• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
JohnTinker said:
stage07_070723c-l.jpg

Whats with that yellow Biplane in the center of the pic?

This screen looks great.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
diablopanqueque said:
Updates that I actually care about.

Screw a new item....show me a new trailer or something.

A new trailer that would show, like... a new item? Along with all the characters we've already seen?

A short video was an update a week or so ago, BTW

That lame 15 second video means nothing. And I mean a trailer that would show off more of everything. I'm not sure when the exact release is for this game but I'm surprised that we don't have at LEAST 20 characters confirmed for the title already.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm a total fan of Smash....it's just that I haven't seen anything to make me board the "hype" train as of yet.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
diablopanqueque said:
I'm not sure when the exact release is for this game

It's on the Web site's front page.

speck.gif

diablopanqueque said:
but I'm surprised that we don't have at LEAST 20 characters confirmed for the title already.

Sakurai (the game's lead designer) is updating the site 5 days a week. There are still about 94 updates before its release and he said he won't reveal any of the unlockables (he referred to characters, technically, but I'd imagine he'd also mean stages and such here, too) until after the game ships. Considering all of this, there's just no way he'd have revealed 20 characters at this point.

If you'd at least read the constantly-updated OP and glanced through the official Web site, you'd have known these things. Instead, you apparently took a cursory glance at the post count of this thread and started trolling. What the hell.

If there's one thing diablopanqueque does not do, it's troll.

That hurt me Danthrax...deeply.

And yes I did look at the OP of the thread yet somehow I did miss the launch date info. Weird.

And even if there are 94 more updates as you say, I don't see why Sakurai hasn't already shown off all of the returning characters. I mean, it's been a long time since this game was initially announced and the confirmed roster hasn't grown by much at all.

That's a let-down to me.

But whatever, I'll do what I did last time and check back here in 3 months and see if anything exciting has been revealed. Till then, I doubt it.

C.T.

diablopanqueque said:

And yes I did look at the OP of the thread yet somehow I did miss the launch date info. Weird.

And even if there are 94 more updates as you say, I don't see why Sakurai hasn't already shown off all of the returning characters. I mean, it's been a long time since this game was initially announced and the confirmed roster hasn't grown by much at all.

That's a let-down to me.

But whatever, I'll do what I did last time and check back here in 3 months and see if anything exciting has been revealed. Till then, I doubt it.

They decided to relaunch the smash site with daily updates. Isn't too far ago, you know? Good bye anyway.

Danthrax said:
Considering all of this, there's just no way he'd have revealed 20 characters at this point.

...but even considering that, he's still revealed 16 characters - Mario, Bowser, Link, Zelda, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Donkey Kong, Fox, Wario, Pit, Samurai Goro, Dr Wright, Hammer Bro. and Meta Knight, who has been reconfirmed through the site updates but has yet to get a full profile.

So far, including confirmations of suspected or previously seen characters, stages or items, we have:

16 characters revealed/confirmed
7 stages revealed/confirmed
8 items revealed/confirmed
4 Pokémon revealed/confirmed
5 music clips

…plus a bunch of info on controls, gameplay and special moves.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
diablopanqueque said:

...maybe I exaggerated a little on the trolling bit. kinda lost my temper.

Cosmonaut X said:
...but even considering that, he's still revealed 16 characters - Mario, Bowser, Link, Zelda, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Donkey Kong, Fox, Wario, Pit, Samurai Goro, Dr Wright, Hammer Bro. and Meta Knight, who has been reconfirmed through the site updates but has yet to get a full profile.

Does anyone really count the Assist Characters? I mean you can't actually play as them. You're right, though, we've had 12 (playable) characters confirmed already, which is a damn decent amount.

nli10

Cosmonaut X said:

So far, including confirmations of suspected or previously seen characters, stages or items, we have:

16 characters revealed/confirmed
7 stages revealed/confirmed
8 items revealed/confirmed
4 Pokémon revealed/confirmed
5 music clips

…plus a bunch of info on controls, gameplay and special moves.

I make that 12 characters, 3 support trophies and ZS Samus which is like Zelda/Sheik really.

nli10 said:
I make that 12 characters, 3 support trophies and ZS Samus which is like Zelda/Sheik really.

Yup, I was stretching the definition of characters a touch :) Still, my point remains - there's been a lot revealed or confirmed on the Dojo site already.

Proven

Personally, I think the Ice Climbers are out or else their battle style gets a redesign. The problem with Ice Climbers is that it's too easy to lose Nana, unless you're really, really, really good, aka a pro player. Most average people can just run over and grab her and knock her a way, especially in 4 player matches, which this game must still support.

And then even for pro players, if you can knock them in the air and hurry with another attack, you get them separated, and can then proceed to knock Nana away while Popo is still falling, I've seen that happen way too many times.

So, as much as I would like to see a NES only club or something, I'm leaning on Ice Climbers being out. And even if they are still in, we're probably not going to get a character profile for them for a while, even if they were in Melee's starting 14, as they just aren't iconic enough (unlike with Marth and Roy, they didn't get an awesome new game released after they were redone in Smash).

Take note of this guys, as Pit may also be out of a new game.

Kreed

Wow, after the complaints about all the stages practically being the same, I thought people were going to be happy about this new stage. Especially when it's a stage based off Jungle Beat.

Anyway, I'm guessing this stage only scrolls up and stops once it gets to the top, which will probably be an outer space setting.

Haunted

Great update. I called it. A new stage not consisting of three flat platforms.

Awesome. I didn't like the Ice Climbers level that much, but that had a lot to do with the sliding around on the ice, it should be fine in Rumble Falls.

Cool new addition with the climbable ladders, I hope they add some more stuff like that, things that change the gameplay
just to piss off the elitists 'noooo, don't change my Smash Bros.' :p :p
. First moving crates, then Zero Suit Samus dependable on the final smash item, now climbable ladders: Sakurai totally delivers.

Kreed said:
Wow, after the complaints about all the stages practically being the same, I thought people were going to be happy about this new stage. Especially when it's a stage based off Jungle Beat.
Welcome to NeoGAF.

Gozan

The way some of the platforms curve upwards looks to me like they might allow you to jump onto them and bounce high into the air, which would be a real improvement over Icicle Mountain.

And I get the impression that it's going to scroll slowly, so that the fight is constant, unlike Icicle Mountain, where there were unfortunate interruptions in the action.

Haunted One said:
just to piss off the elitists 'noooo, don't change my Smash Bros.' :p :p

then Zero Suit Samus dependable on the final smash item, .

What has Zero Suit Samus wanting to be a seperate character to do with elitist? :-/
And i still think she´ll be playable without the final smash.

Ah, i get it, you want to provoke me for the strikers cup...i´ll blow you away next game :-|

:p

Haunted

MasterMFauli said:
What has Zero Suit Samus wanting to be a seperate character to do with elitist? :-/
And i still think she´ll be playable without the final smash.

Ah, i get it, you want to provoke me for the strikers cup...i´ll blow you away next game :-|

:p
I just meant the tournament players bitching about changes in the gameplay in general. ZSS was just an example, and it wasn't even directed at you! :)

I don't know if ZSS will be playable without the item, because we don't have a precedent for this kind of situation. Zelda/Sheik was the only comparable character so far, and she was immediately accessible with the press of a button... hm, we'll just have to wait and see.

heh, right. I'm just trying to pump you up for the next Cup game. Gooo Strikers! :p

I've been away for a few days now and i like to comment on 'This World' thing, it seems to be a) an online mode, with an co-op option, like StrikerS 2-player online co-op, with the mysterious guy being some sort of avatar helping the online process, b) story mode with a battle between the good guys vs badguys and the mysterious guy is some sort of 'master man' boss. Definetely a strange update and very interesting

Today's update is quite good actually, if its anything like Ice Climbers stage, it be fun but won't be fun for competitive play, as long as the 'screen changes' is at a constant speed and not random like Ice Climbers stage which was hectic when it was very speedy.

AntMurda

There is no way Captain Falcon will be removed. I think the most endangered characters are the Ice Climbers, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Falco, Pichu and Dr. Mario.

Captain Falcon, Ganondorf are a shoe-in. Ike is most likely a shoe-in too taking over Roy.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
:lol Sakurai should have put up a picture with DK holding a barrel and Zelda behind him, and mario climbing up the stairs to reach him.

Nintaiyo

JohnTinker said:
Theory:

stage07_070723c-l.jpg

Once you reach here, the top of the level, the yellow biplane flies by and "scoops" everyone up. Seeing that there's 3 small platforms on the plane, and two crates. Then the plane takes you down to the bottom of the level, and the process all starts again

Yeah, I think you're right about having to jump onto the plane. It looks just like a set of platforms you could jump on. I'm not sure whether the plane would go back down though; it could fly even higher. I'm guessing that you die if you don't jump on. Another thing that makes me think that it's actually a platform is the fact that it has boxes on it. They look suspiciously like the crates we saw in previous updates, more specifically the custom ones for each level.

superbank said:
Climbing ladders is useless if you can jump through the platform.

Yeah, the ladders do seem pointless if you can just jump right up. I think it'd be really fun and hectic if you couldn't jump through certain platforms and were forced to use the ladders, or maybe there'd only be one ladder. Imagine everyone trying to get up the ladder at the same time, knocking eachother off, trying not to die by reaching the bottom of the screen.

Kreed

AntMurda said:
There is no way Captain Falcon will be removed. I think the most endangered characters are the Ice Climbers, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Falco, Pichu and Dr. Mario.

Captain Falcon, Ganondorf are a shoe-in. Ike is most likely a shoe-in too taking over Roy.

Why would Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch be in danger? Besides being the only representatives from their respective games, they were very unique characters, unlike the "clones". This isn't directed at you in particular because a lot of people have been discussing the possibility of those fighters being removed (along with Mewtwo) and the only logic I see behind it is that not many Melee players liked them/their fighting style.

Wii said:
They should redo DK Arcade as a minigame using the SSBB engine now that they've got rolling barrels and ladders.
That'd be great. Recreations of single-screen stages from old games like Donkey Kong or even Mario Bros. seem like a perfect fit for Smash Bros.

nategc

Banned
Captain N said:
on gamehead didn't Reggie say there would be a big announcement for this game on the 26th or 27th?

if this goddamn game goes online...........halo 3 and unreal tournament 3 will have some damn fine competition in multiplayer game of the year. KNOW THAT.

Cyan said:
Ugh. The Ice Climbers stage was one of the worst in SSBM.
It was bad for a lot of reasons that can be avoided here.

For one, it was more about surviving the bottom of the screen than fighting. That made it extremely character biased. Some characters, like Donkey Kong, excelled at horizontal movement and had a hard time getting up when the screen would fly up at times. With the ladders and the spring boards, that shouldn't be an issue.

Another problem Icicle Mountain had was the inconsistent speed of the scrolling. We don't know if Rumble Falls is the same way, but if it's not, it would be much more playable.

Also, the ice made it difficult to fight and contributed to the issue of it being survival over fighting. Only the ice climbers could walk on the stage unimpeded. Everyone else kind of shuffled around. That obviously won't be an issue here.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
ShockingAlberto said:
It was bad for a lot of reasons that can be avoided here.

For one, it was more about surviving the bottom of the screen than fighting. That made it extremely character biased. Some characters, like Donkey Kong, excelled at horizontal movement and had a hard time getting up when the screen would fly up at times. With the ladders and the spring boards, that shouldn't be an issue.

Another problem Icicle Mountain had was the inconsistent speed of the scrolling. We don't know if Rumble Falls is the same way, but if it's not, it would be much more playable.

Also, the ice made it difficult to fight and contributed to the issue of it being survival over fighting. Only the ice climbers could walk on the stage unimpeded. Everyone else kind of shuffled around. That obviously won't be an issue here.

Icicle mountain was great because of all those reasons. especially the inconsistent scrolling speed (which I assume this new level has aswell) and the ice covered ground. Even with Bowser and DK it wasn't too hard to move vertically at the necessary speed, and with some technique you wasn't put in too much of a disadvantage. I loved that stage, mainly because none of my friends can play it for shit, but it's still great. <3

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
nategc said:
ganondorf says hey.......... they was the exact character :lol but he might be in there.

I wonder how you came up with this response. What was your thought process when you read Vongs post? :lol

JohnTinker said:
There's no reason to be excited for Sonic anymore. His games are the very definition of mediocre and all the possible enthusiasm one might have is watered down with his appearance in the Olympic games.

The new DK stage looks cool. Icicle Mountain was a fun stage that was a nice change of pace from all the other stages. I can't wait to battle on Rumble Falls! :D

I hated, actually loathed, the Ice Climbers stage in Melee. I felt it was ultimately unfair to certain characters because of their vertical limitations.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, however. Hopefully this stage will scroll the SAME speed throughout the match.

evilromero said:
There's no reason to be excited for Sonic anymore. His games are the very definition of mediocre and all the possible enthusiasm one might have is watered down with his appearance in the Olympic games.
So the games have to be good recently for someone to want a character in the game?

Guess that means Yoshi's out. Kirby and Metaknight, too. Unfortunate, I liked those characters, but this new criteria of what I should be excited about means their inclusions in the game aren't going to be very worthwhile.

evilromero said:

TBH, if there's anyone I trust to "get" Sonic and make his inclusion in the game worthwhile, it's Sakurai.

ShockingAlberto said:
So the games have to be good recently for someone to want a character in the game?

Guess that means Yoshi's out. Kirby and Metaknight, too. Unfortunate, I liked those characters, but this new criteria of what I should be excited about means their inclusions in the game aren't going to be very worthwhile.

Luigi's out cause of Luigi's Mansion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ShockingAlberto said:

You're nuts if you think Yoshi's Island DS and Kirby Canvas Curse are not awesome games.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
evilromero said:

Game & Watch -- GONE

seriously dude. I want Sonic to be in this game. I'll flip out if
when
he's revealed.

evilromero said:

Ice Climbers was honestly the worst first-party NES game I've ever played, but I was still excited about Ice Climbers in melee.

If you're basing your excitement of characters on the success of their franchises you might be liking Smash Bros. for some weird reasons...

It's about iconic characters in Nintendo's history and the past. And "Mario vs. Sonic" was honestly the first 'console war' many of us remember as kids and was a big part of the developing gaming industry. Needless to say, Mario and Sonic fighting eachother in my opinion would be the definition of "Console War" visually represented.

But maybe I'm looking too into this! All I'm saying is, even if you don't like Sonic or SEGA... you'd be an idiot to say that Sonic isn't a video game 'All-Star' worthy of a spot on the Smash Bros. roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom