• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella talks about the future of Xbox and multiplatform: "We are very happy with what's going on in gaming"

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
There is absolutely 0 communication from ms that this is happening yet you sony shills keep mentioning it 😆 🤣
I love being called a Sony shill. Makes my day, especially from one of the biggest zealots on this site who pretends to be neutral. :)

Anyway, I get it, you are scared to death of your favorite company dropping hardware. Fortunately, everyone paying attention sees the writing on the wall and it's simply a matter of time. Xbox, as a brand, will remain, but it's not at all outlandish to see the hardware ceasing to exist sooner rather than later.

Really, where's all that bullshit kumbaya that you've been spouting recently ("it'll be good for PlayStation/Switch players to experience Xbox games, bla, bla, bla")? Why does that evaporate when the mention of Xbox dropping hardware comes up?

Last edited:

graywolf323

With everyday that passes here, I think there's more Sony plants coming out of the wood work. Its like the message is to constantly spread fud that Microsoft are going full third party and dropping consoles yet there has been 0 communication to hints at the latter....or even full third party at all.

Shouldn't it just be people saying "cool, xbox games might come to playstation and switch" why does it mean hardware is ending?

What will the Sony industry line be from these shills or fanboys or whatever they are when Microsoft announce new hardware in the coming couple of years?
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

yes led by noted Sony shills like Jez Corden putting out articles

wait a minute…

Last edited:

DJ12

There is absolutely 0 communication from ms that this is happening yet you sony shills keep mentioning it 😆 🤣
OK so whats the USP if Microsoft gaming's output is on Sony and Nintendo devices?

Old tech controller with a thumbstick in the wrong place?

The knowledge that Microsoft is gifting you $200 of your consoles actual cost?

You like a toxic fanbase with several paid high profile idiots on twitter and YouTube?

Your a smart guy, don't play dumb.

MS is either pulling out of hardware or moving out of the traditional console space.

My guess high end (high cost) hybrid pc with console mode that boots into a completely different mode so there's limited windows bloat running in the background. Or maybe a cheap as chips xcloud device.

Both of these would not compete in the console price range for the mass market, but would add value to folks.

GHG

With everyday that passes here, I think there's more Sony plants coming out of the wood work. Its like the message is to constantly spread fud that Microsoft are going full third party and dropping consoles yet there has been 0 communication to hints at the latter....or even full third party at all.

Shouldn't it just be people saying "cool, xbox games might come to playstation and switch" why does it mean hardware is ending?

What will the Sony industry line be from these shills or fanboys or whatever they are when Microsoft announce new hardware in the coming couple of years?

Why are you going through the five stages of grief but in reverse?

Interfectum

How so? I love my Xbox Series X. The more games the better, what am I losing out on in this scenario?
Xbox would quickly become the worst proposition in terms of content. If MS goes mostly third party it will lead to a domino effect that renders your console irrelevant in the greater marketplace. Default third party exclusives for Xbox competitors would be the norm and not even have to be bribed by Sony.

Games by platform should they go full or even partial third party:

PC: MS, Sony, third party
PS5: MS, Sony, third party
Switch: MS, Nintendo, some third party
Xbox: MS

Who would bother buying an Xbox console when you can get MS games AND other games on another console of nearly equal price and quality?

Last edited:
I love being called a Sony shill. Makes my day, especially from one of the biggest zealots on this site who pretends to be neutral. :)

Anyway, I get it, you are scared to death of your favorite company dropping hardware. Fortunately, everyone paying attention sees the writing on the wall and it's simply a matter of time. Xbox, as a brand, will remain, but it's not at all outlandish to see that the hardware ceasing to exist sooner rather than later.

Really, where's all that bullshit kumbaya that you've been spouting recently ("it'll be good for PlayStation/Switch players to experience Xbox games, bla, bla, bla")? Why does that evaporate when the mention of Xbox dropping hardware comes up?

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

yes led by noted Sony shills like Jez Corden putting out articles

wait a minute…

OK so whats the USP if Microsoft gaming's output is on Sony and Nintendo devices?

You like a toxic fanbase with several paid high profile idiots on twitter and YouTube?

MS is either pulling out of hardware or moving out of the traditional console space.

My guess high end (high cost) hybrid pc with console mode that boots into a completely different mode so there's limited windows bloat running in the background. Or maybe a cheap as chips xcloud device.

Both of these would not compete in the console price range for the mass market, but would add value to folks.

Why are you going through the five stages of grief but in reverse?

Get behind me DenchDeckard DenchDeckard i'll protect you from these pony ass-fucking shills

How so? I love my Xbox Series X. The more games the better, what am I losing out on in this scenario?

The less and less your console sales the less third party support you will get it's that simple. BG3 was ready to skip Xbox if necessary. Think about that for a second. The GOTY was ready to skip your ecosystem over a policy it had in place and the devs would have been easily able to do it simply because your ecosystem doesn't drive enough software sales to warrant them jumping through the necessary hoops.

If they go third party or even partially third party I expect to see console sales drop even more. Devs already hate the Series S this is well known. If sales drop enough devs might not even see the point and will stick to PC\PS. Hell they might even start doing PC\PS first than Xbox at a later date.

tl/dr: if 'all new releases day 1' game pass goes cross-console platforms, there's absolutely no reason, at that point, to buy a console limited to game pass / third party releases, when both & more are available elsewhere...

Last edited:
The less and less your console sales the less third party support you will get it's that simple. BG3 was ready to skip Xbox if necessary. Think about that for a second. The GOTY was ready to skip your ecosystem over a policy it had in place and the devs would have been easily able to do it simply because your ecosystem doesn't drive enough software sales to warrant them jumping through the necessary hoops.

If they go third party or even partially third party I expect to see console sales drop even more. Devs already hate the Series S this is well known. If sales drop enough devs might not even see the point and will stick to PC\PS. Hell they might even start doing PC\PS first than Xbox at a later date.

I don’t really care if certain major third party games skip Xbox. If I really wanted BG3 I could’ve just gotten it for my Steam Deck. 🤷‍♂️. Xbox still has a decently large marketshare in the US, and Larian and the publisher absolutely wanted the game on Xbox and didn’t want to pass up the commercial opportunity.

They’re having a tough cycle this generation, but still a lot of players on the Xbox

Last edited:

Darsxx82

?? That's not even close. The possibility of not launching in XSeries was never on the table because both parties always continued working to find a solution.

Larian herself stated that not releasing the game on XSeries would have been a major blow to her revenue predictions. For them, the option of not launching it in XSeries was never raised, only that there was a technical/technological impossibility to fulfill an MS mandate that they could not fulfill on time.

The XSeries user base is interesting enough for Studios and publishers to continue releasing their games. At least the vast majority of them. Think that even more games are coming to XSeries than were coming to XBO

3rd party support for XSeries is not going to suddenly stop at this point. It has had it since day 1 with 0 units on the market.
You are simply exposing a situation where MS launches a new console and does so without accompanying it with any exclusive game (not even temporary), nor any extra incentive to acquire it (the specific hardware, prices, gamepass...) no extra incentive and that makes its sales hardly reach 25 million during its entire life (~7 years).

XSeries has already overcome that "dangerous" situation. The next XBOX? It remains to be seen, but I highly doubt that MS will ever think of launching new console hardware and that it will not be accompanied by great exclusives that can make it as successful as possible while being in an unbeatable position for that.

Quick thought: It's pretty interesting Satya said "Xbox and consoles", that's a pretty specific way of framing it. For a while I've said that MS don't really have to stop making Xbox "consoles", but that they would shift the business model away from the traditional console and could position Xbox systems more like PC NUC and laptop-style gaming devices. Basically do for them what the Surface division already does for their Windows devices.

In fact, they could basically just shift the Xbox hardware side under the Surface division, combine the R&D budgets, and make some innovative Xbox NUC & laptop/tablet style gaming-centric Windows compatible devices that can do well with modest volumes of production (5 million or so per year), run regular Windows (with an Xbox UI side disabling all unnecessary processes, and an optional Windows desktop/laptop/tablet UI environment), priced to make profit on each unit sold (similar to what they already do with the Surface devices, but with more reasonable MSRPs), and can get regular hardware refreshes every couple of years in terms of specs, form factors etc. The PC NUCs could even allow for some upgradability of RAM, storage, and possibly low-profile GPUs and PSUs.

And if that opened them up to basically being multiplatform in their releases, what exactly does Xbox lose other than that traditional console business model, which hasn't really worked out so well for MS as a platform holder anyway? Yes the Colteastwoods and Kid Smooves will have massive meltdowns, if they aren't goaded along to accept the change, but that's their problem plus they're more talk than standing behind threats to leave Xbox. A solid Xbox NUC equivalent in performance to a PS5 Pro or beyond, with upgradable system RAM and possibly low-profile GPU & CPU, optimized for Windows gaming through the familiar Xbox UI environment, can justify a reasonable premium for nice profit margins upfront when taking into account it can also run regular Windows in a typical desktop environment for those who want it.

Just keep some of that console R&D around, combine it with the strengths of the Surface division's hardware teams, keep the peripherals going (obviously), and I bet you almost all of these Xbox zealots and quite a few more suddenly buy into a hypothetical $799 or $899 (or even $999) Series Z Xbox NUC that still offers everything Xbox currently does, and can also offers Windows and modular upgradability on top of it. You'd finally be able to get VR support on an Xbox to boot 😉.

It really does just make too much sense for them at this point, and you probably still get the odd Flight Sim or Halo Wars-like PC exclusive (which by default would also make it an "Xbox" exclusive) for those who are vehemently on about that type of stuff because they want to go back to 2007 and never leave. Plus it lets MS actually back up their talk and be about bringing their games to "all gamers": if the platform can run the game without too much effort in changes for optimization, there's little to no reason that platform shouldn't get the game Day 1. It'd mean no reason for Nintendo to not get the next HiFi Rush Day 1, or PlayStation to not get the next Gears of War or even Halo Day 1. If people still want to get those games on Xbox, maybe for example because Game Pass still isn't on Sony or Nintendo (tho in this scenario I'd expect MS could work out a deal with both Sony & Nintendo for Game Pass akin to what EA and Ubisoft already have for PlayStation), they can do so. But now it's an actual choice, no more "we're for more games for gamers everywhere but we're still gonna play the exclusivity game just because!" contradictions.

And ironically, this scenario could actually help make the platform MS have a lot of vested interests in, PC, be even more competitive against PlayStation and Nintendo. Because yes, they do compete with PC, even Jim Ryan has said so. And for PlayStation in particular I think it'd really force them to begin opening the platform up to a more "microcomputer" type of offering slate with various curated productivity software support (maybe even such developed by Sony's own software teams, like imagine a car modeling-centric AutoCAD software suite from Polyphony Digital for PlayStation systems) to better compete with the choice variety the PC platform provides, while leaning into PlayStation's software & hardware design strengths geared towards embedded systems. Could also push Sony to get more creative with their value proposition for the subscription service, too.

Ironically, Microsoft taking this path could make them MORE competitive with Sony (and Nintendo) than they currently are today with where Xbox Series is at, because that platform as-is, honestly is just a carbon knockoff of PlayStation in the eyes of most people. This direction could actually help to change that and more fully unify MS's gaming initiatives. I think folks like Moore's Law Is Dead (who also talked about Xbox taking a direction similar to this in a recent podcast) can see this bigger picture, and why it's actually quite lucrative for MS and Xbox.

Even some of the Xbox diehard zealots are starting to, very slowly, see the bigger picture, even if they're kicking and screaming along the way. Like I said, a lot of them are stuck in the console war mentality of the late '00s, when the 360 was dominating PlayStation in the US & UK. Where they felt Xbox as some spiritual successor to SEGA, finally got revenge for Saturn & Dreamcast against Sony (even if the vast majority of problems that hurt those consoles were SEGA's own mistakes and had little to do with Sony (or Nintendo, who benefitted from the problems of both as well but rarely gets any "blame"). These people wanted to see PlayStation go extinct during the 7th gen and they're still praying it can happen today, that's why they're so hostile towards the brand in gaming discourse.

Well, Sony have moved well past that and apparently now so too have Microsoft, which circles back to why I feel Satya phrased the response the way he did. He could have said "various console platforms such as, for example, Xbox", or "Xbox and other devices/systems", or even "Xbox and other consoles"...but he said "[which is] Xbox and consoles". If you think of Xbox as a console in the sense of the traditional business model, why isolate it from mention of other consoles as if it's not in fact seen as a console anymore in that way? The context and framing of words to me, might suggest that internally Microsoft are already moving steadfast in the direction of what I've been talking about in the above. They're just going to be very measured in how it's messaged, so many might not even realize what's happened until probably a year or two out from now.

Interesting times, indeed.

StueyDuck

I actually heared that 🍎 was making the phone for nokia but nokia thought it wasn't worth it. They would be rich if they would release the phone 🍎 innovated.
nah apple doesn't exist. Only Nokia makes Smart phones, didn't you hear, they changed the world with the phone they never released... some guy on the internet said so :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well we heard rumors from insiders of MS launching next gen early, which seems very peculiar

Hardware won’t end, but probably scaled back dramatically and sold at a profit to a more niche crowd

We have Nadella and MS shills coming out saying directly that MS is going third party

This isn’t something being planted by Sony shill sources

This is exactly what I want and what I hope in this scenario. Release hardware that's sold at a profit and go all out on it. If I could buy a 799 xbox I'd be over the moon. I'm sure quite a few million other people would do the same.

Last edited:

DJ12

This is exactly what I want and what I hope in this scenario. Release hardware that's sold at a profit and go all out on it. If I could buy a 799 xbox I'd be over the moon. I'm sure quite a few million other people would do the same.
doesn't Series X already cost that much to make. or at least it did, they definitely didn't go all out on it.

Realistically, you'll be looking at a $1000 device. MS don't sub other hardware divisions, and in many situations massively overcharge, so I think you need to get real.

Fabieter

nah apple doesn't exist. Only Nokia makes Smart phones, didn't you hear, they changed the world with the phone they never released... some guy on the internet said so :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Okay I think we are running in circles just like the apple product lines so we should stop right here.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Anyway, I get it, you are scared to death of your favorite company dropping hardware. Fortunately, everyone paying attention sees the writing on the wall and it's simply a matter of time. Xbox, as a brand, will remain, but it's not at all outlandish to see the hardware ceasing to exist sooner rather than later.

I am 100 percent on board with Microsoft games being on every platform, I think it's an amazing opportunity for everyone.

also, I'm not scared to death that they drop console, I just don't want them to stop releasing Hardware or some form of xbox os nuc PC system that I can put in my bedroom.

Itsnpeople like you that are equating games coming out on other platforms as the death of their hardware business but there has been absoluteoy zero communication from microsoft or the ms shills that this is a possibility. Itsnpeople like yourself that are making these wild fantasy wet dreams up.

Thumstick is in the right place. There's only one manufacturer that doesn't use offset sticks....

I do not like a toxic fanbase, I see toxic fans on both Sony and MS side and I refuse to go on twitter or watch any bullshit youtubers.

The second half of your post I am complete agreement of and hope that it is ultimately microsofts approach to hardware and xbox.

To add, There is no way series x costs 799 to manufacture.

Last edited:
I am 100 percent on board with Microsoft games being on every platform, I think it's an amazing opportunity for everyone.

also, I'm not scared to death that they drop console, I just don't want them to stop releasing Hardware or some form of xbox os nuc PC system that I can put in my bedroom.

Itsnpeople like you that are equating games coming out on other platforms as the death of their hardware business but there has been absoluteoy zero communication from microsoft or the ms shills that this is a possibility. Itsnpeople like yourself that are making these wild fantasy wet dreams up.

Thumstick is in the right place. There's only one manufacturer that doesn't use offset sticks....

I do not like a toxic fanbase, I see toxic fans on both Sony and MS side and I refuse to go on twitter or watch any bullshit youtubers.

The second half of your post I am complete agreement of and hope that it is ultimately microsofts approach to hardware and xbox.

Bro don't do it it's what those crusty cunts want. Stay behind me

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Oh yeah, my wild fantasy. You are GAF’s projector. This bothers you much more than any garbage fantasy your green mind conjures up about any of us.

Stay on topic. It’s not about a preference. Their recent moves suggest this is where they’ll eventually be with hardware. If not, great, but like I said, it’s not outlandish given what’s happened thus far.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
doesn't Series X already cost that much to make. or at least it did, they definitely didn't go all out on it.

Realistically, you'll be looking at a $1000 device. MS don't sub other hardware divisions, and in many situations massively overcharge, so I think you need to get real.
Yeah, whatever the price is if they did that, I don't expect it to be sold at a loss.

The XSX would be what, 599, 650 in that scenario?

DJ12

It released at 499 (I googled it cannot remember), and it's documented here that every Series X console was (maybe still is with all the discounts) sold at a $200 loss.

so thats 699, you ain't getting a massively more powerful devices for $100 more.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Oh yeah, my wild fantasy. You are GAF’s projector. This bothers you much more than any garbage fantasy your green mind conjures up about any of us.

Stay on topic. It’s not about a preference. Their recent moves suggest this is where they’ll eventually be with hardware. If not, great, but like I said, it’s not outlandish given what’s happened thus far.
Hahaha, your wild 😆 I think you have a gross error in your thoughts of me.

I dont want microsoft to stop making hardware. Im literally saying that but theres far many more things to worry about than if it really became reality.

you think hardware will discontinue, I don't think they will lose their hardware in that way. I think it could become something else, but I feel that they will still make something.

lets see what happens over the next couple of years.

if microsoft are getting out of hardware there is absolutely 0 chance they will release another box.

so will you be happy to admit you were wrong if another xbox piece of hardware is announced. If your not banned by then.

Will you make an avatar bet?

It released at 499 (I googled it cannot remember), and it's documented here that every Series X console was (maybe still is with all the discounts) sold at a $200 loss.

so thats 699, you ain't getting a massively more powerful devices for $100 more.

I don't think you will get massively more powerful but a 100 dollar envelope on a piece of hardwares bom can get you a lot. Especially if its creating silicone with amd on an apu.

There's various things they could do. More memory etc.

They only need to break even or make a small profit. So, I think they could make something quite decent for 799/899. If it's marketed in the right way.

"It's not your traditional console" etc

Last edited:

All PS and Xbox consoles sold nowadays are sold at a loss, and long gone are the days when the prices for the consoles diminish over time. That won't happen any longer, either. Xbox and PS subsidize console sales by releasing at an attractive price point, in the hopes they will gain a recurring revenue stream with each console purchased, and make their money back on the invesment through software, accessory, and subscription sales.

Even Nintendo barely made anything on the OG launch Switch at $299, and they've been complaining for two years now that they have a worse margin on Switch OLED model at $350 because of the higher component costs.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If we start hearing the ms shills saying Ms are dropping hardware, then like many say on here, they've obviously received their marching orders and trying to turn the tide. Until that happens, I'm not listening to any nutters saying otherwise.

IDappa

Quick thought: It's pretty interesting Satya said "Xbox and consoles", that's a pretty specific way of framing it. For a while I've said that MS don't really have to stop making Xbox "consoles", but that they would shift the business model away from the traditional console and could position Xbox systems more like PC NUC and laptop-style gaming devices. Basically do for them what the Surface division already does for their Windows devices.

In fact, they could basically just shift the Xbox hardware side under the Surface division, combine the R&D budgets, and make some innovative Xbox NUC & laptop/tablet style gaming-centric Windows compatible devices that can do well with modest volumes of production (5 million or so per year), run regular Windows (with an Xbox UI side disabling all unnecessary processes, and an optional Windows desktop/laptop/tablet UI environment), priced to make profit on each unit sold (similar to what they already do with the Surface devices, but with more reasonable MSRPs), and can get regular hardware refreshes every couple of years in terms of specs, form factors etc. The PC NUCs could even allow for some upgradability of RAM, storage, and possibly low-profile GPUs and PSUs.

And if that opened them up to basically being multiplatform in their releases, what exactly does Xbox lose other than that traditional console business model, which hasn't really worked out so well for MS as a platform holder anyway? Yes the Colteastwoods and Kid Smooves will have massive meltdowns, if they aren't goaded along to accept the change, but that's their problem plus they're more talk than standing behind threats to leave Xbox. A solid Xbox NUC equivalent in performance to a PS5 Pro or beyond, with upgradable system RAM and possibly low-profile GPU & CPU, optimized for Windows gaming through the familiar Xbox UI environment, can justify a reasonable premium for nice profit margins upfront when taking into account it can also run regular Windows in a typical desktop environment for those who want it.

Just keep some of that console R&D around, combine it with the strengths of the Surface division's hardware teams, keep the peripherals going (obviously), and I bet you almost all of these Xbox zealots and quite a few more suddenly buy into a hypothetical $799 or $899 (or even $999) Series Z Xbox NUC that still offers everything Xbox currently does, and can also offers Windows and modular upgradability on top of it. You'd finally be able to get VR support on an Xbox to boot 😉.

It really does just make too much sense for them at this point, and you probably still get the odd Flight Sim or Halo Wars-like PC exclusive (which by default would also make it an "Xbox" exclusive) for those who are vehemently on about that type of stuff because they want to go back to 2007 and never leave. Plus it lets MS actually back up their talk and be about bringing their games to "all gamers": if the platform can run the game without too much effort in changes for optimization, there's little to no reason that platform shouldn't get the game Day 1. It'd mean no reason for Nintendo to not get the next HiFi Rush Day 1, or PlayStation to not get the next Gears of War or even Halo Day 1. If people still want to get those games on Xbox, maybe for example because Game Pass still isn't on Sony or Nintendo (tho in this scenario I'd expect MS could work out a deal with both Sony & Nintendo for Game Pass akin to what EA and Ubisoft already have for PlayStation), they can do so. But now it's an actual choice, no more "we're for more games for gamers everywhere but we're still gonna play the exclusivity game just because!" contradictions.

And ironically, this scenario could actually help make the platform MS have a lot of vested interests in, PC, be even more competitive against PlayStation and Nintendo. Because yes, they do compete with PC, even Jim Ryan has said so. And for PlayStation in particular I think it'd really force them to begin opening the platform up to a more "microcomputer" type of offering slate with various curated productivity software support (maybe even such developed by Sony's own software teams, like imagine a car modeling-centric AutoCAD software suite from Polyphony Digital for PlayStation systems) to better compete with the choice variety the PC platform provides, while leaning into PlayStation's software & hardware design strengths geared towards embedded systems. Could also push Sony to get more creative with their value proposition for the subscription service, too.

Ironically, Microsoft taking this path could make them MORE competitive with Sony (and Nintendo) than they currently are today with where Xbox Series is at, because that platform as-is, honestly is just a carbon knockoff of PlayStation in the eyes of most people. This direction could actually help to change that and more fully unify MS's gaming initiatives. I think folks like Moore's Law Is Dead (who also talked about Xbox taking a direction similar to this in a recent podcast) can see this bigger picture, and why it's actually quite lucrative for MS and Xbox.

Even some of the Xbox diehard zealots are starting to, very slowly, see the bigger picture, even if they're kicking and screaming along the way. Like I said, a lot of them are stuck in the console war mentality of the late '00s, when the 360 was dominating PlayStation in the US & UK. Where they felt Xbox as some spiritual successor to SEGA, finally got revenge for Saturn & Dreamcast against Sony (even if the vast majority of problems that hurt those consoles were SEGA's own mistakes and had little to do with Sony (or Nintendo, who benefitted from the problems of both as well but rarely gets any "blame"). These people wanted to see PlayStation go extinct during the 7th gen and they're still praying it can happen today, that's why they're so hostile towards the brand in gaming discourse.

Well, Sony have moved well past that and apparently now so too have Microsoft, which circles back to why I feel Satya phrased the response the way he did. He could have said "various console platforms such as, for example, Xbox", or "Xbox and other devices/systems", or even "Xbox and other consoles"...but he said "[which is] Xbox and consoles". If you think of Xbox as a console in the sense of the traditional business model, why isolate it from mention of other consoles as if it's not in fact seen as a console anymore in that way? The context and framing of words to me, might suggest that internally Microsoft are already moving steadfast in the direction of what I've been talking about in the above. They're just going to be very measured in how it's messaged, so many might not even realize what's happened until probably a year or two out from now.

Interesting times, indeed.
Steam access on the next Xbox seems like it could be a good bonus.

Microsoft bought Activision for the sole reason to sell Activision, Blizzard and King games on all platforms. I think people are taking this the wrong way and Microsoft’s exclusive franchises will remain exclusive to Xbox and PC.

If we start hearing the ms shills saying Ms are dropping hardware, then like many say on here, they've obviously received their marching orders and trying to turn the tide. Until that happens, I'm not listening to any nutters saying otherwise.
As long as large enough numbers of people buy their hardware, they'll keep making it. But I think we all know the eventual endgame, even if it's 10-15 years from now, is consoles as we know them today don't exist, and everything is wireless/ streaming/ from some kind of mobile-like device that connects seamlessly to your TV.

Nintendo had to pivot hard and abandon the idea of stationary home consoles entirely, in order to be successful with the Switch. It's a semi-performant mobile chipset in a tablet form factor, that has some basic functions that largely mimic what current consoles can do.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They’re not dropping hardware, they’re going to double-down on GamePass with an extremely cheap cloud only console to try get more people through the door.

IvMhiaV.jpg

Perhaps the games going everywhere is to supplement if that fails.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Hahaha, your wild 😆 I think you have a gross error in your thoughts of me.

I dont want microsoft to stop making hardware. Im literally saying that but theres far many more things to worry about than if it really became reality.

you think hardware will discontinue, I don't think they will lose their hardware in that way. I think it could become something else, but I feel that they will still make something.

lets see what happens over the next couple of years.

if microsoft are getting out of hardware there is absolutely 0 chance they will release another box.

so will you be happy to admit you were wrong if another xbox piece of hardware is announced. If your not banned by then.

Will you make an avatar bet?
Nah, I think I have you spot on. You turned something about Xbox hardware into something about me, because people can't think this without being a "shill". Then there's stupid stuff like "if your not banned by then". Banned for what, exactly? None on my record in the 10 years I've been here. You've been here for far less, but can the same be said there? :goog_tongue:

In any case, no, I don't care for an avatar bet because I'm not that emotionally invested. The important thing to me is owning all relevant devices, which I do, so no consequences will be suffered either way. But, I, like many others here, can see them exiting hardware based on how things are going, while doubling down on software and still staying in the game (like SEGA).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nah, I think I have you spot on. You turned something about Xbox hardware into something about me, because people can't think this without being a "shill". Then there's stupid stuff like "if your not banned by then". Banned for what, exactly? None on my record in the 10 years I've been here. You've been here for far less, but can the same be said there? :goog_tongue:

In any case, no, I don't care for an avatar bet because I'm not that emotionally invested. The important thing to me is owning all relevant devices, which I do, so no consequences will be suffered either way. But, I, like many others here, can see them exiting hardware based on how things are going, while doubling down on software and still staying in the game (like SEGA).

OK, we will see :)

I am the same too. I own all the hardware that I want to own, and I own a lot. :)

And trust me, you have me wrong. Nothing in this console stuff emotionally bothers me. I just have all the fun I could want with Nintendo stuff to noy care about Sony and MS fanboys fighting over console sales when they release like 1 decent game a year.

Last edited:
That was proven wrong in their last financial where they stated that their were offsets due to losses on hardware.
Yep. It’s the only way for them to stay in the console business now and be competitive. Unless we want $800 MSRP devices instead of $500.

Last edited:
I bought the Series X to play Starfield on my tv lol. But I regret nothing. Having 360 BC is pretty fuckin sweet.
you can connect a pc to a tv too though. 360 BC isn't actually BC, it downloads and requires internet to play, you wont be able to play "BC" when they take the servers down eventually.

Ev1L AuRoN

I think Sony and Nintendo would know better, the last thing they need is that their install base stops buying games to live off services, specially one from the competition.
I'm okay buying ABK games, Bethesda games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This would be like some alternate earth where Superman and Lex Luthor become best friends and rule earth together, making Brainiac the hero.

I agree with this possibility however, and I think it's highly likely MS does this or teams up with Legion Go/ROG Ally.

Regardless they need to fix their portable interfaces so that they are much, much better and less resource heavy than what they currently are now.

I think MS can build a lean portable more akin to the oled steam deck, better quality controls, 100% console interface like the switch. Throw in some sort of dock and you have a winner.
Most mass market gamers don't want to tinker.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Serious question...if someone wanted into the console space why would they team up with Microsoft? I love my Xbox, but the last couple of generations of Xbox haven't gone in a way that should make someone want to choose Microsoft as the partner that will bring them success there.

If we're being serious I don't see anyone champing at the bit to jump into the console space. Console gaming is largely stagnant from an overall growth perspective. Console growth is slowing in relationship to PC and mobile. It would take more time and money than would be reasonable to capture market share that could sustain a new entrant.

Apple could have entered the console space by now if they really wanted to. They don't need Microsoft's help. But their focus on mobile is much more lucrative. Pretty sure they're just going to stay focused on being a leader in mobile gaming. I think the best case from them would be an improved Apple TV that plays mobile games as well as iPhone or iPad.

The reason why Apple would consider this is no upfront cost and potential exclusive titles. They have no software companies or experience in the area. It would be a rebirth, with the apple logo on it, if it had some sort of monster dual M3 chip in it, there might be something there.
They definately need somebody's help or buy every other publisher left. I know it's unlikley though, they aren't exaclty best friends. I think a MS / Nintendo alliance would be more likely.

Top Bottom