• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Leunam

giRXAhF.png

Hammer24 said:
Canada is a track that needs lot of traction. To get a good laptime cars have to go aggressively over the kerbs. To limit this, FIA heightened the turn 9 kerbs by 50mm for this year.

This year will again see two DRS zones, but the second one will be shorter than 2011. The setup will go for flat-angled rear wings to get the necessary top speed on the long straights, and soft suspension for the traction coming out of the slow corners.

The weather is forecast to be rather cold, and even rainy; so the tyres shouldn't become critical. The asphalt is one of the least abrasive, which should help too.

As the track has no fast turns to speak of, and with the heavy emphasize on traction and no expected tyre problems, expect RBR to dominate the weekend. I see Merc and FER fighting for the last podium spot, as LOT wont be able to play their tyre saving trump card (additionally, the pit stop in Canada is one of the fastest of the year).

2012 Race Summary

As required by the qualifying regulations, the top 9 qualifiers all started on the faster red-banded super soft tyres, with 10th placed Jenson Button who did not set a time in Q3 choosing to start on the yellow-banded softs. The remaining drivers had a choice of tyres; Kimi Räikkönen, Nico Hülkenberg, Sergio Pérez, Pastor Maldonado and Pedro de la Rosa opted for the softs, the remainder for the super softs.

The race got off to a clean start, with Sebastian Vettel taking the early lead from pole. There were no big changes behind him, as Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Nico Rosberg and Felipe Massa all staying in their respective places. Pastor Maldonado made up a few places after starting 22nd. Massa passed Rosberg for fifth soon after, with the latter soon losing another spot to Paul di Resta. Di Resta was unable to keep the pace of the top 5, and a gap formed up between the first 5 and the rest of the pack.
Massa had started closing in on Webber after passing Rosberg, but he then spun and dropped down to 12th, at the tail of the second group led by di Resta. At the head of the field, Vettel built a two second lead in the first four laps over Hamilton, but then Hamilton slowly started reeling him back in as the super softs slowly began to wear out. Before the first round of pit stops, Hamilton closed right up to Vettel and started to get held up, with Fernando Alonso taking the opportunity to join the leading two. The stops started as early as lap 13 for Massa, and on lap 14 for di Resta and Michael Schumacher. Vettel stayed until lap 16 before pitting, handing the lead to Hamilton who came in on the next lap and rejoined ahead of Vettel, despite a slow pitstop.

Alonso stayed out two laps longer than Hamilton and, helped by a quick pitstop was able to rejoin in second place, ahead of Hamilton and Vettel and only behind temporary leader Romain Grosjean who was yet to pit. Hamilton immediately attacked him in the DRS zone on the same lap and succeeded to take 2nd place, which became the lead two laps later when Grosjean pitted. Webber was unable to keep up with the leading trio in the first stint and thus, after his stop rejoined behind the yet to stop Sergio Pérez and Kimi Räikkönen, and got held up behind the duo. This left the leading trio of Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel with a gap around 15 seconds to the rest of the field, with the McLaren driver being able to edge out a lead over his two pursuers.

On lap 24 Narain Karthikeyan was the first retirement after spinning on turn 1 and pulling over shortly afterwards. Shortly afterwards, his HRT team-mate Pedro de la Rosa stopped in the pits with worn-out brakes and didn't re-emerge.

Räikkönen and Pérez, running 4th and 5th having started on the soft tyres both had a long first stint as they tried to make the race on a single stop. With Webber being held up behind the duo, this allowed both Grosjean and Nico Rosberg to close up on him. Rosberg made his second stop on lap 40, one lap before Räikkönen made his only stop. Räikkönen rejoined in front of Rosberg, but Rosberg was able to pass him in the DRS zone on the same lap, just as Hamilton did on Alonso earlier. Pérez made his stop on lap 42 and rejoined in between the duo, in 8th place. Michael Schumacher's run of bad luck continued when he left the pits on lap 43 with his DRS flap open was running 9th. He returned to the pits but the team were unable to close the flap, forcing his retirement.

Hamilton was able to open up a 4 second lead over Alonso, with Vettel being initially held up by the Spainard, but unable to keep up with him as the Ferrari driver found the grip in his tyres. As the stint wore on, Alonso was able to pull clear of Vettel and close down Hamilton's lead to just over 2 seconds, and Hamilton decided to make a second stop for new tyres. He rejoined in third, 9.5 seconds behind Vettel and 13 behind Alonso, and just ahead of Webber and Grosjean who were fighting for 4th. Both Alonso and Vettel realized that they do not have enough of a gap to make another stop and rejoin ahead of Hamilton, so they stayed out and attempted to complete the race without stopping again in an attempt to win.

The battles continued to rage behind the leading trio, as Grosjean started to attack 4th placed Webber. The Red Bull driver decided to make a second pitstop for new tyres and rejoined in 8th place, behind Rosberg and Pérez, but ahead of Räikkönen. Felipe Massa, who was unable to regain the places he lost due to his spin, was now back up to 5th place as he too attempted a one-stopper. That did not work out however, and Rosberg had closed right up to him by lap 55, and brought Pérez, Webber and Räikkönen along. Rosberg attacked Massa on the DRS zone, but overshot the last chicane and had to give the position back. Pérez took advantage of this and was right behind Massa, which meant that he too was able to get the jump on Rosberg when he handed the place back to Massa. He then passed Massa on the same lap, with Rosberg also going through, this time doing the job cleanly. The Brazilian had enough, and pitted for a new set of tyres and rejoined in 10th place, where he stayed till the end.

Hamilton on his newer tyres was rapidly gaining on Alonso and Vettel at the front at over a second a lap. As the race entered the latter stages, the tyres of Alonso and Vettel had began to totally wear out, and their lap times now dropped by 3 seconds a lap. Hamilton passed Vettel on lap 62, and Alonso two laps later to take the lead, but the tyres of the latter two were so worn that they were vulnerable to the rest of the field. Vettel decided to stop for new tyres on lap 64 and rejoined fifth behind Grosjean and Pérez, who had broken away from the battle between Rosberg, Webber and Räikkönen. Alonso decided to stay out on his totally worn tyres and was passed by Grosjean on lap 66, Pérez one lap later, and a charging Vettel on the penultmate lap. Lewis Hamilton had no trouble reeling off the last 6 laps once he had taken the lead and became the 7th different winner in 7 races. Grosjean and Sergio Pérez achieved their 2nd career podium finishes as they finished second and third respectively. Vettel recovered to 4th, only 2 seconds behind Pérez at the flag. A frustrated Alonso dropped to 5th ahead of Rosberg who had an up and down race finishing 6th, fending off Webber and Räikkönen. Kamui Kobayashi finished a respectable 9th place in the other Sauber with Massa getting the final point in 10th.

XA2bzTz.png

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
70​
Circuit length
4.361 km (2.709 mi)​
Race length
305.270 km (189.694 mi)​
Lap Record
Rubens Barichello - Ferrari - 2004 - 1:13.622​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Michael Schumacher (7)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
McLaren (13)​

Previous Winners & Pole Positions

2012 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:13.784​
2011 - Winner: Jenson Button - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:13.014​
2010 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:15.105​
2009 - Race Not Held

2008 - Winner: Robert Kubica - BMW Sauber
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:17.886​
2007 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:15.707​
2006 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Renault
Pole: Fernando Alonso - Renault - 1:14.942​
2005 - Winner: Kimi Räikkönen - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Jenson Button - BAR Honda - 1:15.217​

Video Highlights

History of F1 from the drivers perspective

Highlights from the 1988 Canadian GP (30 Minutes)

Highlights from the 1982 Canadian GP (30 Minutes)

Highlights from the 2012 Canadian GP

Highlights from the 2011 Canadian GP

Highlights from the 2008 Canadian GP

Changes from 2012

-Gravel and grass around the outside of turn eight and the apex of turn nine has been replaced with asphalt.

-A ‘speed bump’ approximately 50mm high and 500mm wide has been installed parallel to the track edge on the driver’s left before the apex kerb in turn nine (around the outside of turn eight). Another has been installed to the driver’s left after the apex kerb in turn 14.

-Additional guardrail posts have been installed in places where the spacing between them was greater than 2m.

GP Facts

-McLaren is the leading constructor at the Canadian Grand Prix with 13 victories, to Ferrari’s 11 and Williams’ seven. Nine of McLaren’s total came at this circuit, including a hat-trick of victories in the past three years.

-Michael Schumacher is the leading driver at this race by some distance, with seven victories. Lewis Hamilton is the only multiple winner in this year’s field. He has three victories here (2007, 2010, 2012). Other winners racing this year are Kimi Räikkönen (2005), Fernando Alonso (2006) and Jenson Button (2011).

-Of the seven braking points at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, four have loads in excess of 5G, the harshest of which is the approach to the hairpin, at which cars will brake from 300kph down to a first-gear 60kph for the tight turn.

-The Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve offers a rare opportunity to compare various elite series. Champ Car made its final appearance here in 2006 and Sébastien Bourdais took pole position with a time of 1:20.005. When F1 visited in the same summer, Fernando Alonso had pole with 1:14.942 (though went quicker in Q2). The 2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series race had Alex Tagliani on pole with a time of 1:40.865, in contrast to Sebastian Vettel’s 2012 F1 pole time of 1:13.784.

-Unlike the previous grand prix, held on the streets of Monaco, the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve does not confer any particular advantage on pole position. Since 2000, the race has only been won from pole on four occasions. It has also been won from second on the grid four times in this period.

-On his way to victory in 2011, Jenson Button occupied last place as late as lap 40. That notwithstanding, the race doesn’t particularly favour a charge through the field: it has never been won by anyone starting outside the top ten, and then only once from the fifth row, when Jacques Laffite won from tenth position for Ligier in 1981.

-Originally named the Île Notre-Dame Circuit, it was renamed in honour of Gilles Villeneuve after his death. In 1978 Villeneuve won the inaugural grand prix held on the island. Of the current F1 calender, the other circuit named in honour of a former driver is the Autódromo José Carlos Pace, home of the Brazilian Grand Prix. Like Villeneuve, Pace was a grand prix winner and local hero at the circuit now bearing his name.

-Villeneuve’s win was the first of his six grand prix victories. Four other drivers have taken their debut win at this circuit: Thierry Boutsen (1989), Jean Alesi (1995), Lewis Hamilton (2007) and Robert Kubica (2008).

'Wall of Champions' Victims

-Alexander Wurz, two-time winner of the Le Mans 24 Hours, in 1997
-Damon Hill, 1996 F1 World Champion, in 1999
-Michael Schumacher, 7 time F1 World Champion, in 1999
-Jacques Villeneuve, 1997 F1 World Champion, in 1997 and 1999
-Ricardo Zonta, 1998 FIA GT sports car Champion, in 1999
-Nico Rosberg, 2005 GP2 Champion
-Nick Heidfeld, 1999 International Formula 3000 Champion, in 2001
-Jenson Button, 2009 F1 World Champion, in 2005
-Juan Pablo Montoya, 1999 CART Champion, in 2006
-Vitantonio Liuzzi, 2004 International Formula 3000 Champion, in 2007
-Kamui Kobayashi, 2008-09 GP2 Asia Series Champion, in 2010
-Sebastian Vettel, 2010-12 F1 World Champion, in 2011
-Pastor Maldonado, 2010 GP2 Series Champion, in 2012

7PKpxfA.png

Drivers Championship Standings

dS5heCx.png

Constructors Championship Standings

VTNLqHe.png

Fantasy Championship Standings

1GW3Hor.png

So I watched the recording of qually from last night. Is it just me or have they changed all the familiar camera placements? Seemed to have a very strange angle of the turn 1-2 hairpin complex and a lot of cameras looking through the fence in the middle of the straights.

Shaneus

Top work, Leunam!

Oh man, I'm gonna have to stay away from this thread again... going out tonight (public holiday in Aus) and I'll be missing the race completely :(

Does BBC ever have full replays available on demand? Especially ones that can be accessed without spoilers?

Does BBC ever have full replays available on demand? Especially ones that can be accessed without spoilers?
They sure do. My suggestion would be to find the Qualifying on iPlayer and save the link. Then, when you want to watch the race, go to the link and the full 3 hour programme link should be at the bottom of the page.

If you try to find the race through the main BBC website, it'll be a spoiler minefield.

Shaneus

Actually, Crashean is brilliant - he transformed a 10-places penalty in a 3-places penalty.
I just realised... any chance they could start him from pit lane and give him a better race setup?

mqeWiAN.png

Ugh, why do I do this to myself? Again, hoping for Vettel DNF.

My prediction: I get less than 10 points this weekend. BUT... I might get way, way more.

Bahahaha
My plan is coming to fruition... mwahahaha

They sure do. My suggestion would be to find the Qualifying on iPlayer and save the link. Then, when you want to watch the race, go to the link and the full 3 hour programme link should be at the bottom of the page.

If you try to find the race through the main BBC website, it'll be a spoiler minefield.
Man, that is absolutely brilliant. Thank you! Now, any chance I could find that for the qualis? I'm guessing not, unless Usenet wants to come through for me.

Addnan

Top work, Leunam!

Oh man, I'm gonna have to stay away from this thread again... going out tonight (public holiday in Aus) and I'll be missing the race completely :(

They do, I can PM you a link directly to the page when it goes up if you like, assuming you have a way of accessing iplayer from where you are!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I just realised... any chance they could start him from pit lane and give him a better race setup?

Grosjean mentioned in an interview with French TV yesterday that if it was raining today he'd most likely start from the pit lane with a rain setup.

Shaneus

Good quali session. Felt real sorry for Di Resta, not for Button who very much deserved that sinking feeling he got when seeing those lights go red when crossing the line.

Incredible effort by Bottas... I'm not sure what their tyre usage is like but I hope he does well. The grin on his girlfriend's face was adorable as hell, too ahaha.

Surprised Jev out-qualified Ricciardo as well... be interesting to see how the race itself pans out.

And looooool Fucking Grosjean.

Thoroughly entertaining qualifying though! Glad I stayed away from the results.

anx10us

Banned

Just go via bbc.co.uk/iplayer there wont be any spoilers

Shaneus

They do, I can PM you a link directly to the page when it goes up if you like, assuming you have a way of accessing iplayer from where you are!
If you could, that would be SUPER appreciated. I have the iPlayer app (the legit one) but I tend to have better luck using the web-based one. Maybe by the time I get home and have a sleep, it'll be up on Usenet and I can just download the whole thing... it'll likely be Sky, though :/

So yeah, that would be awesome if you could!

Grosjean mentioned in an interview with French TV yesterday that if it was raining today he'd most likely start from the pit lane with a rain setup.
Interesting. Might shave a second or two here or there, which will be helpful because it just means he'll run into the back of someone sooner.

ramparter

Banned

My plan is coming to fruition... mwahahaha

I also never put Vettel on race result, hoping for a dnf. Yes, I want him to dnf every race. Then abandon f1 completely.

Mario007

I also never put Vettel on race result, hoping for a dnf. Yes, I want him to dnf every race. Then abandon f1 completely.
I think he just needs one championship which he won't win. He's becoming too cocky thanks to so many titles. I remember his second championship where he came in after just barely getting his first title and that was a joy to watch. So a knockdown now would be nice. Then again who is going to deliver it? I love Kimi but Lotus don't seem to have the speed to compete with Red Bull and the same goes for Ferrari with Alonso. Hamilton and Rosberg don't have the race pace either. The only thing that can bite him in the ass is if the RB became unreliable or if he had a string of mistakes in the next few races.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If Vettel survives first corner, this is his race to lose. Canada is not massive tyre eater, track temps will not be in 40s and they went really well on long runs in FPs.

ramparter

Banned
I think he just needs one championship which he won't win. He's becoming too cocky thanks to so many titles. I remember his second championship where he came in after just barely getting his first title and that was a joy to watch. So a knockdown now would be nice. Then again who is going to deliver it? I love Kimi but Lotus don't seem to have the speed to compete with Red Bull and the same goes for Ferrari with Alonso. Hamilton and Rosberg don't have the race pace either. The only thing that can bite him in the ass is if the RB became unreliable or if he had a string of mistakes in the next few races.

In all honesty, you are absolutely right. Vettel isn't the problem. He is a really good driver in a really good team (up until now) so it's only expected he wins easily. I wish he had better competition. As you said, none of Lotus, Ferrari or Mercedes have convinced me yet that they can stop him. I don't care who will be really in the end, I just really, really hope I don't get to see Vettel getting this WDC too.

Shaneus

In all honesty, you are absolutely right. Vettel isn't the problem. He is a really good driver in a really good team (up until now) so it's only expected he wins easily. I wish he had better competition. As you said, none of Lotus, Ferrari or Mercedes have convinced me yet that they can stop him. I don't care who will be really in the end, I just really, really hope I don't get to see Vettel getting this WDC too.
Do you think the RBR will become progressively more dominant over the next few months? I'm hoping that they stall development in order to work on their 2014 car, and before everyone else does.

Honestly, I don't see a Merc winning the WDC other than Vettel. It'll either be a Lotus or a Ferrari.

For me it's more likely to be Alonso than anyone (other than Vettel). Their car is arguably the fastest in the race, they just need to get it switched on for qualifying.

Sloane

Banned
Don't think anyone can stop Vettel this year either. Mercs are at least another year away from being real competitors (and who knows how things will go in 2014), Lotus isn't good enough and probably doesn't have enough money anyway over the course of the season, and McLaren, well, fuck them.

Only one who can come even close to Vettel is Alonso but he seems to have issues in quali this season -- and RBR will probably only get better from here.

Don't think anyone can stop Vettel this year either. Mercs are at least another year away from being real competitors (and who knows how things will go in 2014), Lotus isn't good enough and probably doesn't have enough money anyway over the course of the season, and McLaren, well, fuck them.

Only one who can come even close to Vettel is Alonso but he seems to have issues in quali this season -- and RBR will probably only get better from here.

Alonso is the strongest this year and he has the strongest car. Quali pace is overrated

If he didn't make a mistake by breaking his front wing in China(?) and if he didn't have the DRS problem in Bahrain he would've been leading the championship based on his pace and not others' misfortune

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Alonso is the strongest this year and he has the strongest car. Quali pace is overrated

Poor quali pace means worse starting position in the traffic and more chances for ruffling with somebody at the start. And being stuck behind somebody for 10 laps is not going bring you victory, when your competition will drive into sunset.. Ferrari knows that and because of this they are trying to up the quali form.

Poor quali pace means worse starting position in the traffic and more chances for ruffling with somebody at the start. And being stuck behind somebody for 10 laps is not going bring you victory, when your competition will drive into sunset.. Ferrari knows that and because of this they are trying to up the quali form.

When did this happen?

Vettel won only the two races where Alonso or Ferrari fucked up. In all the other races was Alonso ahead of Vettel - except Monaco (special case).
The Ferrari can compensate the bad perfomance on saturday with the fact that they can handle the tires way better than Red Bull or Mercedes.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Red Bull ramping up the pressure on the FIA to punish Mercedes hard this morning.
Says they will spend massively if Mercedes get off, abandoning plans for cost cutting.

Kind of a 2 faced thing to say seeing as they were the ones to pull out of the spending cap rules nearly 2 years ago.

Dead Man

Red Bull ramping up the pressure on the FIA to punish Mercedes hard this morning.
Says they will spend massively if Mercedes get off, abandoning plans for cost cutting.

Kind of a 2 faced thing to say seeing as they were the ones to pull out of the spending cap rules nearly 2 years ago.

Sounds like a fucking tantrum at the moment.

Speaking in general, not based on this season.

The difference is just that we have this gap this year only because the cars handle the tires in different ways.

Monaco and Malaysia were the only races where the winner started from the pole position.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Meanwhile that other Ferrari driver slams medical service in Monaco, compared to Montreal

Felipe Massa has called for improvements to be made to the medical infrastructure at the Monaco Grand Prix following his two accidents there last month

"It's a problem we have in Monaco, a problem we need to improve and I've already spoken to the doctors.

"In Monaco, everything that happened was not good - the time I waited for the ambulance and, in the first crash, I had to walk 200 metres [to go] over the fence.

Maybe he will test some other medical centres and launch a petition for top tier medical service on tracks

Better hope they don't end up relying on any favourable decisions in the near future over the legality of their cars, because I can see this approach backfiring on them somewhat.

Addnan

Looks pretty sunny in Montreal right now and current forecast for race is sunny.

Vettel to try to overlap Grosjean, gets taken out.

Mastah

The package envisages the end of the Young Drivers test session, a reduction in straight line aerodynamic test days from eight to two, while promotional days are also cut to two.

In their place, the F1 teams will remain for a two day test with one car at four European Grands Prix. Barcelona and Silverstone will be two of the venues.
Eight of the 11 teams voted for the new measures which meant that it had the majority required to pass.

Particularly keen on the move are the less well funded teams as it allows them to run drivers who bring budget. Typically an F1 team can charge around €300,000 for a test like this.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/...sessions-return-in-expanded-2014-f1-calendar/

Finally they made wise decision. It's great news for teams, tyre supplier and especially young and very promising drivers, like Magnussen, da Costa or Frijns. No more testing in some exotic venues, young hot shots will be tested after race weekends and that will allow perfect comparison with actual race drivers. At least I hope so, would be sad to see majority of tests performed by race drivers :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
4 in season test sessions to return in 2014.
Going to be a packed calendar with 20 races as well too.

I think that these tests will simply be before of after the race weekend. Teams will stay on track for 2-3 additional days. As for 2014, I found this quite good solution, with new engines and stuff.

EDIT: Beaten like stray dog

The big bonus of the proposed calendar is that the off-season is going to be incredibly short this year. Fun times.

I'd like to know which three teams opposed the proposed testing changes though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So excited! This is the first race I've been able to watch live this season. Somehow managed to not get scheduled to work today so I'm taking advantage of it. I watched qualifying this morning too. So happy to see Bottas do so well. Also great to see both Torro Rossos in the top 10. Should be a great race! I'd really like to see Massa and DiResta do well today after their bad luck.

Top Bottom