• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaC

Speevy said:
C) The sort of kickass character a 24 year old adult such as myself can find appealing on any level whatsoever.

but a character like diddy kong is zee mature! Seriously I stopped worrying about crap like that when I turned 20.

Speevy

Banned
SantaC said:
but a character like diddy kong is zee mature! Seriously I stopped worrying about crap like that when I turned 20.

I'm not saying I want mature characters. I'm saying I want characters that don't look like something my nephew drew with crayons.

Speevy

Banned
I'm just commenting on the update more than Pokemon as a whole.

mball04_070910d-l.jpg

Does anyone honestly want more things like this grey guy in Smash?

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Speevy said:
I'm just commenting on the update more than Pokemon as a whole.

mball04_070910d-l.jpg

Does anyone honestly want more things like this grey guy in Smash?

I do?

Because there is nothing in the Pokemon universe which contains

A) Quality, or the type of quality Nintendo is known for.

confused.jpg

I clogged Nintendo's inbox with a question about whether or not Brawl would be online, just to see what they would come up with, and they said the information was not yet released. :( I hates them, this info should be out there by now.

Speevy

Banned
I'm not arguing that there should be NO Pokemon. That would be ignoring Nintendo's history.

But when we have Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, who knows how many other playable characters, and a substantial number of items taking up a huge chunk of this game, you have to wonder what could have been added instead.

Sharp said:
Damn Speevy's nephew's good.

:lol Heehe!
So what do you guys predict for tommarrow?
I have a feeling that it is either a final smash or a new moveset (which I think are good updates if it is a new character....old...not so much :D although sometimes they are different)

WildArms

Speevy said:
I guess opinions aren't allowed in the Smash Brothers thread.

Good grief, I like the game.

You seem to bash anything that looks half "kiddy". Also keep in mind Pokeball is one ITEM. Yes, 50 different Pokemon can come out, but it's still one item. It doesn't make this game Mario vs. Pokemon.

Also, what exactly do you like about this game then? You seem to dislike half the series. Would you prefer more Fire Emblem characters than Mario characters?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Speevy said:
But when we have Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, who knows how many other playable characters, and a substantial number of items taking up a huge chunk of this game, you have to wonder what could have been added instead.

Given that they can just yank the Pokemon models out of the Wii Pokemon battle game and toss 'em in with, presumably, less time required than brand new things... what's the problem? It's not like the Pokemon are there INSTEAD of new stuff...

traveler

Not Wario
DavidDayton said:
Given that they can just yank the Pokemon models out of the Wii Pokemon battle game and toss 'em in with, presumably, less time required than brand new things... what's the problem? It's not like the Pokemon are there INSTEAD of new stuff...

I don't think it works like that. :lol

Remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

GamerSoul

Speevy said:
No, I mean like this

mball04_070910d-l.jpg

:lol

The vast majority of the Pokemon in this game are going to be items so it's nothing to worry about, it's not like they're taking over or something. Lucario, who has a very sleek, distinct look and is very popoular, is one of the few pkmn who will probably be playable in Brawl.

WildArms said:
Also, what exactly do you like about this game then? You seem to dislike half the series. Would you prefer more Fire Emblem characters than Mario characters?

Why have more than one or two characters from any franchise? Why not grab characters from many different games to create a diverse roster?

Speevy

Banned
WildArms said:
You seem to bash anything that looks half "kiddy". Also keep in mind Pokeball is one ITEM. Yes, 50 different Pokemon can come out, but it's still one item. It doesn't make this game Mario vs. Pokemon.

I love Nintendo characters. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, Kirby to a certain extent, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Advance Wars, Pikmin, Animal Crossing.

I'm still waiting for Olimar, who belongs there, and I wish they'd use K.K. Slider or Tom Nook.

And if you're going to overuse a franchise, why not Mario? There are a ton of interesting Mario characters that would make a more interesting character than Pokemon Trainer, like the Koopas from Super Mario World and Super Mario Brothers 3, Petey Piranha, Mouser, Birdetta, etc.

Sharp

Speevy said:
I love Nintendo characters. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, Kirby to a certain extent, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Advance Wars, Pikmin, Animal Crossing.

I'm still waiting for Olimar, who belongs there, and I wish they'd use K.K. Slider or Tom Nook.

And if you're going to overuse a franchise, why not Mario? There are a ton of interesting Mario characters that would make a more interesting character than Pokemon Trainer, like the Koopas from Super Mario World and Super Mario Brothers 3, Petey Piranha, Mouser, Birdetta, etc.
Koopas are already confirmed to be assist trophies, I think. And we all know about Petey Piranha.

DDayton

traveler said:
I don't think it works like that. :lol

Remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Er... why WOULDN'T they be able to reuse the models? It would seem to me that Nintendo's 1st party development teams (especially in Japan) should be using standard tools... yes, you would most likely have to reanimate them, but the models themselves should be transferable.

Haunted

Frozen Fire said:
:lol Heehe!
So what do you guys predict for tommarrow?
I have a feeling that it is either a final smash or a new moveset (which I think are good updates if it is a new character....old...not so much :D although sometimes they are different)
I predict a new offensive item.

And character updates are the best updates, bar none.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Speevy said:
There are a ton of interesting Mario characters that would make a more interesting character than Pokemon Trainer, like the Koopas from Super Mario World and Super Mario Brothers 3, Petey Piranha, Mouser, Birdetta, etc.

How is Pokemon Trainer not interesting? Its a whole new concept for a fighter since you have to manage 3 Pokemon during one fight, switching them out depending on how your needs shift during the fight. Its a FANTASTIC idea since it ties with how the RPG's work very nicely and much more interesting than adding a side character from the Mario franchise, which is represented very well as it is.

Plus all these Pokemon they keep revealing are just out when ONE item is used, that being the Pokeballs, its not like making one attack animation for each is crippling the dev team, plus it was time they updated them since so many on Melee were ripped from Smash64.

Speevy said:

B) Nostalgia for things I remember playing as a kid.
C) The sort of kickass character a 24 year old adult such as myself can find appealing on any level whatsoever.

Basically, the basic reason is that Pokemon serves to cheapen the entire stable of Nintendo characters, moreso than Mario Party or Starfox Assault ever could.

The entire series offers no hope of ever changing to anything a detractor could love, and more specifically, ever producing a single console iteration that is even average.
The kids who are growing up playing the Pokemon games are the new generation of Nintendo fans. Nintendo has to put stuff in the game to appeal to them because in the future, after us oldies are dead and gone, they are the ones who will be around buying Nintendo games. Nintendo can't ignore them.

traveler

Not Wario
DavidDayton said:
Er... why WOULDN'T they be able to reuse the models? It would seem to me that Nintendo's 1st party development teams (especially in Japan) should be using standard tools... yes, you would most likely have to reanimate them, but the models themselves should be transferable.

Well, first off, there's all the work to transfer it. (Probably not a lot, as you said) Then you have the reanimation, which you also mention. Plus you also have the decision making that goes into figuring out which specific Pokemon to use, what their function should be, how to balance them, etc. In other words, getting a Pokemon into the game requires effort and space that could be used elsewhere. They're not free additions to the game.

Rindain

Banned
Speevy said:

B) Nostalgia for things I remember playing as a kid.

Basically, the basic reason is that Pokemon serves to cheapen the entire stable of Nintendo characters, moreso than Mario Party or Starfox Assault ever could.

The entire series offers no hope of ever changing to anything a detractor could love, and more specifically, ever producing a single console iteration that is even average.

I agree completely.

The higher the ratio of Pokemon to classic Nintendo characters/nostalgia, the less great this game will be.

WildArms

I don't understand. There is just ONE Pokemon item (Poke Ball) and around 4-5 playable Pokemon characters, which is as much as the most popular franchise (Mario), which makes sense as Pokemon is just as popular.

Honestly, if Poke Balls are included who cares even if all 493 Pokemon can come out? Isn't this clearly better than having 3 Pokemon come out of Poke Balls?? It doesn't make there be more Pokemon on the screen you know. Just adds more variety.

Last but not least, pokeballs can be turned off. Also no, resources and time isn't being "wasted" on pokeballs. They were here since the first Smash, and whether they are in or not wouldn;t drastically change anything else in this game.

People need to stop moaning at every update that isn't "Megaton", and just appreciate what gets shown.

Firestorm

Speevy said:

There isn't a single character in Mario that would be more interesting to play as than Pokemon Trainer. Maybe if they had a tag team of every Koopa Kid, but that's about it. You just have an extreme bias, that's all.

And it doesn't take much work to put in a Pokemon. First of all, items aren't really balanced and I doubt Sakurai puts much thought into balancing them. I mean, look at SSBM's Venusaur, Ho-oh, Lugia, etc. vs Goldeen or something. Secondly, this update definitely shows that the amount of effort put into the Pokeball Pokemon models is nowhere near the amount of effort put into the real character models. Compare Charizard with Munchlax:

mball04_070910c-l.jpg
pokemon_trainer_070813d-l.jpg

The complaining is only for a bunch of gamers who consider themselves "older" and think that the game should exclusively cater to those who began gaming with the Atari. Guess what kiddos, Nintendo isn't a stagnant company. They've been creating for years. 10 years ago, they created Pokemon. It became one of their most important franchises.

Not only that, saying Pokemon sucks because it's not nostalgic and then asking for Olimar and Midna is just plain hypocritical.

Firestorm said:
Not only that, saying Pokemon sucks because it's not nostalgic and then asking for Olimar and Midna is just plain hypocritical.

No one is asking for Olimar or Midna. They're as bad choises as any of the pokemons.

Firestorm

Zerodoppler said:
No one is asking for Olimar or Midna. They're as bad choises as any of the pokemons.

So they'd be good choices? And Pokemon. Not Pokemons. Also choices, not choices, but I assume you know that one. "No one" implies 0 people. There are people in this thread that want Olimar/Midna. Including Speevy who just said he wants Olimar a few posts ago, and said that Pokemon isn't nostalgic or classic enough a few posts before that.

Rindain

Banned
Zerodoppler said:

I'd like Midna

And I don't want her for nostalgia purposes. I want her because she is an awesome character with great fighting move potential from one of the best games ever.

But the main problem I have with pokemon in SSBB is that there is no equivalent to pokeballs for the other franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc). The presence of pokeballs at the expense of appearances of recognizable characters/objects from the other main games makes SSBB seem like some kind of Smash Bros/Pokemon hybrid game, not a Smash Bros game where every franchise gets its time in the spotlight.

SantaC

Firestorm said:
So they'd be good choices? And Pokemon. Not Pokemons. Also choices, not choices, but I assume you know that one. "No one" implies 0 people. There are people in this thread that want Olimar/Midna. Including Speevy who just said he wants Olimar a few posts ago, and said that Pokemon isn't nostalgic or classic enough a few posts before that.

wanting olimar and saying pokemon does not cater to him is hypocrisy imo

Firestorm

Rindain said:
I'd like Midna

And I don't want her for nostalgia purposes. I want her because she is an awesome character with great fighting move potential from one of the best games ever.

But the main problem I have with pokemon in SSBB is that there is no equivalent to pokeballs for the other franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc). The presence of pokeballs at the expense of appearances of recognizable characters/objects from the other main games makes SSBB seem like some kind of Smash Bros/Pokemon hybrid game, not a Smash Bros game where every franchise gets its tiem in the spotlight.

Pokeballs is just a nobrainer item. It takes hardly any effort to put them in. Hell, there are only 4 playable Pokemon in Melee. Proportionally to the amount of useable characters in the Pokemon franchise, Pokemon does not have a overwhelming presence in SSB. Heck, for people who usually have items off (like me), they hardly have a presence at all. Doesn't help that other than Jigglypuff, all the Pokemon suck in Melee.

Anyway, more Pokemon is always better for those "Only Pokeball" matches =)

DDayton

traveler said:
Well, first off, there's all the work to transfer it. (Probably not a lot, as you said) Then you have the reanimation, which you also mention. Plus you also have the decision making that goes into figuring out which specific Pokemon to use, what their function should be, how to balance them, etc. In other words, getting a Pokemon into the game requires effort and space that could be used elsewhere. They're not free additions to the game.

Eh... dump the model into Brawl, copy over one or two attack animations. Yes, it's not "free", but compared to creating an entirely new thing, it's not that bad. I just don't think that the Pokemon models equate to the game being cut back in other areas...

Rindain

Banned
I'll stop complaining about Pokemon as soon as Midna, Ridley, or Sonic are announced.

Or when a Metroid assist trophy is announced.

Firestorm said:

When a fourteen-year-old kid on the internet corrects your grammar and spelling, that's when you know you should've paid more attention in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom