• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindyMan

happybowser.jpg

Firestorm

ShockingAlberto said:
This is a new, completely never before heard of idea.

It is? But I and many others have been saying this for over a year! You need to pay more attention if you think it's new >=o

Zeed

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
It just occurred to me - there's only one character that we know of that still doesn't have a page (Meta Knight).

I'm predicting him as being the next update.
Snake and Zero Suit Samus get no love?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
There will only be 1 Smash Ball per match is how I interpret it. 1 per character doesn't make sense. If I can get to it first it should be mine to use even if I did a Final Smash already. If the game denies the usage of Smash Ball on your second try than its basically free kills for your opponent.

So Smash Ball can appear once per match, or not at all. Its a rare item. Whoever gets to it first can use it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
superbank said:
There will only be 1 Smash Ball per match is how I interpret it. 1 per character doesn't make sense. If I can get to it first it should be mine to use even if I did a Final Smash already. If the game denies the usage of Smash Ball on your second try than its basically free kills for your opponent.

So Smash Ball can appear once per match, or not at all. Its a rare item. Whoever gets to it first can use it.
unless you could throw it off the stage and simply not be able to activate it if you have already used it.

scola said:
unless you could throw it off the stage and simply not be able to activate it if you have already used it.

Pretty sure you can't actually carry it around. It seems like something you just 'touch' like a Starman.

NeonZ

Zero Suit Samus will probably be the result of Samus' Final Smash, so it'll be a character update, not a new character section.

And Solid Snake doesn't count!

Not really. Sheik was considered a separate character in the melee official site. I suppose you could argue that they did that because they were hiding Zelda's existence, but that doesn't explain the separate trophies, win poses and such things in-game.

If the game denies the usage of Smash Ball on your second try than its basically free kills for your opponent.

If it allows the same person to use it twice then it'll be giving free kills to someone. If you have already used it once, I don't see what is there to complain about. Even if a player can't get it again, he could try to guard its location until it disappears, like very other item which isn't grabbed by anyone.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Zero Suit Samus will probably be the result of Samus' Final Smash, so it'll be a character update, not a new character section.

Holy crap assumptions!

zssamus.jpg

Having two different versions of Samus as two different selectable characters makes perfect sense, why think otherwise?

By your logic, Doctor Mario wouldnt have been his own character either, but rather Mario making a special move, thus transforming into the Doctor, right?

superbank

WindyMan said:

More like:

garfeildbowser.jpg

scola said:

I think its more likely it will just appear once instead.

NeonZ said:
If it allows the same person to use it twice then it'll be giving free kills to someone.

Yes. Thats why it will only appear once.

Zeed

Banned
Zero Suit Samus will probably be the result of Samus' Final Smash, so it'll be a character update, not a new character section!
This discussion has been done to death, but I'm of the position that even if Samus' Final Smash turns her into ZSS, there's no way that's going to be the only way to turn into ZSS. Thus far she's been treated as her own character (in the trailer, on the last website), and there are a few discrepancies in the old trailer that make me wary about jumping to too many conclusions here.

Also this doesn't account for your Snake omission.

NeonZ

superbank said:
I think its more likely it will just appear once instead.

If that was the case, why didn't he say that the Smash Ball only appeared once? The 'only once' description was talking about the Final Smash, not the Smash Ball. Of course, with only one Smash ball in a match, you'd have a single Final Smash in that match, but, if that was correct, that would be a really indirect way to describe it.

Raging Spaniard said:
Holy crap assumptions!

zssamus.jpg

Having two different versions of Samus as two different selectable characters makes perfect sense, why think otherwise?

By your logic, Doctor Mario wouldnt have been his own character either, but rather Mario making a special move, thus transforming into the Doctor, right?

...Dr. Mario was a clone added at the very last minute for the purpose of adding to the character roster.

Also, we SEE Samus lose her suit. Why the Hell would they put that into the trailer if there won't be transformation involved?

Zeed

Banned
...Dr. Mario was a clone added at the very last minute for the purpose of adding to the character roster.

Also, we SEE Samus lose her suit. Why the Hell would they put that into the trailer if there won't be transformation involved?
Ah, but that scene is separate from the Final Smash scenes, and what's more, Samus does not glow orange like all the other characters do when they perform their Final Smashes. Now, the blast she fires is ridiculously huge, so it may very well be her Final Smash, but assuming that it is contradicts what we know about Final Smashes, so it's not a reasonable conclusion to jump to just yet.

What's more, like I said, even if her Final Smash causes her to transform, that doesn't mean that there's no other way to transform into her. Remember, Zelda and Shiek were considered their own characters, and I see no reason to prematurely declare that ZSS should not be considered her own character as well.

I'm confident that we'll eventually be graced with a ZSS character profile, and I'm fully prepared to eat crow if it doesn't happen.

superbank

NeonZ said:
If that was the case, why didn't he say that the Smash Ball only appeared once? The 'only once' description was talking about the Final Smash, not the Smash Ball. Of course, with only one Smash ball, you'd have a single Final Smash, but, if that was correct, that would be a really indirect way to describe it.

Scenario 1: Smash ball is super rare and may not even appear after 3 matches. When it appears you better run as fast as you can to get to it! It is very rewarding to use your Final Smash.

Scenario 2: Smash Ball appears 4 times during a match if you have 4 players. Run quickly to grab it first! You've performed your final smash, lots of kills! Haha. Another smash ball appears. Defend, DEFEND! You cant let your opponents use it! Successfully defended. Now lets get back to fighting. Oh Shi- another smash ball?! Defend it with your life! You don't want to be killed!... MOTHER**** another one! AUUUGH this is annoying!

going by that logic every battle with snake will have a codec conversation with the colonel before it starts, since that's how it was in the trailer

..pakbeka.. said:
going by that logic every battle with snake will have a codec conversation with the colonel before it starts, since that's how it was in the trailer

And by my logic, Zero Suit Samus would be nothing more than a modified version of Samus.

Dr. Mario = same moves, different physiques

Two different Samuses = different moves, different physiques.

At no point are they the same.

Sharp

And by my logic, Zero Suit Samus would be nothing more than a modified version of Samus.

So your argument is that the two characters are so different that Zero Suit Samus couldn't possibly be her own character? I, um, can't quite wrap my head around that logic.

Zeed

Banned

Your argument is confusing to say the least, but going back to what we're actually arguing over, for whatever reason you seem to think that ZSS won't be added as her own character entry. I disagree. I'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong - are you?

NeonZ

Scenario 1: Smash ball is super rare and may not even appear after 3 matches. When it appears you better run as fast as you can to get to it! It is very rewarding to use your Final Smash.

In a long match, though, it would become just irrelevant, even more so considering how they aren't automatic hits. Then, there's also the huge advantage characters with better movement would have compared to the slower ones.

Scenario 2: Smash Ball appears 4 times during a match if you have 4 players. Run quickly to grab it first! You've performed your final smash, lots of kills! Haha. Another smash ball appears. Defend, DEFEND! You cant let your opponents use it! Successfully defended. Now lets get back to fighting. Oh Shi- another smash ball?! Defend it with your life! You don't want to be killed!... MOTHER**** another one! AUUUGH this is annoying!

See? That adds elements of skill, tension and balance for every character. It definitely sounds like the better idea.

Somnid

For the Final Smash it sounds like each character can use one once and after that it doesn't work. Kinda like using healing items at full health you can absorb it so others can't get it but you won't be able to make use of it. It can drop an unlimited number of times too but with low probablility and once everyone's used one it becomes useless.

Regardless, it'll probably be a user setting anyway. I'd be willing to bet you can go into options and set the number of Smash balls/usages and what-not.

farnham

Banned
how about this..

Samus uses her supersmash which is that super mega blaster that we saw in the trailer..

then she looses half of her power and turns into zero suit samus

zero suit samus is really vulnerable to smash attacks.. and so on

My argument is how the Hell is Dr. Mario's existence showing that Zero Suit Samus could exist separately? Dr. Mario was created at the last minute and has a similar moveset. Zero Suit Samus would have to be a unique character to Samus. They are similar situations under no circumstances.

Seriously, SSB fans, ever consider taking a step back and looking at your posts and realizing that you're getting offended over someone's speculation of SSBB?

Video game, reality, look them up - one is a bit less important.

I gave my observation, and it became a debate because a handful of people decided that it was worth fighting over. Yeah.

Somnid

My argument is how the Hell is Dr. Mario's existence showing that Zero Suit Samus could exist separately? Dr. Mario was created at the last minute and has a similar moveset. Zero Suit Samus would have to be a unique character to Samus. They are similar situations under no circumstances.

Seriously, SSB fans, ever consider taking a step back and looking at your posts and realizing that you're getting offended over someone's speculation of SSBB?

Video game, reality, look them up - one is a bit less important.

I gave my observation, and it became a debate because a handful of people decided that it was worth fighting over. Yeah.

You have to realize that some of these people are absolutely insane. They travel the country to compete in fan-made tournaments, they spend hundreds of hours trying to shave miliseconds off of their time in a mini-game. They've spent the last 6 years playing Smash developing stategies, and playing tens of thousands of matches. To them Smash is their reality.

You just have to recognize that you can't make logical headway against some, just forget it and move on. Once the game comes out then all this becomes pointless and forgotten.

ShinNL

Maybe you can turn into Zero Suit Samus by overcharging your power beam as regular Samus.

1. To wait for a smash ball to play as Zero Suit Samus is kind of silly.
2. Selecting Zero Suit Samus is kind of silly because that defeats the -zero suit, armor breaking down- effect.
3. I think there's only 1 smash ball per match in regular games. Custom games however...
- My reasoning behind this is ... running through a smash ball seems stupid (only picking up once)
- Taking a smash ball but not using it seems also stupid
- Using it multiple times seems to be impossible.

Secret nr.
4. Maybe it's 1 smash ball per life. If the original user dies, there's a chance for it to drop again. That way you can always get it multiple times.
6. Then again, you don't want the game turn too much into Mario Kart, where items determine everything. Some luck is nice, but not too much.

I think this board is in desperate need of a parser that turns "will probably" and "probably will" to "HOLY CRAP GUYS IM TALKING OUT OF MY ASS!@!" with giant red text and fireworks.

Also maybe just a SSB specific one that automatically converts any post with speculation about stuff that hasn't been 400% confirmed into a dinosaur comic. Especially ones making some half assed appeal to "logic".

Son of Godzilla said:
I think this board is in desperate need of a parser that turns "will probably" and "probably will" to "HOLY CRAP GUYS IM TALKING OUT OF MY ASS!@!" with giant red text and fireworks.

Also maybe just a SSB specific one that automatically converts any post with speculation about stuff that hasn't been 400% confirmed into a dinosaur comic. Especially ones making some half assed appeal to "logic".

This post uses half-assed logic.

What the Hell is the point of this post other than to ramble on about your SSB fandom?

farnham

Banned
Soneet said:
Maybe you can turn into Zero Suit Samus by overcharging your power beam as regular Samus.

1. To wait for a smash ball to play as Zero Suit Samus is kind of silly.
2. Selecting Zero Suit Samus is kind of silly because that defeats the -zero suit, armor breaking down- effect.
3. I think there's only 1 smash ball per match in regular games. Custom games however...
- My reasoning behind this is ... running through a smash ball seems stupid (only picking up once)
- Taking a smash ball but not using it seems also stupid
- Using it multiple times seems to be impossible.

Secret nr.
4. Maybe it's 1 smash ball per life. If the original user dies, there's a chance for it to drop again. That way you can always get it multiple times.
6. Then again, you don't want the game turn too much into Mario Kart, where items determine everything. Some luck is nice, but not too much.
nu uh... this would mean that everybody wants to get in 8th place since you get the best items...

which is not really true

Zeed

Banned
Somnid said:
You have to realize that some of these people are absolutely insane...To them Smash is their reality.

You just have to recognize that you can't make logical headway against some, just forget it and move on.
Why don't you name some names, because the straw man shit is getting old.

Filter

I think it's more likely, seeing that the smash ball is supposedly a very rare item that you will be lucky to see it show up once in every ten matches. multiple times in a match would drastically reduce the wow factor.

superbank

NeonZ said:
In a long match, though, it would become just irrelevant, even more so considering how they aren't automatic hits. Then, there's also the huge advantage characters with better movement would have compared to the slower ones.

They would be as irrelevant as a Hammer. Faster>Slower applies to all items. Why should the Smash Ball be different? It will appear in a random place and whoever gets there first gets it.

NeonZ said:
See? That adds elements of skill, tension and balance for every character. It definitely sounds like the better idea.

... No. That changes the game into "Defend This Position!" Instead of "Free-For-All Fight". There is no item in Smash Bros where you have to defend it and you cannot move it or use it. If you want a Defend Mode maybe they could make it a Special Melee category.

Somnid said:
For the Final Smash it sounds like each character can use one once and after that it doesn't work. Kinda like using healing items at full health you can absorb it so others can't get it but you won't be able to make use of it. It can drop an unlimited number of times too but with low probablility and once everyone's used one it becomes useless.

Regardless, it'll probably be a user setting anyway. I'd be willing to bet you can go into options and set the number of Smash balls/usages and what-not.

That sounds like a good idea too. The biggest issue is the drop rate. It need to appear very rarely to turn it into something you want above all else. Maybe 1 or 2 every 30 minutes or something.

Jasup

Filter said:
I think it's more likely, seeing that the smash ball is supposedly a very rare item that you will be lucky to see it show up once in every ten matches. multiple times in a match would drastically reduce the wow factor.

Agreed.

Now, before I go to bed I'll say that next update will be a stage.
There are two stages we've seen regularly, but have no info about - either one of those will be there when I wake up.

Zeed

Banned
Zeed.

There's one.
Alright, since you've graduated from simply not making sense to just being a jackass, let's go over what you're accusing me of.

They travel the country to compete in fan-made tournaments
Oh shit, I compete in fan-made tournaments? This is news to me - I'm not good enough at this game to even beat my friends. As a matter of fact, I've never been to any SSBM tournaments in my life. GTFO!

they spend hundreds of hours trying to shave miliseconds off of their time in a mini-game.
Considering that I only play SSBM when friends are over, I can't say that I recall ever spending "hundreds of hours trying to shave miliseconds off of" my time with them. What is this even referring to? The stupid target breaking minigame?

They've spent the last 6 years playing Smash developing stategies
I can't even wave-dash (I don't even really know what it is!), nor do I ever intend to learn how.

I still play the game occasionally, with items on and with random stages, and I have a shitload of fun with my buddies. That's why I'm looking forward to SSBB, and that's why I'm here. Now what you're trying to do is label me as someone for whom "Smash is their life", simply because I'm doing the same exact thing you are and have been doing - discussing SSBB on GAF.

Newsflash - you are a 20 year old with nearly 3,500 posts on an online gaming forum that you have been a member of for two years. You're not any less of a nerd than anyone in this thread. If you think arguing about SSBB is so stupid, here's an idea - get down off your high horse and stop doing it.

Firestorm

Somnid said:
You have to realize that some of these people are absolutely insane. They travel the country to compete in fan-made tournaments, they spend hundreds of hours trying to shave miliseconds off of their time in a mini-game. They've spent the last 6 years playing Smash developing stategies, and playing tens of thousands of matches. To them Smash is their reality.

You just have to recognize that you can't make logical headway against some, just forget it and move on. Once the game comes out then all this becomes pointless and forgotten.

Wait... so you would hate travelling across the country/continent and meeting other people who share your interest while kicking back and playing your favourite game? Shit man, I'd love that =o Some of my friends do it and they make the money they spent on plane tickets back from their tournament winnings!

And I'm pretty sure Smash isn't their reality ;) Don't bash people you don't know.

Also, what the hell people. FINAL SMASH IS AN ITEM. If you're playing to determine skill, you'll probably have it off anyway. If Smash is "supposed to be about crazy shit chaos" why is everyone complaining? It's probably not going to appear much anyway. I can't wait to try it out :D

NeonZ

They would be as irrelevant as a Hammer. Faster>Slower applies to all items. Why should the Smash Ball be different?

Because you seem to believe that it'll only appear once, unlike the Hammer or any other item. Even a hammer user can be knocked around and lose his item, but that isn't true for the Smash Ball. Even if the attack can be avoided, the character won't spit out the ball or anything.

... No. That changes the game into "Defend This Position!" Instead of "Free-For-All Fight". There is no item in Smash Bros where you have to defend it and you cannot move it or use it. If you want a Defend Mode maybe they could make it a Special Melee category.

Not really, considering how that would only happen a few times through the match. Random items aren't said to turn the game into a foot race.

In any case, you still haven't said anything about how your interpretation makes sense considering the wording of the original article. Arguing our preferences is rather wasteful in a situation like this, considering how we're trying to speculate about the game.

Somnid

Zeed said:
Why don't you name some names, because the straw man shit is getting old.

Obviousy, I do have a few in mind, but I know where this is going. I'm not going to derail this thread into some sort of witch-hunt. I'll end this right here, and I'm not going to pick it up again. I'm just warning that some posts need to be selectively acknowldged because many users in here insist on making mountains out of mole hills and will overthink the hell out of just about everything, getting into silly debates over hair-color and the meaning of the word "cancel."

And perhaps my last post was mis-phrased. I don't mean "logical headway" in the sense "my speculation is right and yours is wrong" but rather, "This is doesn't have enough substance to make an argument over." People can pray and wish and speculate whatever they want. As stated above the problem is some people are digging too deep and expecting complete consistancy in a work-in-progress and then getting mad when they're called on it.

Zeed

Banned
Somnid said:
Obviousy, I do have a few in mind, but I know where this is going. I'm not going to derail this thread into some sort of witch-hunt. I'll end this right here, and I'm not going to pick it up again. I'm just warning that some posts need to be selectively acknowldged because many users in here insist on making mountains out of mole hills and will overthink the hell out of just about everything, getting into silly debates over hair-color and the meaning of the word "cancel."
I find it interesting then, that you found Snitch's arguments (or at least his resulting outburst after being told he was wrong) worthy of support, at the same time that you accuse unnamed, nebulous posters of "making mountains out of mole hills".

Next time if you want to come across as an aloof and enlightened third party, it'd be a lot more convincing if you didn't pick a side. That makes you no better than the posters you criticize - you just feed the flames.

superbank

NeonZ said:
In any case, you still haven't said anything about how your interpretation makes sense considering the wording of the original article. Arguing our preferences is rather wasteful in a situation like this, considering how we're trying to speculate about the game.

The words aren't how I remembered them.

My interpretation of the item is that it will drop infrequently in a random position. If a second one does drop you can still do something with it. There will be no Defend The Smash Ball Till It Disappears sub-game.

Zeed said:
Alright, since you've graduated from simply not making sense to just being a jackass, let's go over what you're accusing me of.

Oh shit, I compete in fan-made tournaments? This is news to me - I'm not good enough at this game to even beat my friends. As a matter of fact, I've never been to any SSBM tournaments in my life. GTFO!

Considering that I only play SSBM when friends are over, I can't say that I recall ever spending "hundreds of hours trying to shave miliseconds off of" my time with them. What is this even referring to? The stupid target breaking minigame?

I can't even wave-dash (I don't even really know what it is!), nor do I ever intend to learn how.

I still play the game occasionally, with items on and with random stages, and I have a shitload of fun with my buddies. That's why I'm looking forward to SSBB, and that's why I'm here. Now what you're trying to do is label me as someone for whom "Smash is their life", simply because I'm doing the same exact thing you are and have been doing - discussing SSBB on GAF.

Newsflash - you are a 20 year old with nearly 3,500 posts on an online gaming forum that you have been a member of for two years. You're not any less of a nerd than anyone in this thread. If you think arguing about SSBB is so stupid, here's an idea - get down off your high horse and stop doing it.

Does it look like I care?

Arguing about SSBB =/= what you're doing. You're creating an argument for no reason other than to argue.

PLEASE, for the love of God, go find a reality and get a grasp on it. Stop unnecessarily being confrontational.

I'm looking at the three big debates I know of - The Sheik one was stupid and unnecessary and long and FULL of speculation, the second one was people objecting to my saying "Wario's moveset is shit", because that is such an important thing to fight over, and then this one - where I say what I think Zero Suit Samus would be and people for some strange, incomprehensible reason takes offense. If I demanded that everyone agreed with me I'd concede that taking offense is the right direction. However, I never stated it as anything but what I thought it would be. Hell, it's mostly the other side that is speculating that what I thought it would be shouldn't, couldn't, and wouldn't be.

Talking about high horse when it was the other side that turned this into a "my speculation is right and yours is wrong!" argument.

Zeed

Banned
Does it look like I care?
Actually, considering just how much you were bitching on the last page, yes.

Arguing about SSBB =/= what you're doing. You're creating an argument for no reason other than to argue.
I'm not getting into a "You started it!" exchange with you, but you've undeniably been a willing participant in that same argument right up until the point where you realized that no one agreed with you and that you looked silly. At which point you started resorting to shit like this:

PLEASE, for the love of God, go find a reality and get a grasp on it. Stop unnecessarily being confrontational.
Aside from your apparent perception that there are multiple realities (that's some heavy shit, man), you seem to present yourself as more in touch with "a reality". By the very virtue of being on this forum, in this thread, and arguing with me, you clearly are not.

And I'll say it again, if you dislike being confrontational, all you have to do is just drop the internet arguments and walk away from the keyboard. But I think we both know that you won't do that. You can't do that. You wouldn't have 3,500 posts if you could.

Zeed said:
I'm not getting into a "You started it!" exchange with you, but you've undeniably been a willing participant in that same argument right up until the point where you realized that no one agreed with you and that you looked silly. At which point you started resorting to shit like this:

Well, let's see:

I presented my speculation of what is going to be.

People become offended because they don't like the notion.

People becoming offended over me having a differing opinion =/= people disagreeing with me.

Get a grasp on reality because you're making a big deal out of a minor situation. I presented speculation - and people become upset over it for some inexplicable reason. That's a pretty bad grasp on reality.

And I'm sorry, but the notion that the people who disagreed with me weren't the ones who made this into a mole hill is absurd. Generally, the party which causes a simple piece of speculation to turn into an argument for no reason other than they became offended for some strange reason is responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom