• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrnzaaas

CAV1IV1.jpg

Morbius started out good, but got disappointing after that and I especially disliked the transformation of Milo's character which felt rushed and one-sided. Plus the time jump between the young and mature versions of characters isn't believable considering that two leads aren't young guys anymore (40 & 50yo).

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

One of the best horror movies ever imo.
Mostly the film relies on subtle, subliminal horror. But when it's adequate, it also can get really nasty.

The movie is btw a remake. The original released 1977. However, I would consider the film more as a complete reinterpretation that even surpasses the original.

Some people though may have issues with the film due to its length and "arthouse" style.

Excuse me sir I believe I am owed an explanation as to what the fuck I just watched thank u

GeekyDad

Watched American Gangster. I think I enjoyed it more watching it in clips on Youtube. There are some really good scenes, which is what compelled me to watch the movie as a whole. But ultimately, it was more Ridley Scott being Ridley Scott, and eh... And not his best either. I wish as a movie based on reality it would have been a bit more clinical. It's fine, I guess. Completely uninspiring ending.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
vww3iJr.jpg

Emancipation (2022)

Like all movies on this subject matter I found it tough to watch.

That said, it was good not great. Pacing issues. The score is practically nonexistent. I don't think going black and white helped.

Ben Foster did his usual habit of stealing every scene he's in. Smith is great as always but his talents felt a little wasted.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Nightingale. Seen it before, wanted to watch it again. Forgot how insanely brutal it is. One of the hardest movies to watch, but it's very good. Aisling Franciosi is awesome in it. Sam Claflin may play the most hateable character ever in a movie.

Doom85

RBfaX31.jpg

Bullet Train was a surprisingly fun action/comedy flick. Plenty of good scenes, the humor is not forced, the editing feels fresh, nice setting, good cgi, solid cast & fun cameos from several famous actors. Perfect flick to watch during the holidays if you haven't seen it yet.

My 4th favorite movie of the year. Granted, I really like stories set on trains (either classic ones or fancy modern ones like this) so I admit I’m a tad biased, but this was just a really enjoyable time.

Andyliini

Watched American Gangster from 2007. It was a bit slow at the beginning, but picked up pace towards the end. Not my favorite movie by any means, but quite fun for a single watch. I also appreciate that Blu-Ray releases from this era still have substantial special features included on them. It's a far cry now outside of limited editions from specialized publishers.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio - Pretty but didn't enjoy it, who was this made for? Not for children but also not for adults...

She Said - Important story, lame as hell movie. More press room and less postnatal deppression would have been cool

Till - Same issue, important story, way too clean and stage like feature film

Disenchanted - Horrible!

Toons

I have a lot of movies on my list. As a relatively younger man I have to catch up on a few older ones in between my s superhero soap dramas XD

But a couple months back I watched Yojimbo and found it pretty cool. More nonchalant but very innovative visually. Fight scenes were actually pretty exciting.

GeekyDad

Ugh...no matter how many times I watch it, Philadelphia is just such a well-told story. I simply don't care that there is dramatic license taken (perhaps -- I still say that's speculative, since it was supposed to be a very public case), it is just so incredibly well told. Probably Denzel's best role to date. Amazing how, with the right director, he is absolutely one of the finest actors (in my eyes, anyway) of the art.

Ugh... :messenger_loudly_crying:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ugh...no matter how many times I watch it, Philadelphia is just such a well-told story. I simply don't care that there is dramatic license taken (perhaps -- I still say that's speculative, since it was supposed to be a very public case), it is just so incredibly well told. Probably Denzel's best role to date. Amazing how, with the right director, he is absolutely one of the finest actors (in my eyes, anyway) of the art.

Ugh... :messenger_loudly_crying:

If you have Apple TV+ check out his take on Macbeth. It's one of the greatest takes on the character IMO.

hollams

Gold Member
Watched Ambulance this weekend and if you turn your brain off it's an ok movie. It has great sound so it's worth watching for that. The story ehhh...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

holy shit these nods are trash
tarantino validated again

Strange that you feel that way since the Golden Globe Awards voting body is more inclusive and diverse than ever before. Just look at these stats and you know these voters couldn't have been better chosen.

The nominees were voted by 96 members and, for the first time, 103 international voters. The new voters were recruited from international industry organizations , well-known foreign film festivals and journalism professionals. This diverse voting group represents 62 different countries around the world. Combined with the current membership, the total Golden Globe Awards voting body is now 52% female, 51.8% racially and ethnically diverse, with 19.6% Latinx, 12.1% Asian, 10.1% Black, and 10.1% Middle Eastern.

Please don't tell me you'd want the old system back where members were chosen for their knowledge and industry experience instead of their race and gender?

GeekyDad

Not a movie, a new series (I'm still waiting for an OT for series/TV).

https%3A%2F%2Famazonadviser.com%2Ffiles%2Fimage-exchange%2F2017%2F07%2Fie_94698-850x560.jpeg

This is what cancer looks like when the body has just died, but the cancer is still fresh. This is it, the sign we've been waiting for. Ready your families, the end is nigh.

I'm not sure if this was made by an algorithm or high-school interns, but it is devoid of art. It is cancer of the arts. Raw, bleeding cancer.

xrnzaaas

mMrnExe.jpg

Christmas Bloody Christmas was a pretty cool horror flick with some comedy bits. I liked the killer robot Santa, the cast was good (although they could've toned it down with the main characters not shutting up for the first 30 minutes), the kills were cool and I enjoyed the
Terminator 1
inspired finale. One of the more pleasant Christmas horrors I've seen in the last few years.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Saw Uncharted recently. Oh boy what a pile of stinking garbage. Best part was the “15 years later” time skip, where the young Drake transforms into Tom Holland and they still look the same age. This guy has more babyface than Ralph Macchio.

Stunts and CGI were terrible, story was a joke. Every Nic Cage Templar adventure did it better. Banderas totally wasted, his plot twist half way through the movie the only surprise. 2/10, would not watch again.

GreenAlien

kut-876446704-large.jpg

It's a low budget hungarian movie I found on prime and surprisingly managed to watch to the end so it must have done something right.

Gas Station in the middle of nowhere: a young man arrives to meet his father he hasn't seen for 30 years. On the same day a van with four prostitutes on the way to Switzerland breaks down at the very same gas station. The three days they spend together in the station change their lives forever.

Andyliini

Body of Lies
Another action thriller from Ridley Scott, this time starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Based on a novel by David Ignatius, it follows a pair of CIA agents (DiCaprio and Russell Crowe) trying to catch an Al-Qaida terrorist in Iran. It was not anything special, but still better than Scott's previous film, American Gangster.

GeekyDad

Body of Lies
Another action thriller from Ridley Scott, this time starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Based on a novel by David Ignatius, it follows a pair of CIA agents (DiCaprio and Russell Crowe) trying to catch an Al-Qaida terrorist in Iran. It was not anything special, but still better than Scott's previous film, American Gangster.
Just watched the trailer. Looks worse, honestly.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Enola Holmes 2

It was good, better than the first in my opinion, and it gave Cavill some room to shine as Sherlock.
The first half of the movie follows Enola, but then in the midpoint it changes gears and follows Sherlock as he hunts Moriarty and attempts to help her.

3/5 I guess. It has tons of charm, just like the first, but it's too long. It very much feels like the producers made it this long to score more minutes and ensure a third movie in the series.

Last edited:
just rewatched Your Name. i watched it a few years ago but i finished the light novel today and thought to give it a rewatch.

seems like when i was thinking of this movie i was thinking of another :messenger_grinning_sweat: and now it's annoying me what movie it was. i remember some stuff from Your Name and the ending isn't what i remembered lol. maybe i was thinking of Weathering with you but i'm not sure. I'm going to start reading the light novel of that next then i'll watch the movie again.

Jaybe

Amsterdam (1/5)

This is one of the worst stinkers I’ve had the displeasure to have watched this year. How a director can take a huge ensemble cast with some talent, and get this as an output is a feat. Most lines are delivered like they are being read the first time. Actors have delayed reactions, like ‘ah yes, my turn to speak’. Camera floats around missing dialogue. I’m convinced John David Washington can’t act and will unfortunately get roles for another decade until people put it together. Robbie is terrible too in this, maybe she’s a flash in the pan. Bale is quality but his character isn’t that interesting with delivering sleepy Columbo-esque narrative. No surprise it bombed at the box office given its $80 million production budget.

xrnzaaas

I just rewatched the entire Final Destination series...
1-3 are all still very good. 2 is always going to be my favorite, because the highway pileup is my favorite scene.
4 was godawful for several reasons - building everything around 3D effects (which sucks when watching in 2D), plenty of crappy scenes & acting and bad attempts at humor (like the racist redneck's death).
5 was thankfully a welcome return to being good. The bridge collapse is enjoyable despite mediocre CGI and the deaths which follow that were mostly good. I was also okay with the introduction of the concept of taking someone else's life so that death skips you on the list.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Luck (2022) - Apple TV+

It starts out with tons of promise and all of the charm and joy of the early Pixar films. The animation and acting is great. It's as inventive as a Ghibli film in some ways.

Bad news: it's a good thirty to forty five minutes too long. That sounds extreme, but seriously, the entire second act should have been half the length and they could have excised a few characters for brevity. The overlong length leads to so many setbacks in the plot that it becomes cumbersome and frustrating. This feels like another victim of creating a movie by committee and algorithm.

2.5/5. If you have kids I am sure they'll love the beginning, fall asleep halfway through, and then you can set them down for the second half the next day.

Mohonky

The Menu - 5/5

I love a good dark comedy and this one might actually be the best movie I have seen for a long time. Ralph Fiennes absolutely kills this role. Anya Taylor-Joy and the rest of the cast, the scripting and performances are fantastic but Fiennes is perfection; especially the delivery on some of the sharp responses to the guests.

Everything about this movie just works. At a time when so many movies are the same shit rehashed over and over again, this one really did it for me.

If you haven't seen the trailer or know anything about it, don't watch any previews etc, just go in blind. It would be all the better for it.

Last edited:
1-3 are all still very good. 2 is always going to be my favorite, because the highway pileup is my favorite scene.
4 was godawful for several reasons - building everything around 3D effects (which sucks when watching in 2D), plenty of crappy scenes & acting and bad attempts at humor (like the racist redneck's death).
5 was thankfully a welcome return to being good. The bridge collapse is enjoyable despite mediocre CGI and the deaths which follow that were mostly good. I was also okay with the introduction of the concept of taking someone else's life so that death skips you on the list.
I agree on everything. Perhaps you're me?

Favorite death scene is the gymnastics, nail and balance beam from Final Destination 5

Last edited:

NahaNago

I just watched knives out finally. Not as good as it was hyped to be. Preferred the glass onion movie. What may have altered my view of the movie is that I watched glass onion first. The first half was pretty good and was pretty much similar to the glass onion. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I also watched the movie called Cirkus in theaters. This bollywood(?) movie was really enjoyable. Another twins switched at birth movie but with 2 pairs of twins getting mixed up so double the mix ups. The movie is extremely colorful and set in the past so you see them driving some classic vehicles. I do have a couple of minor issues with the movie. One of the leading lady love interests is much weaker than the other to the point that I thought she was going to be replaced by someone else who shows up halfway through the movie. The second thing is we have this popular actress do a musical number and that was it. You never see her again. That threw me off. The last thing is I would have liked to have had the fat twins( they were referred to as fat quite often in the film) have a love interest. Considering how colorful and over the top a few of the characters were I think they could have went even crazier with the stunts. I'd give this movie an 8 out of 10. The theater I was in was blasting the audio for the movie. Ridiculously loud!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
RRR - Netflix
Damn, this was an absolutely insane epic that was highly entertaining. It's a story of friendship and has over the top action to extreme levels. Not only that, it contains random Bollywood songs that had my wife and I laughing because to us, they were so random. I highly recommend this film.
I'm watching this now. IT is insane. there is no subtlety. THe English hate is real. The CG is over the top. The action is over the top. Even the songs explain the whole story early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom