• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Amir0x

Banned
Ninja Dom said:
Ooooh if that Earthbound came out....Kiss goodbye another 6 months of my life...

6 months? What would you be doing with Earthbound, exactly? Sex0ring the controller every night?

I beat Earthbound so quickly, but I'm down to playing it once or twice a year now... I can't wait for it on VC.

JSnake

I just downloaded Shining Force. Never played this awesome game. :D

I also got 2,000 more points for Super Metroid and Earthbound. Yippee!

ethelred

Vyse The Legend said:
So, Shining in the Darkness, that TG16 game, and Metroid on Monday, right?

Hopefully, Landstalker and Super Metroid are coming the week after.

Nope. We need Breath of Fire II in there, too.

JSnake said:
I just downloaded Shining Force. Never played this awesome game. :D

I also got 2,000 more points for Super Metroid and Earthbound. Yippee!

Now you must begin sacrificing small animals (eventually working your way up to socially outcasted hobos) so that we get Shining Force's much superior sequel on VC.

Jiggy37 said:
It practically defiles the names of Yoshi's Island and Kirby Super Star to be in the same list as their N64 sequels. :(

Well, it's the N64... what do you expect? It defiles most things. :/

mcgarrett said:
I don't think you quite grasp the amount of titles that were released for these systems -- see this SNES list for example. At three titles a week, times 52 weeks, that's an average of 156 titles a year. Even if they were releasing SNES games exclusively, at that rate it would still take five years to get them all out.

We're referring to the titles that Nintendo themselves released.

Capndrake said:
OFLC update:

STREETS OF RAGE 3 Computer Games
Multi Plat.. PG 09/08/2007

4xosv42.gif

I want this!

TJ Spyke

Vyse The Legend said:

What was the point of this post? You make it, I answer you, then you make the exact same post again 20 minutes later? The answer is still no. SITD has not been confirmed for Monday. Only Cratermaze and Metroid have been confirmed.

Yoshi's Story was a decent sequel to Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards was a very good game.

ethelred

TJ Spyke said:
What was the point of this post? You make it, I answer you, then you make the exact same post again 20 minutes later? The answer is still no. SITD has not been confirmed for Monday. Only Cratermaze and Metroid have been confirmed.

Relax yourself. It was a double post made from my cell phone.

No need to cry about it.

<3 You're my new favorite poster.

TJ Spyke

I'm not crying. But the fact that the posts are over 20 minutes apart seems a little ridiculous, unless you have the slowest cell phone in the world.

TJ Spyke said:
I'm not crying. But the fact that the posts are over 20 minutes apart seems a little ridiculous, unless you have the slowest cell phone in the world.

Edit: Eh, some people lack a funny bone. Next time, exercise common sense. Why would someone post the same exact post word-for-word unless it was a mistake?

Anywho, the coming weeks on the VC frighten me. Way too many good games coming. It seems Nintendo is aiming to mirror the Fall rush on the virtual console, also.

TJ Spyke

Talk about a lack of maturity.

Getting back on topic since Vyse veered it off, Metroid is not really worth it IMO. I played the original NES cart, and the versions on Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Prime, the game has not aged well.

TJ Spyke said:
Talk about a lack of maturity.

Getting back on topic since Vyse veered it off, Metroid is not really worth it IMO. I played the original NES cart, and the versions on Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Prime, the game has not aged well.

I think a lot of people, yours truly included, agree to that. It's just going up for completion's sake.

Though I can't help but be reminded yet again right now of how triumphant a remake Zero Mission was. Maybe not as huge in scale as Super Metroid, but lovingly crafted in its own ways. Please, please Nintendo, let NST or whoever have a go at it with a new 2d DS Metroid.

Guy Legend

I really hope we see more third party games showing up for the various consoles. There's just so many great games that could be added....

ethelred

Guy Legend said:
I really hope we see more third party games showing up for the various consoles. There's just so many great games that could be added....

Most of the games on the Virtual Console are third party. Actually, in looking over the US list, a full 70% of the games on here are from companies other than Nintendo.

TJ Spyke

I think he means actual third party (meaning Genesis games that are not from Sega and TurboGrafx-16 games that are not from Hudson Soft). There has not been a single third party Genesis game and only 11 third party TG16 games.

Jiggy

ethelred said:
Now you must begin sacrificing small animals (eventually working your way up to socially outcasted hobos) so that we get Shining Force's much superior sequel on VC.
A couple days ago I checked a video of SFII on YouTube. The leap in sound quality and composition quality alone is staggering, never mind the faster battles and movement and basically everything about it.
Incredible stuff. I can't think of many series that improved that much with just one sequel.

Well, it's the N64... what do you expect? It defiles most things. :/
This is true. Poor Zelda. And Mario. And... yeah, you're right, most things.

Come to think of it, even when it hosted games that people really liked, most of the time it still cursed them in some way by creating high expectations for the future--when in reality it was either the last those games would ever be seen anywhere or just the last good series entry. Star Fox 64, Mischief Makers, Ogre Battle 64, AKI wrestling games, Goldeneye (and the James Bond license in general), Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps... Popular games and cult hits alike saw their swan songs on N64.

Blah.

Slavik81 said:
Does Super Metroid have multiple save files?

Yes, sir.

I think he means actual third party (meaning Genesis games that are not from Sega and TurboGrafx-16 games that are not from Hudson Soft). There has not been a single third party Genesis game and only 11 third party TG16 games.

That is particularly disheartening.

Slavik81

Vyse The Legend said:
Yes, sir.
Sweet. I played just enough Super Metroid when I was a kid to know that the game is awesome... But I only ever played it at a friend's house.

I'm kind of debating whether or not I should buy it, since my vague memories of crazy exploration, a wicked-awesome dash and a colourful final boss battle are too good for any game to live up to.

But with 3 save files, myself and my brothers each get a chance to play the game, so it might be worth it anyways.

Alright, I tried to play Wave Race - Blue Storm after playing Wave Race 64 on the Virtual Console. Why is it that the sequel is much harder to control? Its like the jet skis flop over waves, making any kind of turning ability, well, non-existant.

ethelred

TJ Spyke said:
I think he means actual third party (meaning Genesis games that are not from Sega and TurboGrafx-16 games that are not from Hudson Soft). There has not been a single third party Genesis game...

That's not such a bad thing. I mean, there are a few third party Genesis games I want... mostly some Konami stuff and Warsong (which we'll never see on VC). But let's not kid ourselves, mostly all of the best games on the Genesis were Sega published. So it's definitely better for that cream of the crop to be exhausted first.

The important thing is that they're still third party games -- we're still seeing non-Nintendo games, which is key. I'm not concerned about Sega dominating the Virtual Console; my initial concern was that Nintendo would just flood it with their own games and we'd see little from other publishers (basically I expected it to be the same 70/30 split we see now, just in Nintendo's favor rather than the other way around). I'm happy with how things are shaking out.

TJ Spyke said:
... and only 11 third party TG16 games.

You say that like that's not a significant percentage of the TG16 releases.

Jiggy37 said:
A couple days ago I checked a video of SFII on YouTube. The leap in sound quality and composition quality alone is staggering, never mind the faster battles and movement and basically everything about it.
Incredible stuff. I can't think of many series that improved that much with just one sequel.

Yup yup yup. Shining Force II is a huge leap forward over Shining Force in just about every respect -- better visuals, better artwork, better animation, better music, better story, better characters (sans the regrettable exclusion of Domingo), more characters, more secrets, the free world map movement, much bigger world/game, etc. Really fantastic game. Anyone who was pleasantly surprised by Shining Force is going to shit themselves happy when they get the sequel.

If they're planning on releasing new games for the next 5 years, it seems to me they're releasing the big titles TOO fast.

Anyone think the US will be seeing new consoles added to the lineup? The new Shop format has obvious space for it.

ethelred said:
Most of the games on the Virtual Console are third party. Actually, in looking over the US list, a full 70% of the games on here are from companies other than Nintendo.

Now how many of that 70% are from Hudson? :lol

Sharp

Slavik81 said:
Sweet. I played just enough Super Metroid when I was a kid to know that the game is awesome... But I only ever played it at a friend's house.

I'm kind of debating whether or not I should buy it, since my vague memories of crazy exploration, a wicked-awesome dash and a colourful final boss battle are too good for any game to live up to.

But with 3 save files, myself and my brothers each get a chance to play the game, so it might be worth it anyways.
Don't worry, while your memories are too good for any normal game to live up to, Super Metroid will handle the job just fine.

TJ Spyke

The breakdown (for North America) based on the 127 games released so far:

Nintendo (includes HAL Laboratory, which is now a first party studio)- 29.13%
Tecmo- 3.15%
Konami- 4.72%
Namco Bandai- 6.3%
Square Enix (includes Taito, which is owned by SE)- 2.36%
Hudson Soft- 20.47%
Capcom- 3.15%
Irem- 2.36%
Koei- 0.79%
Sega- 22.83%
Natsume- 0.79%
G-mode- 2.36%

Yes I realize that adds up to about 98%, but that's because these numbers aren't even.

i downloaded Galaga '90 last night, and i'm having a lot of fun with it. plus its so nice playing galaga with a precise d-pad instead of a broken joystick at the arcade.
it and Air Zonk have been taking up my gaming time the past couple of days.
damn turbo had a lot of great shooters.

ethelred

TJ Spyke said:
Yes I realize that adds up to about 98%, but that's because these numbers aren't even.

Or it's because you're missing something.

Rounding errors aren't usually going to put you off by a whole 2%.

TJ Spyke said:
Square Enix (includes Taito, which is owned by SE)- 2.36%

But Konami owns Hudson, and you're listing them separately.

ethelred said:
Yup yup yup. Shining Force II is a huge leap forward over Shining Force in just about every respect -- better visuals, better artwork, better animation, better music, better story, better characters (sans the regrettable exclusion of Domingo), more characters, more secrets, the free world map movement, much bigger world/game, etc. Really fantastic game. Anyone who was pleasantly surprised by Shining Force is going to shit themselves happy when they get the sequel.

Eh he was broken anyway. I mean he's a flying character that can cast spells! Most of the enemies in the game can't even touch him. I'll take the much improved character/enemy balance in SFII over it.

Shame about the lack of third-party Genesis stuff but when you consider that most of the Genesis's third parties are now defunct it makes a bit of sense. That said I think Konami's Genesis stuff will make an appearance eventually. As Contra DS nears close I think they'll throw Hard Corps up(not sure about Bloodlines and Rocket Knight though).

Course then again have there been any weeks where there hasn't been a Genesis game released? I mean hell Sega has the most games on the VC and they're only supporting one system.(Talking about North America of course)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ethelred said:
That's not such a bad thing. I mean, there are a few third party Genesis games I want... mostly some Konami stuff and Warsong (which we'll never see on VC). But let's not kid ourselves, mostly all of the best games on the Genesis were Sega published. So it's definitely better for that cream of the crop to be exhausted first.

The important thing is that they're still third party games -- we're still seeing non-Nintendo games, which is key. I'm not concerned about Sega dominating the Virtual Console; my initial concern was that Nintendo would just flood it with their own games and we'd see little from other publishers (basically I expected it to be the same 70/30 split we see now, just in Nintendo's favor rather than the other way around). I'm happy with how things are shaking out.
I'm sure the split is 70/30 in Nintendo's favour in the only way they care about. :lol

Somnid

The flow of good games will not last for 5 years, there's not enough of them despite what some of you may think. NES might have 700+ games but only a small fraction are worth picking-up (we're talking fewer than 10%). By this time next year the barrel will be bloody with scraped knuckles, other systems will have to step up and fill the gaps.

Fuzzy

Somnid said:
The flow of good games will not last for 5 years, there's not enough of them despite what some of you may think. NES might have 700+ games but only a small fraction are worth picking-up (we're talking fewer than 10%). By this time next year the barrel will be bloody with scraped knuckles, other systems will have to step up and fill the gaps.
That's what the Wii Ware games are for...

ethelred

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Eh he was broken anyway. I mean he's a flying character that can cast spells! Most of the enemies in the game can't even touch him. I'll take the much improved character/enemy balance in SFII over it.

Domingo was awesome. And while on the whole the balance was much improved in Shining Force II, it's not like that game didn't have its share of extremely powerful characters -- I'd say Peter's roughly as unbalanced as Domingo is, just without the whole coolness flair.

Fuzzy said:
I'm sure the split is 70/30 in Nintendo's favour in the only way they care about. :lol

I don't care how stuff's selling as long as I get the games I want!

Somnid said:

Well, I think your mistake is in believing that the not worthwhile games aren't going to be included to dilute the releases of the quality games. The availability of Baseball, Tennis, Urban Champion, and Donkey Kong Jr. Math says otherwise, however.

Seriously, though, with all the quality games across the SNES, NES, and Genesis and the handful of remaining quality N64 games (TG16 seems to be pretty close to its end), and with all the subpar games that are going to have releases interspersed, I don't think there's going to be a problem with the service becoming exhausted any time soon. I took a look at some game lists and I was able to come up with well over a hundred more quality games just for those systems. And NeoGeo should be up this year. The flow won't last 5 years, but I don't think it needs to.

Edit: All that being said, though, I'd really like to see Game Boy and Game Boy Color games available.

Hero

Super Metroid for the win. My cartridge still works but I'll be damned if I don't want it on my Wii.

Also, I want to restate the fact that they need to do a Zero Mission remake of Metroid II.

Hey guys PS Super Metroid has a button config option so that right there instantly makes it totally workable with a Gamecube controller.

It's funny - I think thirteen years is the absolute longest any Nintnedo game on this ginormous of a pedastal has gone without a rerelease of any kind. Ordinarily I'm sort of inclined to laugh at what a wonderful moneymaking thing Nintendo's got going here what with people being so excited to give them another eight bucks for something they already own, but hey. Really good game.

Still wondering when the hell Bubble Bobble's coming ITT, and good lord does Prime 3 look like shit. PPS Nintendo when you finally decide to go full tilt "it is an exciting blockbuster GET BEHIND THE VISOR thrill ride!!!" it starts drawing unwanted attention to your otherwise quaint we-don't-need-no-hi-def mentality and you end up turning Gunpei into sub-par Halo. (and hell if I'd ever buy an HD set)

Fuzzy

Ethoscapade said:
Hey guys PS Super Metroid has a button config option so that right there instantly makes it totally workable with a Gamecube controller.
That was never going to be the problem playing Super Metroid with a GCN conttroller, shinesparking will be harder with the shitty d-pad.

mclem

Okay, I'd like a request for recommendations:

I want to play a shmup, so almost definitely the TG16 is the place to go. I'm not great at those games, but enjoy them (To put it into perspective: Axelay's about the toughest I've ever completed, and it's not really difficult), so I don't want anything ludicrously challenging. I don't really care about graphical quality, as long as the gameplay is up to scratch. I'm on the EU system, but I think the lineup of TG16 titles is about equivalent between here and the US. Oh, and while it's no dealbreaker, I love good bosses.

Any suggestions?

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
mclem said:
Okay, I'd like a request for recommendations:

I want to play a shmup, so almost definitely the TG16 is the place to go. I'm not great at those games, but enjoy them (To put it into perspective: Axelay's about the toughest I've ever completed, and it's not really difficult), so I don't want anything ludicrously challenging. I don't really care about graphical quality, as long as the gameplay is up to scratch. I'm on the EU system, but I think the lineup of TG16 titles is about equivalent between here and the US. Oh, and while it's no dealbreaker, I love good bosses.

Any suggestions?

In this order from the 3 I've played:

Soldier Blade : This ones the best looking, and plays great, I'd put it's difficulty about Medium.

Blazing Lazers : Isn't as hot lokking as the other two, plays well, but it's seems to be a bit easy, blew through the first three levels on 1 life first time I played it.

Super Star Soldier: Second best looking one, the hardest of the bunch, it kicked my ass and took my name...

If you check out youtube someones made a bunch of minute long video's of most the T16 VC games, just do a search for say "Dead Moon" to get a better idea of what you'd be buying...

TJ Spyke said:
There has not been a single third party Genesis game and only 11 third party TG16 games.

But Sega is third party!

(hehe)

Anyhow, I've bought three VC games so far - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Kid Icarus, and Kirby's Adventure. I plan to buy Super Mario World, Paper Mario, Gradius, and Punch-Out!! soon.

Where the fuck are Mother and EarthBound?

Quick question; wasn't sure where to ask:

I recently got my Wii replaced and can't move my VC games from my SD card backups to the new Wii console.

Also, 200 points that I had on the old one are gone.

Is there a procedure for fixing this, or do I just have to get someone in customer service on the phone?

Battersea Power Station said:
Quick question; wasn't sure where to ask:

I recently got my Wii replaced and can't move my VC games from my SD card backups to the new Wii console.

Also, 200 points that I had on the old one are gone.

Is there a procedure for fixing this, or do I just have to get someone in customer service on the phone?

Replaced? By Nintendo or by a retailer?
If you got it replaced by the retailer, you might be in trouble... but if Nintendo replaced it and neglected to transfer over your VC titles, call em up and let em know the Club Nintendo account you were linked to and see if they can sort something out.

The reason your downloads don't work is because they are linked to the system they are downloaded on, at the moment you download them. Your right to download those games at will is also tied strictly to the console you downloaded them on. If you unlinked the old Wii from your shop account before you got it replaced, your account is as good as gone and your rights to download those games with it.

Bottom line, if something goes wrong with your Wii, only get a replacement via Nintendo. Every system is still under the minimum of a year warranty until later this year... by sending it in to them, they will transfer one account to the other and replace all your games.

If you didn't unlink your account, then your shop account is still active... if you took it to a retailer because it was broken and you fear you're gonna have to buy them all again, call Nintendo up and give them hell. Nowhere do they clearly state that the machine should only be sent to Nintendo in the event of defects... retailers, who are *their partners* don't make it clear either. In fact some of them encourage you go back to the shop, and sell you *their* warranties. If you give them enough bother (say you want to write and complain to someone at Chief Exec level if you have to) -- they'll probably cave in.

Tarazet

I want to finish up Paper Mario (fantastic game) to get ready for Super Metroid.. I only have one star left, and by the time I'm done with all the sidequests I should be ready to move on to SM.

Battersea Power Station said:
Yeah, it was officially replaced by Nintendo.

Did they replace *any* games? Perhaps they just saw the ones still on the system, not the ones on the SD card...

I'd personally just call them up and tell them they didn't transfer over your games when they replaced the system.

Top Bottom