• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg on NextBox: E3 is all about the games, "tons of exclusives"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
In other news, the sky is blue.
I don't see what there is to discuss, really : Microsoft has tons and tons of cash to throw around to secure some third party exclusives, and now that Sony is financially fragile, there is no sense for them (Sony) to even try to compete on this front.

I think publishers have seen what happens when you try to build a new IP for a next gen and have the first installment as an exclusive- it ruins profit potential for the next few games. (See: the big gap of sales for the Bioshock series on PS3 vs Xbox, Mass Effect, etc.).

Heck, the major exclusive they nabbed with Rockstar ended up being a wash for them, as Take Two mentioned in a quarterly call that financially it wasn't worth it in the long run since it kept the team busy with small chapters when they should have been working on GTA V.

I think the exclusives will be for the games that don't rely on series growth (like the multi-only Respawn game that's rumored to be exclusive) but I think the age of major 3rd party exclusive games might be over. Instead of "and you can play it only on Xbox" you'll likely hear "and you'll be able to play it first, only on Xbox." We'll see.

I think publishers have seen what happens when you try to build a new IP for a next gen and have the first installment as an exclusive- it ruins profit potential for the next few games. (See: the big gap of sales for the Bioshock series on PS3 vs Xbox, Mass Effect, etc.).

Heck, the major exclusive they nabbed with Rockstar ended up being a wash for them, as Take Two mentioned in a quarterly call that financially it wasn't worth it in the long run since it kept the team busy with small chapters when they should have been working on GTA V.

I think the exclusives will be for the games that don't rely on series growth (like the multi-only Respawn game that's rumored to be exclusive) but I think the age of major 3rd party exclusive games might be over. Instead of "and you can play it only on Xbox" you'll likely hear "and you'll be able to play it first, only on Xbox." We'll see.

If Microsoft continues with their paywall and Sony keeps multiplayer free I can see the next Xbox getting timed exclusive deals once again.

I really hope that Greenberg doesn't start talking a lot with the new gen coming up. He was so annoying at one point during this gen when he was constantly bashing Sony. I believe he stopped (or at least I stopped hearing about him) at some point. Hope it stays that way.

Like I said, Sony wont be able to compete here.

Microsoft's goal is to repeat what it did at the start of this Gen; an absolute onslaught of moneyhats for exclusives, timed or otherwise, all focused on hurting the competition.

It will be a blood bath, and the media will love them for it.

If I were to guess, it might be the culmination of things that will definitely tip the favor of everything to Microsoft towards leading things to be a repeat of the 360/PS3/Wii gen, save for Wii rising to heaven for the Wii U. Microsoft doesn't fight fair. They are on a five year high as far as stocks and they are venomous when it comes to competition because the weather forecast is money, what the five course meal consists of is money and the clothes are made of money too. I believe that they let 3rd parties get their Scrooge McDuck on and let them swim in the moneybin for a while. Way too many important people are working on the next Xbox at Microsoft. Once I found out Dave Culter was working on the next Xbox, that's when I knew they took this to another level. He is a god at Microsoft and beyond.

The thing is this isn't Sony from the PS3 gen. MS had plenty of advantages early on because of Sony's not so smart decisions.

Once I found out Dave Culter was working on the next Xbox, that's when I knew they took this to another level. He is a god at Microsoft and beyond.

I thought people retired at 65? lol.

But yeah i agree. I know MS is going to be ahead of Sony in terms of software features. I don't have to wait to see what they show. They know how to make stuff work. There's one thing i'm looking forward to on tuesday; the UI of the next Xbox.

Tratorn

I'm sure we are also going to see some Sony 3rd Party exclusives also at E3.

Yes, Final Fantasy maybe.

But MS will probably have things like Ryse (Crytek), next Epic-IP, Titan (Respawn Entertainment), ...
Probably more exclusive DLC too.

I think Sony doesn't even have a chance to beat MS in this area.

It's burying time.

HHH.gif

It's funny because when I think of him HHH comes to mind.

I hope they come out swinging and really make the next few months a hell of a fight for the right reasons; not brand loyalty, but strong first party support, feature support, and technology. Would love to see some new first party IPs.

I really hope we don't see a bunch of money-hatting. It would be a huge shame to see MS buying exclusivity rights to a bunch of games rather than attempting to support their system with their own titles. (And I mean that for anyone paying for exclusivity deals, though I'm talking about full on game exclusivity, not timed exclusivity of DLC or other tertiary things that aren't as important.) We'll see though. I hope MS uses more than their checkbook to make the next xbox a compelling purchase.

Ricky_R

Yes, Final Fantasy maybe.

But MS will probably have things like Ryse (Crytek), next Epic-IP, Titan (Respawn Entertainment), ...
Probably more exclusive DLC too.

I think Sony doesn't even have a chance to beat MS in this area.

I really don't think Sony needs to beat MS in this area, they just need to stay in the fight and compensate with their extensive first party content. With their system being so dev friendly and versatile this time around, and with all the good decisions they've been making, I really think MS can't do as much harm with third party deals as they did this gen unless they secure COD or GTA exclusive games.

abadguy

Banned
I always get a little scared when MS is set to announce something. It's fear that they will take a massive shit on Sony.

I hope there's no repeat of FF13 with vs. Let me tell you guys my heart fucking sank when that happened. I almost cried. I'm serious.

I really hope that you aren't. I will never understand the meltdowns Sony fans had( amusing as they were) over that shit. I mean getting mad that a game is no longer exclusive even though PS3 owners would still get to play it?

Nintendo fans had the right to be angry. I still have the Gamefan issue with early concepts of FF7 when it was set to drop on the "Ultra 64". Only to resurface as a PS1 exclusive. Don't remember Ninty fans having a large scale meltdown at the time, but if they did it would have been justified.

Microsoft's goal is to repeat what it did at the start of this Gen; an absolute onslaught of moneyhats for exclusives, timed or otherwise, all focused on hurting the competition.

as of now it's safe to say the ps3 shipped more console than MS this gen and they did launching a year late and twice the price (or, things that wont happen this gen), just some perspective for your "bloodbath"

Sony wont be able to compete? *chuckles*

hMSs5JmqRpjt5u3cx4RnCVXTo1_500.jpg

Snakeyes

jRPG exclusives please. The Otaku in me is very excited. :D
I bet Microsoft will cater more the Japanimation than ever before.
Considering they want more 'weird' and 'obscure' games to hit Marketplace.
Weren't MS pretty much supposed to give up on Japan based on how the 360 performed over there this gen?

Alcander

What? What announcement does MS have that's going to equal FF13? It can't be vs, and there's no other game that can do that imo.

Really think you're putting too much stock in the FF brand there. It seems to be quite diminished these days, and the importance of an FF exclusive doesn't hold nearly the weight it did 5 years ago.

Fredrik

i'm beginning to believe.
I've never stopped believing, Sony might've announced a cool platform too but I firmly believe that we're going to see MS at the top spot this generation. They have the money, and they aren't rushing it to be first like current gen - it simply can't go wrong this time. Well maybe if they focus too much on Kinect...

Brokun

I've never stopped believing, Sony might've announced a cool platform too but I firmly believe that we're going to see MS at the top spot this generation. They have the money, and they aren't rushing it to be first like current gen - it simply can't go wrong this time. Well maybe if they focus too much on Kinect...

That could never happen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Need to dial back the expectations a little guys. Both parties have plenty of ammo.

This is what I've been saying for a while. Stuff like major, multimillion selling annual franchises aren't going to be going exclusive. The big exclusive games will be coming from known partners and from first parties. I expect big things from both MS and Sony in the coming months but some people have put their expectations through the stratosphere and will only be let down.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I own every console. I don't have any bias against consoles, let alone ones we know nothing officially about. I'll put you in the disappointed category.

Yes I'm sure my Xbox 360 and I will be disappointed with no matter what MS says since you know, I have no vested interest in Durango and all.

StuBurns

Banned

I feel like some people experienced a completely different generation to me. What onslaught? Since the PS3's release, MS hasn't had any notable third party exclusives I can think of.

MS might well win, they might well deserve to do so, but they won't do it buy just buying everything, they didn't do that last time, they didn't do it the time before, they won't do it this time either.

Lol at people saying Sony won't be able to compete. The only way Sony won't be able to compete is if MS got COD and BF as exclusives which is obviously not happening.

I expect:
Crytek Rise
Epic exclusive
Respawn with Titan
COD DLC

Yeah Sony's fine.

Midas

Do we have any idea how much exclusive DLC like map packs and such actually mean? I never pay for these things myself, but I guess I'm a minority here?

I really don't expect that many big surprises from 3rd Parties. All the major multiplats devs of this gen, will develop for PS4 and Durango. Frankly, I think the most either will get will be timed exclusives. I don't think we are in the same situation we were in as early next gen, potentially if the PS4 may be easier develop for.

Lakitu

st5fu
The following reasons will make me choose Infinity ahead of PS4...

1. No forced Kinect.
2. No used-games block.
3. No always-on.
4. Have a significant first-party line-up (non-Kinect shovelware).
5. Some form of BC

Into

Do we have any idea how much exclusive DLC like map packs and such actually mean? I never pay for these things myself, but I guess I'm a minority here?

CoD and most FPS games sold slightly better on 360, but you have to factor in that 360 launched a whole year ahead of the PS3 and has since been well ahead in North America.

If you then look at sales for FPS on consoles, most of them are in NA, a market that Microsoft is clearly ahead of Sony in.

So it is really hard to gauge just how much exclusive DLC really means in the end. I bet Activision and EA want to present it as very meaningful in order to get these deals with Microsoft. Because it clearly benefits them, but how much does it really benefit MS?

I bet CoDs and all the others would have sold better on 360 regardless of exclusive timed DLC, because of better initial online in Live vs a quite bad PSN at the start of this gen + 1 year headstart + Halo, which brings much of the FPS crowd with it, exclusive and all + 360 did better than PS3 in NA.

Top Bottom