• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
Sanzaru is missing from that list.

what's his name...insider on gaf. Verendus or something like that said they are working on another Sly game.

Not enough information that's why. If you can provide a link of the dev hinting they are making a game then I will include it. Or job postings leaks and etc. If I put in random rumours in the OP, the OP would be a mess.

Globox_82

Banned
Not enough information that's why. If you can provide a link of the dev hinting they are making a game then I will include it. Or job postings leaks and etc. If I put in random rumours in the OP, the OP would be a mess.

I said we're getting another Sly game; didn't say who was making it.

Job posting from 12 days ago

"PS3, Vita or DX9+ GPU and CPU experience and the use of profiling tools to measure game performance, identify bottlenecks and resolve them"
http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobs/2359...nzaru-Games-Inc--Foster-City-CA-United-States
Something for Sony for sure. I doubt Sony is going to give Sly to another developer when they did a fine job, have the engine, tools and can make another one much faster.

KAL2006

Banned
Job posting from 12 days ago

"PS3, Vita or DX9+ GPU and CPU experience and the use of profiling tools to measure game performance, identify bottlenecks and resolve them"
http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobs/2359...nzaru-Games-Inc--Foster-City-CA-United-States
Something for Sony for sure. I doubt Sony is going to give Sly to another developer when they did a fine job, have the engine, tools and can make another one much faster.

That's good enough for me though it seems they are making PS3/Vita game and not PS4. I'll put them on the second list.

Does anyone know whats going on with Sony London. They are probably one of Sony's biggest Studios, I was hoping they were making a hardcore game, but it seems they are dedicated to R&D and casual games.

Mostly R&D these days, even their casual output has dropped off. SEN Europe is based out of the same office so a lot of the network stuff happens at SCE London now. The PC store was made there for example and a lot of the backend integration for interoperable network services happen in London now as well.

I hope they get to make a game for PS4, but I'm not sure they will be able to, network services are an even more important going into next gen.

Verendus

Banned
I have missed your rumour list can you post it please, or if Verendus doesn't see this, an someone else.
Sure; the only things I remember putting out in the open which are yet to be confirmed or announced:

- Another Sly game will happen
- 'Demon's Souls 2' in development
- 2 JRPGs and 1 WRPG from SCE
- GT PS4 by March 2015
- PS4 'this year' in Japan
- The Last Guardian on PS4
- A non-KH3 Kingdom Hearts game for the PS4 in 2014 (I will have some form of confirmation on this soon)
- FF16 to be announced between 2014-2015
- 2 Sega exclusives in development

All of the above should be out in the open inside the next 2 years. I don't remember saying anything else. At least, I don't think I have.

Edit:

Yes, I have, but I didn't name any developers so pointless to include in the above list which is a bit more specific.

KAL2006

Banned
Sure; the only things I remember putting out in the open which are yet to be confirmed or announced:

Released for PS3/Vita by Sanzaru

For Vita by Sony Japan, I expect Dark Souls 2 to be ported to PS4

1 JRPG already announced (Freedom Wars for Vita), the other JRPG is a budget tite for PS4, and the WRPG is Guerilla Games new IP

- GT PS4 by March 2015
Will be just GT6 Port for PS4 with more features and content

Doesn't make sense as the launch line up is weak for Japan, unless we have surprises in Gamescom or TGS

I think this is far off, perhaps a re-reveal next E3

- A non-KH3 Kingdom Hearts game for the PS4 in 2014 (I will have some form of confirmation on this soon)

Vita or PS4?

All of the above should be out in the open inside the next 2 years. I don't remember saying anything else. At least, I don't think I have.

Edit:

Yes, I have, but I didn't name any developers so pointless to include in the above list which is a bit more specific.

added in what I think

- GT PS4 by March 2015

Edit:

hum 2 sega excusives i hope one for vita and another one for ps4

well coming out of E3 Sony showed the strongest line up out of Microsoft and Sony titan fall did nothing for me and ryse felt to much like god of war rip of with the game play video to me not a racing person and killer instinct looked eh ok and who knows what the halo spot was about but probably halo 5 but other then that Sony was and is much stronger from infamous second son (can't wait for that btw) killzone shadow fall and even knack looks like a great game and puppeteer if done right will be a great game as well but over all i see Sony has a leg up with first party games and a strong third party line up but i say we have to wait to see what these 15 new first party games 8 being new ip's from Microsoft

trmas

Banned
Sony hasn't shown their hand yet for the first year, as many of their developers are pumping out PS3 games... you will see some really great stuff for PS4 in the next few months if history is anything to go by.

On the other hand, MS has shown some good games, but few of them are internally developed, and MS has shown little commitment to anything besides Halo, and Forza internally. Rare is essentially dead, Remedy isn't first party, and I have seen TitanFall - also not a MS first party.

A gamer can buy PS4 knowing that Sony will provide excellent exclusives for the life of the console. The same cannot be said for MS, who simply doesn't take chances and just tries to pump out guaranteed sellers.

Agree that N > Sony >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MS. But MS will just throw more money for timed exclusives outside the company rather than take the risk of making their own internal environment.

So, Sony is pushing out an impressive 1st party LineUp right now, at the end of the Ps3s main life cycle.
So you think this is a good idea because people now see that Sony has impressive 1st Party support and therefore are more likely to buy a Ps4.
Or do you think it would have been better to use those ressources for Ps4?

BigDug13

So, Sony is pushing out an impressive 1st party LineUp right now, at the end of the Ps3s main life cycle.
So you think this is a good idea because people now see that Sony has impressive 1st Party support and therefore are more likely to buy a Ps4.
Or do you think it would have been better to use those ressources for Ps4?

I think it's a good idea to not abandon your 77 million console owners a year or two before your next console releases like MS seems to do with their first party studios. It has nothing to do with suddenly showing people you have impressive 1st party support so they buy your next console. It's only about supporting the people who already bought your shit.

Are there still people who don't know that Sony has great 1st party support that somehow have to be "convinced"?

trmas

Banned
I think Sony should have pushed more to the PS4, but I also know they always do this. PSX, and PS2 were supported with great software for their entire life cycle. I loved the beginning of the XBox, and 360, but regretted both purchases after a couple of years. MS always seems to start off strong, then shift away from taking chances within a year or two.

I'm not buying a XB1 because I've seen how they work now. PS4 will have 85% or more of the same games given MS lack of first party prowess, and I can wait out a "timed" exclusive. Especially when Sony's first party is pumping out stellar title after stellar title.

I really only buy AAA games, and sleeper hits I read about on message boards like this - just don't have the time for others. Over 50% of my games are from Sony first party.

Also, the PS4 will be my last console. Kids are graduating high school next year and I have to move on with my life.

KAL2006

Banned
Microsoft owns the ips for Quantum Break, State of Decay, and Forza Horizon (for under the "Third Party Contracted Section").

Added

For people thinking why I always separate these things. Is because say with Dead Rising, Capcom can make Dead Rising 3 Sigma or Dead Rising 4 multiplatform, where as Forza Horizon will always be on Xbox. The reason I always have to state it's a 3rd party, is because a company like inSomniac or Ready at Dawn or Capcom can decide to make their next title multiplatform, where as with Naughty Dog or 343 we know they are owned by console manufacturer and we can expect more exclusive games in the future from first party devs.

Got a PS3 late this gen and the only first party games that were must own for me personally were Naughty Dogs games.

Not a fan of God of War . GT is good but I prefer Forza. KZ2 and 3 I thought were poor games in general. Heavy Rain was just bad on every level.

Halo 4 wasn't that good but I like what I see from Killer Instinct.

So I'm leaning Sony right now, but it's not a done deal for me personally.

A lot is going to depend on if Ready at Dawn can really bring it and Sony Santa Monica studios abandoning GoW, along with seeing what MS's other exclusives for this gen are.

KAL2006

Banned
Got a PS3 late this gen and the only first party games that were must own for me personally were Naughty Dogs games.

Not a fan of God of War . GT is good but I prefer Forza. KZ2 and 3 I thought were poor games in general. Heavy Rain was just bad on every level.

Halo 4 wasn't that good but I like what I see from Killer Instinct.

So I'm leaning Sony right now, but it's not a done deal for me personally.

A lot is going to depend on if Ready at Dawn can really bring it and Sony Santa Monica studios abandoning GoW, along with seeing what MS's other exclusives for this gen are.

I actually agree with this though I enjoyed inFamous series and thought GoW wasn't bad still decent. But Naughty Dog games are the system sellers here and I can't imagine not playing a Naughty Dog game so it's PS4 for definite. Media Molecule, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, Ready at Dawn are all making new IP's so perhaps something will win us over like a Naughty Dog game would.

KAL2006

Banned
I added a new section in the OP, for people who just want to know about confirmed titles and not what developers are working on

Exclusive Release schedule, only confirmed titles (note titles without release date, I guessed the release)

PS4 (bolded full retail games, not bolded F2P, digital, PSEye games)
- Launch
Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Drive Club

- 2013 Q4
Planetside 2
Warframe
DC Universe Online
Don't Starve
Outlast
Secret Ponchos
The Witness
- Q1
inFamous Second Son
Blackside Retribution
War Thunder
Hohokum
Doki Doki Universe
Q2
Final Fantasy XIV Online
- Q3
The Order

Xbox One (bolded full retail games, not bolded F2P, digital, Kinect, games)
-Launch
Forza 5
Ryse
Killer Instinct
Dead Rising 4

-Q4 2013
Fantasia Music Evolved
Zumba Fitness
Project Spark
Minecraft
LocoCycle
-Q1
Kinect Sports Rivals
Below
Zoo Tycoon
Powerstar Golf
-Q2
D4
Crimson Dragon
TitanFall (likely time exclusive)
Q3
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break

Q3
Halo

Note I haven't listed many Indie games for PS4's line up simply because I think those games will come to Xbox One after the Indie announcement

KAL2006

Banned
Why you expecting to hear from SSM?

Weird.

Simply because they have been working on a new IP since the release of God of War 3, the game should be really far into development, more-so than Media Molecule, Guerilla Games and Naughty Dog. Or maybe perhaps development was slow for thier new IP and most resources went to GoW Ascention development and helping other Studios (Jourtney, Starhawk, The Order and etc).

Simply because they have been working on a new IP since the release of God of War 3, the game should be really far into development, more-so than Media Molecule, Guerilla Games and Naughty Dog. Or maybe perhaps development was slow for thier new IP and most resources went to GoW Ascention development and helping other Studios (Jourtney, Starhawk, The Order and etc).

Yeah, new IP development takes a lot longer. And I'm just guessing they're working on somethign quite substantial so I doubt it will be announced at GameCOM. I'd love to be wrong.

Definitely feel it's a VGA thing.

Globox_82

Banned

You should update about potential Cory making another team over at SSM

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
-Launch
Forza 5
Ryse
Killer Instinct
Dead Rising 4

-Q4 2013
Fantasia Music Evolved
Zumba Fitness
Project Spark
Minecraft
LocoCycle
-Q1
Kinect Sports Rivals
Below
Zoo Tycoon
Powerstar Golf
-Q2
D4
Crimson Dragon
Q3
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break

Q3
Halo

Note I haven't listed many Indie games for PS4's line up simply because I think those games will come to Xbox One after the Indie announcement

Why is Crimson Dragon not bolded? As far as I know it isn't a Kinect title anymore and it doesn't look like it's just a dl or, worse, f2p title, either.

I added a new section in the OP, for people who just want to know about confirmed titles and not what developers are working on

Exclusive Release schedule, only confirmed titles (note titles without release date, I guessed the release)

PS4 (bolded full retail games, not bolded F2P, digital, PSEye games)
- Launch
Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Drive Club

- 2013 Q4
Planetside 2
Warframe
DC Universe Online
Don't Starve
Outlast
Secret Ponchos
The Witness
- Q1
inFamous Second Son
Blackside Retribution
War Thunder
Hohokum
Doki Doki Universe
Q2
Final Fantasy XIV Online
- Q3
The Order

-Launch
Forza 5
Ryse
Killer Instinct
Dead Rising 4

-Q4 2013
Fantasia Music Evolved
Zumba Fitness
Project Spark
Minecraft
LocoCycle
-Q1
Kinect Sports Rivals
Below
Zoo Tycoon
Powerstar Golf
-Q2
D4
Crimson Dragon
Q3
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break

Q3
Halo

Thanks for compiling all of this. I have a question though, how do we know that Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break will arrive next year? Did I miss something?

Also, the two most likely candidates to miss the release dates: Quantum Break and The Witness. I have a feeling that Blow is a "it's done when it's done" guy and Quantum Break looks... ambitious.

Thanks for compiling all of this. I have a question though, how do we know that Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break will arrive next year? Did I miss something?

Also, the two most likely candidates to miss the release dates: Quantum Break and The Witness. I have a feeling that Blow is a "it's done when it's done" guy and Quantum Break looks... ambitious.
I'm curious as to how many of Microsoft's and Sony's 15/20 first year games will actually make it in 2014. That's a lot of games, more than one a month. Obviously not all of them are going to be AAA games, but still, they have to have enough time to advertise each game and make sure it has a good release date etc..

Honestly, Microsoft's 1st and 2nd party games this gen have not impressed me at all, and no I'm not into racing or Halo.

Even their indie exclusives have just been timed.

I think Quantum Break looks interesting ... but even I grew tired of Alan Wake half way through. Honestly, my dust collecting 360 has shown me how bad Microsoft compared to Sony and Nintendo are.

Microsoft's major studios just don't do it for me. I guess Nintendo games don't always do it for me either (I really only care about Zelda), but at least you can see Nintendo trying, its just not necessarily brand new IP but they do try different things with what they have. Microsoft really need to step up their game next gen.

I want to see unique, bold games coming from them. I don't know maybe Microsoft has an inherent disadvantage. This is since Nintendo and Sony have Japanese developers, their games seem more intriguing on a novel level. I mean its not like you are ever going to get a Rain coming out of Microsoft.

They need to break the mold a little is what it is I think. Actually maybe that D4 game by SWERY is a sign to come? If it sells that is ... because if it doesn't, I really do worry its going to be boring ole Microsoft with only their guns and cars to sell their system.

IllumiNate

I was like how the hell did a JR make a thread. I then realized this thread was created long ago and he must have been juniored after

KAL2006

Banned
Why is Killer Instinct bolded? It's a download only/F2P game.

I thought they are also releasing a normal retail version too?

We don't I just assumed they are. It's seems MS blew their load at E3, I expect at least one big retail game to get delayed to 2015 for MS, and I expect more big retail games to get announced for Sony.

Hopefully, Sony makes up for Insomniac and the now closed Liverpool studio not making PS4 games and brings in some new third party devs to contract or start up a new studio. Actually, Insomniac could still work with Sony but it would be weird for them to be making first party titles for both Microsoft and Sony.

I would love it if Jason Rubin came back and teamed up with Cerny to create a new studio from scratch.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Can we really stop with this "unofficial team 1, 2, 3" stuff. It isn't necessary especially with the topic the op presented.

KAL2006

Banned
Can we really stop with this "unofficial team 1, 2, 3" stuff. It isn't necessary especially with the topic the op presented.

Why it is important to know about multiple teams and gives us an idea about the output of games. If Naughty Dog had one team we wouldn't have got Last of Us, and instead of waiting 3-4 year for a new Naughty Dog game now we wait every 1-3 years for a Naughty Dog game.

Drek

Hopefully, Sony makes up for Insomniac and the now closed Liverpool studio not making PS4 games and brings in some new third party devs to contract or start up a new studio. Actually, Insomniac could still work with Sony but it would be weird for them to be making first party titles for both Microsoft and Sony.

I would love it if Jason Rubin came back and teamed up with Cerny to create a new studio from scratch.

Insomniac is making a new Ratchet and Clank game for PS3 currently, FYI, the end of the current story arc.

Also, I'd say Sony already has ties to two highly promising Insomniac replacements with Sanzaru and Ready at Dawn. Tarsier and Housemarque are both very talented smaller teams as well.

Mostly R&D these days, even their casual output has dropped off. SEN Europe is based out of the same office so a lot of the network stuff happens at SCE London now. The PC store was made there for example and a lot of the backend integration for interoperable network services happen in London now as well.

I hope they get to make a game for PS4, but I'm not sure they will be able to, network services are an even more important going into next gen.
I don't think they hired George Andreas to be creative director at SCEE, set him up at Sony London, and don't expect him to make any in-house games. For starters he's not going to be heavy handed with Mick Hocking, who was group VP for Evolution, Liverpool, and BigBig before they close down and consolidated into Evolution. You also don't bring someone like him in and set him up in London if all he's going to do is oversee XDev. And surely he isn't going to start mucking about with Guerrilla, Mm, or Quantic Dream.

All the big known teams left in SCEE have long proven veterans that Sony has been giving more authority and prominence to over the last few years. They cleared out the less successful teams already. So to me adding Andreas strongly suggests the desire to do something more with Sony London's in-house staff.

KAL2006

Banned
I love Sports Champions, I think it's probably the best sports motion game. I wonder what Zindagi are doing next as they seem to be the main Move developers and most experienced. I'd love if Zindagi teamed up with Clap Hanz to create a Hot Shots Sports motion game. The visuals of Hot Shots and the gameplay of Sports Champions would be appealing and could be quite big. Hell Clap Hanz don't even need to get involved, have them continue to make traditional Hot Shots games and Zindagi borrow the IP name and visuals to make a motion game.

Call it Hot Shots Sports, with 3 sports, Tennis, Golf and Boxing. Have all the cool social features of PS4 as well as online play and it could be big.

Dusky

I don't think they hired George Andreas to be creative director at SCEE, set him up at Sony London, and don't expect him to make any in-house games. For starters he's not going to be heavy handed with Mick Hocking, who was group VP for Evolution, Liverpool, and BigBig before they close down and consolidated into Evolution. You also don't bring someone like him in and set him up in London if all he's going to do is oversee XDev. And surely he isn't going to start mucking about with Guerrilla, Mm, or Quantic Dream.

All the big known teams left in SCEE have long proven veterans that Sony has been giving more authority and prominence to over the last few years. They cleared out the less successful teams already. So to me adding Andreas strongly suggests the desire to do something more with Sony London's in-house staff.

He's only been there since early this year right? We likely won't see any major influence from him on Sony London's upcoming titles until at least a year or two, given that they were probably in development long before he arrived there.

Derrick01

Banned
Honestly, Microsoft's 1st and 2nd party games this gen have not impressed me at all, and no I'm not into racing or Halo.

Even their indie exclusives have just been timed.

I think Quantum Break looks interesting ... but even I grew tired of Alan Wake half way through. Honestly, my dust collecting 360 has shown me how bad Microsoft compared to Sony and Nintendo are.

Microsoft's major studios just don't do it for me. I guess Nintendo games don't always do it for me either (I really only care about Zelda), but at least you can see Nintendo trying, its just not necessarily brand new IP but they do try different things with what they have. Microsoft really need to step up their game next gen.

I want to see unique, bold games coming from them. I don't know maybe Microsoft has an inherent disadvantage. This is since Nintendo and Sony have Japanese developers, their games seem more intriguing on a novel level. I mean its not like you are ever going to get a Rain coming out of Microsoft.

They need to break the mold a little is what it is I think. Actually maybe that D4 game by SWERY is a sign to come? If it sells that is ... because if it doesn't, I really do worry its going to be boring ole Microsoft with only their guns and cars to sell their system.

At this point they just need to release games. They only released 9 exclusives since 2010 and most of them are either shooters (both FPS/TPS) or racing games. If you want a comparison, Sony's had/going to have 36 by the end of this year not including PS4/Vita stuff.

I know they announced a bunch of stuff at E3 but that's not good enough (nevermind that I wasn't impressed by any of them). I need to see a long term commitment to gaming in multiple genres, not just areas that they think are massively profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom