• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Retail sources talk used Xbox One games, £35 for used game in UK [U2: Eurogamer]

Yes there can be. Xbox is always online and PS4 ain't. The biggest reaosn (imo) that Sony will not do this is because used games is a massive thing in Japan and this will hurt them there.

Japan still relevant going into next gen?

Not sure it will be. Hasn't the market almost exclusively shifted to mobile and handheld gaming?

Woggerman

Banned
This is just the classic old flawed argument:

This is missing a huge part of the equation. Where did GameStop *get* that disc to resell in the first place? It didn't magically appear. They didn't counterfeit it. It's a new game that was sold to someone at full price. And that consumer -- especially given how quickly they traded the game in -- is not stupid. They're factoring in the game's resale value when they purchase a new game in the first place. It's not necessarily a "lost sale" in the aggregate, which is what we are talking about, because some percentage of that cash was only spent in the first place because it was being spent on a durable good with significant resale value.

And then, of course, there's a good chance that guy got the money to buy your new game in the first place because he traded in his old games.

The point is that this is a complex situation, and that this idea that there is a 1:1 relationship, that a used game bought is a "lost sale," is fallacious. I'm not saying for sure that it's a net negative or a net positive once all the dust has settled, I'm saying it is not knowable and that Microsoft and publishers are messing with something that nobody truly understands because we've never had an A-B test.

Again: Not necessarily. It is entirely plausible that the existence of a robust used market could be an overall boost to the fortunes of the game platform, since cheaper games mean a lower barrier to entry, which means more customers, which means more revenue for Microsoft from consoles, accessories, Xbox Live subscriptions, etc.

So again: Extremely complex system, impossible to unravel with any certainty. I don't think Microsoft is concerned that they're losing money off used games sales, I think they have a broader vision that involves bringing all game ownership permissions into "the cloud," which necessarily means moving the notion of "possession" from the disc to the account.

Used games are not the target, they're an innocent bystander.

Actually it's very simple to understand. 5 million copies of a new game get sold. Over the lifetime of the product 2 million get traded in and resold. That's 7 million copies being played by individuals, yet only 5 million were bought from the publisher. Your argument that that trade in went to a purchase of a new game only works part of the time, because they may also get cash or trade in for other used games. It may also be toward a game for another system or other publisher. The fact is the one gaining the most is the store doing the used game trading and sales. The next one is the consumer who was able to get some money toward another product and the publisher gets nothing. This has and will continue to be an issue for a while until something changes. This is what is happening now. We don't like it, but the system is broken. The consumer is getting 40% of what its worth and the store is selling it for 10% less than a new copy so they make a 50% margin. think about it.

i understand why people seem unbrushed by this anti-consumer act that MS is trying to pull.

if sony did this, i would be as angry as ever, but also sad, since all my gaming exclusive is there. (see ND)

whilst not support this disgusting advaancement to take away our right and limit the way we buy things, i would feel dissapointed by the fact i can't play those great games...

- for MS, i don't give a shit about any of their games, so it's an easy matter.

but seriously.

the bad outweights the good.

Tobor

See the paragraph immediately before that one.

So, in other words, they really want to go full digital distribution, but can't due to bandwidth restrictions and retailer pressure. Instead we get this compromise scenario, adding the benefits(and restrictions!) of digital purchases to physical purchases.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes there can be. Xbox is always online and PS4 ain't. The biggest reaosn (imo) that Sony will not do this is because used games is a massive thing in Japan and this will hurt them there.

He's talking about actual game prices which a used game market actually effects to some degree. It may lead to large discrepancy in price occurring more commonly in a games lifetime.

ReaperXL7

This would make used games pointless...

No way Sony doesn't follow through with this. There simply can't be a game price discrepancy between platforms.

Sure there can, Sony is not beholden to play fair with Microsoft. Microsoft has no control over how Sony conducts their busniess, and the likelyhood that western publishers are going to dictate otherwise to a company who gets a large chunk of its support from outside of the US is pretty crazy. COD, and Battlefield are big inthe US no doubt but on a worldwide basis they are a blip on the Radar for Sony as a whole.

Dizzy

Banned
When a new console comes out the games are usually full RRP and remain high for quite a while. It's only later in the gen where everything comes out lower than rrp and gets knocked down even further with a few months.

So if on launch week every game is £50, £35 isn't bad at all. Can't remember what used game prices were back when 360 launched but I'm sure they weren't £15 cheaper.

That said Microsoft having control could be deadly if they don't lower the prices in a realistic way. I remember Perfect dark being 1.99 pre-owned at retail and £20 for a DD on Xbox marketplace.

Spongebob

Banned
If rumors are true and used game sales start at $50, what do you think those games sold as new would cost? Nothing under $50 that's for sure.

I think Sony and gamers would be fine paying $60 for a new game instead of the $50-$59 if it means they can buy used games at under $50.

I just don't see Sony doing this (remember they said they didn't have a console enabled DRM feature and they aren't requiring online at all).
Sure there can, Sony is not beholden to play fair with Microsoft. Microsoft has no control over how Sony conducts their busniess, and the likelyhood that western publishers are going to dictate otherwise to a company who gets a large chunk of its support from outside of the US is pretty crazy. COD, and Battlefield are big inthe US no doubt but on a worldwide basis they are a blip on the Radar for Sony as a whole.
I hope you guys are right.

i understand why people seem unbrushed by this anti-consumer act that MS is trying to pull.

if sony did this, i would be as angry as ever, but also sad, since all my gaming exclusive is there. (see ND)

whilst not support this disgusting advaancement to take away our right and limit the way we buy things, i would feel dissapointed by the fact i can't play those great games...

- for MS, i don't give a shit about any of their games, so it's an easy matter.

but seriously.

the bad outweights the good.

Again, we all know that a digital-only, no-resell future is coming, and we have known this for a long time. It's just coming a generation earlier than we expected, at least for Xbox. Anger at Microsoft over this is kind of silly. Choosing to not buy their system if this model doesn't appeal to you, however, is not silly.

Axis

Actually it's very simple to understand. 5 million copies of a new game get sold. Over the lifetime of the product 2 million get traded in and resold. That's 7 million copies being played by individuals, yet only 5 million were bought from the publisher. Your argument that that trade in went to a purchase of a new game only works part of the time, because they may also get cash or trade in for other used games. It may also be toward a game for another system or other publisher. The fact is the one gaining the most is the store doing the used game trading and sales. The next one is the consumer who was able to get some money toward another product and the publisher gets nothing. This has and will continue to be an issue for a while until something changes. This is what is happening now. We don't like it, but the system is broken. The consumer is getting 40% of what its worth and the store is selling it for 10% less than a new copy so they make a 50% margin. think about it.

Do you honestly think the 2 million that would get traded in and sold would be bought new if a cheaper used option wasn't available? Why is it broken? Why should the publisher get to determine what I get to do with my game after I purchase it as far as re-selling it goes?

Socky

I think Microsoft is actually trying to get away from the retail model and having everyone buy games online on their store, instead. If they manage to make the average joe think "well the disc is useless!" then they'll only buy online. Then who wins? Nobody but MS.

My thought too. To me the Xbone is an online only console in conception, but unfortunately for Microsoft it has to take into account current limiting factors such as the prevailing retail-disc environment. By making used games unattractive and online/the cloud more attractive, they can eventually lock out retail-disc and sell the majority of games through their own store. They probably consider this inevitable anyway, they just have the opportunity now of helping things along.

Hero

Games that are traded in to Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. are mostly used to fund the purchasing of new games. Remove that and you're most likely going to sell less copies than before.

Again, we all know that a digital-only, no-resell future is coming, and we have known this for a long time. It's just coming a generation earlier than we expected, at least for Xbox. Anger at Microsoft over this is kind of silly. Choosing to not buy their system if this model doesn't appeal to you, however, is not silly.

and who decided the limitations of digtial ownership in contrast to physical?

MS is trying to rebrand their products as services (which i don't think is correct) and in doingso, generating more control for their products that are in the hands of the consumers.

Steam only works because its cheap. MS's online prices, while not competing with other online stores, will never be that low..

by implementing this used-game-online-only-gaming-is-a-service mentality, they're breaking my ownership, and what comes with it.

ReaperXL7

Japan still relevant going into next gen?

Not sure it will be. Hasn't the market almost exclusively shifted to mobile and handheld gaming?

To a Japanese company Japan will likely always be a relevant market. They likely wont move as many units as they have in the past but people will still buy the PS4 as long as pricing is not insane, and Sony are not going to inact policies that would hinder that further. They could obviously, but I would believe its very unlikely.

Also if rumors of FF exclusivity, continued tales of support, Yakuza, etc are still produced for the PS4 it will sell in japan.

Makki

Best part of all this crap where you don't really buy a game anymore, but a license to use it...

You will still be asked to pay 60 bucks for new games.

Hope I'm proven wrong and now that publishers+retailers get money from resales means games will be cheaper just like PC releases being 10 bucks less than console ones.

Malice215

I wish MS would have went to an all digital route, because this scheme is highly ridiculous and anti-consumer.

I'm not having any part in it. Next-gen gaming isn't that important to me to put up with this mess. Vote with your wallet.

Woggerman

Banned
Do you honestly think the 2 million that would get traded in and sold would be bought new if a cheaper used option wasn't available? Why is it broken? Why should the publisher get to determine what I get to do with my game after I purchase it as far as re-selling it goes?

The publisher should not have a right to tell you what to do with it. You would not be profiting off of it. If you want to be able to sell it to a friend for $40, you should be able to. You would still be taking a loss or at the very least break even. My argument is that the reseller in this case is buying it and reselling it over and over again at a profit margin of 2.5 times than that of selling a new copy. While no money from that profit goes back to the publisher/developer or system seller.

Pubs get nothing except more day 1 sales for their Yearly Sequel

If EA was offering to buy back titles for $30 alongside GS offering 20, you don't think everyone'd send them in to EA? Now EA has 100% of the money of the used market!
Oh but that requires effort, a new strategy, a new online business and perhaps a risky storefront business! Let's just shut down Madden servers after 2 years to force an upgrade instead.

quest

Not Banned from OT
How are they going to verify you own the game before they remove it from your account?

Do you login to the store? Do you just give them your GamerTag? Do you pre-register for trade-in at home?

My guess is there is something to scan on the disk that has a unique code. The system finds which account the game is attached to. Then you will put some sort of pin or password in at the register to verify you are the account holder. Then the game is removed from your account and that unique code can be registered to a new machine.

Dali

When a new console comes out the games are usually full RRP and remain high for quite a while. It's only later in the gen where everything comes out lower than rrp and gets knocked down even further with a few months.

So if on launch week every game is £50, £35 isn't bad at all. Can't remember what used game prices were back when 360 launched but I'm sure they weren't £15 cheaper.

That said Microsoft having control could be deadly if they don't lower the prices in a realistic way. I remember Perfect dark being 1.99 pre-owned at retail and £20 for a DD on Xbox marketplace.
and this is the type of deal I fear we may no longer see. Old over produced games for a pittance. Cheap deals on amazon and eBay. Garage sales...

Games didn't always used to have such huge budgets, but then again the cost to consumer of individual games was MUCH higher. Hell, SF2, in the early 90s, sold for something like 90$ to consumers. Translated with inflation to today, that's around 150$. You see where I'm going with this? It's not only that publishers made bets, it's that game production costs have gone WAY up and game prices have not adjusted as much throughout the years.

And once again, that's their problem - either cut production costs or increase what you charge for the video game.

patapuf

So if I'm understanding this right, Microsoft / EA / Activision have decided to shift buying power of consumers into profit power of corporations? And they think this will help the industry?

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....

It will help EA, Activision and MS.

Even if people buy less games COD, Fifa ect. will still be bought. The big publishers would get bigger/higher marketshare.

MS gets a cut on everything, so they profit as well.

Jezbollah

If we see a difference between how used games are handled with the PS4 and XBone, I can see a standard business practice in place in high street shops. The most space is set aside for products that you earn the biggest margin from - In UK stores you dont see much space dedicated to PC gaming since Steam became popular - I see that happening for the next Xbox. It's perfect business sense.

The Wii U and (if they choose to use the current used game policy) the PS4 will be virtually all you see in a games store - and that could be huge come Christmas.

mattp

How are they going to verify you own the game before they remove it from your account?

Do you login to the store? Do you just give them your GamerTag? Do you pre-register for trade-in at home?

they most likely read the disc, it sends the id up to xbox servers which know the game is registered to you and allows gamestop to deactivate it

lockload

I definitely want to be able to have my games on my multiple systems (obviously one at launch but later one upstairs) and not need the disc to play

For this to happen there has to be some form of online checking or i would just rent every single game, install it and never buy one

Im still waiting to see how sony will accommodate this as i want the flexibility to be able to trade in afterwards.

Buying off PSN digitally is not an option im willing to do (0 trade in)

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think the adults here are forgetting they have jobs now and aren't kids anymore.

A few of us tried to explain it earlier in this thread. How lending/used games/selling games helps kids get into the hobby. Then when they get a job can buy games and support the industry. If you take this away there will be no future to gaming since it will be to expensive for anyone with out a job to get into. Hell parents are buying tablets as gaming machines for the kids for 1 dollar games.

TimeKillr

This is missing a huge part of the equation. Where did GameStop *get* that disc to resell in the first place? It didn't magically appear. They didn't counterfeit it. It's a new game that was sold to someone at full price. And that consumer -- especially given how quickly they traded the game in -- is not stupid. They're factoring in the game's resale value when they purchase a new game in the first place. It's not necessarily a "lost sale" in the aggregate, which is what we are talking about, because some percentage of that cash was only spent in the first place because it was being spent on a durable good with significant resale value.

And then, of course, there's a good chance that guy got the money to buy your new game in the first place because he traded in his old games.

The point is that this is a complex situation, and that this idea that there is a 1:1 relationship, that a used game bought is a "lost sale," is fallacious. I'm not saying for sure that it's a net negative or a net positive once all the dust has settled, I'm saying it is not knowable and that Microsoft and publishers are messing with something that nobody truly understands because we've never had an A-B test.

From my understanding talking to higher placed people in the industry, for big publishers, it's a net negative once the dust has settled, because in the end they end up selling less than they would have if no used games were available. It's definitely a lost sale when it occurs while the title is selling actively in the marketplace, because a customer was willing to spend money on it, did so, and the publisher did not get a penny out of it. It's quite simple for them, really, and believe me, big publishers like Activision, Ubisoft and EA would much rather (and typically do) mark down their titles and sell them new than losing sales to used games. Once the game's total dev costs have been recouped (it doesn't happen often but hey) every new sale is profit, every used sale is a loss of potential profit, which is much easier (and realistic) to calculate than it is from piracy.

Again: Not necessarily. It is entirely plausible that the existence of a robust used market could be an overall boost to the fortunes of the game platform, since cheaper games mean a lower barrier to entry, which means more customers, which means more revenue for Microsoft from consoles, accessories, Xbox Live subscriptions, etc.

So again: Extremely complex system, impossible to unravel with any certainty. I don't think Microsoft is concerned that they're losing money off used games sales, I think they have a broader vision that involves bringing all game ownership permissions into "the cloud," which necessarily means moving the notion of "possession" from the disc to the account.

Used games are not the target, they're an innocent bystander.

I will agree with you that a robust used market does mean an overall boost to the console sales itself as it creates a more accessible platform. That is highly plausible.

My only question then would be why would they want to bring all game ownership permissions into the cloud? What do they have to gain from that, besides analytics?

Daingurse

LOL at selling used games or renting them being "legalized piracy".

Some people have really been brainwashed. Are used car lots hardware pirates? What about car rental services like Herz?

I am about sick of the entitlement that exists in the video game, movie, and music businesses at the highest level.

This. I always hear that gamers are too entitled, but we don't even compare to these fucking game comapnies. They feel entitled to our money simply by default.

Yeah, I mean what happens if your game gets stolen and someone trade it in? It means you not only lose your disc copy but your rights to play the game also.

I'm guessing you'll have to deactivate the game on your account before you bring it to Gamestop to sell to prevent that type of thing.

mafuchi

Neo Member

What we know is a digital future is coming, we don't know how they will be handled. Current US 1st sale laws dictating the buying and selling of used products were written in the 70s (they mention phonorecords as a product). This is an issue that will be legislated or the higher courts will make a clear ruling.
My bet is on digital resale as the EU has already OK'd this and Steam is in Legislation in Germany over used digital games. The US supreme court just upheld consumerists right to resell foreign goods, my money says they'll be all for digital resell.

1st sale doctrin - http://goo.gl/8lGb5
EU resell desicion - http://goo.gl/Qu2fg
Supreme court 1st sale - http://goo.gl/rVg7e
Valve sued by Germans - http://goo.gl/IPYtC

ascii42

I'm guessing you'll have to deactivate the game on your account before you bring it to Gamestop to sell to prevent that type of thing.

Gamestop would need to have a way of deactivating, or at least verifying that the game was deactivated. Otherwise, you could buy a game from GameStop that the previous owner conveniently forgot to deactivate.

Axis

The publisher should not have a right to tell you what to do with it. You would not be profiting off of it. If you want to be able to sell it to a friend for $40, you should be able to. You would still be taking a loss or at the very least break even. My argument is that the reseller in this case is buying it and reselling it over and over again at a profit margin of 2.5 times than that of selling a new copy. While no money from that profit goes back to the publisher/developer or system seller.

They have as much of a right to do it as I do. However good or bad that may be.

QaaQer

What we know is a digital future is coming, we don't know how they will be handled. Current US 1st sale laws dictating the buying and selling of used products were written in the 70s (they mention phonorecords as a product). This is an issue that will be legislated or the higher courts will make a clear ruling.
My bet is on digital resale as the EU has already OK'd this and Steam is in Legislation in Germany over used digital games. The US supreme court just upheld consumerists right to resell foreign goods, my money says they'll be all for digital resell.

1st sale doctrin - http://goo.gl/8lGb5
EU resell desicion - http://goo.gl/Qu2fg
Supreme court 1st sale - http://goo.gl/rVg7e
Valve sued by Germans - http://goo.gl/IPYtC

Mine too. Even in a corrupt democracy like USA, telling hundreds of millions of people they cannot resell digital goods would mean defeat at the polls and orgs like the MPAA have only so many cushy retirement jobs available.

Doodis

How is this model different from Steam or any other digital sale? You can't trade back in your Steam games or lend them to a friend, can you? The only difference I see is that the physical disc is the means of transferring the digital data, and it's something you can actually trade back. Aside from that, it's just like making a transaction in a digital marketplace, is it not?

This comes from someone who rents tons of games via Gamefly. I'm not happy about this personally, but I understand it from a business and developer/publisher viewpoint.

It's simply the Steam model but with perks (trading the disc back in).

What Gamestop's CEO is NOT telling you that reselling those used games is garnering them a 40%-60% margin versus their 20% margin for new ones.
Here is how it works:
When a game comes out for a retail of $59.99, the store buys it from the publisher for $48.
The consumer buys it for full price and the store makes 20%.
(Just to let you know, as I was a Manager for Electronics Boutique for almost 8 years and a buyer for 3 for them, the min margin for a store to stay profitable was about 35%)
From here on out the publisher made their $48 on the first purchase.

A month later, the consumer brings back the game to trade in toward a new game. he/she gets $25 for a game they will resell for $49.99 or $54.99 dependent on the popularity. This equates to a 50+% margin that the store makes. The publisher makes nothing.

When I was there as a buyer, it was discussed that each used copy was traded in an average of almost 4 times during the life of the game.(It may have gone up or down since then, but I will use 4 as an example)

Due to the declining price over the life of the used product, each game would make approx $50+ for the store in profit. It would take an additional 4 copies of that game to be sold new at the full price for the store to make that profit.

To a Publisher and Console Seller that is $192 in license fees and developer/publishing/marketing costs that are lost.

This is just to put in perspective what really is going on here. I'm not saying that I don't think you should have the right to sell the game on your own. I actually do think you should have the choice to. But please don't feel bad for stores like Gamestop or Best Buy. They have been exploiting and making far more money than anyone realizes. That over $1 billion dollars in sales of used product is more than 30% of their bottom line.

Yeah, but in your scenario the $192 is spend by 5 people, each of whom on average spend about $35 on the game.

So what happens is now a new game comes out and NONE OF THEM pay $60, because it's only worth $35 to them. So they wait until the game drops to $35 to buy it. So now the revenue to the publisher is EXACTLY THE SAME as it was before they banned resells.

QaaQer

How is this model different from Steam or any other digital sale? You can't trade back in your Steam games or lend them to a friend, can you? The only difference I see is that the physical disc is the means of transferring the digital data, and it's something you can actually trade back. Aside from that, it's just like making a transaction in a digital marketplace, is it not?

This comes from someone who rents tons of games via Gamefly. I'm not happy about this personally, but I understand it from a business and developer/publisher viewpoint.

for the 1001 time: steam has competition, is not a platform holder, and they may have to, in fact, allow reselling in the future.

Everybody saying NO RENTING - how do you know that MS can't get a deal in place with Netflix where they have special moveable licenses?

Given that it sounds like the discs are uniquely coded (DIVX discs were too) instead of using user-input serial codes, it's conceivable that they could sell rental outlets special rental discs that work differently. Discs that install to the HDD but that you have to leave in the drive, or that you have to insert once a day, for example.

And of course they could sell these rental discs at a higher price.

It would be interesting if renting was all on Microsoft's end, as in pay for a 3 day digital download license at some stupid cost, split with MS and the developers/publishers.

Who knows what will happen.

There are several advantages steam holds that MS will never implement.

Their not nearly analogous situations.

Steam is free outside a computer.
Steam has other retailers that sell keys, hell Amazon is having a great sale now.
Steam isn't an entity for a publicly traded company.
Steam allows for mods.
Steam embraces user generated content

To name a few. I trust Steam with prices. MS hasn't lowered the price for Office in years, I doubt they'll lower game prices digitally either.

Top Bottom