• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazan

PkunkFury said:
for those that don't see the pattern yet:

all original 64 series in 1-11
all introduced in Melee series in 12-14
and all introduced in brawl 1st party series in 15-18
Brawl numbers will go past 18, could include another Nintendo franchise or two
and all 3rd party franchise will be after these numbers (so for now, Metal Gear would be 19)

I hope and think that they will add Advance wars as well. The numbers would probably stop at 26, where the last four are most likely third-party characters/franchies (Sega, Konami, Capcom and Namco?)

Dark Ninja said:
MARTH NOT OUT!!

The Fire Emblem Icon is still the Falchion
Marth's Sword!!
world_b_12.gif
I recall this thread coming to the consensus that Marth was sort of a Roy clone in Melee rather than the other way around. It stands to reason that Ike takes Roy's power moveset (he is pretty damn powerful) and Marth gets a new one more appropriate for his character.

It also has the added benefit of rebalancing Marth.

Innotech

Banned
Yazan said:
I hope and think that they will add Advance wars as well. The numbers would probably stop at 26, where the last four are most likely third-party characters/franchies (Sega, Konami, Capcom and Namco?)
Pacman confirmed

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
I recall this thread coming to the consensus that Marth was sort of a Roy clone in Melee rather than the other way around. It stands to reason that Ike takes Roy's power moveset (he is pretty damn powerful) and Marth gets a new one more appropriate for his character.

I don't think they'll go with three FE characters. I predict that one of them had to go.

Just wait for Sothe to replace Marth and Roy. :lol

Yazan

Btw, what characters do you think wont return from SSBM?

Those is what we already can count out:

- Pichu
- Roy/Marth/both
- Sheik?
- Dr. Mario

Falco will probably get a new move set.

PkunkFury

ShockingAlberto said:

They might make Marth a faster Ike clone, but I can't see Marth being included with a different moveset (even if it is his old one). The problem is that Marth and Ike look too similar. They both are swordsmen with capes and blue hair. It would be pretty bad game design to make them separate characters, since people who aren't that into fire emblem would probably get them confused regularly (especially since Marth is Japan only). That's why i think math is a clone, a costume, or gone, and Ike likely absorbed most of the Marth moveset.

If they add another FE character, it should be Lyn(female, fast) or Hector(since he'd have an axe based moveset) since they would offer much more appearance and moveset variety. Or i guess Black Knight for a villain, maybe an Ike clone

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
ShockingAlberto said:
Buy the GC game first. The Wii game is a direct sequel.

I will try to find it used at the local used videogame shop. I hope its cheap. I have so many GC games to get through (Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, & Wind Waker) and Wii games (Scarface, Paper Mario, & Barnyard).

Stocka

Wicked news! My favourite Fire Emblem character without a shadow of a doubt. I shall be using Ike and Pit the most I reckon.

AlternativeUlster said:
I will try to find it used at the local used videogame shop. I hope its cheap. I have so many GC games to get through (Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, & Wind Waker) and Wii games (Scarface, Paper Mario, & Barnyard).

What

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
Hm? I said I think Ike is just straight out replacing Roy. My personal prediction is that Marth will stay.
ah, oh yes, I agree. It's early and I didn't have my coffee yet etc. :p

Although... Marth has blue hair, Ike has blue hair.. maybe Sakurai doesn't want to confuse people and keeps Roy the redhair around (or the green-haired Sothe).

nah, Pikachu and Pichu were included in the first game as well, those looked similar already.

Prax

They should just put in Macaiah for an FE10 character, although she would be a little like Zelda in a sense that she would have to use more magic-based attacks. Or maybe Lethe from FE9. She would have a very different moveset.

There are still too many boys! More girls needed!

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Having a female Fire Emblem character in this game sounds great.

Along with Zelda, Peach and Samus, that will make four females, which is much needed in a game which will have 30+ characters. (No, Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers doesn't count >_>)

GaimeGuy said:
ike.jpg

From Fire Emblem, Ike appears! The fact that he can wield a two-handed sword with a single hand is a testament to his magnificent strength.

His brings his special move "Aether" with him as he crashes the Brawl party. Try for a single-stroke finishing blow with his mighty blade!
ike_070801a-l.jpg

ike_070801b-l.jpg

ike_070801c-l.jpg

ike_070801d-l.jpg

This game looks ***ing amazing with every character !!!

WOW hoch 1000 !!!!

NeonZ

They might make Marth a faster Ike clone, but I can't see Marth being included with a different moveset (even if it is his old one). The problem is that Marth and Ike look too similar. They both are swordsmen with capes and blue hair.

They just need to give Marth the Fire Emblem shield. That should make him look distinct enough from Ike.

Or i guess Black Knight for a villain, maybe an Ike clone

The Black Knight is stated to use Grail's fighting style, just like Ike... though I don't think there will be clones this time, considering the existence of the Assist Trophies...

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
So, this would be the first non-returning, unrevealed character.

Hm. I wonder if this will set a trend of new characters for a while.
I hope it does, I hope it does. Character updates > all other updates.

Kreed

Wow a brand new character (Ike FTW), and we haven't even gotten Metaknight and Snake's profiles yet. I wonder if Sothe (one of main characters of the Wii sequel) will be playable too?

PkunkFury

ShockingAlberto said:
So, this would be the first non-returning, unrevealed character.

Hm. I wonder if this will set a trend of new characters for a while.

new character every first of the month? Was there an update July first?

Haunted

Kreed said:
Wow a brand new character (Ike FTW), and we haven't even gotten Metaknight and Snake's profiles yet. I wonder if Sothe (one of main characters of the Wii sequel) will be playable too?
Unlockable characters weren't shown on Melee's website until after the game's release iirc. Snake is a 'hidden' = unlockable character for sure, but I don't know about Meta-Knight. Could be an unlockable as well, so I think we'll 'only' get the starting roster in the upcoming weeks/months.

Let's see, it's August. We'll assume the last update we get will be December 2nd, something like "I hope you enjoy playing the game!" and maybe the secret characters shown some time after.

So, today was August 1st and we got a new character. That leaves September, October, November, and December for unrevealed characters. Using Pkunk's list, there just happens to be four remaining series we haven't seen yet.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
PkunkFury said:
Updated series icon list:

1. Smash Brothers
2. Donkey Kong
3. StarFox
4. Kirby
5. F-Zero
6. Metroid
8. Pokemon
9. Zelda
10. Mario
11. Yoshi
12. Fire Emblem
15. Animal Crossing
16. Wario
18. Kid Icarus

Melee series still missing:

Earthbound (ought to be confirmed, but NOA may try to stop this one)
Ice Climbers (might go?)
Game and Watch (might go?)

Seems what I suspected is right. That means:

Earthbound = 7
Ice Climbers = 13
Game and Watch = 14

and finally, this one is pretty much a shoe in
Pikmin = 17

This info says both Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch have like a 99% chance of coming back, since they fit into the series list perfectly. It is still possible for either 13 or both 13 and 14 to be new Brawl series, since we don't know where melee ends and brawl begins, but I doubt it. Animal Crossing is a huge franchise, and it makes sense as the first in the brawl list

for those that don't see the pattern yet:

all original 64 series in 1-11
all introduced in Melee series in 12-14
and all introduced in brawl 1st party series in 15-18
Brawl numbers will go past 18, could include another Nintendo franchise or two
and all 3rd party franchise will be after these numbers (so for now, Metal Gear would be 19)

Everything here makes so much sense that it's scary.

This is the first Wii game to actually have next-gen quality character models. Cool. Ike looks fab.

I'd be amazed if Marth and Ike were in the game together, though, myself. Both look WAY too similar to be in it, IMO. Blue Hair, blue tunic, big sword... I don't see it happening, personally. I think having two characters who are visually almost identical is a mistake. They were pushing it with the Pichu/Pikachu thing.

Akinola

Son of Godzilla said:
Thank Christ Roy is gone.

I wouldn't count him out. if anything, he might just be joining Marth and Roy so there'll be a trifecta of that group of characters (like the Mushroom Kingdom and the Hyrulians)

...or not. Man, Dec 3rd needs to come faster. I think the update today counted as a slight megaton.

Akinola said:
...or not. Man, Dec 3rd needs to come faster. I think the update today counted as a slight megaton.

Please DON'T use the word megaton, especially for a character update that is NOT surprising at all. Master Chief in SSBB WOULD be what you'd call a megaton (kind of) but this, no ;)

A new sword-wielding character from Fire Emblem... I wonder what this means for Marth and Roy... I suppose one of the two will not be in Brawl.

jrricky

Banned
Android18a said:
This is the first Wii game to actually have next-gen quality character models.
Somebody's forgetting Mario Galaxy and to an extent Metroid again. Anyways, awesome update nonetheless. Who called Ike would be in the game?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Woa, awesome update.

For some reason, kinda makes me want to see Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia in the game now.

EktorPR

Wow, completely unexpected. After Path of Radiance, Ike became possibly my favorite character in the Fire Emblem canon. And he looks ****ing great: the model is amazing. I hope now that since Ike is in, Marth and Roy get replaced with this other PoR beauty:

308568-150x500.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
EktorPR said:
Wow, completely unexpected. After Path of Radiance, Ike became possibly my favorite character in the Fire Emblem canon. And he looks ****ing great: the model is amazing. I hope now that since Ike is in, Marth and Roy get replaced with this other PoR beauty:

308568-150x500.jpg

Agreed. She was one hell of a brutal tank.

Can you imagine being a red headed, long braided, armor-clad woman with a GIANT AXE standing over Pikachu, attempting to cut it in half? :lol Only in Smash, man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom