• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, did I just get called out by Microsoft's JEFF BELL?!

rubso said:
Unfortunately, we don't know Peter Moore's nickname in NeoGAF. >.<
And this is a good thing. We've known that he's read NeoGAF for at least 3 years. Unless a user opts to use their real name (Jaffe, Dyack, Pachter), as a fellow user, we should always respect their privacy. Of course, this all goes to shit when someone on the admin staff reveals an identity of a user, which seems to be the case here. I will go ahead and apologize on behalf of the staff here.

Unless Peter Moore starts shilling every EA Sports game (and you'll know when a user is excited about EA Rugby), I don't think we'll be outing him.

fernoca

CrushDance said:
You know you used that same line on me after you went:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Look Crush I can post smiley's only to
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GTFO. That day I was in a bad mood so I thought I was reading you wrong man, why you have to play me like that? I thought us Nintendo fans were supposed to be blood brothers? why you tripping all out on me?
You know you're special to me... :D

eXxy said:
Outside of the fact that you guys have suddenly lost your sense of humor, this is a perfectly legitimate news story. A high ranking Microsoft executive it spending his time bizarrely responding to message board posts heckling his performance -- for all the focus Microsoft puts on its community, this is how their upper level employees embrace it? Sorry I spoiled the GAF secret -- as if everyone wasn't already linking here to begin with!

C'mon. I love 1UP, but I think the sooner you stop defending this, the better. Let it go, chalk it up to a mistake, etc. It's a bit silly, what you've written here, no? I'm all for busting people, but this is a non-issue, so stop trying to make it one.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
KevinRo said:
It made everyone on this forum laugh and brought some e-cred to Bell. It was hardly news worthy of being on a arguably well respected gaming-site.

Uh....

Mojovonio

Banned
God people.

Most people saw Jeff Bell as a robotic and souless salesman.

This confirms that he's a badass. I personally have much more respect for him now that he's calling people out on GAF.

joezombie

Industry big wigs probably SHOULDN'T post at GAF or anywhere else if all they plan on doing is randomly dropping hit-and-run insults

If Bell had posted something along the lines of 'I've noticed a lot of criticism about our E3. Here's what we were trying to do...' or 'Hey i like Halo, what about you guys', nothing negative would've come of it. But a mindless flame like that isn't going to end well

psychodoodle said:
Really! what a bunch of thin skinned nerds. Remeber his paycheck people, and then keep feeling sorry for him if you must, maybe even go wash his porsche for free or something.

"The joke's on him. Wait'll he sees the subpar job I do on this hubcap."

The Simpsons Movie, In Theaters Everywhere July 27th.

Phthisis

eXxy said:
Outside of the fact that you guys have suddenly lost your sense of humor, this is a perfectly legitimate news story. A high ranking Microsoft executive it spending his time bizarrely responding to message board posts heckling his performance -- for all the focus Microsoft puts on its community, this is how their upper level employees embrace it? Sorry I spoiled the GAF secret -- as if everyone wasn't already linking here to begin with!

As you're getting paid to do this job and I'm not, I don't really have any room to say what you should and shouldn't be reporting on as you seem to have done something right to get your position.

But there aren't any more interesting or compelling stories you could be working on? Honestly?

DarienA

I am amazed at the amount of shit 1up is catching for this it's hilarious... absolutely hilarious....

Blader5489 said:
The point is that this kind of thing can and will scare off industry bigwigs from GAF. Bell isn't going to lose his job over insulting Master Ninja, but people like Bell are going to be far less inclined to join/post here if anything they say is going to come under the scrutiny of desperate journalists.

You act as though these industry bigwigs have the internet experience equivalent of your grandmother.

Bell knew what he was doing.

Mojovonio

Banned
WasabiKing said:
And this is a good thing. We've known that he's read NeoGAF for at least 3 years. Unless a user opts to use their real name (Jaffe, Dyack, Pachter), as a fellow user, we should always respect their privacy. Of course, this all goes to shit when someone on the admin staff reveals an identity of a user, which seems to be the case here. I will go ahead and apologize on behalf of the staff here.

Unless Peter Moore starts shilling every EA Sports game (and you'll know when a user is excited about EA Rugby), I don't think we'll be outing him.

So the reveal w as a mistake?

I wonder if he'll keep his username or get a new one.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Phthisis said:
As you're getting paid to do this job and I'm not, I don't really have any room to say what you should and shouldn't be reporting on as you seem to have done something right to get your position.

But there aren't any more interesting or compelling stories you could be working on? Honestly?

It's part of is job to be on GAF defending a news article he made?

Baryn

Banned
joezombie said:
Industry big wigs probably SHOULDN'T post at GAF or anywhere else if all they plan on doing is randomly dropping hit-and-run insults

If Bell had posted something along the lines of 'I've noticed a lot of criticism about our E3. Here's what we were trying to do...' or 'Hey i like Halo, what about you guys', nothing negative would've come of it. But a mindless flame like that isn't going to end well
Good rule of thumb for EVERYONE here.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Visualante said:
He doesn't want human resources dept. on his case.
:lol true...he is a smart bearded man isnt he?.....ah the good old days....when 1up news was actually good.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Phthisis said:

Everyone has room to say on what I should and shouldn't be reporting on -- that's the point of feedback. It's not like I sit here and everything goes in one ear and out the other. I want to cover what people want to read about.

And, yes, there are more important stories to be worked on. And I'm working on them. This just seemed good for a laugh and will be pulled from the top story when I have my next one ready to replace it in a few minutes. Still, I won't apologize for it -- I still think it's incredibly bad form on Microsoft's part and reflects badly on their community focus.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What's the big deal here?

OMG SOMEBODY CHALLENGED MY WORTH TO SOCIETY! EXCUSE ME WHILE I CRY IN MY PITY CORNER

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
4u3dtsn.jpg

Why don't you publish a news story about Microsoft's DRM and how messed up it is, I'd find that more interesting. The fact they have ignored their customers since day once about it and it's a growing problem with the introduction of the Elites and the ongoing systems breaking down. Look into that :p

joezombie said:

Eh? I think it's going down pretty well in Bell's favor. I personally didn't think much of the guy before now. Anyone that high up who monitors the community and personally calls out a member of it is A-OK in my book.

WasabiKing said:

Yeah, I wouldn't like for this to become a habit. There are some of us who would like to keep our industry affiliations hidden (or as hidden as possible) so we can actually talk about games, talk about how much so-and-so company sucks, and LOL at the cat pictures.

Not saying that's me, but I'm sure some people like that anonymity.

Also: Respect for Jeff Bell +10. Hey, it's fun to flame sometimes.

And respect for Master Ninja +10 too: We would've never had this great threat! :)

DarienA

Paranoid_Robot said:
Why don't you publish a news story about Microsoft's DRM and how messed up it is, I'd find that more interesting. The fact they have ignored their customers since day once about it and it's a growing problem with the introduction of the Elites and the ongoing systems breaking down. Look into that :p

Maybe you should get a job with a videogame site so you can do it.

but the reveal was too obvious considering thats what the thread was about... it wasn't a thread about MS and suddenly we see Bell801 online. he PMed Ninja and Ninja asked if that is JBell. GAFers looked and found out that he has used 801 before, and he is a junior member, thus coming to a conclusion that it is him. Mod just gave a nod to that conclusion.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
WasabiKing said:

"Bell801" is using his real name, isn't it?

scarybore

WasabiKing said:
Of course, this all goes to shit when someone on the admin staff reveals an identity of a user, which seems to be the case here. I will go ahead and apologize on behalf of the staff here.

I was wondering about that, I think it would probably be against the law to do so here in the UK (not that I know much about such things or quite how this incident came about from a mod/admin perspective).

One hell of a thread though :D

eXxy said:
No matter what way you're wording it, this isn't news. :lol

Okay when Hitokage enters a thread you know you best be running.

*runs*

Tobor said:
Still a lot of sand up in there. We're going to need a bigger hose.
:lol Man forget this. This thread is now officially "Want to talk big? You disappear!"

RumFore

Banned
Gosh I hate that raggedy head bitch Patrick. Such an annoying woman. Listen to him on podcasts or see him in videos and you just want strangle him. Now he is blowing this up bigger than it all is. He didn't even read the post of many that got a good laugh out of it and respected the fact MS seems intune with the community.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
BenjaminBirdie said:
I never would have known he likes Roxy Music! He's rad now!

I know....just from looking at him i would have thought S Club 7.

Lets see if he PM's me!

eXxy said:

Dude. Go outside.

RumpledForeskin said:
Gosh I hate that raggedy head bitch Patrick. Such an annoying woman. Listen to him on podcasts or see him in videos and you just want strangle him. Now he is blowing this up bigger than it all is. He didn't even read the post of many that got a good laugh out of it and respected the fact MS seems intune with the community.

Someone's fishing for a celebrity PM of their own....

:lol

eXxy said:

I can't believe you're making this big of an issue out of this... WOW.

thefro

When you use your last name as your username, you're not going to be very anonymous. :lol

*edit* not to mention you use the same "801" as your gamertag that you've explained in an interview.

Phthisis

DarienA said:
Maybe you should get a job with a videogame site so you can do it.

Well if they'd start hiring real journalists rather than gamers (not calling anybody out or referring to anybody specifically), maybe he would.

I didn't go to school for four years and get a degree in journalism so I could be turned down by companies who would rather hire paparazzi to report on what Jeff Bell is doing on the internet.

What I wouldn't give to take over for an IGN or 1UP editor for just 2 weeks. I would turn that shit around so fast with quality stories that are both interesting and important, your heads would spin.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
executives acting weird on the internet is definitely news -- i'm sure a lot of you have caught that story about a whole foods executive trolling the stock of a competitor on some message board. this story obviously isn't as big -- that was a potential ethics violation, this is just comedy. but it makes perfect sense for exxy to write it up. and come on, bell won't face any consequences beyond a little office ribbing.

but i kind of feel for him now -- he likes roxy music, probably fancies himself a cool guy, may even be a cool guy...and now he's known as one of those white guys who starts talking jive when he sees black people.

SantaC

Ezenzer said:
Eh? I think it's going down pretty well in Bell's favor. I personally didn't think much of the guy before now. Anyone that high up who monitors the community and personally calls out a member of it is A-OK in my book.

being famous with the gaf community is going down well? :lol

honestly i dont think he gives a shit

Top Bottom