• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best stage so far! I thought this was a FE stage, but I couldn't think of what where it came from, now I just hear that it's a generic FE style castle which makes sense really since there isn't much recognizable architecture in FE anyway!

Love the stage progression idea though, and it's nice to see a stage that doesn't loop either (Unless they have some sort of teleporter that brings you back up :p)

turk128

RagnarokX said:
Looks like lava or ground with cracks glowing with heat to the left... could be a dragon's den.
Thought so, too.

And the pic reminds me of the LOTR movie when the Balrog and Gandolf fall into that huge underground cavern.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
laserbeam said:
stage09_070802c-l.jpg

What's that Samus is doing in the top corner to Donkey Kong? It looks like an energy wave eminating from her. (you can see it quite faintly in blue.)

Is that her Stun Gun in action?

Leezard

SovanJedi said:
What's that Samus is doing in the top corner to Donkey Kong? It looks like an energy wave eminating from her. (you can see it quite faintly in blue.)

Doesn't she use a down+B or something? Seems like a regular attack.

RagnarokX

SovanJedi said:

She kicked DK...

Shiggy

Isn't it obvious what's down there?

Dr. Kawashima is waiting with his friends in order to whip everyone who's coming. And the best: He's got a leather suit.

Originally it was a stage on its own, but then Iwata discovered it and thought that this would be the best chance to make Fire Emblem a game for the mass market. Due to this there'll be new game mechanics in the next FE games, which will be played from a first person perspective, while the remote movements resemble a whip on TV. They might also start developing Dr. Kawashimas SM Training, but that's a rumour as of now.

Haunted

Awesome stage. Sakurai, you tease!

I think it's just a generic underground cave or something. Although the floor texture in sp0rsk's
ks
shot could be a river, but you can't really make it out.

I like how he specifies that it's just a random FE castle in a heated battle. Very diplomatic. :)

mugwhump

Linkzg said:
any hardcore FE fans have any idea what the underground will be like?

and hopefully when I wake up, some crazy person will compare the animations of Ike and Marth, just in case.
Ike's stance in the 4th pic is a lot like the downward final hit of Marth's dancing blade... >_>
SovanJedi said:

Those shiny things just look like generic hit effects. Seems like she got DK with her sex kick.

Scribble

It'd be extremely silly for Marth to be dropped. I don't think it'll happen, since Marth is far too significant.

I hope we get a blue haired swordsman trio of Marth, Sigurd and Ike.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Scribble said:
It'd be extremely silly for Marth to be dropped. I don't think it'll happen, since Marth is far too significant.
He hasn't appeared in a game in his home series for almost 15 years. That's some kind of signifigant.
Yes, that's the best way to represent a game with a large amount of unit variety. Put in three characters that look and play almost completely alike.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Guys, they start out at the top of a castle. Then they fall into the throne room.

I think it's fairly obvious they are falling into the dungeons.
How many times in FE do you have to free someone or escape dungeons?

falling = dungeons

John Harker

Scribble said:

NO

breath_of_fire_3.jpg

Let's not forget 1 & 2 were on SNES - the series started on Nintendo.

Goooooooo RYU
ryus.jpg

woxel1

dyls said:
For someone who's apparently only available after a final smash, Zero Suit Samus certainly shows up alot.
And you never do see Samus and Zero Suit Samus in the same picture together... GASP!

Scribble

Guys, PLEASE.

Marth is the first Fire Emblem character, and one of the three most popular characters of the series. He is the icon of Fire Emblem. Like how Simon Belmont represents Castlevania.

>_>

Wow , what an idiotic argument saying that they're extremely similar. Have you PLAYED their Fire Emblem? Marth, Sigurd and Ike do NOT necessarily have to play the same.

Do you know how ridiculous the "dont put dem in cos dey got blue hair" argument sounds? It's like the "DON'T PUT RIDLEY IN 'COS HES TO BIG" argument. Give me a break.

EktorPR

What you're saying has base, but no reason.

The Castlevania series, as any numeral series that shares different protagonists over its course, is represented by who happens to be your favorite character, in your case Simon Belmont, in mine Alucard.

The same applies to Fire Emblem.

It's like saying that the "icon" of the Final Fantasy series is Cloud, or a character from the original game. It can go both ways.

Akinola

Scribble said:
Guys, PLEASE.

Marth is the first Fire Emblem character, and one of the three most popular characters of the series. He is the icon of Fire Emblem. Like how Simon Belmont represents Castlevania.

>_>

Wow, what an idiotic argument. Have you PLAYED their Fire Emblem? Marth, Sigurd and Ike do NOT necessarily have to play the same.

Do you know how ridiculous the "dont put dem in cos dey got blue hair" argument sounds? It's like the "DON'T PUT RIDLEY IN 'COS HES TO BIG" argument. Give me a break.

kitkat_small.jpg

Scribble

EktorPR said:
What you're saying has base, but no reason.

The Castlevania series, as any numeral series that shares different protagonists over its course, is represented by who happens to be your favorite character, in your case Simon Belmont, in mine Alucard.

It's like saying that the "icon" of the Final Fantasy series is Cloud, or a character from the original game. It can go both ways.

But if there was a Final Fantasy fighting game (i.e. Dissidia), you'd think it was strange if Cloud didn't make it, right?

Same with Marth and Sigurd for the Japanese fanbase. Marth = Simon, Sigurd = Alucard.

traveler

Not Wario
In terms of pure gameplay, this is the most exciting stage we've seen BY far, even if I still like the setting and look of the Twilight Princess stage a little bit more.

(I was one of those who was disappointed by the lack of variety in previous stages, so I was simply dropping in to say "I was wrong.")

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jigglypuff will own everyone on the way down.

Pretty sure Sakurai is trying to avoid clones this time. Will they still happen? Maybe. But I get the impression he's avoid them as much as he can.

That said, Marth may still be in if Ike plays like Roy did; the slightly slower, slightly stronger swordsman.

Twig

Banned
mugwhump said:
Those shiny things just look like generic hit effects. Seems like she got DK with her sex kick.
Actually, he's talking about the large blue moon-shaped wave to the left of DK, not the little shine between DK and Samus.
stage09_070802c-l.jpg

NeonZ

EktorPR said:

Eh... Fire Emblem's 'icon' in Smash still is officially Marth's sword ... :p

Unless they're including Alm, who also wielded that sword, but comes from an even more obscure game (and is another blue haired prince...), Marth should be playable.

Besides, this new stage is a generic FE stage, rather than one based on any single game. That probably means we'll have at least one FE character who isn't from Path of Radiance/Goddess of Dawn...

John Harker

How do you knock someone off the stage if you're inside a castle though? There are no edges to fall off

Teasel

John Harker said:
How do you knock someone off the stage if you're inside a castle though? There are no edges to fall off
there were no edges to fall off in G&W stage too in melee,you either knock someone on the side of the screen or make him fly off the top of the screen

PkunkFury

NeonZ said:
Eh... Fire Emblem's 'icon' in Smash still is officially Marth's sword ... :p

Unless they're including Alm, who also wielded that sword, but comes from an even more obscure game (and is another blue haired prince...), Marth should be playable.

I doubt the icon being Marth's sword would matter at all. They aren't going to change the icon for the series just because the characters have changed. The series is still the same, and they decided on that icon in the last game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Scribble said:
But if there was a Final Fantasy fighting game (i.e. Dissidia), you'd think it was strange if Cloud didn't make it, right?

Same with Marth and Sigurd for the Japanese fanbase. Marth = Simon, Sigurd = Alucard.
The difference that you can't seem to get through your head is that Cloud, Simon, and Alucard appeared in installments in their respective series that were released worldwide.

The choice is between putting in a character that only one country (which isn't even Smash Bros.' strongest market, btw) will have contextual access to, or putting in a character that every country will have contextual access to. In the former, Nintendo has to tell every other territory to just take their word that he's a big deal. In the latter, they can say that they appeared in FE[X] and every fan that doesn't already know their backstory and signifigance can go to a store and buy the game they originated in to learn more. Which is more appealing a strategy?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
RagnarokX said:
She kicked DK...

Doesn't she use a down+B or something? Seems like a regular attack.

No no no! Not the sparkly bits. There's a very faint blue curve, appearing just behind Donkey Kong.

Look:

mysteryFX_without.jpg

mysteryFX.jpg

Either there's some sort of rippling effect coming from Samus, or she's sped through Donkey Kong in a similar way to Fox/Falco's move. I dunno. But it looks odd to me. Certainly way too fancy for a plain old kick attack (even if you look at just the sparks it seems too much for just one low sweeping kick.)

See, TheOneGuy knew what I was on about:

Actually, he's talking about the large blue moon-shaped wave to the left of DK, not the little shine between DK and Samus.

Firestorm

FlightOfHeaven said:
Pretty sure Sakurai is trying to avoid clones this time. Will they still happen? Maybe. But I get the impression he's avoid them as much as he can.

That said, Marth may still be in if Ike plays like Roy did; the slightly slower, slightly stronger swordsman.

Roy was both slower and weaker.

Anyway, splitting it up into two updates? What a cop-out =(

I found this hilarious though:

This stage represents the Fire Emblem world.

It’s an enemy castle in the midst of battle—but it’s not set in a particular castle, nor is it from a particular game in the series.

There are plenty of scenes like this throughout the Fire Emblem series, aren’t there? So imagine it however you choose.

It's like he's trying tell everyone to shut the hell up and stop looking over every pixel of that flag from the trialer XD

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I just don't see them cramming two different blue haired fire emblem princes into the same game, the two characters would just look way too similar.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
SovanJedi said:
No no no! Not the sparkly bits. There's a very faint blue curve, appearing just behind Donkey Kong.

Look:

mysteryFX_without.jpg

mysteryFX.jpg

Either there's some sort of rippling effect coming from Samus, or she's sped through Donkey Kong in a similar way to Fox/Falco's move. I dunno. But it looks odd to me. Certainly way too fancy for a plain old kick attack (even if you look at just the sparks it seems too much for just one low sweeping kick.)

See, TheOneGuy knew what I was on about:

I see. Good find. Its definitely a kick move with her leg positioned like that. It would be crazy (cool) if all of her attacks did that.

Jiggy

A Link to the Snitch said:
Damn.

The way people were talking at first, I thought it was the Underground in Pokémon. :S
You know, that would be an awesome Adventure Mode level in the vein of the Zelda underground in SSBM, but for multiplayer I don't see it working. The traps would make it unpredictable, yes, but unless it was an enormous level you wouldn't get a sense of the depth and size and twists and turns of the Sinnoh underground.

Scribble

Shig said:
The difference that you can't seem to get through your head is that Cloud, Simon, and Alucard appeared in installments in their respective series that were released worldwide.

The choice is between putting in a character that only one country (which isn't even Smash Bros.' strongest market, btw) will have contextual access to, or putting in a character that every country will have contextual access to. In the former, Nintendo has to tell every other territory to just take their word that he's a big deal. In the latter, they can say that they appeared in FE[X] and every fan that doesn't already know their backstory and signifigance can go to a store and buy the game they originated in to learn more. Which is more appealing a strategy?

Oh, a new argument now? Before, you were saying that Marth wasn't significant enough and that Marth, Sigurd and Ike would be similar. Wrong and Wrong, as it's been proven. The fact that Marth hasn't been in the series for 15 years and they decided to put him in Melee kind of proves the fact that he's significant. Oh, and if Sigurd being in Melee instead of Roy is true, that proves Sigurd's significance, too.

No matter what other major character they put in, Western audiences wouldn't recognise them. Oh, wait...are you suggesting that they bring back Roy? Or perhaps another character for PoR? Yes, let's ignore the rich history of the series, and put some random lord in just for "variety's sake" and disservice the Japanese fanbase, who have been following the series since the NES.

This is Smash Bros. Looks don't necessarily matter as much as recognition. I don't look at Luigi and go "ooer, he looks like Mario, so he should be dropped". People recognise these characters.

As for the whole business strategy thing, Fire Emblem has only JUST been opened up to the west. Putting past characters in would educate the audience about the history of the series, and if we're going to get more Fire Emblems from now on, remakes of Marth and Sigurd's adventures wouldn't be out of the question, considering new things like Virtual Console, WiiWare, and the popularity of the DS. Guaranteed success with both Eastern and Western audiences.

So what if their hair is blue? That really sounds quite ridiculous.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Gekkonidae said:
I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I just don't see them cramming two different blue haired fire emblem princes into the same game, the two characters would just look way too similar.

Peach and Zelda look very similar too, from a distance - blond-haired princesses garbed in regal robes and long pink dresses.

Of course you could say that Zelda will be more distinct with the slightly darker hair... but then, why can't Marth have such a cosmetic change?

I'm fairly certain Ike was mostly put in as an updated Marth skin. He probably has a very similar play style, with a few changes here and there just like a lot of the returning characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom