• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 24H2 will add AI Super Resolution Upscaling for games and apps

winjer

Gold Member

Microsoft is working on bringing a new feature to Windows 11, Super Resolution, aiming to make your gaming experience even better. This sneak peek was spotted in a hidden setting within a preview version of Windows 11, set to launch later this year. The idea is to weave this Super Resolution feature right into Windows 11, making it super easy for it to boost the quality of your games. This hint came from a hidden gem in a test version of the upcoming Windows 11 update.

With the help of AI, Windows 11 will get a neat boost called Super Resolution. Thanks to a tip-off by @PhantomOfEarth on X (you might know it as Twitter), we learned that this feature is all about enhancing your games' visuals automatically, with some smart tech behind the scenes. You can even tweak it for each game to get things just right.

Another tech enthusiast, @Thebookisclosed, also stumbled upon this feature in the preview version of Windows 11 and shared a video on X. If you're curious, you can try it out yourself with ViveTool, which you can grab from GitHub.

To activate the feature, you'll need to open the command prompt as an administrator and enter the activation key: vivetool /enable /id:39695921 /variant:3. Make sure to do this after you've installed the tool. Once you've entered the key and restarted your computer, the feature should be up and running.

My guess is that this is a spatial upscaler, that works at the end of the rendering pipeline, similar to DLSS1, FSR1 and NIS.
But without access to motion vectors, color and depth buffers, it will not look anywhere as good as temporal solutions.
Still, it might be of use in some cases.

dlnRIUt.jpg

iP3yEgI.jpg

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
One more step along the road to a cloud-gaming future, like it or not. No diubt future versions will be able to read motion vector (and other) metadata embedded in a video stream - if this takes off, of course.

Hudo

On one hand: Cool
On the other hand: I dunno if that can be as performant as Nvidia, AMD et. al. implementing it directly on the driver side of things.

Sounds unnecessary for my 4090. Another useless feature I'll probably have to turn off if it comes on by default.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

On the one hand, kind of cool, but on the other I absolutely loathe modern Windows. I try not to be all "Get off my lawn" about shit, but can MS just stop hiding shit 50 clicks deep and leave a mode where people that know what they're doing can access shit without all of the fucking safety rails? I hate windows 11.....

Last edited:
Why would you ever use this when Nvidia, AMD, and Intel already offer driver-level features that do this?
I'm currently playing the Tomb Raider reboots for the first time.
The first game does not have DLSS, I wonder if this might help with that. Though my 4070 can play the first Tomb Raider at 4K 60 with FXAA, If I use SSAA it drops below 60 in certain areas.
Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider both have DLSS as an option.

Bojji

I'm currently playing the Tomb Raider reboots for the first time.
The first game does not have DLSS, I wonder if this might help with that. Though my 4070 can play the first Tomb Raider at 4K 60 with FXAA, If I use SSAA it drops below 60 in certain areas.
Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider both have DLSS as an option.

Shadow DLSS is 1.0 so it's garbage.

Filben

Though my 4070 can play the first Tomb Raider at 4K 60 with FXAA, If I use SSAA it drops below 60 in certain areas.
IIRC the game offers MSAA. In that case you could try Nvidia's MFAA option. It offers better image quality than pure MSAA but is also less taxing. It's of course not like DLSS at all, but it might help you wither better IQ than FXAA while mainting better FPS than with SSAA.

Are you really seething this much over an optional setting in the OS? Christ almighty, just turn it off.
Yes I am because it's just another layer of forced trash they're piling onto the trash heap that is Windows. It's another setting I'll have to disable every time I format or get a major update, it's another layer of compatibility problems I have to worry about in the future. Same shit for their fullscreen optimizations that broke so many games back in 2017, same as their hardware accelerated GPU scheduler that's causing stutters in games and especially VR, and other issues like Chrome checkerboard artifacting which is 100% a Windows problem and won't be fixed until some insider build gets pushed to public. It's a mess and I'm sick of it.

poodaddy

Yes I am because it's just another layer of forced trash they're piling onto the trash heap that is Windows. It's another setting I'll have to disable every time I format or get a major update, it's another layer of compatibility problems I have to worry about in the future. Same shit for their fullscreen optimizations that broke so many games back in 2017, same as their hardware accelerated GPU scheduler that's causing stutters in games and especially VR, and other issues like Chrome checkerboard artifacting which is 100% a Windows problem and won't be fixed until some insider build gets pushed to public. It's a mess and I'm sick of it.
Chill Relax GIF

I feel your pain though. I have a love hate relationship with Windows. I like Linux but it's compatibility issues are exhausting, I also find the community far too fragmented so it can be frustrating to troubleshoot anything, what with their being several different distros and what not. I kinda hate that Windows keeps trying to fix something that isn't broken, but then again I get the theory behind why this kind of stuff is potentially cool and useful, though it almost always never works out as intended.

For example, I was a fan of game mode for the most part when it was announced, as I figured it sounds great to shut everything off and give your PC exclusive focus to gaming when it's on.....only....somehow it does precisely the opposite of that and seems to cause issues with games minimizing and stuttering, which is precisely the entire reason for its existence so that's tough to swallow.

Edge's integration with AI should have made it better, it should have just been a clearly useful tool.....and yet somehow searching on Edge, (and Chrome now too), is still godawful. So what happened?

This should be just a handy tool that one can use if they want and hopefully it will be an easy toggle if you don't like it.....maybe they won't screw that up? History, yeah I know, but hey, might work out this time. Optimism is free, perhaps a bit naive, and it keeps the blood pressure low, so I'll go with that until we know for sure.

SomeGit

It’s off by default, just don’t enable it, you are being overly dramatic over an option.

Ozriel

M$FT
Christ almighty I hate what's become of my hobby. Fuck Windows, fuck Microsoft, I'm so done with all this forced garbage changes bullshit.

Your hobby is cataloguing OS features? Weird

Turn it off, then. Not exactly rocket science. Not sure what this has to do with 'compatibility' or whatever.

Lillie

Is this for people without a GPU? Who is this aimed for realistically if you don't already have DLSS or FSR

Last edited:

twilo99

Is this for people without a GPU? Who is this aimed for realistically if you don't already have DLSS or FSR

I’m guessing Intel based systems without dedicated GPUs

Could it work with ARM? Potentially..

Last edited:
Your hobby is cataloguing OS features? Weird

Turn it off, then. Not exactly rocket science. Not sure what this has to do with 'compatibility' or whatever.
My hobby is PC gaming, don't be obtuse.
I already outlined why "just turn it off" is an annoying "solution" to this new addition. It better be off by default like the other guy said.

Hudo

Why would you ever use this when Nvidia, AMD, and Intel already offer driver-level features that do this?
This. The only interesting application area would be if Microsoft made it accessible directly via DirectX. Then I could see it being of value.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm going to need instructions on how to disable this nonsense if it's turned on automatically from the get go.

I don't need AIs and upscalers in my games I rather render things the normal way.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Screenshot-2024-02-25-184309.png

The DirectX team will showcase the latest updates, demos, and best practices for game development with key partners from AMD and NVIDIA. Work graphs are the newest way to take full advantage of GPU hardware and parallelize workloads. Microsoft will provide a preview into DirectSR, making it easier than ever for game devs to scale super resolution support across Windows devices.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm going to need instructions on how to disable this nonsense if it's turned on automatically from the get go.

I don't need AIs and upscalers in my games I rather render things the normal way.

See the first screenshot. Both these options will be under graphics settings.

I see only more settings which i'm going to disable.

Top Bottom