• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U accessories, Nintendo Land + Wiimote, and White 32GB Wii U announced

Fredrik

A bit ridiculous that Nintendo wouldn't at least try to match Nyko when their own battery will likely cost a similar amount (or more).
Yup, definitely odd. Maybe a bigger one gets too hot? Don't know. Nyko has been stalling the launch of their battery for some time now though.

I'd buy either one day 1 anyhow, the original battery is a joke.

skull kid

A bit ridiculous that Nintendo wouldn't at least try to match Nyko when their own battery will likely cost a similar amount (or more).
it's even more ridiculous they wouldn't include it in the first place, no? but as far as I remember Nintendo has a history of overpricing accessories like cables and such.

Shiggy

that shit is so fake

it says smash bros this fall

are you kidding

Well, all ND games announced in January are listed for fall on that list. Might just mean "don't know" if it was supposed to be real.

I'm just surprised that they got stuff such as the product code for Wonderful 101 (WUP-P-ACME) right. I reserve final judgement until we have the product code for Wii Fit U. That's not yet known.

XenodudeX

Only way I see Smash coming this year would be if they're planning to rush for release like they did with Melee. Could be also the main reason why they teamed up with Namco.

skull kid

Only way I see Smash coming this year would be if they're planning to rush for release like they did with Melee. Could be also the main reason why they teamed up with Namco.
I just don't see it happening: Nintendo's issues with adjusting to HD development, Sakurai's injury and the fact the project is huge make for a drastically different scenario from melee. That been said, making a masterpiece like melee in 12 months defies any logic. Here's my suggestion: release Melee HD on Wii U and Smash 64 on 3DS keeping the fanbase busy until smash 4 is done.
won't happen

Baleoce

This is exactly right. A bunch of people called this coming bullshit as soon as pics of the gamepad battery compartment were posted online. Nintendo purposely left extra space to accommodate a future larger battery that they could sell as an upgrade. Fuck them.

Yup I'm purposely buying the Nyko one for this reason.

I just got mine last night and installed it. I set it on the charging dock and was pretty sure I saw an orange light. Checked it this morning....still an orange light. I'm *assuming* the kids didn't bump it, but even so, it should've had hours and hours to charge uninterrupted....

Anyway, I turn it on and it shows two bars of charge after all that time, so suffice it to say I'm a bit concerned about its performance at the moment.

Hrm, please keep us posted.

Lasdrub

Feeling cynical about the Wii U Gamepad battery. It's like they sold me one with a bad battery so that they could sell a higher capacity battery later.

Also, $39.59 for a charging cradle/battery pack combo? That's more than the controller! I'd pay $20 max for that.

Mileena

Banned
This is exactly right. A bunch of people called this coming bullshit as soon as pics of the gamepad battery compartment were posted online. Nintendo purposely left extra space to accommodate a future larger battery that they could sell as an upgrade. Fuck them.

Yep. Another reason to buy Nyko :)

Has anyone found those in stores? I may have to just order it online.

that shit is so fake

are you kidding

I don't believe it'd make it this fall.

But at the same time, they announced this game almost two years ago.

If they had any sense, they did not sit around with thumbs up their butts until Sakurai was completely done with Kid Icarus. There's a lot of lower-level groundwork that he could have been set up, before he was ready to start full development. For example, Sakurai doesn't need to stand over someone's shoulder while they try to hammer out early network code. (I mean that happened for Brawl, and it certainly didn't improve anything.)

G0523

I don't believe it'd make it this fall.

But at the same time, they announced this game almost two years ago.

If they had any sense, they did not sit around with thumbs up their butts until Sakurai was completely done with Kid Icarus. There's a lot of lower-level groundwork that he could have been set up, before he was ready to start full development. For example, Sakurai doesn't need to stand over someone's shoulder while they try to hammer out early network code. (I mean that happened for Brawl, and it certainly didn't improve anything.)

The game was announced before any development had started. They didn't start work on it until Kid Icarus: Uprising was finished.

Shaanyboi

Banned
that shit is so fake

are you kidding

It's very likely a tentative schedule.

I mean come on, no one can possibly expect a 3D Mario, an HD Zelda port, Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi, SMTxFE, and Xenoblade 2 to all come out this holiday.

But at the same time, there's stuff on here, including both of those batter packs, that were on that list and we didn't know about until yesterday. And that list was posted on Neogaf a while ago too. So far, I'm inclined to believe it.

Toad.T

Banned
So... according to that image, essentially everything BUT 3D Mario is set to come out this fall.

Including Bayonetta 2, which only had the bare basics completed when we saw it in Feb and FE X SMT, where its revealing consisted of essentially some stock art and a "Yup, that sure is a vidya gaem we're making." message.
Not to mention the wrong dates for FE:A and W101.

Yeah... I don't think so.
I STILL WANT TO BELIEVE, THOUGH. *sobs*

Somnid

Contrary to popular belief not all batteries are created equal. You've always been able to buy cheap high-capacity batteries for various popular electronics (at least the ones that have user-replaceable batteries). Generally cheaper batteries don't perform as well. They tend to have higher internal resistance, meaning they'll drain faster just sitting around, they may charge slower, they tend not to last as long, they might have erratic discharge curves and even on rare occasions they can explode. It's something to think about, there's more to a battery than how long the early life charges last. Nintendo might well have a higher margin but I'd also expect the product to be higher quality as well.

Lumiere305

Neo Member
Wait a minute.

If Nintendo included a better battery pack for the gamepad at launch, wouldn't that have increased the cost of the Wii U?

Is paying more when you buy the console very different from paying more through buying another battery a few months down the line?

There must be something I'm missing, right?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Classic fuckin' Nintendo. Finally learned my lesson after the DS Lite came out. I never buy anything hardware-wise from them on day 1. In time, something better WILL come along. Now, all I have to do is wait for the console revision and some games I'm interested in, to buy a Wii U.
What the hell are you talking about? You don't even own the console. You shouldn't buy any hardware from ANY manufacture on day one if you can't take this.

Hrm, please keep us posted.

I posted about it in the thread about the Nyko Wii U battery pack. In short: it got worse (blinking orange light, never more than 3 bars charge, etc.) and several people (but not everyone) are reporting similar charging/discharging problems in the other thread. We have another unit here at the store, so I'm thinking I'll take it home and try it before sending them all back to Nyko's distributor...

Wait a minute.

If Nintendo included a better battery pack for the gamepad at launch, wouldn't that have increased the cost of the Wii U?

Is paying more when you buy the console very different from paying more through buying another battery a few months down the line?

There must be something I'm missing, right?

What you're missing is: Nintendo can't win. The only way everyone would've been happy is if they had produced a super-core console with no controller gimmicks w/Blu-ray drive and movie playback, USB 3.0 ports, 320GB of flash memory and a PS4-like graphics card for a retail price of $250 (side-note: from my experience, the Basic model doesn't even exist because no one hardly ever seems to talk about it--recent developments notwithstanding--and the $350 for the free-game-included model is "outrageous").

But that tablet controller went and "ruined everything" because everywhere else they cut costs to make the system affordable is "bad" when really they should've just had a Pro Controller in the box and dropped the GamePad altogether. (That's the argument, anyway... all quotes are paraphrases.)

coldfoot

Banned
Pitiful, just pitiful. 2500mAh is what a high-end Android cell phone has these days.
I don't mind making the extended capacity battery extra, but it should more than double the capacity of the standard battery.

disco

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/accessories/

Wii remote battery pack and charging cradle.
BTgtS2o.jpg

Any news on this hitting the West? I would really appreciate it. :)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Instead of making a new thread, I thought I would post my impressions here. I got the extended battery pack from play-asia and it's charging right now, will post my impressions in a bit. Hopefully it will raise the wii u's battery life to a tolerable level.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Instead of making a new thread, I thought I would post my impressions here. I got the extended battery pack from play-asia and it's charging right now, will post my impressions in a bit. Hopefully it will raise the wii u's battery life to a tolerable level.

WTF, why would it ship with that tiny one if a big one fits in just as well?

Lasdrub

How is the weight with that battery?

The same reason why Apple sends a one foot long cable with the iPad :(

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Is it easy to install? Come with all the shit you need? Expected playtime? And it'll work with us units?

Sorry, just saw this while clocking in at work. An official battery upgrade is amazing sounding!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

As noted below, it's all about them dolla bills. I wouldn't be surprised if they were originally going to put this "extended" battery in but later cheaped out to cut down on cost, since there is quite a lot of empty space in the battery compartment

Updated my original post with comparison shots, will upload a video later with my impressions.

How is the weight with that battery?
I weighed them with my not so accurate scale. The original battery clocks in around 1.5 ounces I would say, while the new one is roughly double that, at least 3 ounces. This doesn't sound too bad but it feels noticeable when I pick up the gamepad now, as if it's gained some girth. The payoff should be well worth it though.

Is it easy to install? Come with all the shit you need? Expected playtime? And it'll work with us units?

Sorry, just saw this while clocking in at work. An official battery upgrade is amazing sounding!

Installation is painless. Unscrew both screws from the battery cover, unclip the battery, and reverse. Comes with it's own phillips head screwdriver. I have a US unit so if it doesn't work you'll be the first to know :p (but there shouldn't be a problem).

The expected playtime as noted on the back of the box is 5-8 hours.

sakipon

I weighed them with my not so accurate scale. The original battery clocks in around 1.5 ounces I would say, while the new one is roughly double that, at least 3 ounces. This doesn't sound too bad but it feels noticeable when I pick up the gamepad now, as if it's gained some girth. The payoff should be well worth it though.

It kind of sounds like the new battery could make it too heavy for smaller children to use comfortably? Could've been a part in the decision, though obviously additional accessories are also perfect for making profit.

CoolS

Of course, play-asia. I was wondering how I could get my hand on this one.

Looking forward to your impressions if the battery is good it will be bought instantely.

Edit: 5 hours minimum sound a lot better. 8 would be great!

Hmm...double the weight. Not sure if worth it.

Top Bottom