• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy video (GDC)

Branduil

kzkb1 said:
If use of the remote in this game doesn't have analogue stick-level ramifications, Wii will officially be a failure.

lockegafmk3kr1.gif

Gadeus

The game looks really awesome, I can't wait for it to come out. But I think I saw a gigantic eel, why god, the one in Mario 64 gave me nightmares when I was younger.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The controls in this game are perfect. If you're hatin on the waggle in this game, you're most likely just some crazy fanboy.

Master Z

PhoenixDark said:
I highly doubt that. I'll eat my hat if this doesn't turn out to be another LocoRoco. And there's nothing wrong with that: LocoRoco's quality as a game was not determined by its sales.

I hope you have a tasty hat... See the big difference I expect between LBP and LR is that LBP is going to get 1000 times more press and commercial exposure. Once the LBP demo comes out journos are going to hail it as a revolution of sorts, just watch. Of course I could be wrong, but I have a good feeling that I'm not.

Okay, that's all I'm going to say about LBP in this thread.

Super Mario Galaxy looks absolutely exellent with that smooth framerate. I pray it stays at what seems to be 60fps for the final released game.

we all know what happened to Sunshine (a game i happen to like a lot) it WAS 60fps but got cut down to 30fps.

Sean

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy looks HOT. It's like this game is on a completely different system, no other Wii game even comes close. I can see this being one of the top selling games this year easily. Can't wait for this.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
This is the game Mario 64 should have been.

I'm not discrediting Mario 64 in any way, but it never captured the immediacy of the 2D Mario's. It was almost an adventure game.

The SMS retro levels came close, but they were stripped down to the point where they lacked the joyful immersion of Mario's little world.

This has it all.

And from what I've seen this game hit's every little nerve of why I play videogames.

ghst said:
This is the game Mario 64 should have been.

I'm not discrediting Mario 64 in any way, but it never captured the immediacy of the 2D Mario's. It was almost an adventure game.

You´re right, but...i really wonder what the game´s overall structure will be. You know...when you save, where do you start the next time, and are you going to travel one path, without the possibility to backtrack...and so on.
Also, while Mario64/SMS were a bit too adventure-heavy, SMG could turn out to be to puzzle-heavy, looking how it seems that every little planet has its own little puzzle.

Krowley

Wow @ SMG

This is as close to next gen as the wii has come so far and I've always felt that this game was clearly beyond the current gen consoles in lot's of different ways. This video makes that even more obvious.. As a wii owner, I will be very happy when more games start to reach this level. I'll confess that i'm not a graphics afficionado, but this looks good enough to impress me greatly and give me that "wow" factor you expect in a next gen machine. That's the one thing that's been missing on my wii so far and i will be totally satisfied with the machine when the average game is much closer to this.

This game is the biggest reason i bought a wii and i'm delighted to see that it's continuing to look promising.

I read some complaints in this thread about potential gameplay flaws (like the idea that the game will just be about running around on globes and hitting the star things to shoot you places).. I think there is ample evidence in the video that the platforming eventually gets pretty sophisticated... Not so much in what you see mario doing, but the stuff in the background. The video clearly focuses on showing mario shoot from one place to another, but there are obvious jumping obstacles all over the place and some of them look pretty tough. For example, the picture below...

mariog016lf7.jpg

That structure he's on in the picture above has some tough looking platform arrangments off in the distance.

There is also the whole multitasking aspect with the wiimote and some of that stuff won't be all that obvious if you're just watching a video. You can apparently grab things and manipulate them and you're probably required to do so frequently while simultaneously navigating mario.

So anyway... This remains my most anticipated game. It will be utterly brilliant, it will destroy mario sunshine and i'm betting it will be the best selling wii game over the systems lifetime, fully restoring the mario console platformer to it's former glory. If i were nintendo, there is no way i would choose a smash brothers game over this game for a christmas release and i say that even though i'm totally looking forward to ssbb. Mario Galaxy looks like it's the real deal. It almost makes me weep with joy.

ksamedi

I wonder what kind of power ups there will be, i kinda missed the mushrooms in the 3D games, just ditch the healt bar Nintendo!

jett

D-Member
Lots of either delluded or overexcited people in here, or both. SMG looks pretty nice all things considered.

TazedSoul

Banned
I'm sure it has been said a thousand times in this thread already, but Galaxy looks so good. It's nice to see a Wii game looking this good.

Phil

goomba

Banned
Cant wait for this myself but I think non-gamers will struggle with the complicated controls and disorientating 3d gameplay.

I haven't been able to browse the web during the last couple of days, but to return and find videos of Super Paper Mario, Littled Big Planet and to top it all off, Super Mario Galaxy? Megaton in my pants!

This game will achieve videogame perfection. :D

Dr.Hadji

goomba said:
Cant wait for this myself but I think non-gamers will struggle with the complicated controls and disorientating 3d gameplay.

Non-gamers, maybe. Casual gamers, I think not. The small spherical planets greatly focus the gameplay to the point where objectives and goals have an almost "2d" level of clarity. My younger sister loved Mario64 but finding those gameplay paths that lead to the star was too difficult for her. I have a feeling SMG will be right up her alley.

The_Dude

robertsan21 said:
the last seconds of the trailer, is that Olimarios SPACESHIP??
Olimario = Former GAF member
Olimar = star of Pikmin

Funny how often people get that wrong!

Oh, and the game looks awesome! Hopefully I'll have a Wii by the time it's released.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Order Sol said:
This is not a game, this is a vision of fun.
Was going to come in here and think of a creative way to say it looks great and like a lot of fun (I imagine most iterations have been used over the last 9 pages), but you summed it up nicely here. thanks.

TheIkariWarrior said:
really?

SMG looks much better than Excite Truck to me, especially because of SMG's framerate.
SMG might have a nice framerate, BUT..

you know that place in the back of your instruction manual that lets you write notes and codes and stuff? well in excite truck, if you take those notes pages and write down the names of your enemies, ****ing cocks fly out of your TV screen and rape everyone whose name is on those pages while ****ing ACDC and shit blares from your speakers.

that's how awesome excite truck is.

Christopher

eh I'm not too thrilled for the space gimmick I wanted the space section to be a part in the huge world - but hopefully it works out - nice looking video, but the next one can we see more platforming and less floating around? BEST parts of Sunshine, easily, hands down were the great platform levels.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jett said:
Lots of either delluded or overexcited people in here, or both. SMG looks pretty nice all things considered.

Care to explain, amigor?

Also, everyone bow to me for knowing Mario Galaxy would be shown.

jett

D-Member
Oblivion said:
Care to explain, amigor?

Also, everyone bow to me for knowing Mario Galaxy would be shown.

Some of the comments in this thread and in the keynote one speak for themselves.

bridegur said:
This game looks great graphically, but I do worry about the gameplay- From what I've seen, it seems to be fairly standard 3D Mario (outside of the scripted shooting through space segments). Besides some different gameplay I still hope Galaxy has greater level variety than we've seen. The water and Thwomp sections give me hope.

MasterMFauli said:
You´re right, but...i really wonder what the game´s overall structure will be. You know...when you save, where do you start the next time, and are you going to travel one path, without the possibility to backtrack...and so on.
Also, while Mario64/SMS were a bit too adventure-heavy, SMG could turn out to be to puzzle-heavy, looking how it seems that every little planet has its own little puzzle.

That's exactly the fact I'm really worried about atm! I really hope this Mario won't be like Mario64 and Mario Sunshine! 64 I have for DS and the only thing I played it was to get those damn bunnies with the minigames! Sunshine i bought because of filling the collection and a friend of mine said it is great. But it's nearly the same like 64! You've only got hands of big levels and then you have to go there again and again! That is really boring to me!!
No, not only boring, i hate it! That's why I stopped playing SMS after the World with the Harbour.

I really really hope that SMG won't be like these two. Perhaps it will be a HUUGE Level where you have to got through. Sometimes you find a Save-Stone to jump to and then you can go on. Like all the old Marios and New Mario Bros, but without Level Endings. Just one huge World :)

That would really be great!

TheIkariWarrior said:
really?

SMG looks much better than Excite Truck to me, especially because of SMG's framerate.

Tell me one thing!
Where in the screens or in these videos can you see the Framerate? Is there running Fraps and i don't see it? Please tell me!

Jammy

Banned
WOW

This and Super Paper Mario look amazing. It's good to see that Nintendo knows what its doing with the Mario franchise now. I'm sure the recent sales figures pointed them in the right direction. :)

Banned
I'm still not sure it'll come out this year, but Nintendo HAVE to say it is coz their yearly line up looks so weak. I'm sure there's secrets, but if they didn't announce this for this year it could have been some bad press time. The press seem to quickly forgive blatant lies for the chance of a quick headline.

This game looks so great! The puzzles could be mindblowing!

Yagharek

I'm quite impressed with the background view of the galaxy and all the little planetoids as well. Such a colourful and vibrant game, I cannot wait for this.

Wow. It looks awesome. I want a demo! Stick in on the Shop Channel, Demo channel. or even on the Super Paper Mario disc!! I just want to play some Super Mario Galaxy!

Holy Order Sol said:
This is not a game, this is a vision of fun.

Non game comfirmed. 3 million + in Japan alone.

snack said:
Wow. It looks awesome. I want a demo! Stick in on the Shop Channel, Demo channel. or even on the Super Paper Mario disc!! I just want to play some Super Mario Galaxy!

Which is why you'll have to wait and buy it. Oh snap!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Finally saw the video (just saw the pics earlier today), and O....M....G!!

I'LL NEVER BE UNHAPPY AGAIN!

Looking great! And what perfect timing -- Nintendo just made spring break that much better.

Seems it's been given some graphical polishing since E3.

Top Bottom