• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be more than happy if they leave it up to the publishers and not throughout the whole system. Kinda explains the timed-exclusives for the X1.

So I said I would go to bed, but after dinner and a jog I decided to upload a story to the tumblr. English isn't my first language so I'm not sure how well it came out, but it should be good enough. :) Now I really need to go to bed.

Replicant

A little humor:

iGpVCeVzdBTUf.gif

Keep it up guys! Just tweeted again :)

Do it with this GIF too:

ibl6ueTCaFIDxY.gif

Imagine sitting in darkness, playing some game and suddenly Kinect starts fucking up and says someone else is in the room with you.

tumblr_lnbss0Ezy51qfk3va.gif

Stuart444

If you want to send a tweet to a JP person and not sound like a bot, I recommend including either some english text or Japanese text like:

読むお願い http://www.ps4nodrm.com/ #PS4DRM反対 #PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES

Which should mean (I hope) "Please Read (link + hashtags)"

Just because people may not look at something if they just see a link. They may just assume it's a bot or something.

Gold Member
Beats me. Though to be fair it may not be every person at IGN. But some have voiced their support of it on podcasts.
It's probably a safe bet they are worried it could hurt their ad revenue if they come out and support something like this. Also if they are being fed the 'were dying because of used games' line from the pubs they might be thinking shit there goes our bottom line, best get behind this! I can see why they wouldn't, but it hasn't stopped others so it still sucks :(

Just had this comment on the website:

bEOtR1Y.png

So, it is resolved: when specifically targeting Japanese individuals/devs, let's use the hash tag #PS4DRM反対. Hopefully we can get some momentum going over there and have a Japanese counterpart pick up the torch. USA and Europe are one thing, but Japan probably needs a dedicated "organization" of its own.

#PS4DRM反対

Just an FYI, Heath was my roommate in college and he knows his shit. He spent a while in Japan doing translating work and he has helped me out on numerous occasions with translations.

Would those Japanese accounts really be the best people to tweet? One of them is a developer and the other three are VAs. I know the perspective on used games is probably a little different in Japan but I don't think a dev is really in a position to support something like this. The VAs could work I guess but I'm a bit wary about trying them since when we contacted American VAs we had Troy Baker respond with #buynewsupprtdevs bullshit. I shouldn't be comparing Japanese people so much with Americans but I think it would be more effective to find the twitter accounts of their media outlets.

ins0mnia

If you want to send a tweet to a JP person and not sound like a bot, I recommend including either some english text or Japanese text like:

Which should mean (I hope) "Please Read (link + hashtags)"

Just because people may not look at something if they just see a link. They may just assume it's a bot or something.
Do you know how to say 'DRM' or 'region lock' in Japanese?
I'm thinking of whipping up a quick Google translated message, but I feel like the point will be lost if the person I tweet doesn't know what DRM is.

Stuart444

Do you know how to say 'DRM' or 'region lock' in Japanese?
I'm thinking of whipping up a quick Google translated message, but I feel like the point will be lost if the person I tweet doesn't know what DRM is.

Google translate isn't the best to use anyway. It would make the message sound a lot weirder.

Japanese websites like 4gamers do use the words in English "DRM" though so I assume they would know what that is.

Sony's consoles are massively popular in emerging markets. These are countries where an internet connection is not always guaranteed. Surely Sony knows how much online-based DRM would affect them.

Regarding this whole, MS or no MS in title debate; I think if this can cause a change at Sony for the better it will have follow on effects on MS.

The point is to provide a stronger position to those arguing internally to not use DRM, since there's no internal consensus. There's also been actual response from those being tweeted and from insiders here to show that the message is being heard. In splitting focus you run the risk of not only diluting the message, but also that you actually strengthen the position of those arguing for DRM, that is "similar consumer outpouring was targeted at Microsoft and they're proceeding as originally planned, so we should do the same."
Theres nothing good about that. At all.

If they can't reassure people that the discs they buy act the way actual physical discs should work then they should just adopt the same policy as MS.

There is a -huge- difference between this and region free games. Most publishers don't care about the latter because theres literally no perceived money loss there.
The less adoption and uniformity the better though. Should some opt in system eventuate, regardless of this campaign it allows consumers to vote with their wallet in a clear manner really in supporting publishers that don't try to limit their post-purchase transactions.

ins0mnia

Google translate isn't the best to use anyway. It would make the message sound a lot weirder.

Japanese websites like 4gamers do use the words in English "DRM" though so I assume they would know what that is.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that.
If I were trying to say "Please retweet" should I use お願い致しますor お願い? Also, does the RT come before, or after?

Stuart444

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that.
If I were trying to say "Please retweet" should I use お願い致しますor お願い? Also, does the RT come before, or after?

I'd go with 「RTお願い」 myself. (ignore the 「」 Japanese quotes lol).

edit: I see your post lol, that looks fine to me :)

ins0mnia

I'd go with 「RTお願い」 myself. (ignore the 「」 Japanese quotes lol).

edit: I see your post lol, that looks fine to me :)
Thanks for the help! I really hope it gets retweeted, 5k+ initial views could snowball pretty fast.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Over a half million views in under 3 days. Amazing.

My internet went down for several hours but scanning the thread it doesn't look like I missed much new news. Did CNN pick it up yet or still no word back?

Stuart444

Someones being aggressive:

lewis hoggarth @lewishoggarth
@RockstarGames You cant hide R* ill tweet every hour on the hour for a response. Whats your stance on DRM #Ps4NoDRM

Is Aggressive the best way to describe that?

Sera O

Banned
I don't use twitter but I submitted something on the tumblr. Thanks for keeping this going, everyone. Even if it doesn't influence anything in the end and this is the point at which I move entirely to PC, at least we tried.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Tweeted to all the PS people again. Said how I discovered the greatness of the Uncharted series through buying the first one used.

MogCakes

Quoting this for this thread:

Not sure if this is the result of this threads efforts per se, but it does offer an encouraging insight into the question of whether efforts will go noticed.

It's at least partly responsible if people are doing both Xbox and PS4 tweets. This is good news.

Anyone found any new YouTube videos that could be featured on the videos page? I'm trying to decide if I should combine the videos page with "Links" and add a new tab to connect directly to the tumblr.

What do you guys think?

Also, 8k uniques so far today.

Gold Member
Anyone found any new YouTube videos that could be featured on the videos page? I'm trying to decide if I should combine the videos page with "Links" and add a new tab to connect directly to the tumblr.

What do you guys think?

Also, 8k uniques so far today.
I'd leave it as it is. No doubt more videos will become available soon and there is three in there already, it doesn't look too bad.

Why not add the tumblr link on the homepage?

Freki

There's a post on the technology subreddit about the news on NBC: link

This subreddit has 3m subs so a little help to make them see it couldn't hurt...

Aenima

I guess Press Liberty do not aply to videogames industry as most of the articles from game websites have been removed already... *sigh*

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Quoting this for this thread:

Not sure if this is the result of this threads efforts per se, but it does offer an encouraging insight into the question of whether efforts will go noticed.

But it's something. Better than what we were getting before.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Great job everyone. Keep tweeting all the big publishers and key figures. Very proud to be part of this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom