• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe1138

Secret Honor

It's a one-man show starring Philip Baker Hall as Richard Nixon, directed by Robert Altman. It's been on my list for many years I but never got around to picking up the Criterion DVD. Finally sat down to watch it on Hulu over the weekend, what a great flick. And that ending... wow.

EDIT: Also, since I'm new and I like filling out questionnaires...

1. Favorite Movie:
Star Wars (1-6)

2. Top Three Actors:
Don't have any. I'm a fan of filmmakers, not so much actors.

3. How horrible is Avengers?
It's mediocre, far from horrible.

4. How many films do you watch a year?
Let's say 75.

5. Favorite Genre?
N/A I enjoy films from all genres.

6. What is your favorite performance in film?
Steve Coogan as Tony Wilson - 24 Hour Party People

7. Who is your favorite director?
George Lucas

The Last Unicorn is fantastic. Specifically asked for the DVD for my 20th birthday. It's got good voice acting, a haunting atmosphere, beautiful art direction, and a distinctive score (most of it is by America, right?). Hands down my favorite traditionally animated film of all time. El Duderino on the mic.

joe1138

Which is your favorite prequel?

It's too hard for me to just pick one, that's why I lump 'em all together as one big movie. If we're going by sheer viewings, probably The Phantom Menace (gasp!) but the truth is I love every single frame of those movies. I have so much admiration for what George Lucas and his team did across all 6 of those films.

Count Dookkake said:
AOTC is the best Star Wars.

Suck it!

Ever been to The Lard Biscuit? That guy just might agree with you.

It's too hard for me to just pick one, that's why I lump 'em all together as big movie. If we're going by sheer viewings, probably The Phantom Menace (gasp!) but the truth is I love every single frame of those movies. I have so much admiration for what George Lucas and his team did across those 6 films.

lol same here. Star Wars sort of defined my life. My only real issue with the PT is the excessive use of digital sets. It paved the way for other VFX studios to improve upon the technology, but some of the locations lack tangibility and it's become a bit distracting on repeat viewings. Set design was one of the OT's greatest achievements.

Blader

I liked the second half of Revenge of the Sith.

Clones is the worst by far though. TPM at least has Liam Neeson and Darth Maul and great-looking lightsaber fights.

joe1138

lol same here. Star Wars sort of defined my life. My only real issue with the PT is the excessive use of digital sets. It paved the way for other VFX studios to improve upon the technology, but some of the locations lack tangibility. Set design was one of the OT's greatest achievements.

Right on. I personally don't have a problem with the use of digital sets in the prequels but I can see where you're coming from. Norman Reynolds' work in the OT was fantastic and still holds up but I also appreciate the sheer depth and scope ILM was able to pull off in the prequels.

I liked the second half of Revenge of the Sith.

Clones is the worst by far though. TPM at least has Liam Neeson and Darth Maul and great-looking lightsaber fights.

I maintain that Darth Maul died two movies too soon. Dooku should have never existed.

mxgt

Banned
Some stuff I've seen recently

The Room - Ha ha! what a story Mark! legit one of the funniest movies ever made, I love it when someone tries to make a serious movie and fails in every possible manner. 0/10 for the film, 10/10 for hilarity.

How to Train Your Dragon - Still ain't Pixar tier, but it's the best Dreamworks animation I've seen. 6/10

Spiders (2013) - I don't even know why I watched this. It's not even good for TV B movie standards. -1000/10

Godzilla (Original) - Felt good to cleanse myself from Emmerich's trash. 7/10

The Blue Angel - Pretty great tale about a man who gets a bit too infatuated with a dancer. Plus it has Marlene Dietrich in it. 9/10

Kuroneko - dat lighting, Japanese filmmakers were so damn stylish. 8/10

Kiki's Delivery Service - studio ghibli/10

Early Summer - Setsuko Hara seriously has the greatest smile ever. 8/10

that spoon shit looks annoying. i just wanna watch this film in peace in theaters. absorb the drama again.

it's probably a top 10 film of the last decade for me in hindsight.

So what movies are we all looking forward to in the fall to come? These mediocre popcorn films have depressed me, and if Pacific Rim stinks, I might not be able to cope.

1. Gravity
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
3. The Wolf of Wall Street
4. Captain Phillips
5. American Hustle

None. Movies suck. Call me when Abbas Kiarostami releases a new film or if Shūichi Okita's A Story of Yonosuke is released in the west. If Yoshihiro Nakamura 's new film comes out that shit will be the best movie of the year.

I don't know what's going on, I haven't seen anything in many days. Is it possible On Golden Pond burned me out? I don't even know what to watch or if I want to.

Help me movie god!

Out of the dated ones:

Gravity
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Counselor
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska
Her
Monuments Men

Not dated:

Blue is the Warmest Color
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Snowpiercer
The Immigrant
Foxcatcher
Night Moves
The Rover
The Double
A Most Wanted Man
Nymphomaniac
Devil's Knot
Any Malick Film
Zero Theorem
Under the Skin

Ah shit I didn't even know the slave movie was coming this year. Awesome. There haven't been many ads for fall films

Yep, it even got moved up from December to October. Trailer should be coming very soon and expect more announcements on the rest when festivals announce their line-ups.

All is Lost is another one I'm very interested in, it slipped my mind. Robert Redford on a boat for 90 mins, no name, no knowable past, no loved ones nor enemies back home to give his quest familiar emotional moorings to the audience, just working on pure human empathy for a man under extreme circumstances.

sharnaak

So what movies are we all looking forward to in the fall to come? These mediocre popcorn films have depressed me, and if Pacific Rim stinks, I might not be able to cope.

1. Gravity
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Captain Phillips
5. American Hustle

American Hustle
Wolf of Wall street
Don Jon
Inside Llewyn Davis

Also i went to see Man of Steel tonight, it wasn't as bad as I had read, nothing exceptional but it holds his ground and did way better than the last star trek for me.

None. Movies suck. Call me when Abbas Kiarostami releases a new film or if Shūichi Okita's A Story of Yonosuke is released in the west. If Yoshihiro Nakamura 's new film comes out that shit will be the best movie of the year.

Hey, there's always the Criterion release of A Brighter Summer Day to look forward to, right?

1. Gravity
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Captain Phillips
5. American Hustle

A Field In England (tomorrow!)
Pacific Rim
The World's End
Elysium
Riddick
Gravity

Unknown:
Nymphomaniac
Filth

2014:
The Congress (Ari Folman, Waltz with Bashir)
ibeUlaceVOhFaV.gif

Sorry to chime in on an expired conversation, but I loved the freeze frame in 400 Blows. I've never understood why it was a defining new wave movie though, I always found it to be a take on neo realism. I guess that's what makes it new wave, right :)

Meanwhile I've been watching

Searching for Sugar Man (2012)
Liked this while I was watching it, great tunes too, felt a bit disappointed when I read up on it later.

The Fury (1978)
This had everything to make it a 70s classic, loved the camerawork and music... but it just didn't work, and I'm still trying to figure out why (bad acting? bad pacing...?)

Shotgun Stories (2007)
Finally watched this, had a Shannongasm. You can see the seed of Take Shelter being sown here.

In Another Country (2012)
The most filmic of the Sang-soo Hong movies, even if it still looked rather bleak and ugly. It was also the most accessible for non-Koreans from the ones I've seen, even if I'm not sure what the movie was trying to say, or what the point of the overarching story was. Huppert seemed very unsure of what she was doing.

Oh and I'm down with Fassbinder, I have seen a bunch of his films, liked most of them, and this is a nice motivation to watch some more.

Blader

1. Gravity
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Captain Phillips
5. American Hustle

Gravity
The Wolf of Wall Street
American Hustle
Monuments Men
Anchorman 2 (lol)

My most anticipated though, but still undated, is Errol Morris' Rumsfeld doc, The Unknown Known.

big ander

does hulu have in a year with 13 moons? for some reason it doesn't let non-members search. just browse

i'd select these films for you guys.

the bitter tears of petra von kant
ali: fear eats the soul
in a year with 13 moons

good cross section of his work and avoids his series/longer works.

cool, and just to make it a full four films I'll blindly add on another short one (unless it's bad): The American Soldier. so to maintain chronology and make it easiest since we're starting a little bit late and people would need time to get their hands on the movies, I'm feeling the best way to do it:

Week 1: The American Soldier (Hulu Plus, Netflix Disc)
Week 2: The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (Hulu Plus, Netflix Disc)
Week 3: Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Hulu Plus, Netflix Disc)
Week 4: In A Year With 13 Moons (Netflix Disc)

This way anyone with Hulu+ but not Netflix can do the first 3 weeks, anyone with Netflix but not Hulu+ has time to get the discs to them for the last 3 weeks, and anyone with both can go nuts

objections?

This is the End

9/10

I find the whole Seth Rogen crew a little wearing sometimes, so I didn't really enjoy Pineapple Express that much for instance.

But I loved this film, easily the best comedy I've seen in a cinema this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom