• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

PLEASE, somebody answer this:

Why do people keep saying 3.5GB for the OS? 1GB is extra for developers!

Because nobody knows exactly what the restrictions are for the "flexible" 1 gb. 4.5-5.5 vs 5 for the xbox.Either way PS4 games will have just a bit more, or a bit less, not the 2 gigs more that was assumed.

Schrade

Uhoh.. thuway is being interview by Stephen Totilo now...

Not really.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/360905664480038912
BQIxyikCUAA1z2N.jpg

VanWinkle

Because nobody knows exactly what the restrictions are for the "flexible" 1 gb. 4.5-5.5 vs 5 for the xbox.Either way PS4 games will have just a bit more, or a bit less, not the 2 gigs more that was assumed.

Fair, but I thought the biggest advantage people tout was the fact that the RAM was way faster, not that there was more?

Uh actually no, I won't be. I know how these things work.

I was simply pointing out that using expensive ultra high spec RAM for an OS is a terrible mismanagement of resources.

Do you disagree?

If you really know how this works, then you should know that having diferent types of ram would imply a huge expense on the hardware.

And if you know as much as you say you do, enlighten us. Don't sit there and say "O know, I know"

GodofWine

Just feels like I'm going to pay for a bunch of useless features since the OS needs so much damn RAM. which could have been given to games instead, and I do believe that it will affect the exclusives in the future, I just don't know by how much, if at all. Anyway, just have a temporary FUD here lol.

You could pay 100 more for an xbox and get less of everything, and a camera if you'd like.

1. We don't know if this is true
2. We mostly have no idea what we are talking about
3. We forget to put into perspective games like KZ2 and 3 and Uncharted and Borderlands and GTA are running on a few hundred MB of slower RAM and a massively slower cpu/gpu...think about this
4. I forgot my #4
5. 5.5gb of gddr5 is pretty awesome

PLEASE, somebody answer this:

Why do people keep saying 3.5GB for the OS? 1GB is extra for developers!

The people saying 3.5gb for OS have the reading comprehension of a gerbil. That is why.

Thuway (et al.) have been very patient with the thread, but if people would just pay attention to them, 90% of this thread probably would be useless.

This is trolling on a massive level.

Alej

Banned

Two gigs more wouldn't have been used by multiplatform games...
So what? You have two gigs more, but no third party is using it and the competition has a better OS with better features?
Two gigs more can be two gigs less, depending of what you want and what is essential.

HyperV

Banned
MS came out pre-E3 and right from the off, said that the XB1 was not just about the games, but also about:

"TV! TV! TV! TV! SPORTS! TV! SPORTS!".

And, they threw the gamers a bone, "CALL OF DUTY DOG!"

The response? They were panned for allocating hardware resources to something other then games. Personally I'd thought it was a smart move. Still do, I've had my XB1 on pre-order for months. I want more than a games machine sitting under my TV for next-gen.

Now, Sony (wisely I'd say) are doing the same - allocating hardware and memory so the PS4 too can (potentially) do:

"TV! TV! TV! TV! SPORTS! TV! SPORTS!"

....and anything else that becomes popular over the lifetime of the console.

The response? A near-collective shrug of the shoulders and "No big deal, nothing has changed here."

That's.....interesting.

If Sony are guilty of anything, its not coming out before now and telling people that its not just about the games for PS4. Either way. 5 to 5.5Gb of RAM should be enough for some decent games, regardless of what console you buy.

It also means that Sony can now go toe-to-toe with MS for the non-game features. That's good, for everyone. Nothing wrong with competition.

Why is it okay that they are tying up that amount of RAM just in case? Just in case what? In case they want to make it the Xbox One II?

If that's what they wanted to do then that's the machine they should have made, with all the capabilities right from the start, ala the Xbox One. Not claim games, games, games, then give this to the public. That seems a bit disingenuous.

They don't have enough engineers to come up with new software ideas? They have to wait and see what Nintendo and MS comes with first? That's BS.

Nobody even know is this is even true, to begin with. DF already failed on a PS4 feature this week...

Corto

Uh actually no, I won't be. I know how these things work.

I was simply pointing out that using expensive ultra high spec RAM for an OS is a terrible mismanagement of resources.

Do you disagree?

They have decided for a unified memory pool. The benefits of that decision in terms of game development streamlining outweigh what you refer to as resource mismanagement from using GDDR5.

glenn8

Banned
You could pay 100 more for an xbox and get less of everything, and a camera if you'd like.

1. We don't know if this is true
2. We mostly have no idea what we are talking about
3. We forget to put into perspective games like KZ2 and 3 and Uncharted and Borderlands and GTA are running on a few hundred MB of slower RAM and a massively slower cpu/gpu...think about this
4. I forgot my #4
5. 5.5gb of gddr5 is pretty awesome

he gets a lot more from the os and the same from gaming excluding exclusives only the price makes a difference

gruenel

Can you explain this? I've been at work so I haven't been following this thread too much.

Basically they said the RAM they have is more than enough and this discussion is blown way out of proportion. Without explicitly mentioning if the rumors are true.

I can't find the links to the tweets right now, sorry, it's really hard navigate/keep up with this thread and twitter, lol.

i-Lo

Nothing confirmed, however Octodad & ND dev tweets make it sound like it's true (and a complete non-issue).

Imagine what if Sony never upgraded the ram and allotted around 2GB just for games (according to the original pastebin and vgleaks rumours). Perhaps they'd have absolutely relished the challenge then.

Perhaps they ought to only develop for PS3 then given:

a) Specs don't influence the quality of the game (why did we ever progress from 8-bit...)
b) What better challenge is there than to extract even more performance from an obsolete system?

Seriously however, after all the bitching from the devs about lack of ram, sequestering such large amount is now apparently of no consequence. Makes me question when, for these devs, does the cost outweigh the benefits...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Most graphics cards only use 2GB or 3GB. That's for around the same price as a PS4, which still has more overall. Then there's the fact that few games actually use a lot of GDDR5.

Being disappointed about that is ridiculous.

Your not getting it, why would I choose a PS4 over a PC aside from Sony Exclusives I don't care about? I was hoping that if I bought a PS4 it would be shortly smoked by a PC costing the same amount in a years time. Sure random won't have a performance advantage but it would help in the creation and development of certain kinds of games e.g open world games. Now if the PS4 is simply not all that much better than current gaming pc's my hopes for improvements in those sorts of games diminishes.

I know, I wish they'd designed the system with a small pool of DD3 for OS and multitasking from the beginning and reserved GDDR5 for games only.

Wouldn't happen without a big hit on the price of the console. They would need to have a motherboard with bigger system bus bandwith, so the information that would be traded between the 2 memory modules wouldn't be clogged, afecting the speed of the entire system

EagleEyes

Not just 3x more ram bandwidth, but also 50% more GPU performance.

Devs have access to 5.5GB including the 1GB additional flexible reserve. Not 4.5GB.
Its not 3x more bandwidth. Its only that if you are excluding the eSRAM and the latest rumor from DF is that output has increased during peak performance by 88%. Don't know if its all true but no one has denied it yet and the article still stands.

zeopower6

Your not getting it, why would I choose a PS4 over a PC aside from Sony Exclusives I don't care about? I was hoping that if I bought a PS4 it would be shortly smoked by a PC costing the same amount in a years time. Sure random won't have a performance advantage but it would help in the creation and development of certain kinds of games e.g open world games. Now if the PS4 is simply not all that much better than current gaming pc's my hopes for improvements in those sorts of games diminishes.

So... you weren't really planning on buying a PS4 at all?

amr

Banned
MS came out pre-E3 and right from the off, said that the XB1 was not just about the games, but also about:

The response? They were panned for allocating hardware resources to something other then games. Personally I'd thought it was a smart move. Still do, I've had my XB1 on pre-order for months. I want more than a games machine sitting under my TV for next-gen.

Now, Sony (wisely I'd say) are doing the same - allocating hardware and memory so the PS4 too can (potentially) do:

The response? A near-collective shrug of the shoulders and "No big deal, nothing has changed here."

That's.....interesting.

If Sony are guilty of anything, its not coming out before now and telling people that its not just about the games for PS4. Either way. 5 to 5.5Gb of RAM should be enough for some decent games, regardless of what console you buy.

It also means that Sony can now go toe-to-toe with MS for the non-game features. That's good, for everyone. Nothing wrong with competition.
Hey Youngblood. Found one.

Dude high end cards already are better and in 2 years will smoke ps4 no matter how much RAM it had. If you arent interested in console gaming then the ps4 was never going to replace a good pc

B_Boss

Speaking of features to be used by the OS, does anyone know if Cross Audio or 'Custom Soundtracks' will be possible on the PS4? I have been wondering this for the longest time. Surely one would assume that it is beyond possible on the PS4 (especially given that I've heard from multiple sources that it is possible on the Vita).

But any console wasn't going to be a improvement over a high end pc. Happend last gen. Still, the games coming out on PC will be ports of consoles games, therefore, being limited by the limitations of the consoles.
Everyone knew this years ago

Story seems to check out with a few sources though. I'm not saying it's true or false, but everything is pointing to it being true.
The shinobi post where he talked a little more about how the ram is being split made sense at least.

heckfu

Banned
I would add my 2 cents, but I'm drowning in double standards from PS defenders.

On the real, though, buy whatever system you want. No need to trash or sell other people on the one you choose.

Speaking of features to be used by the OS, does anyone know if Cross Audio or 'Custom Soundtracks' will be possible on the PS4? I have been wondering this for the longest time. Surely one would assume that it is beyond possible on the PS4 (especially given that I've heard from multiple sources that it is possible on the Vita).

That's up to developers

C-DubSP

Neo Member
So many of you arguing like this is fact now.

Just like DF had "facts" when they posted about the Xbone's clocks a few weeks ago.

For the sake of argument lets say it is true. At the end of the day is it really that big of a game changer? Not really, we still getting some kickass games regardless, and much ,much more we have yet to see. I for one remain unswayed either way.

GodofWine

he gets a lot more from the os and the same from gaming excluding exclusives only the price makes a difference

This hasn't magically made the systems equals in power...it hasn't changed anything we knew about theoretical system performance.

And yes, he'll have ads on his dashboard, so I guess that's more

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Dude high end cards already are better and in 2 years will smoke ps4 no matter how much RAM it had. If you arent interested in console gaming then the ps4 was never going to replace a good pc

Of course but I'm talking about longevity. That's a circular argument, if the PS4 was overall a fair bit weaker than it is now you could make the same argument. I'm talking about my personal advantages in investing in a PS4 now or simply use the money to buy a high end pc simply say a year later rather than 2.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I would add my 2 cents, but I'm drowning in double standards from PS defenders.

On the real, though, buy whatever system you want. No need to trash or sell other people on the one you choose.

You ain't getting off that easy bruh. If you got something to say, then say it. Don't try to call out people and fall back.

Story seems to check out with a few sources though. I'm not saying it's true or false, but everything is pointing to it being true.
The shinobi post where he talked a little more about how the ram is being split made sense at least.

And yet one source say one thing, and another source says another...

Yeah it's not confirmed, but most rumblings are making the whole thing seem likely.

VanWinkle

That's.....interesting.

Man, how much more wrong could you be? People made fun of a worthless and pathetic way to reveal a console. Nothing more. People didn't make fun of the amount of RAM allocated to the OS. I don't even know if people knew about the amount of RAM allocated to the OS at that time. We don't know WHAT Sony is going to use that 2.5GB RAM for specifically. We haven't heard "TV"; we haven't heard "SPORTS", and it certainly wasn't revealed as being a big focus for the console.

You are reading into things that are not there.

Top Bottom