• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
AMUSIX said:
Oh, and great update, might be replacing both Marth and Roy...have a similar moveset with a few unique differences.
Yeah, I'm hoping so. Even though Smash afficionados know the differences, on the surface they were much too alike. I'd hope if they use another FE character, they go with someone of a completely different archetype with a radically different playstyle, like a mage or a hulking axe knight. Problem is, those tend to all be ancillary characters in the games, and I tend to think Nintendo is going to stick only with main characters for SSB.

In that case, Lyn (female fencer) from the first US FE would be a great choice.

Easytoremember said:
This really makes me wonder if Meta-Knight is a secret character, as it seems really weird to not have his profile yet.

It would make sense, since Meta-Knight seems to be involved in the Story Mode. Maybe you unlock him when you complete it.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ike's a decent character to have. I hope he fights like roy and marth did. Both of them were good charatcers to use in melee.

I want to learn more about the assist trophies. I want to see all the trophies from melee plus more being made into assist trophies, but Ive got a feeling its going to be a lot like pokeballs, where there's only a handful of all the pokemon that can actually be used in the game.

I really really doubt Marth is going to be 'out'. He is the very first Fire Emblem character and a classic NES icon in japan.

It would kind've be like having Zelda, Ganondorf, Onox, and Midna and then leaving out Link.

EktorPR

SuperAngelo64 said:
I really really doubt Marth is going to be 'out'. He is the very first Fire Emblem character and a classic NES icon in japan.

It would kind've be like having Zelda, Ganondorf, Onox, and Midna and then leaving out Link.

It's different: In The Legend of Zelda, Link, Princess Zelda and Ganondorf are almost always recurring characters in every game. Fire Emblem is more in line with "Final Fantasy" or "Dragon Quest", with numeral games in the series featuring different casts of characters. Following that line, I highly doubt Marth is still in. It should be another PoR character (or maybe the thief protagonist of GoD).

psycho_snake said:
I want to learn more about the assist trophies. I want to see all the trophies from melee plus more being made into assist trophies, but Ive got a feeling its going to be a lot like pokeballs, where there's only a handful of all the pokemon that can actually be used in the game.

What?!

You do realize there were just shy of 300 trophies in SSBM, don’t you? Even removing player trophies & item/vehicle trophies you’re still talking about somewhere in excess of 100 trophies to convert into Assists. I’d expect something a little more realistic would be between 30-50 Assist Trophies, putting them roughly in line with the number of Pokemon that appeared in Melee (30-ish, wasn’t it?)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SuperAngelo64 said:
classic NES icon in japan
in japan.
Roy and Marth made it in Melee because we'd never seen FE in other territories, and they could use whoever as a sort of inroads toward establishing interest in other markets. Now that the franchise has some US releases under its belt, they're probably going to use characters from those games, that every territory will recognise equally.
Uh, no. Link is the main character in every Zelda game, whereas Roy hasn't had a starring role in FE in the past several games.

Cosmonaut X said:
What?!

You do realize there were just shy of 300 trophies in SSBM, don’t you? Even removing player trophies & item/vehicle trophies you’re still talking about somewhere in excess of 100 trophies to convert into Assists. I’d expect something a little more realistic would be between 30-50 Assist Trophies, putting them roughly in line with the number of Pokemon that appeared in Melee (30-ish, wasn’t it?)

Yes, there aren't going to be more than around 50 assist characters, that's for sure (I expect 40 or less). There is a VERY SLIGHT possibility for up to 100, but 300? No way. Ok, these characters aren't playable, but they all have a unique moveset, animations, etc. I'm sure they are a lot of work, and it's just a small part of the game. I don't think Sakurai would put all his efforts on assist characters.

Saitou

Banned
Ike was always a given, if you ask me.

The question, however, was what other FE characters would join him. For I have no doubt there are more, albeit most likely secret and thus not fit for these updates.

I think that Hector and Ephraim would fit very nicely: an axe and a lance wielder, respectively. No clones, radically different movesets. Their games are not particularly well known, but this certainly didn't stop Marth and Roy back in Melee.

And yet, Marth's popularity in Japan is huge. As mentioned before, if given his characteristic shield they could avoid making him a clone.

Both are great outcomes. I have my doubts either will become true.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Freaking awesome, I knew he was gonna be in it from the beginning. Now I wonder if this means Marth and Roy are out or just one of them(Roy).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I hope Marth is still around... or bring in Lyn, I think a female FE character would be cool, I don't know much about the series though. But this is a really awesome update, I love finding out about new characters the most.

Nintendo please release this game now, with online details. I wants it. I needs it. More importantly, there are like 3 million more people probably who will pay $300 for an online Smash Bros. Brawl.

Shig said:
Roy and Marth made it in Melee because we'd never seen FE in other territories, and they could use whoever as a sort of inroads toward establishing interest in other markets. Now that the franchise has some US releases under its belt, they're probably going to use characters from those games, that every territory will recognise equally.

I'll bet you more people, as of now, know about Marth from Melee than they do about Ike from Fire Emblem. Even with Fire Emblem released in the US it's popularity is nothing compared to Smash Bros. Melee. But the whole 'popularity' contest thing is really beside the point. My main point is that Marth IS the begining of the series, his sword (Falchion) IS the Fire Emblem icon. He's been the main hero in two of ten FE titles, the only other character to do this would be Ike (And I'm not even sure if he's the main hero of FE Wii).

I really don't like Marth all that much, and as a character I wouldn't get too bent out've shape to see him go. But as a gaming icon for the franchise, it'd be pretty sad to see him go.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
EktorPR said:
Yeah. We need a female warrior from Fire Emblem.

*goes back to Sakurai Altar and resumes praying*
Don't forget to throw in a good word for Geno.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It was an easy guess that Ike would make it into the game especially with 2 Fire Emblem charactes already being placeholders. Lynn would be a great addition. too.

I think Captain Olimar and Little Mac are going to be in it for sure.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You know what I was just thinking... a character from the Castlevania series would fit right in. Before today I never thought about this but it could be a possibility. Imagine simon belmont in smash whipping people... Also this is another konami character and we already have snake so its a possibility.

woxel1

ike_070801e.jpg

Am I supposed to call him "Ike" like Eisenhower? Really?
Heh heh, Ike.

GaimeGuy said:
ike.jpg

From Fire Emblem, Ike appears! The fact that he can wield a two-handed sword with a single hand is a testament to his magnificent strength.

His brings his special move "Aether" with him as he crashes the Brawl party. Try for a single-stroke finishing blow with his mighty blade!
ike_070801a-l.jpg

ike_070801b-l.jpg

ike_070801c-l.jpg

ike_070801d-l.jpg
Wow what an amazing update. Ike looks like a great fighter. I do hope if there is another FE brawler, Nintendo selects a female character. :D

Somnid

Well if Melee had 2 FE characters it wouldn't be surprising if Brawl had 2. If they do another a female character would be nice to balance the roster and less likely to get clone'd but in that case Marth is totally gone.

Somnid

Linkzg said:
is it confirmed at all that Ike isnt just a a replacement for Marth? like they have the same moveset but a different character model.

Impossible to tell at this point (just speculation), all we know is that his Final Smash is Aether. All we have is what's currently on the site and it's not much.

NeonZ

Linkzg said:
is it confirmed at all that Ike isnt just a a replacement for Marth? like they have the same moveset but a different character model.

Well, the site said that Ike has "Aether" (an 2 hit attack which absorbed energy and ignored defense in his game) and neither Marth nor Roy had anything like that. So his moveset is confirmed to not be identical to Marth's, though it could still be just slightly changed.

However, the Falchion, Marth's sword, still is FE's symbol in SSBB, so it'd be weird if he didn't appear.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
My guess is Marth is out just because him and Ike look so damn similar. I mean, you wouldnt be able to play Marth against Ike with their default colors, it would be confusing.

Saitou

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
My guess is Marth is out just because him and Ike look so damn similar. I mean, you wouldnt be able to play Marth against Ike with their default colors, it would be confusing.
Marth had a shield, the Fire Emblem. Frankly, I'm not sure why they omitted it in Melee, but giving it back to him would probably avoid confusion. Also, the white cape and skirt he used to wear.

Mmmmm...... men in skirts....

Firestorm

I'll step up to the plate:

What a horrible update. How come he won't just show us a new item or something! Hopefully tomorrow we'll learn how to meteor smash or something =(

MMaRsu

Banned
Firestorm said:
I'll step up to the plate:

What a horrible update. How come he won't just show us a new item or something! Hopefully tomorrow we'll learn how to meteor smash or something =(

WHAT?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
In a fit of boredom, here's a list of characters I'd like to see as trophy assists.

Jill (Drill Dozer)
Fawful (M&L:SS)
Kururin (Kuru Kuru Kururin)
Andy/Sami/Max (Advance Wars)
Queen Bug (Mariopaint flyswatter minigame)
Mouser (SMB2)
Ninja Kong (or any of the Evil Kongs) (DKJB)
Kamek (SMW/ Yoshi's Island)
Koopa Kids (SMB series)
ST Falcon (BattleClash/Metal Combat)
Starman (Earthbound)
Ridley (Metroid)
Mach Rider
King Hippo (Punch-Out!!)
Mr. Resetti (AC)
Viruses (Dr. Mario)
Vaati (Zelda 4S and MC)
R.O.B.
Andross (Star Fox)
Tatanga (SML)

NeonZ

Marth+Fire Emblem artwork from the card game (released after SSBM)...

P037_Marth.jpg

If they go with a design similar to that one, only Marth's and Ike's shirts will really be similar.

NotWii

Banned
Wow, they picked one of the most uncharismatic lords in all of Fire Emblem :/

Sigurd would use Ike's head as a floor sifter!
sigurd.jpg

EktorPR

Wii said:
Wow, they picked one of the most uncharismatic lords in all of Fire Emblem :/

Sigurd would use Ike's head as a floor sifter!
sigurd.jpg

What?! No...well, maybe yes @ the Sigurd statement, no @ Ike being "uncharismatic".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom