.

i can state unequivocally that it is WRONG to write off something because it does not completely follow the source material. it is a completely arbitrary reason that has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the final product. and to say "i will not watch this because it changes things" is a refusal to accept that a work of high-quality can be generated from something that's different. that is complete nonsense.

it's fine to be disappointed that something was left out or handled differently, but "differently" is just that. it's not bad or good because it's different, it's simply different. whether the changes are bad or good compared to the source material is a separate matter, and to refuse to watch something on the basis that it is not the same is, yes, EXTREMELY narrow-minded.

maybe i'm being narrow-minded myself by challenging this viewpoint, but i don't care. there is absolutely NO merit to judging something based entirely on its faithfulness to the source material. and yes, it is judging, because you're saying "this is not worth giving a chance because it's different." please don't compare my viewpoint to yours, because they are not remotely the same. mine involves being accepting of any and all interpretations, faithful or no. yours involves shunning whatever is different.

i can state unequivocally that it is WRONG to write off something because it does not completely follow the source material. it is a completely arbitrary reason that has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the final product. and to say "i will not watch this because it changes things" is a refusal to accept that a work of high-quality can be generated from something that's different. that is complete nonsense.

it's fine to be disappointed that something was left out or handled differently, but "differently" is just that. it's not bad or good because it's different, it's simply different. whether the changes are bad or good compared to the source material is a separate matter, and to refuse to watch something on the basis that it is not the same is, yes, EXTREMELY narrow-minded.

maybe i'm being narrow-minded myself by challenging this viewpoint, but i don't care. there is absolutely NO merit to judging something based entirely on its faithfulness to the source material. and yes, it is judging, because you're saying "this is not worth giving a chance because it's different."

No, you can't, actually. You cannot tell a person what they should be interested in and what they shouldn't. It's an extremely simple concept that if I enjoy a series and want to watch an animated version of fights through out several arcs in the manga that I would be disappointed with the anime going in another direction, never to air what I desire. Whether or not I'll like the new direction is irrelevant to this point. At no time did I ever state that alternate content was of poor quality. I simply stated I'm not interested in it and started watching the anime for another reason. To think it's only acceptable to 'not' write off alternate story lines is what's narrow minded. You aren't considering why I'm watching the anime in the first place. Good quality content is not my only goal here.

I did not anywhere state that no one should watch or enjoy deviated story lines, I'm only stating that I personally have no interest in it and to challenge that is utterly ridiculous. Who are you or anyone else to tell me what I should do or enjoy? I've already stated why I watch an anime of a series I've already read, an alternate story does not meet that criteria. Quality is irrelevant.

then why'd you watch Deadman Wonderland?

are you really trying to tell me it's not laughably narrow-minded to refuse to watch something because they made a few changes? are you really?

and i'm challenging your views because i think your views are dumb as hell; you are insulating yourself from potentially great shows for the most arbitrary reason.

then why'd you watch Deadman Wonderland?

are you really trying to tell me it's not laughably narrow-minded to refuse to watch something because they made a few changes? are you really?

and i'm challenging your views because i think your views are dumb as hell; you are insulating yourself from potentially great shows for the most arbitrary reason.

Because I didn't know anything about Deadman, it was a new series to me. After it quit airing I looked it up.

Yes, I am. Narrow minded would be if I said it was pointless for anyone to ever watch deviated stories. Having a particular preference is not necessarily the same thing.

More like you aren't understanding my view. You are so hell bent on people giving any content a chance that you aren't considering for even a second why a person may be watching a particular anime in the first place.

and you would not have watched Deadman Wonderland had you read it before. you would not have experienced a show that you (I assume) liked just because you want to stick your fingers in your ears and make loud noises whenever a show that makes changes to the manga you've read comes around.

there's a difference between having a preference and refusing to watch anything outside of that preference. a big one, actually.

no, i understand your view and i think it's ridiculous. why would watching an extremely faithful adaptation be the ONLY REASON you would EVER watch an adaptation? if having read something absolutely ruins your ability to enjoy something on its own merits, you've got some problems that need sorted out.

i like how you make me trying to get people to give anything a chance sound like a bad thing, though. last i checked, being open to watching things that are different is not a bad thing.

Saw this retweeted by AS:

BIyiV_lCAAA8qcf.jpg

Car in front of me on the 405 has a Toonami license plate and Absolution sticker. #Hero @adultswim

Which one of you guys is it?

Edit: Maybe TOM 6 will be driving a Civic Hybrid when the next refresh comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom