• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant1532

Banned
MrNibbles said:
Mega Man does not missle shoot.
Mega Man does not screw attack.
Mega Man does not morph ball.
Mega Man does not bomb drop. (Blue Bomber lol amirite)
Mega Man does not grapple beam.

(Powers don't count. If they did, Mega Man could just as easily be a clone for Ryu.)

Mega Man ain't no Samus clone!!!!!!!!!
Fixed, don't know why you said he doesn't belong, because he does. And seriously Iwould love to see the reasoning why he doesn't fit iinto Smash. (as a side note, I am making the official 20th anniversary thread for Megaman but won't be done till later(maybe at the end of the week?)

MrNibbles said:
Mega Man does not missle shoot.
Mega Man does not screw attack.
Mega Man does not morph ball.
Mega Man does not bomb drop. (Blue Bomber lol amirite)
Mega Man does not grapple beam.

(Powers don't count. If they did, Mega Man could just as easily be a clone for Ryu.)

Mega Man does not belong!!!!!!!!!

actually, they could use Megaman as a clone of Samus (not that I would want it)

Missle > cutman's blades
bomb > Soccer ball (dropped and it sticks around and can be kicked, MvC style)
Screw attack > leaf shield
Grapple beam > chain rod (granted Zero used this, whatever)

actually typed out that seems really stupid, Megaman could only really take the charge shot from Samus.

ant1532

Banned
Linkzg said:
actually, they could use Megaman as a clone of Samus (not that I would want it)

Missle > cutman's blades
bomb > Soccer ball (dropped and it sticks around and can be kicked, MvC style)
Screw attack > leaf shield
Grapple beam > chain rod (granted Zero used this, whatever)

actually typed out that seems really stupid, Megaman could only really take the charge shot from Samus.
Using that reasoning you could almost make any character with the least bit of similarity a clone of anyone. Like Marth and Link.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think Mega Man as a Kirby clone would be pretty funny.

if megaman is in the game, id imagine when Kirby cloned him, he would look like the powered up megaman.

4kks0a0.jpg

ant1532

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I think Mega Man as a Kirby clone would be pretty funny.
Floaty MegaMan? lol.

But anyways, I was thinking if Megaman has a weapon copy like Kirby but it is time or amount limited I wonder what would happen if he copies Kirby? Megaman just opens his mouth up real big lol.

Jiggy

Xavien said:
Problem is, Ridley is massive compared to any of the other characters.
Everything's evened out in SSB anyway; Pikachu/Jigglypuff being just half the size of Mario, for example. (And yet for some reason all the Pokemon that come out of Poke Balls are scaled basically to what they're supposed to be.)

That said, I don't see it happening. I'm too cynical to think that--if there were any other Metroid characters added, I'd fully expect something lame like Dark Samus.

ant1532 said:
Floaty MegaMan? lol.

But anyways, I was thinking if Megaman has a weapon copy like Kirby but it is time or amount limited I wonder what would happen if he copies Kirby? Megaman just opens his mouth up real big lol.

thats actually a good idea, having megaman weapon copy like Kirby for a set amount of shots.

The fundamental problem with Mega Man having weapon copy is that while Kirby gets copies from swallowing things, Mega Man gets them from killing them.

Sure, Kirby normally kills stuff in the process, but it's easy enough for smash bros to have him just poop them out after he gets the power. What's Mega Man to do? He just shoots and kills.

Mega Man should just come with a set of "all star" powers from the games. So basically, all the powers should be from Mega Man 2. Plus, Rush should be his triple-jump UP+B move.

Christopher said:
Besides MetaKnight what about the Penguin Kirby is always fighting, isn't he essentially Kirby's "Bowser" more so than MetaKnight?
Kinda. He's more like Kirby's rival than his arch-nemesis. And Dedede has been a good guy before, Metaknight's just sort of a dick.

SAT-ized!

Kirby:Metaknight::

A) Mario:Bowser
B) Link:Ganon
C) Captain Falcon:Samurai Goroh
D) Captain Falcon:Blood Falcon

The answer is
C

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eteric Rice said:
What happens if Kirby absorbs MetaKnight? o_O
Traditionally, Kirby always fought Meta Knight with a sword but the sword's headgear is a green nightcap, which is probably too similar to Link's.

Maybe he'll get Meta Knight's mantle.

Zeed

Banned
Halycon said:
Traditionally, Kirby always fought Meta Knight with a sword but the sword's headgear is a green nightcap, which is probably too similar to Link's.

Maybe he'll get Meta Knight's mantle.
Or maybe just his mask.

ant1532

Banned
Shinobix said:
This thread will be a good laugh when the game is finally released. All the crazy assumptions and made-up moves ditched away.
:lol With this daily updating we are going to be proven wrong all the time once they start to put some new shit out.

Regarding the Sheik gender argument-- There really isn't a "true" correct answer. The way I see it, there are a few possibilities:

1) Sheik is just Zelda in costume: The features of Sheik that we CAN see-- hair, eyes, nose, skin color, musculature-- do not match up with Zelda. To me, this seems to indicate that there is more at work than a simple costume. This is a possibility, however.

2) Sheik is a magical illusion: Is Zelda capable of magic? If she is, she might be casting some sort of illusion spell to change her appearance.

3) If Zelda is capable of magic, perhaps she ACTUALLY transforms into a man. Yes, penis and all: This is the most controversial of the options. :lol You can yammer about why you don't think this could be true, but in a world of magic, I don't see why it's not at least a possibility. From what I've heard (and don't quote me on this, I might be misinformed), the OoT manga that was released around the time of the game said that Zelda did ndeed transform herself into a man to disguise herself. Weird, I know. :lol

Bottom line? OoT, the game-- the ONLY source that really matters-- never says which of these is true. Therefore we can only speculate as to what the original character designer intended. Arguing about it is kind of pointless, I'm not sure there IS a real answer.

NeonZ

The fundamental problem with Mega Man having weapon copy is that while Kirby gets copies from swallowing things, Mega Man gets them from killing them.

Sure, Kirby normally kills stuff in the process, but it's easy enough for smash bros to have him just poop them out after he gets the power. What's Mega Man to do? He just shoots and kills.

Mega Man should just come with a set of "all star" powers from the games. So basically, all the powers should be from Mega Man 2. Plus, Rush should be his triple-jump UP+B move.

"All star" set = failure. They've already pulled that in Marvel VS Capcom, and I hope they won't do it here if they decide to include him. Besides, Kirby always kills stuff in the process in his own games- he kills normal enemies by eating them and has to first knock out the sub-bosses before eating them, but that isn't necessary in Smash.

There are several alternatives to keep Megaman's gimmick around:

1-Simply keep the system of getting the power of whoever he kills. It's not like people only have 1 life in Smash... People die, leave shinning orb behind, Megaman gets it and gets a new weapon.

2-When people are hit by his charged beam or charged smash attack, a glowing orb falls from them and Megaman has to get it to steal their power.

3-They could also just pull the same stunt that the American cartoon did- include a close range grab-like B move, he copies the power if he grabs the other person successfully.

DarkKyo

WastingPenguins said:
Regarding the Sheik gender argument-- There really isn't a "true" correct answer. The way I see it, there are a few possibilities:

1) Sheik is just Zelda in costume: The features of Sheik that we CAN see-- hair, eyes, nose, skin color, musculature-- do not match up with Zelda. To me, this seems to indicate that there is more at work than a simple costume. This is a possibility, however.

2) Sheik is a magical illusion: Is Zelda capable of magic? If she is, she might be casting some sort of illusion spell to change her appearance.

3) If Zelda is capable of magic, perhaps she ACTUALLY transforms into a man. Yes, penis and all: This is the most controversial of the options. :lol You can yammer about why you don't think this could be true, but in a world of magic, I don't see why it's not at least a possibility. From what I've heard (and don't quote me on this, I might be misinformed), the OoT manga that was released around the time of the game said that Zelda did ndeed transform herself into a man to disguise herself. Weird, I know. :lol

Bottom line? OoT, the game-- the ONLY source that really matters-- never says which of these is true. Therefore we can only speculate as to what the original character designer intended. Arguing about it is kind of pointless, I'm not sure there IS a real answer.

It never really goes into it, except isn't the down+b move in Melee actually called "transform?"

Dechaios said:
It never really goes into it, except isn't the down+b move in Melee actually called "transform?"

Even if it were, there's no telling if that means "transform into a man" or simply "transform into a different-looking woman".

For the record, the English Melee trophy description goes as follows:

"This is Zelda's alter ego. Using a variation of
the name of the ancient Sheikah tribe, she
appears before Link and teaches him melodies
instrumental to his success. It's believed
that she's not just a quick-change artist, but
rather that she is able to instantaneously
alter her clothing and her eye and skin color by
using her magical skills."

My personal opinion of this? I wouldn't put too much stock into it. The people writing trophy descriptions for Smash had nothing to do with creating the character. It DOES seem that the Smash localization team decided that Sheik is a female with a magical disguise, but like I said-- the only sources that would matter (to me, at least) are OoT and the character designer, neither of which, to my knowledge, have specified. If you take Smash trophy descriptions as the Nintendo gospel, that's fine too, I wouldn't argue.

Some other weird things to think about, in any case: even if Zelda transforms herself into a man (with a penis!), wouldn't you call her a "she" anyway? If my high school science teacher developed a high-tech body-swapping machine and through a wacky set of circumstances I would up changing bodies with a chick, I'd still think of myself as a "he"... cause wouldn't I still be a man deep down, woman's body or not? :lol

RagnarokX

NeonZ said:
"All star" set = failure. They've already pulled that in Marvel VS Capcom, and I hope they won't do it here if they decide to include him. Besides, Kirby always kills stuff in the process in his own games- he kills normal enemies by eating them and has to first knock out the sub-bosses before eating them, but that isn't necessary in Smash.

There are several alternatives to keep Megaman's gimmick around:

1-Simply keep the system of getting the power of whoever he kills. It's not like people only have 1 life in Smash... People die, leave shinning orb behind, Megaman gets it and gets a new weapon.

2-When people are hit by his charged beam or charged smash attack, a glowing orb falls from them and Megaman has to get it to steal their power.

3-They could also just pull the same stunt that the American cartoon did- include a close range grab-like B move, he copies the power if he grabs the other person successfully.

Yeah, like if he grapples someone he can steal their power or something. I think it would be neat if instead copying an exact power from the foe, he steals a classic move from the mega man games. Like, if he copied Link, he'd get Quick Boomerang from MM2. Then it would all be a question of who can he copy Metal Blade from :D

they could just use one weapon from each megaman game, for example:

megaman's up+B = TORNADO HOLD

Holy Order Sol said:
Doesn't Ruto refer to Sheik as a man when you meet her in the Water Temple ?
the disguise worked

fernoca

-Sheik is an illusion.
-Zelda does have "magic powers".
-Sheik has a male voice.
-In Ocarina, when Sheik reveals "his" identity in the Temple of Time, "he" conjures some magic, strikes some pose..and turns into Zelda.

Holy Order Sol said:
Doesn't Ruto refer to Sheik as a man when you meet her in the Water Temple ?

Does she? In any case, this doesn't prove anything-- it just shows that Ruto thought that Sheik was a dude... not that Sheik was actually a dude.

There is just no proving it either way.

DarkKyo

WastingPenguins said:
Does she? In any case, this doesn't prove anything-- it just shows that Ruto thought that Sheik was a dude... not that Sheik was actually a dude.

There is just no proving it either way.

Alright alright, I understand that... But the point of this argument is-- is that it's not completely ridiculous if someone were to refer to Sheik's character as a guy, even if they knew that under the guise, a girl lurked.... Amirite?!

justchris

WastingPenguins said:

You're wrong though. First off, yes, Zelda is capable of magic. She's one of the 7 sages, and uses magic in SSBM anyway, Din's Fire, Naryu's Love and so forth are her attacks.

However, the fact that Sheik and Zelda 'appear' to look different can be completely dismissed by costuming, and requires no magic at all. I'm guessing you've never done any serious theatre acting, but for a character who is completely covered head to toe in tight fitting clothing there are numberous ways to alter her perceived height, musculature, breast size, hair & eye color, she doesn't even need magic.

fernoca

Add to hat I posted.. that Sheik has a more tanned skin and more muscular tone than Zelda.
Heck even more butt and more package...hehehehe.

justchris said:
You're wrong though. First off, yes, Zelda is capable of magic. She's one of the 7 sages, and uses magic in SSBM anyway, Din's Fire, Naryu's Love and so forth are her attacks.

However, the fact that Sheik and Zelda 'appear' to look different can be completely dismissed by costuming, and requires no magic at all. I'm guessing you've never done any serious theatre acting, but for a character who is completely covered head to toe in tight fitting clothing there are numberous ways to alter her perceived height, musculature, breast size, hair & eye color, she doesn't even need magic.

I said "could be costume, could be something else, no way to know"... how am I wrong? :lol

justchris

WastingPenguins said:
I said "could be costume, could be something else, no way to know"... how am I wrong? :lol

You also said:

WastingPenguins said:
The features of Sheik that we CAN see-- hair, eyes, nose, skin color, musculature-- do not match up with Zelda. To me, this seems to indicate that there is more at work than a simple costume.

All I was saying is that those features don't really indicate there is more at work than a costume. Although, admittedly, it wouldn't be a 'simple' costume, but it could be done with mundane, non-magical, materials. Even at the presumed Hylian tech level.

justchris said:
You also said:

All I was saying is that those features don't really indicate there is more at work than a costume. Although, admittedly, it wouldn't be a 'simple' costume, but it could be done with mundane, non-magical, materials. Even at the presumed Hylian tech level.

Fair enough, I guess I assume it has to be more than a simple costume and makeup is because she does it instantly. POOF I'm Sheik. Though I guess she could just be using magic to put on a costume real quick. :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only Japan Time can save us now.

Please drop the bomb.

Miguga64

Maybe tomorrow is time to put another song!!?!? Please yes! I hope they put some Zelda Stage Theme, or something like that... Or MGS Stage Theme please.

Do you really think Zelda have that body!! Whoa! Imagine that... She could hit Link! to many muscles... like Madonna, LOL :lol

ant1532

Banned
Hopefully Sakurai takes advantage of this Retail Conference and updates a lil more than usual. Although he probably won't since it is a Retail Conference.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Some folks appear to really be desiring sex-changing video game characters, ignoring all sorts of much more plausible explanations for their fetish-like dream of Zelda without both chromosomes.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Taking a wild guess, and this has most likely already been assumed somewhere in this thread, but if there are going to be any new characters to show off it will be done each Friday update.

I'm guessing today might show off Fox since last Wed they did the Mario & Link double.

DavidDayton said:
Some folks appear to really be desiring sex-changing video game characters, ignoring all sorts of much more plausible explanations for their fetish-like dream of Zelda without both chromosomes.

Why not? Nintendo already did it once with Birdo. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom