• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
the_master_poster1busu4.jpeg

The Master

With certain movies, I like to play the waiting game. This was one of those, and I was not disappointed. I loved it, and I think PT is one of the best directors in the world and it's incredible to think he wrote it too. Phoenix delivers a tour de force performance, and I cannot comprehend how he wasn't recognized by his achievement here.

I think everyone should see this movie, and maybe you won't even like it but it deserves to be seen. From acting, to writing, to cinematography etc this a movie where the talent involved is at the top of its game.

I have stoker on the to watch list too.

I liked The Master in the way that I assume a film school student would like The Master. Its parts are greater than the whole, I think.

The Master

With certain movies, I like to play the waiting game. This was one of those, and I was not disappointed. I loved it, and I think PT is one of the best directors in the world and it's incredible to think he wrote it too. Phoenix delivers a tour de force performance, and I cannot comprehend how he wasn't recognized by his achievement here.

I think everyone should see this movie, and maybe you won't even like it but it deserves to be seen. From acting, to writing, to cinematography etc this a movie where the talent involved is at the top of its game.

I have stoker on the to watch list too.

I was all over that Joaquin Oscar bandwagon.

BAMCinematek in NYC: http://www.bam.org/film/2013/2001-a-space-odyssey

It plays until Tuesday there. It's a 4K DCP, looked amazing though. They just got a brand new massive screen with new audio system.

Such a masterpiece of a movie.

They have a cool screening series going on in honor of the new screen, including Lawrence of Arabia, and the first two Godfathers. I've never seen Doctor Zhivago, should I make it a priority?

Meliorism

It's not like breathless good, but it's an interesting struggle in film making. I think his digital work will become more and more important as medium as story

You mean Contempt good.

You live in THE premier city for film and they still give you digital and not a 70mm print. The fuck is that about? I've seen the movie once...70mm screening. I think Austin plays it every year during their summer classic film series...it played right after Baraka when I saw it in 2011.

It plays until Tuesday there. It's a 4K DCP, looked amazing though. They just got a brand new massive screen with new audio system.

They have a cool screening series going on in honor of the new screen, including Lawrence of Arabia, and the first two Godfathers. I've never seen Doctor Zhivago, should I make it a priority?

How do you feel 2010 compares? I've been watching it on HBO Go and, while I couldn't put them on the same plane, 2010's still a pretty capable and visually impressive film. Didn't like the zero gravity shots with a human subject, though. They framed 'em a little too closely, which I felt detracted from the dreadful feeling of isolation in an endless space. It makes me appreciate (2001)
the shot of Poole flailing around in space and the frantic change of visual pace that composition provided.

UrbanRats

"You know, we are sitting here, you and I, like a couple of regular fellas. You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do. And now that we've been face to face, if I'm there and I gotta put you away, I won't like it. But I tell you, if it's between you and some poor bastard whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow, brother, you are going down."

"There is a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in and I gotta put you down? Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second."

There's no way one of them wasn't going to die after that exchange.

I wouldn't have minded
an open ending
, to be honest.
Also, the extended cut of the movie is too bloated, they should at the very least
take the sub plot of Weingro and the hooker out.

You live in THE premier city for film and they still give you digital and not a 70mm print. The fuck is that about? I've seen the movie once...70mm screening. I think Austin plays it every year during their summer classic film series...it played right after Baraka when I saw it in 2011.

Yeah, I know they had 70mm last fall at Lincoln Center, but it was during Christmas and I was away. Next time I'll be all over it.

How do you feel 2010 compares? I've been watching it on HBO Go and, while I couldn't put them on the same plane, 2010's still a pretty capable and visually impressive film. Didn't like the zero gravity shots with a human subject, though. They framed 'em a little too closely, which I felt detracted from the dreadful feeling of isolation in an endless space. It makes me appreciate (2001)
the shot of Poole flailing around in space and the frantic change of visual pace that composition provided.

Never seen 2010! I suppose I should get around to that.

World War Z - Better than I expected, and certainly better than The Walking Dead. Since I knew it wasn't going to be faithful to the book, I just kept pretending it was a prequel to 28 Days Later. I think it worked.

Shit, until Tuesday? I've never seen 2001 and I'd love to see it for the first time in theaters, but there's no way I'll be able to go by Tuesday.

rewatched LOST IN TRANSLATION. it's been years since i've seen it but damn it's as good as ever. really nice to watch something with this aimless vibe to the characters late at night when you're bored. scarlett has never been hotter. and this is bill murray's best film.

rewatched LOST IN TRANSLATION. it's been years since i've seen it but damn it's as good as ever. really nice to watch something with this aimless vibe to the characters late at night when you're bored. scarlett has never been hotter. and this is bill murray's best film.

Yes, best film of the 00's.

Mr. Sam

10 minutes to A Field in England on tv (Film 4 channel). Already bought the blu ray, but want to see the movie with the rest of the UK first. Hope it's good.

I missed this last night because I was, get this, out drinking with some mates. I know - sad, right? Anyway, is it on 4OD? It's either that or I'm off to the cinema, methinks.

strafer

The Crazies (2010)

God I love Timothy Olyphant. He's so underrated and underused.

Terrific actor.

This movie was pretty cool. Different from all the other crap you get.

UrbanRats

What do you guys and gals think of The Wall?

As a teenager i watched it a million times.
Frankly i would've preferred it being a full on animated movie, i think the heavy handed symbolism works best that way.
Also i love the album, although i know it's kind of divisive, among Pink Floyd fans.

bud

The Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H7xIHkgCzqo#t=441s (the timestamp doesn't seem to be working, but i meant to link to the part at 7:25).

Ridley327

What do you guys and gals think of The Wall?

It's a good visual compliment to the album, but it has the same problem that the album does, in that it really sputters in the middle and it doesn't pick back up until Comfortably Numb starts playing. I will say that the film's unquestionably great element was Bob Geldof, who really knocks Pink out of the park.

Stoker

More like Stroker/10

Chanwook Park directed the shit out of this and Mia Wasikowska is a fantastic actress.

Very well directed but what a dull script

Still out of all the Korean directors making their way to Hollywood, park clearly has the best prospects going by this film

Give him a better script and he'll probably make a film that will have a lot of people talking

Ridley327

Maniac (dir. Franck Khalfoun)

Always a prime candidate for a remake, Maniac comes screaming and bleeding into the 21st century, and it's in many ways a far more successful and gripping film than Bill Lustig's original. Changing just about everything from the original, outside of the names of the two main characters and the general premise, director Franck Khalfoun's take absolutely flies where the original hobbles, and makes good use of its central gimmick in the first-person perspective. The script is also lean and mean, ensuring that we're not wasting time without it coming at the expense of the relationship between Frank and Anna, which was a major issue in the original film. The film also smartly incorporates many of the setups from scenes in the original film and twists them into something completely different, ensuring that any viewer is going to be caught off-guard by the proceedings. If it stumbles, it's because it's not 100% committed to the first-person perspective, offering up some confusing master shots to set up a few of the scenes, rather than relying on Frank's perspective, which stands as the film's biggest disappointment. That being said, Maniac is certainly one of the finest modern horror films out there and it will easily stand up as being one of the best remakes, period.

Dookake's taste remains impeccable.

Still making my way through these Argento movies:

Inferno (1980): Totally ridiculous plot and a pretty lackluster ending, but it had that Suspiria color scheme and a few good scenes so not all was lost.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970): Very good movie, especially considering this was Argento's first. The opening scene, and the chase were so well done. Lots of style.

Tenebre (1982): Great kills, and the ending is silly amazing craziness. Really liked this one.

Opera (1987): So close to being up there with Deep Red and Suspiria. The execution of the first scenes at the opera is fantastic, all the kills are well done and made me squirm due to all the
eye horror, eww
, and the set-piece in the apartment is SO GOOD. That portion of the movie seriously bumped it up a few notches by itself with the slow build, great camera work, use of colors, and the
gunshot through the peephole, through the head, and destroying the telephone
; MASTERFUL. I was with this all the way up until the very end where it takes a weird turn and left me wondering "wut?" Despite the flat ending, I very much enjoyed this.

Might check out Phenomena next, and I have some Mario Bava stuff lined up after that. ITALIANS, Y U SO GOOD?

Also:

The Last Boy Scout (1991): Rewatch after my Lethal Weapon series rewatch. Shane Black should have way more credits to his name after 26 years. Smarten up Hollywood, let this man do his thang.

This Is The End (2013): Went in with no expectations and came out happy. Really funny.

Divius

Net_Wrecker: Glad you're liking Argento's giallo goodness, such a fun genre to explore.

--

World War Z - I had trust in this project ever since Forster's name was attached, although it did seem to become a trainwreck with all the production issues (and that godawful first trailer). I'm glad to say this was surprisingly good and I really enjoyed myself, all I had to do was cut the link between this movie and the book because they have nothing in common. There is a lot of momentum due to great pacing, some tense scenes and some cool action scenes. Brad Pitt is fine, but when his character is ATTN BIG SPOILERS
surviving plane crashes and inventing the cure
it's just too much. Usually in zombie-films the viewer is stuck in a single location with the survivors, so it was refreshing to have Brad Pitt visit a bunch of different locations ***½
Man of Steel - lol zack snyder *½

many horror movies these days lack the identity that stuff like argento had. those soundtracks....fuuck. so good

Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of modern horror. A lot of it has become more about using loud jump scares every 5 minutes than making a memorable, stylish, unique horror movie, weird David Lynch-esque stuff notwithstanding. I tend to find older horror of any type, not just giallo, more enjoyable and memorable than the new stuff that is mentally disposed of once the credits roll.

Like, complain about the heavy metal used during scenes in Opera but where would you even see something like that these days without a wink and nudge?

javadots

Banned
1. Favorite Movie?
A Beautiful Mind​
2. Top Three Actors?
Ryan Gosling, Will Smith, Billy Crystal​
3. How horrible is Avengers?
Pretty f'ing horrible​
4. How many films do you watch a year?
+150​
5. Favorite Genre?
Sci-Fi​
6. What is your favorite performance in film?
Ryan Gosling during the diner interview in The Believer​
7. Who is your favorite director?
Ridley Scott​

Blader

As a teenager i watched it a million times.
Frankly i would've preferred it being a full on animated movie, i think the heavy handed symbolism works best that way.
Also i love the album, although i know it's kind of divisive, among Pink Floyd fans.

It is? Isn't The Wall like one of the biggest albums of all time?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Primer - This film made me feel dumb because I literally did not understand a single thing that happened in the movie. Will watch again sometime later till I get it. It's only 76-minutes long! ** 1/2 (rating subject to change)

Upstream Color - From a aesthetic standpoint this was far more appealing to me than Primer so I enjoyed it a lot more. Story was immensely more understandable too, the combination of ambience and visuals gave off a really nice feel too, feeling reminiscent of a Tim Hecker album I guess, yet I felt those elements never really came together as well as they should have, in fact a number of sequences towards the end felt obtuse for the sake of it, rather than any purposeful reason, and despite the story being really fucking cool on a premise-level, I don't feel it was as well-executed as it could have been. The film was definitely interesting enough to put his next film on the radar for me at the very least though. ***

Also saw To The Wonder in theatres again the other day.. and it was even better the second time round!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Born on the Fourth of July: When Oliver Stone made good movies, and this is probably his best along with JFK. It's pretty understandable why Tom Cruise chose to become the face of yearly blockbusters earning him a gazillion dollars, but he really can be an excellent actor. Probably his best performance, not easy to carry a film when you're in practically every scene. Would have probably got him that Oscar in any other year, but alas, another one steamrolled by Day-Lewis. That wheelchair fight was tops.

Robocop: What a classic. Clarence is still one of the baddest motherfuckers ever to grace the screen and the best reason to ever watch the 70s Show. Kurtwood, you legend, you. Seen this movie many times now, but it has so many unforgettable moments it just flies by.

The Big Lebowski: Seen this a few times now, and it's still very entertaining. I don't really see how some many call it the best Coen Bros. movie (if they generally like their movies, that is), but it's definitely worth a watch. It has several extremely funny moments, but it kinda feels that's all there is. A fun ride.

Into

Man of Steel

There are things to appreciate about this film, they have tried to adopt a very old formula from a very different time period to today, they did not just make "Superman" in 2013 the way you would expect. They asked a few important questions, as to how people would react to such a alien, in the old Superman movies this was never really brought up, people would just love this super...man.

The issues are that most of the action is hollow, maybe i am jaded or something but i never worried for any of the main characters in this film. None of the fight scenes were suspenseful because they were just punching each other and must have set a record in how many times someone went through a building. This is a flaw with Superman in general in that he almost has no flaws. In Dark Knight Returns
when Bane was kicking the ever loving shit out of Batman in the sewers you actually were concerned, because he looked really hurt.
There is no sense of damage in Man of Steel, are they hurting each other? Because they just brush off the damage, its hard to be excited about that, its like watching 2 pro wrestlers duke it and stiff each other (which in wrestling terms means, not sell a movie aka not react at all to your opponents offensive moves)

It was unbelievable that they did the whole,
"he is wearing glasses so people cannot tell that he is Superman" at the very end, i know that is a joke basically running in the comics and movies, how stupid it all is, but for this movie it just did not fit in, they tried a serious tone and i like that, no reason to throw it away.

Ringu

I saw this movie when it came out and re watched it again. Let me say something about Japan as a country first: I do not care about anime, none of it appeals to me, i admit that i have no real understanding of their culture and i do not really care enough to find out. Their country seems weird and alien to me.

But there are things they do in Japan better than anywhere else, they still understand things about horror films that American studios and directors long since have forgotten, the "horror" in a movie is not what happens in the actual movie, it is what happens in your own head, your own imagination. All a horror movie is, is fuel for that imagination.

That is why Ringu was scary as hell back then, and why it is still scary. The Japanese horror directors also understand how important it is for us to identify and like the protagonist, because if we don't, then we are cheering for the killer, and if we are cheering for the killer/ghost/monster then the whole movie collapses onto it self. This is the one thing you will notice if you have not seen many Japanese horror films, you will be surprised that the actors are attempting to portray ordinary boring people, not stereotypes and annoying asshats.

Ringu still works, because your own fantasy and imagination will always be the scariest thing, it will never stop working so to speak. And the film succeeds because of that.

Silent Hill Revelation

What is there really to say? They botched the first film horribly by not actually understanding the plot of the original game, now they released Silent Hill 3 the movie, ofcourse it is no where near as scary as the game. Instead of understand the concepts behind sex and death that prevails the series, the people behind this film have decided to Hollywood it up, and deliver a even worse film than the original, which now looks like a master piece compared to this.

Duriii

I just watched Miami Connection (1987) for the first time, on Netflix. Oh my god, by the end of it I nearly fell out of my bed from laughing. Especially after this panel, that shows up like 5 minutes after
2 main characters kills about 20-30 motoninjas one after another :D

http://min.us/lcFMshE6kGMmP

Not to mention those creepy dialogues, awful editing and that "awesome" 80's pop-music soundtrack. To be honest, I found out about this movie after hearing "Friends Together" in FC3:BD, and then looking up the source of this song. Well, I'm glad I did it, I haven't laughed like that in ages...

Into

Born on the Fourth of July: When Oliver Stone made good movies, and this is probably his best along with JFK. It's pretty understandable why Tom Cruise chose to become the face of yearly blockbusters earning him a gazillion dollars, but he really can be an excellent actor. Probably his best performance, not easy to carry a film when you're in practically every scene. Would have probably got him that Oscar in any other year, but alas, another one steamrolled by Day-Lewis. That wheelchair fight was tops.

I agree, what a amazing film this was. It captures the era perfectly and Cruise is easily at his best. Sometimes i think people get too tangled up with Stone's obvious view on politics and disregard his films, which is a shame.

Born on the Fourth of July is one of my all time favorites, it captures the era like no other film before it. The naivete of his character before going off to Nam and his complete change is wonderfully done

UrbanRats

It is? Isn't The Wall like one of the biggest albums of all time?

Well yeah it's still Pink Floyd.
But almost anyone loves, say, Dark Side of the Moon (provided they like Pink Floyd in the first place) while The Wall is more divisive, at least in my experience.
It being a very different style and basically the moment where Waters and the others had the big break up.

I figure the final moments of Cronos are the first high point in Of The Bull's long, intermittent career. It helps that the story itself is entertaining and well-constructed enough that the occasional interactions between Jesus and Aurora stick out with additional meaning. The film starts out with a spooky narration and sneak peek of what rampant alchemy and hopeless dreams can procure, but it ends with a lot of genre tropes thrown out the window. Hell, I can point out more than a few flaws with the movie, but it's still one hell of a debut. Hellboy and Pacific Rim are next for my trip through the director's filmography. ****/*

Also: Nicol Williamson's the best Hamlet I've yet seen. Branagh's tough to top, but Williamson comes off less like hyperactive Charles Foster Kane and more like the delirious college student Hamlet is. Richardson's film is...interesting, and very claustrophobic. I don't think anyone interested in the play would watch the 1969 version anymore, but I find it refreshingly ascetic and surprisingly sexualized, though not in the most obvious ways. ****/*

jakncoke

Banned
56 Up was added to instant watch so I just had to view this, man to see how all those little kids from 7 up have grown through the years is crazy. It would be quite interesting to me if this was started at the same time in other other regions of the world. Like a USA version, somewhere in a asian, australia? russia? i dunno, although the shortness of the film constricts how deep it can be and neuters the potential of the deepness I still have found the entire series very fascinating

Shagwell

Just watched The Five-Year Engagement with this girl and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I expected it to be a really corny chick flick but it was actually pretty funny and had me laughing out loud throughout. Definitely a good date-movie I reckon.

Disclaimer: I was really high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom