• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

RK9039

Thanks, this is a great guide. I think I'm doing it right?

The most I tried was 3200x1800, I'll be trying other resolutions later. Skyrim was crushed, well below 30fps, but with the ENB turned off it runs smoothly

http://i.minus.com/imO23c3eliiS.jpg

Alice Madness Returns works well for the most part, but freezes every now and then. I think it's because of PhysX, I had it on medium.

http://i.minus.com/ibxppr82QYBIUE.jpg

Borderlands 2 works nicely, I had to bump a few things down like distance quality or w/e it's called.

http://i.minus.com/iBprkeWqSXY5K.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iAZOIjp8lJTc4.jpg

Ryu1999

Hey all,

So I have a GTX 680, and a Pioneer KRP-500m hooked up to my computer via HDMI, and it lets me set the scaling to GPU on both displays.

Before I hooked up the TV, downsampling was fine, but now in Clone mode, I'm not able to create any custom resolutions, and my previously created custom resolutions have been "erased". If I either disable the connection to the TV or change the display mode to "Extend", then the resolutions come back.

Any way to get this to work in Clone mode?

Damian.

Banned
Tag for clone mode question. I literally ran into this two days ago after I had been playing with downsampling on my computer monitor.

what exactly is it about AMDdownsamplingGUI that doesn't work with the new drivers? Because I have 13.6 Beta 2 and I successfully added custom resolutions through the program.

I tried to apply one and.. well.. it fucked up. Finally did get it fixed but it would glitch my screen up and then force a restart.

Decado

Did anyone figure out how to use downsampling to a resolution that is *lower* than your native res? I think this could be great for those who want larger fonts in certain games w/o losing much image quality. Would love to figure this out for strategy games and RPGs that I'd like to play in comfy couch mode.

jediyoshi

Did anyone figure out how to use downsampling to a resolution that is *lower* than your native res? I think this could be great for those who want larger fonts in certain games w/o losing much image quality. Would love to figure this out for strategy games and RPGs that I'd like to play in comfy couch mode.

Wouldn't work that way. AMD drivers already support a feature that let's you scale lower resolutions up to native, but image quality wise it's just then a toss up between whether that looks better than your monitor's internal scaler.

Sethos

Banned
Haha, looks like another resolution is joining the family

1vcoqv.png

Sethos

Banned
Not mentioning HOW is making me very sad. Tell us!

Special timings? Fairy dust? Titan exclusivity?

Surprisingly it's on automatic timings however at 30Hz, which performance wise isn't a problem as it's a screenshot resolution but being below 60Hz means I need to set it before entering a game and some games won't recognize it. SRWE Tool to the rescue then.

Actually being able to set your desktop resolution to that would solve a lot of problems I have with a few games.

Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Chivalry, Dark Souls (not so much a problem with DSFix) are all games that resize to my DESKTOP resolution in windowed mode (there are others as well). So being able to set it higher than 4K means I can get even higher windowed mode resolutions, regardless of being able to select that resolution in-game.

Can't wait to try that when I get home! Nice find, sir.

Ah you're lucky! My poor abused 2408wfp will have nothing to do with this resolution :(

Though... perhaps it is that I am not using dual-link dvi? I never ventured into figuring that stuff out, since 4k was working on my dvi, and dvi-hdmi cables.

A sidenote that some may find interesting:

Alot of AV people will moan about their TV handling 24p movies properly and all that yadda yadda, and they have a point. Most screens are stuck to 60hz, and thus use 3:2 pulldown for 24p content (most screens meaning most computer monitors and alot of TVs, but TVs have gotten better about it thanks to 120hz). With our EDID override tools, we can make a 24hz resolution, and then you will be able to have proper film like playback of your movies, if you watch any on your computer (I do).

There is real benefit, its not just a nagging spec. It's most noticeable in a panning shot, where you see the frame judder rhythmically.

Seriously though I think my 2408 is going to explode soon.

Decado

Wouldn't work that way. AMD drivers already support a feature that let's you scale lower resolutions up to native, but image quality wise it's just then a toss up between whether that looks better than your monitor's internal scaler.

Too bad. Would have liked to downsample from 2160p (or something like that) to 720p on my 1080p HDTV. Would have been great for playing in 3D and making the text larger in strategy games and RPGs.

:p

Ah you're lucky! My poor abused 2408wfp will have nothing to do with this resolution :(

Though... perhaps it is that I am not using dual-link dvi? I never ventured into figuring that stuff out, since 4k was working on my dvi, and dvi-hdmi cables.

Does a monitor have to be built specifically for dual-link? Makes sense that such a high resolution would require dual-link (now that I've read up on it a bit).

Does a monitor have to be built specifically for dual-link? Makes sense that such a high resolution would require dual-link (now that I've read up on it a bit).

Well insofar as the input needs to support it, but I think most modern monitors do. For me, I just don't have a dual link cable.

I'm curious though as to whether the limiting factor is only cable bandwidth/pixel clock, or if the monitor has specifics to itself that doesn't let it reach past a certain multiple of its native res. My max seems to be 4k, 2x my native. Sethos' 3200p would be 2x his native. And some people with 1440x900 screens and such seem not to be able to get 4k, maybe they max at 1800p?

Ryu1999

Tag for clone mode question. I literally ran into this two days ago after I had been playing with downsampling on my computer monitor.

Anyone got an answer for this? I hate doing extended desktop since I can't see my TV from the other room.

Well insofar as the input needs to support it, but I think most modern monitors do. For me, I just don't have a dual link cable.

Well. I tried it. There's no way I can do it. You might be right about the double resolution limitation. I suspect Sethos is one of the few on GAF capable of reaching that resolution via straight downsampling.

Though I'm curious. 2560x1440 should be able to reach 5120x2880 by that logic, and I've been thinking about a 2560x1440 monitor. But I haven't heard too much about the downsampling capabilities of various 1440p monitors and which ones are best.

Well. I tried it. There's no way I can do it. You might be right about the double resolution limitation. I suspect Sethos is one of the few on GAF capable of reaching that resolution via straight downsampling.

Though I'm curious. 2560x1440 should be able to reach 5120x2880 by that logic, and I've been thinking about a 2560x1440 monitor. But I haven't heard too much about the downsampling capabilities of various 1440p monitors and which ones are best.

I think anyone with Sethos' monitor, or any 1600p monitor, and a modern nvidia card could achieve it. By the same logic, I'd be willing to bet alot that a 1440p monitor could reach 2880p. My estimation is that the scaling interface between the card and the monitor likely always has a 2x limit and range with today's tech. Nvidia should just release their own driver-side version of SRWE or something! That'd be wonderful.

Though, knowing you, I'd think you might want to look at the purty new 21:9 monitors that have come out. Personally it's what I plan to do once this monitor does die.

Props, Sethos, downsample king!

shandy706

What do you do if you want to downsample but play on a TV?

It works just fine on my Aquos. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with others.

Perhaps it's a *hz thing. Try 30hz, 60hz, 59hz, and....ummm...120hz

Edt**

Oh, forgot to mention I'm using an nVidia card...not AMD.

Could be that too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I'm curious though as to whether the limiting factor is only cable bandwidth/pixel clock, or if the monitor has specifics to itself that doesn't let it reach past a certain multiple of its native res. My max seems to be 4k, 2x my native. Sethos' 3200p would be 2x his native. And some people with 1440x900 screens and such seem not to be able to get 4k, maybe they max at 1800p?

For what it's worth I have a 1080p monitor.

I was able to set it to 3841x2160 at 30hz and it worked, but 3840x2161 at 30hz did not work.

For what it's worth I have a 1080p monitor.

I was able to set it to 3841x2160 at 30hz and it worked, but 3840x2161 at 30hz did not work.

Yeah. Same here, I can 2400, but 1px extra either way and its no go. I think it's like this:

The monitor/cable quality determines how high a Hz you can get away with, not the res you can achieve. (That's likely a hard 2x max).

Can someone explain more about how DS is different from SSAA?

SOLDIER

I have a Geforce GTX 760, and the "Create Custom Resolution" box is greyed out. It won't let me create a custom resolution.

I run at 1920x1080, trying to follow the guide but stop short here. Any ideas?

One3rd

I have a Geforce GTX 760, and the "Create Custom Resolution" box is greyed out. It won't let me create a custom resolution.

I run at 1920x1080, trying to follow the guide but stop short here. Any ideas?

This may just be that the application hasn't registered what display you want to change. Under "Change Resolution" try selecting the display from the top that you want to change first and then selecting the Customize button.

Does anyone do this with dual monitors? If so what happens when you open a game on monitor 1 at example: 2600xwhatever and then also what happens when you exit the game back to a normal 1920x1080 desktop?

I have an issue when I open the game at the higher res it pushes everything on monitor 2 to the right and when I exit the game it doesn't move everything back. So I have to manually move everything back to its original spot all the time.

Thanks

mcmmaster

I'm now able to run 3840x2160 thanks to Corky's post 411 so thanks... just for some bizarre reason the sound gets disabled when running in that resolution, strange.

I think anyone with Sethos' monitor, or any 1600p monitor, and a modern nvidia card could achieve it. By the same logic, I'd be willing to bet alot that a 1440p monitor could reach 2880p.

Just seems really rare. Sethos is the only person I know sporting a 1600p monitor. I'm sure there are others out there...

I'd like to see some more examples of folks reaching downsampling resolutions higher than 3840 pixels wide, whether it be from 1440p or 1600p monitors. Really tempted to pull the trigger on one.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This isn't really the thread for this but the most relevant one I can think of.

I tried updating my graphics drivers a couple times this week and it keeps failing out.

I don't want the GEForce experience so I always so don't install that.

Then finally today I just lazily clicked "install express" option which is identical to how I'd been doing it except it also installs the GEforce experience and now it's suddenly working.

Is this Nvidia doing some shady shit trying to get people to install it or is this some one off crazy error with me?

Thorgal

This isn't really the thread for this but the most relevant one I can think of.

I tried updating my graphics drivers a couple times this week and it keeps failing out.

I don't want the GEForce experience so I always so don't install that.

Then finally today I just lazily clicked "install express" option which is identical to how I'd been doing it except it also installs the GEforce experience and now it's suddenly working.

Is this Nvidia doing some shady shit trying to get people to install it or is this some one off crazy error with me?

Weird. when i updated to 320.49 (GTX660) i accidentally did not click to include it and while it did delete the old NGE it installed the driver just fine.

SOLDIER

This may just be that the application hasn't registered what display you want to change. Under "Change Resolution" try selecting the display from the top that you want to change first and then selecting the Customize button.

Nope. When I select my second monitor (my TV), the customize button is greyed out. For my PC monitor, it lets me hit the customize button, but nothing past that.

Here's how it looks, if it helps:

hBjlgh7.jpg

And yes I've checked "Enable resolutions not supported by the display". It still won't let me click the "Create Custom Resolution" button.

scitek

Nope. When I select my second monitor (my TV), the customize button is greyed out. For my PC monitor, it lets me hit the customize button, but nothing past that.

hBjlgh7.jpg

And yes I've checked "Enable resolutions not supported by the display". It still won't let me click the "Create Custom Resolution" button.

Edit: nevermind then

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

hBjlgh7.jpg

Click "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display".

Then, set it so you're ONLY using the screen you're trying to configure and the other one is off.

Check if it lets you customize it.

If not, then close Nvidia Control Panel, reopen it, click directly to Change Resolution, then see if the option is still greyed out.

SOLDIER

Click "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display".

Then, set it so you're ONLY using the screen you're trying to configure and the other one is off.

Check if it lets you customize it.

If not, then close Nvidia Control Panel, reopen it, click directly to Change Resolution, then see if the option is still greyed out.

This worked. I unplugged the HDMI cable leading to my TV, and it allowed me to make the custom resolution.

Though that leads to my follow-up question: will this also work while playing games off my TV?

Edit: Doesn't appear to, so far. Is there a way to customize my TV to accept the downsampling?

I do 99% gaming off the TV, so it would defeat the purpose if I could only experience this on my desktop monitor.

Just seems really rare. Sethos is the only person I know sporting a 1600p monitor. I'm sure there are others out there...

I'd like to see some more examples of folks reaching downsampling resolutions higher than 3840 pixels wide, whether it be from 1440p or 1600p monitors. Really tempted to pull the trigger on one.

Dunno if you saw the post before, but no interest in say, this?

This worked. I unplugged the HDMI cable leading to my TV, and it allowed me to make the custom resolution.

Though that leads to my follow-up question: will this also work while playing games off my TV?

Edit: Doesn't appear to, so far. Is there a way to customize my TV to accept the downsampling?

I do 99% gaming off the TV, so it would defeat the purpose if I could only experience this on my desktop monitor.

It will work for TV's, but same as before you'll probly wanna make it the only output. What do you mean by it didn't work?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Hold Windows key and Press P until you select the option that ONLY has your TV turned on then try creating a custom resolution for it.

SOLDIER

My mistake, I was able to customize my TV's resolution as well. Just had to display it on that TV only momentarily to allow the config.

I've tested a few games and it works great without a hitch on some (Castlevania, Call of Juarez Gunslinger), but it impacts the framerate on others (Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light, Assassin's Creed III). Guess I'll just play around to see which games can handle it and which can't.

Is the idea to have AA on simultaneously, or to turn it off completely? Will it look even better if combined with things like Inject AA?

My mistake, I was able to customize my TV's resolution as well. Just had to display it on that TV only momentarily to allow the config.

I've tested a few games and it works great without a hitch on some (Castlevania, Call of Juarez Gunslinger), but it impacts the framerate on others (Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light, Assassin's Creed III). Guess I'll just play around to see which games can handle it and which can't.

Is the idea to have AA on simultaneously, or to turn it off completely? Will it look even better if combined with things like Inject AA?

The idea is to get the best IQ you can. Sometimes this will mean native res with AA in the game, but most times it'll be yer DS res + whatever AA allows a good fps too.

Personally, when I'm just straight up gaming, not screenshotting, I don't mind FXAA or especially TXAA, even though FXAA can be a bit blurring, because I notice the temporal aliasing less. If you'd like the most stunning and crisp image moment by moment, stick with SMAA, and whatever you can muster DS + other stuff.

Having 2560 x 1440 on the HDTV I hook up to sometimes, it looks great! I turn down the sharpness on my TV too :p

Ofc. The SMAA injector that come with SweetFX is almost performance free so no reason to not use it anyway.

I had to reinstall my GPU drivers today and now I can't get the aspect ratio scaling option to stick. Whenever I select it and hit apply it the monitor just goes black momentarily and then when it comes back it's just set to one of the other two options instead.

Dunno if you saw the post before, but no interest in say, this?

I have an interest. Been thinking about that monitor for months now. I just think a maximum potential height of 2880 sounds better than 2160 (not to mention being more practical for day-to-day stuff). I can still force a 5120x2160 resolution on the 1440p monitor, but obviously the monitor wouldn't be as wide\sexy xD

I had to reinstall my GPU drivers today and now I can't get the aspect ratio scaling option to stick. Whenever I select it and hit apply it the monitor just goes black momentarily and then when it comes back it's just set to one of the other two options instead.

Nvidia?

If so... make sure you are using GPU resolution scaling

This happens to me. I found that if I change the resolution to whatever one I have that is a different aspect ratio than native in the standard system screen res, and then choose GPU scaling, and aspect ratio, it works.

This happens to me. I found that if I change the resolution to whatever one I have that is a different aspect ratio than native in the standard system screen res, and then choose GPU scaling, and aspect ratio, it works.

Upon doing this I realised that the aspect ratio scaling was actually intact, just not reflected in the settings menu for some reason.

Likely a silly question with an obvious answer but its something I'd like to know. Why does downsampling make games look so much darker? I've noticed it before but lately it seems that games in 1080P almost look blown out in comparison to games downsampled even a tiny bit, say to 1440P, with the contrast levels being completely different.

Noticed this in Crysis 2 most recently while replaying it with the Maldo pack.

Edit: Comparing screenshots taken at 1080P/1440P the color/tone is the exact same. What's going on, is it just a visual trick or is something weird happening in game at 1080p?

This is exactly what's happening on mine, with all games, on both a plasma TV and a 23" LG monitor. It almost appears as though the color space is changing, which would explain the crushed out blacks...

Top Bottom