• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

did we ever do a best of first half of 2013 thing? Lol I guess it wouldn't matter much for me, I've apparently only seen 15 2013 releases (16 if you include a Louis CK special, which I don't). But I'd be curious to see what other people list just so I know for sure what I'm missing. at the moment, my ranking'd be something like
1) Before Midnight
2) Fast & Furious 6
3) Sightseers
pi) the "Safe Haven" segment of V/H/S/2
4) Side Effects (just watched tonight)
5) Spring Breakers
6) A Band Called Death
7) Frances Ha
8) Mud
9) Much Ado About Nothing
10) To The Wonder

stuff I'm planning to see asap would be Upstream Color (tomorrow probably), Simon Killer, Stories We Tell, Post Tenebras Lux, Something In The Air, Stoker, Like Someone In Love, Leviathan.

luso

Kick-ass (2010) - Disappointing, given the some good words I read about it, the ultra violence is banal, almost boring and I didn't care what could happen with characters. 2.5/5

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - It's not a masterpiece but gives you the creep feeling of what is to be lost and vulnerable in a unfamiliar landscape - with some nasty serial killers. The girl screaming is still too much, helps to unsettle us, I had to lower sound volume or neighbours could have called the police. Surely the 70's fashion is bare skin friendly. Still a landmark of the genre, not exactly enjoyable but more unsettling than some other modern flicks. 3.5/5

Is the sequel worth to watch?
I will see it nevertheless

Clueless (1995) - It is really am enjoyable 90's flick, even if Alicia character is a kind of spoiled brat she's still very likeable, and cute/hot. It's still a kind of landmark for the 90's teen scene and it's pace is great, never boring or clichéd. 4/5

Haven't seen many movies, so is hard to answer to some of these:

1. Favorite Movie? Probably all Kubrick ones. Also Blade Runner.
2. Top Three Actors? I really don't have a top 3, maybe De Niro, DLLewis, Kitano
3. How horrible is Avengers? Enough enjoyable at first watch, probably boring in further rewatches.
4. How many films do you watch a year? 2-3 a week, so maybe 80-100 top.
5. Favorite Genre? Thriller, Sci-fi. Guilty pleasure, teen flicks and slashers.
6. What is your favorite performance in film? I don't remember/ cannot name a specific one
7. Who is your favorite director? Hard to pick one. Kubrick, Scorsese, there are others

-Stranger-

Eyes Wide Shut

I really liked it, the dreamlike atmosphere was nice.
Good performances all round, Kubrick was an excellent director.

4/5

Divius

I love the smell of a new thread in the morning.

Hummingbird AKA Redemption - I was expecting a brainless yet fun Statham-vehicle, but this movie tried to be more (and fails) *½
Olympus Has Fallen - Someone delete all copies of Die Hard 5 and paste Bruce Willis' face on Butler's **½
Ichimei AKA Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai - The original is one of my all time favorite movies and I was hesitant to see how this would compare. It was alright I guess. **½
Robin Hood: Men in Tights - Most of the jokes and silliness were wasted on me, and with that gone there isn't much left to appreciate**

How about Fassbinder for the july filmclub? Would that be any good? I'm not familiar with his work.

did we ever do a best of first half of 2013 thing? Lol I guess it wouldn't matter much for me, I've apparently only seen 15 2013 releases (16 if you include a Louis CK special, which I don't). But I'd be curious to see what other people list just so I know for sure what I'm missing. at the moment, my ranking'd be something like
1) Before Midnight
2) Fast & Furious 6
3) Sightseers
pi) the "Safe Haven" segment of V/H/S/2
4) Side Effects (just watched tonight)
5) Spring Breakers
6) A Band Called Death
7) Frances Ha
8) Mud
9) Much Ado About Nothing
10) To The Wonder

stuff I'm planning to see asap would be Upstream Color (tomorrow probably), Simon Killer, Stories We Tell, Post Tenebras Lux, Something In The Air, Stoker, Like Someone In Love, Leviathan.
1) Simon Killer
2) Only God Forgives
3) Mud
4) The Place Beyond the Pines
5) This Is The End
6) Upstream Color
7) Spring Breakers
8) Fast and Furious 6

Going to see Before Midnight in a few hours. Still need to see A Hijacking, Something In The Air, Our Children. Can't wait for The Congress, A Field in England (Ben Wheatley's next film since Sightseers which is getting simultaneous blu ray/cinema release), The World's End, Pacific Rim, Elysium, Riddick, and Nymphomaniac.

I would count Sightseers as 2012 but that's because I'm in the UK. Nice to see it's available in other places, great dark comedy.

obin_gam

ZLNCnGI.png

In which we follow a man around in a limosine, dressing up as different persons and doing stuff as them.

A film that could only be done by french. Purely genius, even if it drags a bit towards the end.

Watch it.

:'( :( :/ :| :) :D

madkiller

1) Simon Killer
2) Only God Forgives
3) Mud
5) This Is The End
6) Upstream Color
7) Spring Breakers
8) Fast and Furious 6

What's the deal with Simon Killer, it seems everyone is raving about it. Also nice to see OGF and Mud in there.

Going to see Before Midnight in a few hours. Still need to see A Hijacking, Something In The Air, Our Children. Can't wait for The Congress, A Field in England (Ben Wheatley's next film since Sightseers which is getting simultaneous blu ray/cinema release), The World's End, Pacific Rim, Elysium, Riddick, and Nymphomaniac.

Trailer is giving me Valhalla Rising vibes which is a good thing. Haven't checked out Sighseers yet but I really enjoyed Kill List.

1990: The Bronx Warriors is certainly a movie, if nothing else. I tremble at the thought of Bronx Warriors II and all of the exciting possibilities.

Dude is definitely way far up his own ass and I only had to watch his work to come to that conclusion. Never seen nor read an interview and I'm not sure I'd want to.

This has /literally/ never stopped anyone before. Why remake that Swedish movie that came out two years ago? Fuck if I know.

I highly doubt anyone will agree with me but YOLO

1. Rebelle (War Witch)
2. Man of Steel
3. Like Someone in Love
4. John Dies at the End
5. Furious 6
6. Stoker
7. Pain & Gain
8. Benedict Cumberbatch Presents: Star Trek
9. From Up On Poppy Hill (technically I saw this last year, but whatevs. It's nice.)
10. ???

Also saw: Iron Man 3, Place Beyond the Pines, Upstream Colour.

Y'all should at least watch Tenderness of the Wolves. Edit: He ghost directed it. Probably.

Rebelle/War Witch sounds interesting, will have to search that out.

John Dies at the End was 2012. Kind of a disappointment for me, the acting from the main dude was puzzling and only Clancy Brown was worth watching. Not weird enough, on paper it sounds way better. Effects looked ghastly even for a low-budget flick.

Completely forgot about Stoker, I guess it wasn't as memorable a film as its visuals were :p Still getting the blu ray.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
How about Fassbinder for the july filmclub? Would that be any good? I'm not familiar with his work.
I have a few films of his on hand that I still need to check out. But Ali Fear Eats the Soul (which I've already seen) would be a good one to start with.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
In the past week, I've watched:
Burn After Reading
Strangers On A Train
Children Of Men
and The Usual Suspects

All for the first time, and I have to say they were all great.

RustyO

Recently watched:

- The Night of the Sunflowers (aka La noche de los girasoles

Quite liked this one, an interesting Spanish thriller told from multiple points of view; that questions peoples motives and reactions, and how one incident can affect many in many different ways.

Only complaint would be that it felt a wee bit too long, maybe overstaing it's welcome a tad.

- Hardcore

Didn't really grab me... well; the first half (half hour?) I found good, and then it kind of went downhill from there for me. I tihnk I didn't gel with the fantasy/realism and time shifting mechanics too well. I liked the initial gritty realism, and then...

swoon

Haven't seen any Vigo yet. His films are on Hulu, so I need to recheck my priorities.

You're talking about when Antoine's running away from the game to the beach? That's one of my favorite parts of the movie if so.

At the end, though, I would have preferred a single long take, not an artificial freeze-frame that just looks off.

talking about this quote.

hal9001

Banned
Fantastic Mr Fox - Wes Anderson somehow manages to direct this with all his typical trademarks and quirks which is amazing considering it was all animated. It had a fantastic script with witty one liners and charm and comes close to being one of the best animated film of all time.

World War Z - Actually was planning to boycott this (because of the shameful disrespect to the original book) but was dragged to seeing it. Now I don't know if it was because I had low expectations or because I am currently loving playing the The Last of us , but I really enjoyed the film. It wasn't a complete shamble of mess and had some good moments and impressive cinematography. I enjoyed the first 2/3 but completely hated the last 1/3 as it was a bit boring and a a huge tonal shift from the rest of the film in the location travelling aspect. This section of the film is also the part that was reshot with lindelof in charge of the rewrite. Apparently the original ending involved the battle in Russia.

Why did you think it was pretentious? As Malicky as UC is, I actually enjoyed it more than any of Malick's films, and I do enjoy his work.

Wow what a weird remark. Malick knows where to point his camera and how to use light in his pictures. His stories also make sense. Carruth's movies feel like unfinished student films in comparison.

Lots of movie being listed here as "best of 2013" are actually 2012 movies according to IMDb... so I'll just list the ones I think are recent enough to include, making it a top-5:

1. The Place Beyond the Pines
2. Jagten
3. To the Wonder
4. Stoker
5. Promised Land

As a proposed filmclub director, I nominate Arturo Ripstein ... I have only seen one movie of his a long time ago, El evangelio de las Maravillas, a somewhat hermetic movie with rich visuals, clearly influenced by Buñuel and Jodorowsky.

pbstmrj.jpg

Suggested viewing (aka stuff I want to see):

Deep Crimson (1996)

The film won eight Ariel Awards, including Best Actor and Best Actress and was nominated for the Golden Ariel. In addition, it was awarded Honorable Mention in the Latin American Cinema category at Sundance and won three Golden Osellas at the Venice Film Festival. It was Mexico's official submission for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, but it failed to earn a nomination.

El evangelio de las maravillas (1998)

It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival.

No One Writes to the Colonel (1999)

It is based on the eponymous novella by Colombian author and Nobel Prize winner Gabriel García Márquez. The film was Mexico's official Best Foreign Language Film submission at the 72nd Academy Awards, but did not manage to receive a nomination. It was also entered into the 1999 Cannes Film Festival.

Such is life (2000)

An updated version of the play Medea, it was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2000 Cannes Film Festival.

hal9001

Banned
TOP 5 FILMS OF 2013 (SO FAR)

1) Only God Forgives

2) To the Wonder

3) Before Midnight

4) Cloud Atlas

5) The Great Gatsby

1. Favorite Movie? 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Top Three Actors? Don't know if I can narrow them down to 3, but I'd say: Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino and DiCaprio ?
3. How horrible is Avengers? Overrated as fuck..but it's a good pop corn movie.
4. How many films do you watch a year? Can't really tell, I'm not systematic when it comes to watching movies. sometimes I may watch 6 movies a week, others I may watch 5-6 a month.
5. Favorite Genre? Thriller, Noir.
6. What is your favorite performance in film? Can't say really.
7. Who is your favorite director? Stanley Kubrick (living? i'd say Tarantino, Nolan & Scorsesie).

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
TOP FILMS OF 2013:

2-way tie between TO THE WONDER and OBLIVION.

(I've seen 2 movies from this year, gave them both 7s)

Best movies of 2013 so far (that have actually been theatrically released in the US):

10. Sightseers
9. Room 237
8. Something in the Air
7. Leviathan
6. The Bling Ring
5. The Place Beyond The Pines
4. Upstream Color
3. To The Wonder
2. Simon Killer
1. Before Midnight

MadmanUK

I've got a very rare case of being child-less this weekend, what's the best thing on at the cinema to take the missus to?

big ander

I'd be up for this, haven't seen any Fassbinder. On the availability note: doesn't look like any are on netflix instant or amazon vod, but tons are on hulu plus.
1) Simon Killer
2) Only God Forgives
3) Mud
5) This Is The End
6) Upstream Color
7) Spring Breakers
8) Fast and Furious 6

I would count Sightseers as 2012 but that's because I'm in the UK. Nice to see it's available in other places, great dark comedy.
Also looking forward to A Field In England in the second half of the year, along with: 12 Years a Slave, Museum Hours, Fruitvale Station, Pacific Rim, You're Next, Short Term 12, The Conjuring, The Spectacular Now, The Way Way Back, The Act of Killing, Only God Forgives, Cheap Thrills, Passion, Drinking Buddies, 100 Bloody Acres, White Reindeer, Computer Chess.
(I'll probably see less than half of these)

Yeah I technically could have seen Sightseers in 2012 I guess, while out of the country. But home is where the movie list is.
I highly doubt anyone will agree with me but YOLO

1. Rebelle (War Witch)
Ah yeah definitely need to see this too.
Lots of movie being listed here as "best of 2013" are actually 2012 movies according to IMDb... so I'll just list the ones I think are recent enough to include, making it a top-5:
Well everyone has a different system, I don't think many go by the main imdb year because it can be way off. Recent case: You're Next says 2011 on imdb. It was shown at TIFF in 2011 and shelved until the second half of this year.
The most common system I think: theatrical release in your home country. So while something like Sightseers would definitely be a 2012 film for most, it wasn't technically out here in the US until this May

As a proposed filmclub director, I nominate Arturo Ripstein ... I have only seen one movie of his a long time ago, El evangelio de las Maravillas, a somewhat hermetic movie with rich visuals, clearly influenced by Buñuel and Jodorowsky.
Another that sounds cool, though he doesn't seem to be all that available once again. Not on hulu plus, netflix instant, amazon vod. I'd be cool getting just discs personally.
I've got a very rare case of being child-less this weekend, what's the best thing on at the cinema to take the missus to?
Before Midnight if you're not worried it'll make you question your marriage, Furious 6 if you haven't yet and would rather see people jumping off cars like superheros in jesus pieces, Much Ado About Nothing if you'd rather land somewhere in between introspective and eye-candy

Before Midnight

"To passing through."

True love, gender politics, the validity of long-lasting relationships, transience of life, are all talked about while still having some very memorably hilarious one liners
"the only upside of being over 35 is you don't get raped as much"
. Much more characters are at work here, and all the better to give some pacing breaks between our main couple's philosophising. It goes in surprising directions rather than feeling like "When Jesse Met Celine...10 years later", and I found myself quite tearful just before the very last 5 minutes.

It's interesting how you can have a romantic movie that's loved by many even if it has an arthouse framework where there's barely a plot, is mostly just constant dialogue, and is composed of this many long shots. But because of the constant dialogue, I'm just always engaged despite the fact these two have been talking for more than five minutes at a time about mostly "bullshit". It's not as obviously self-indulgent where the director is trying to actively impress you. These movies can easily be ridiculed for being about rich white people talking about bullshit if you didn't care about the characters.

My sister pointed out a great parallel between
Jesse hallucinating about his grandma with the water hose in the first film and the old lady in this movie doing the same with her loved one
. There's another parallel where she's talking metaphorically about the last two movies, and then Jesse starts talking about this third movie at the very end with the last line by Celine making it more of a bittersweet ending than a truly depressing one. It's that kind of a-ha moment where I realized how clever the movie's title was.

I hate to be a Jesse but I got to compare and revise my best of 2013:

1. Simon Killer / Before Midnight

Both movies appeal to very different parts of my psyche. I can see Before Midnight being very relevant for me in the near future. It'll stick with me just like the previous movies did. Simon Killer has a unique angle (at least to me) with it being a "coming-of-age of a sociopath" (the actors' own words) where you are mostly in his head because of the camerawork. He's clumsy, insecure, awkward, and relatable rather than a romanticised creative type of sociopath found in many movies and that is far more disturbing than any horror movie I've seen.

So, when it comes to deciding on a director for this month--does someone want to put up a poll somewhere? Whoever ends up doing it, make note of where the films are available so that voters can choose based on availability as well.

So far, the suggestions have been

Kiyoshi Kurosawa
Enzo G. Castellari
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Arturo Ripstein

suEcide

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - It's not a masterpiece but gives you the creep feeling of what is to be lost and vulnerable in a unfamiliar landscape - with some nasty serial killers. The girl screaming is still too much, helps to unsettle us, I had to lower sound volume or neighbours could have called the police. Surely the 70's fashion is bare skin friendly. Still a landmark of the genre, not exactly enjoyable but more unsettling than some other modern flicks. 3.5/5

Is the sequel worth to watch?
I will see it nevertheless

I love the sequel, but don't expect it to be anything like the original. It's quite the opposite tonally. Which was completely intentional. View it as a comedy with some good scares and you should have fun with it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

What's wrong with it? I think it does a great job of conveying that it's a romantic comedy, just look at that sly look Kurylenko's giving. This would a be great impulse buy item at the Walmart checkout. Just me, this movie, and a family size frozen lasagna: the perfect night in.

Clerks & Clerks II - Really enjoyed both of these. Not sure which I prefer, the sequel is much funnier but it also has that godawful dancing scene.

The 400 Blows is a small movie dealing with big themes, and it doesn't get to explore all of them to my satisfaction. Yet, aside from odd pacing and a passive approach to chronicling its characters, the film makes the most of its production team's abilities. The cinematography roams like a ghost through factories and woodlands, often slick and always moderate. Constantin's soundtrack is a bit plain, but so is the story in general, and it hits that light urban feel right on the mark. And the editing's rather normal, too—almost everything seems that way excluding the film's content. Truffaut's love for cinema doesn't make itself as apparent here as Godard's does in Breathless. Instead, moderation aids careful observation of a rueful social background, meaning that it enhances the story structure. Extremes are more common in movies than I thought, at least after watching this solid, relevant New Wave piece. The best thing the director does here is view children like he would adults, and while his debut feature feels a bit too floaty and slight to impress me, he meets his general goals right from the start. At the end, though, I would have preferred a single long take, not an artificial freeze-frame that just looks off.

shakes_no.gif

big ander

What's wrong with it? I think it does a great job of conveying that it's a romantic comedy, just look at that sly look Kurylenko's giving. This would a be great impulse buy item at the Walmart checkout. Just me, this movie, and a family size frozen lasagna: the perfect night in.
Exactly why I like the actual blu ray cover more. I mean, I technically prefer the poster art but the blu ray cover is going to prompt impulse-buying aunts and uncles to grab it on the way out of Target and their hypothetical reactions are delicious to me.
the correct response

Addi

Headhunters Decent thriller, a bit disappointed after all the hype I've been hearing though. It's not bad, just not that special.

Spring Breakers Franco was fun, Hudgens so hot. I liked the fragmented editing style with repetitions, juxtapositions, flash forwards/backwards etc. It felt like a stream of consciousness, as if we were experiencing ambiguous memories. Some other neat stuff here and there, like the
Britney Spears scene
and the cliff martinez-sounding version of Skrillex's song. It wasn't a mindblowing movie, but it had some interesting aspects.

Broseybrose

I watched Cloud Atlas last night. I found it really impressive throughout and felt quite satisfied at the end. It's worth the three hours spent watching it.

8/10

I rarely post in these threads, but when I do, its to recommend a movie that I think is worth watching. /Dos Equis guy

Divius

Finally framed my Take Shelter poster.

Also have a Blade Runner and Alien one to switch things up. Alien poster is in Italian though because the dude at the store fucked with me, grr.

been watching netflix lately.

saw

The music never stopped - Thought it was a slow drag but it was good at the last 30 minutes.
Listen to your heart - it was okay. thought the movie was about mark zuckerberg dating a deaf girl. the ending was okay. knew it was going to happen.

Watched A Better Tomorrow last night. thought it was a good movie. had some homo moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom