• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliciel

Imagine sitting in darkness, playing some game and suddenly Kinect starts fucking up and says someone else is in the room with you.

..and then you can clearly see him. It's Balmer. He was listening to your phone calls and chats in skype and saw you farting and fapping through the always on cam. Then he saw you flashing the usb drive of your xbone in order to play used games - 1 week after the new DRM patch release, build by some mediocre hacker in europe while preparing his lunch. Balmer came to take away your used games and show you their new gaming deals.. for how much money do you think? $500? $400? $300? §200? Nooooooooo it's just $199,99 for a new game DRM is awesome! Microsoft is awesome, I looove this company!

What if Sony comes out and says, "It's up to each publisher if DRM will be used, but our first party titles will be not be implimenting DRM."

I think that's the best that's coming from this honestly.

That's what they did with region locking on the PS3. Seemed to work out quite well except for one very well known example.

Finally back home. A lot I need to update. In the meantime...

XlD5JW0.png

I said damn.

I tried talking to couple of random japanese people and all I got was;
We don't care about MS, overseas issue, we care about Region free and there has not been comment from sony about anything.

I did post here couple of times about Japanese translation (of important parts) but got nothing out of it.

Shame about that, the moment Sony and MS go for a walled garden approach with product identification they can also say goodbye to Region Free.

I think they vaguely said that

Did they? If they said anything I thought it was pretty vague so nothing could be gathered from it. All this DRM talk has been pretty crazy since the Xbox1 reveal though. Hard to keep shit straight.

I think as a consumer, I could live with "it's up to the dev's, our first part titles will not use DRM".

Should be interesting to see how this shakes out though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What if Sony comes out and says, "It's up to each publisher if DRM will be used, but our first party titles will be not be implimenting DRM."

Theres nothing good about that. At all.

If they can't reassure people that the discs they buy act the way actual physical discs should work then they should just adopt the same policy as MS.

There is a -huge- difference between this and region free games. Most publishers don't care about the latter because theres literally no perceived money loss there.

Amatsu

Neo Member
I apologize if someone has already mentioned this but, what about getting @daraobriain involved? Irish comedian who loves video games and has almost 1.4 million followers on twitter.

ironcreed

Banned
lol, from that section.

"Kinect used its facial recognition to scan a room full of people and note if there was someone in the room it didn't recognize. It then told the console owner that there is someone in the room it didn't recognize and asked the new person to identify themselves"

Kinect sounds like a dick.

*Shakes head* Who in the fuck would want that in their house?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this has been making the news on a lot sites today. Proud of all you guys for taking a stand and making our voices heard. Let's keep it going!

ins0mnia

They very well might do this, since publishers (notably Atlus in recent memory) have been known in the past to use region lock as a way to prevent Japanese gamers from importing games (like P4A) for less than they would pay in Japan.

If they can't reassure people that the discs they buy act the way actual physical discs should work then they should just adopt the same policy as MS.

There is a -huge- difference between this and region free games. Most publishers don't care about the latter because theres literally no perceived money loss there.

I completely disagree.

I would rather have the option of boycotting publishers while supporting others. I don't think "it's up to publishers, our 1st party games will be DRM free" is as bad as the current stance MS has taken.

If sony comes out and says this, I can buy a PS4, play all the indie titles and 1st party games I would play and then choose to support a 3rd party publisher based on their DRM policies. If they choose to go with MS's route, I'm fucked no matter what.

I would say 50% of my current games are 1st party.

Does someone here run the BroKenGaMezHD on Youtube here? LTTP lol? I really like this video he made. Straight to the point.

Gotta say I'm surprised how kind youtube comments have been for this campaign.

For those interested, I started tracking #ps4nodrm yesterday at 7:40 PM (french hour, that would be 9:40 AM PST, I think) on Hashtrackings. Here's where we are so far:

https://www.hashtracking.com/reports/ps4nodrm/ps4nodrm/W46Xu41y

It's missing the first 12 hours of the movement, when the hashtags were at their peak. Also, this is just a report, it doesn't update in real time.

If only we knew back then... Cool though!

edit: what the hell kind of a unit is "Reach" ? :]
edit:
Reach is the number of unique individuals who received timeline deliveries* of hashtagged messages.

You can forget about that. There's no way that Sony is going to tell publishers what they have to do when it comes to something like that. For good or bad they have a history of letting publishers do what they want for the most part. They don't make many features mandatory with their console. Trophies were one of the few things that became mandatory on the PS3. Other things like screengrabs, Youtube support etc. were completely up to the developer.

At this point the best that we can hope for is that they won't implement system level DRM and will instead leave it up to publishers. Could that mean that some publishers will use it? Possibly, but that's a hell of a lot better than every single one of them.

I could live with that, but only if it was really DRM agnostic. In other words, let the publishers put their own DRM abominations on the market, don't offer them a built-in unified infrastructure, don't take a share of the profits on second-hand sales.

dosh

If only we knew back then... Cool though!

edit: what the hell kind of a unit is "Reach" ? :]
I see you've found out yourself. The timelines unit is interesting too: "Timeline Deliveries represent the total possible number of times someone could have viewed a particular message. We use the follower count of the original tweeter and add the followers of any re-tweeters to generate the total number of timeline deliveries for each and every hashtagged tweet."

Another cool feature is the "Top list" on the left (where you can see that Fake Kaz and Joe Vargas did a great job).

Seriously though. Someone like Shinji Mikami could make something that could REALLY fuck with you in that scenario.

1) fuck that for a laugh
2) kojima would do some bad ass stuff with kinect, though
3) hmmm...

[edit] add illumiroom to the mix and you've got yourself a little box of nightmares.

Oh man, if that was used well, it could be brilliant. Until someone gets accidentally shot anyway.

..and then you can clearly see him. It's Balmer. He was listening to your phone calls and chats in skype and saw you farting and fapping through the always on cam. Then he saw you flashing the usb drive of your xbone in order to play used games - 1 week after the new DRM patch release, build by some mediocre hacker in europe while preparing his lunch. Balmer came to take away your used games and show you their new gaming deals.. for how much money do you think? $500? $400? $300? §200? Nooooooooo it's just $199,99 for a new game DRM is awesome! Microsoft is awesome, I looove this company!

wat

farisr

I had tweeted Yoshida and Koller before we had hashtags to use (I am tweet #68 to Yoshida since this thing started, first 100 baby! LOL). Probably won't tweet them again, but I am going to start making my way down the list (1 tweet per hour) with the hashtags in them, and then maybe make a proper hashtagged tweet to yoshida and koller once I'm completely done with the list.

I'm thinking of making a "games I wouldn't have discovered/bought new if used game blocking and retail game drm was implemented in past gens" compilation video.

Need a better title for it.

And honestly if someone could even figure out a great descriptive yet short hashtag for that and people could start listing out games they bought brand new due to the absence of drm and allowing of used games in previous gens in tweets, that could work out decently as well, well at least I think so.

Okay that link was very helpful, but right after I got this from twitter.

This account, @xSlasherMcGirkx, was suspended for sending multiple unsolicited mentions to other users.

Uh what? I was suspend for tweeting on twitter?

It's because so many others have tweeted the same tweet. Just enter the captcha and your account will be unlocked. It's happened to be 3 or 4 times now, lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Okay that link was very helpful, but right after I got this from twitter.

This account, @xSlasherMcGirkx, was suspended for sending multiple unsolicited mentions to other users.

Uh what? I was suspend for tweeting on twitter?

That happens to new users that constantly tweet the same hashtags and to specific people.

Stuart444

So Nick from Rev3 clued me into why the hashtag may not be so big in Japan...

bEFimMS.png

To be fair, that's if you just translate no to の instead of いいえ (which means 'no'). I'm not sure any Japanese person that knows English and Japanese would translate it to the particle の instead of the word いいえ.

But I don't know, that's just a guess. I don't know any Japanese people that can help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom