• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

gruenel

The XboneONE does record to the HDD, it was said by MS. Thus, I don't see why the PS4 would do any different.

Yeah, X1 does it. Doesn't mean that it won't have an effect on loading times/streaming speed though. But what do I know, I'm only speculating on why using GDDR5 for game DVR might have an advantage :)

Here's what I want. A PS4 with a 0.5 gb OS. The remaining 7.5 gb is for games.

I WANT
Jeremy%20Power%20Clarkson_thumb%5B8%5D.jpg

I almost wished for a faster XMB, current one uses 50 megs anyway, add some extra functions like x game chat, multitasking, and XMB 2.0 wouldn't use more than 0.5GB. Make it a bit more interactive, reserve 'nother 1GB for future proofing et voila!

But this isn't really thinking ahead, the OS would be always limited to 1.5GB. Reserving 3GB to the OS from the get go is better future proofing. I don't believe ram will be a bottleneck for the next 2-3 years. In the meantime the OS footprint will shrink down through optimizations and more resources will become available to games. So I say lets see how creative devs will make use of only 5 gigs, and then compare it a few years later when games use 6-6.5GB ram.

Pick up an iPhone and see how much is used for the OS, You'll be suprised

So true. My S3 was a 16GB and I only had 12GB left just to use. After I rooted it, I had 14 to use. OS clogging up systems are not new.

It funny how people mention the Wii U having just 1GB dedicated to its OS, and look how that is working out. Every week there's a new optimization update for how sluggish it is. I can see Sony starting off big to make sure they are safe, but chopping off resources one by one once they've fully optimize it for much better usage.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Is that supposed to be a positive comment or a negative comment? It's a phone that has a small amount of ram anyway of course the OS will use a large percentage of it (they're not technical wizards, considering all the stuff a phone OS does in comparison to memory size). It's not remotely surprising it uses a lot. Your computer's OS (which will likely do a heck of a lot more than the PS4 will do) can manage just fine on much less.

I'm with the truth speaking bird and that famous chap on this.

And the clearest aspect to take away from all this is don't make assumptions about things you're not privy to.

Alebrije

No they have a few more left, but it is true that they'd have fewer advantages.

Sony's remaining advantages are the fact that its GPU is ~ 50% faster than the X1's, the GDDR5 ram is still much higher bandwidth and there is no small esram pool to mess with.
In addition, PS+ is a great value and they have the public mind share as well.

Also :

PS4 is cheaper
Sony has more and better FP studios.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You're the best Wynn.

Seriously people, calm down. The PS4 is fine

I do it all for you <3.

Seriously though, in the tech aspect, we'll be arguing about this for the entire generation but to Joe Schmuck getting one on launch day, he could care less as long as the games look great.

fallagin

This isnt exactly a death sentence. Ps3 used about 100 MB for os at the start of the gen but they eventually reduced the amount to about 30 MB. Both sony and microsoft can lower the amount for os whenever. The thing they CANNOT do is raise the amount for OS at any time because they cannot interfere with how the games run. Its basically a safety buffer just in case they want to add new features at some point to the os. Both consoles will likely be trimmed down to the minimum at some point during their lifecycles.

Okay, I want to throw out a challeng, here. To all the people that are rebutting the gross overreaction occurring here, I'd like you to find five unique posters that are legitimately making a big deal out of this over the course of the last 500 posts. If you find that this is an easy task, then I shut up and say carry on. If you find this more difficult than you had originally surmised, then perhaps consider cooling it with the "OMG, hyperbole everywhere! Calm down people!" posts.

Alej

Banned
So this must be why Ps4 has no 60 fps games...

No. It's a choice, it's always a choice.
PS4 is powerful, but even if it wasn't it could do 1080p/60fps! Hell, PS3 can do that too.
4.5GB available is just double the average PC game. And when you see that it has superior bandwith with "almost the same" latency than X1 (that seems to have a lot more 60fps games) or even "average" PC (superior architecture here), you can't see this RAM as something not powerful enough for next gen.

And you know, OS will probably be only 2GB in a year or two. They keep options open, it's just that, and it is a smarter approach than PS3 was. But heck, 8GB GDDR5 hasn't vanished, it is here, and it will be used. And you will love it.

Less resources for games means less focus on games. It's not complicated. I haven't really been interested in the PS4 from the start even though I like the way Sony is behaving. The console and games aren't doing anything for me.
Right.

The PS4 is no longer focused on games now that we know it has a paltry 4.5-5.5 GB (and possibly more once they learn to optimize their OS) dedicated for them. Everything they've shown us up until now is a lie. Not like the developers who are working on PS4 titles did not know these details already nor have they created compelling experiences on current gen systems with way less RAM or anything like that. Glad to see that everything is as cut-and-dry as "less resources = less focus".

p3tran

Banned
Indeed, when many digital foundry comparisons are out showing big performance differences, showing a clear pattern it will be pretty much cut and dry that going for a more powerful console was the best idea for Sony.

I dont think they really "went for a more powerful console"

I think its more like some dudes in another office decided that it was a great idea to cut out a piece of the gpu in order to fit there some hdmi input and tv bull

eorl

Banned
PLEASE, somebody answer this:

Why do people keep saying 3.5GB for the OS? 1GB is extra for developers!
There is currently 4.5GB of GDDR5 RAM directly open for developers to use as they will when coding a game. There is also reportedly 1GB of that 8GB RAM floating around not currently being used, which developers can utilise to code, though only application debug code can go in there apparently.

The console still has 8GB of GDDR5, its just that the perception that 7GB of it would be for games is now up in the air. Remember though, this is all just speculation at this moment.

TrounceX

Uh actually no, I won't be. I know how these things work.

I was simply pointing out that using expensive ultra high spec RAM for an OS is a terrible mismanagement of resources.

Do you disagree?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Honestly it is very disappointing if true. 7-6gb GDDR5 was the main advantage a PS4 had over a high-top end gaming pc, and this is before the machine has even launched.
In a years time from launch the PS4 would simply be outdated tech clinging onto it's closed environment to stay on par but likely fairly behind gaming pc's. Even more so than the Xbox and PS3 were in their time.

If true honestly makes me want to buy it even less and stick to a gaming pc.

VanWinkle

Honestly it is very disappointing if true. 7-6gb GDDR5 was the main advantage a PS4 had over a high-top end gaming pc, and this is before the machine has even launched.
In a years time from launch the PS4 would simply be outdated tech clinging onto it's closed environment to stay on par but likely fairly behind gaming pc's. Even more so than the Xbox and PS3 were in their time.

5.5GB isn't really that much smaller than 6GB.

Nothing confirmed, however Octodad & ND dev tweets make it sound like it's true (and a complete non-issue).

Can you explain this? I've been at work so I haven't been following this thread too much.

Alej

Banned
however that would work, pretty much this

If you do that, you make things more complex. CPU has to access the two pools, GPU too... While having unified access to the GDDR5.

The solution would have been to have another little APU in that, and a grill and maybe a Swiss Knife in there too. So it only does everything!

8GB GDDR5 is future-proof (8GB DDR3 too btw), you can expect a lot of fantastic features in the years to come! And everyone will attempt to squeeze the most of that RAM. It's not 512MB splitted (or not) all over again, it's flexible, it's fast, and it's gargantuan.

News Bot

Banned

Most graphics cards only use 2GB or 3GB. That's for around the same price as a PS4, which still has more overall. Then there's the fact that few games actually use a lot of GDDR5.

Being disappointed about that is ridiculous.

Okay, I want to throw out a challeng, here. To all the people that are rebutting the gross overreaction occurring here, I'd like you to find five unique posters that are legitimately making a big deal out of this over the course of the last 500 posts. If you find that this is an easy task, then I shut up and say carry on. If you find this more difficult than you had originally surmised, then perhaps consider cooling it with the "OMG, hyperbole everywhere! Calm down people!" posts.
It's increasingly hard to tell who's being serious at this point. But there is without a doubt a huge sense of FUD being spread thats clearly misaligned with the actual implications.

Top Bottom