• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eteric Rice

Nintaiyo said:
sansen_360.jpg
iceclimbers_070914a-l.jpg

Ice Climbers are back! Now with 45% more fuzz!

It's good that they're still in the game because they have such a unique fighting style. Unfortunately, I don't know too many people that actually play with them. Personally, I want to see Game and Watch.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Heh, good to see the Ice Climbers back, with even furrier coats, yey, also Poor Kirby, especially if that move involves BOTH of them stomping on the poor blob, haha.

SantaC said:
the hammers or whatever you called them got increased polygons and better texture as well.

Improved textures all round, apart from the fuzz, the coats are in higher res, and the faces/shoes are markedly improved.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Sooo... could we all agree that baseless speculation about characters be struck from the roster is silly?

Sakurai is in charge. He can do whatever he wants. Assuming distinctive characters are cut seems silly without proof.

(In other words, I'm expecting Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, and Zelda's Shiek transformation to return.)

Insaniac

Sakurai is not revealing unlockable chars right? I can't wait to see what else he has in store. I hope there are more new characters not in previous smash bros in the starting lineup

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Insaniac said:
Sakurai is not revealing unlockable chars right? I can't wait to see what else he has in store. I hope there are more new characters not in previous smash bros in the starting lineup

Ice Climbers could be unlocked from the start for all we know

SantaC

Insaniac said:

you mean secret characters? I doubt he reveals them.

PkunkFury

SantaC said:
you mean secret characters? I doubt he reveals them.

if this is the case (which I also think it is), our one character a week has to end sometime soon. :(

We already have 18 starters. If this continues we'll have like 30 :lol

Nintaiyo said:
Nah, their taunt, at least thier old one anyway, is when they raise their hammers. I posted a screen of it earlier.
I think he said that's their taunt because it looks like one of their celebration taunts from when you win a match with them

Dr.Hadji

Sharp said:
Ooh, nice fur.

(I bet this move was wholly to appease the competitive Smash world, by the way. That or someone on Sakurai's staff reaaaallly likes the Ice Climbers).

Actually, unless you're an IC playerm most pros hate em. Mostly because they're a new type of broken. Goodness they already look broken. Double Footstool into grab combo!!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dr.Hadji said:
Actually, unless you're an IC playerm most pros hate em. Mostly because they're a new type of broken. Goodness they already look broken. Double Footstool into grab combo!!
Characters most pros hate:

1. Ice Climbers
2. Peach

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm glad to see they are back as I always found them to be enjoyable to play as. Shame however that my prediction for Captain Falcon being revealed this week didn't end up true. HE NEEDS TO SHOW US HIS MOVES!

kamikaze

oh wow. welcome back nana and popo! never was that good with them but they were fun to play...especially in 4-player all ice climber matches. :D

Nintaiyo

Dark Ninja said:
I think he said that's their taunt because it looks like one of their celebration taunts from when you win a match with them

Could be. Maybe the "match over/winner" screen is now shown with the stage and character instead of going to a results type screen.

AMUSIX

SantaC said:
I see no reason to have so many melee characters returning, i mean this game should be something new, not a remake. Well, I am pretty sure it will have online now.
Umm, we have confirmation of 12 returning characters and 8 new characters so far. How much of a new roster are you looking for? I'd rather have this be more of a SFAlpha to SFA2 change than a SFII to SFIII change.

As it is, I admit I was surprised to see Ice Climbers back. Thought they were added to Melee as a novelty (although that doesn't mean they weren't a great character) and for that reason could have easily wound up on the chopping block. I'm happy to see them, though, as they truly provide a different gameplay experience.

Ashhong

booo I was hoping they would get cut and make way for others. does this mean no ness? or was that a rumor before that someone would get cut? i dont know anybody that actually used IC as their main person...maybe as a stupid fun game. lame =/ i didnt even like using them to finish their target and crap in melee lol

oh well, im sure some people like em.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ashhong said:
booo I was hoping they would get cut and make way for others. does this mean no ness? or was that a rumor before that someone would get cut?
I think it was a rumour that someone would get cut. If ice climbers have made it into the game, then I guess ness will be a playable character in brawl too.

Scribble

Although their franchise is inactive, it's pretty cool that the characters are now Smash Bros staples. They're not "one-off retro Nintendo references" as some people thought they would be - some wanted Lolo and Lala or Diddy and Dixie to replace them.

NeonZ

I've always thought it was extremely stupid to expect the Ice Climbers to be dropped without an adequate replacement moveset-wise.

They'd need another duo who could use all their animations- so their replacement would have to be another hammer wielding duo with similar proportions and ice themed moves, but there's no character like that. They also obviously aren't going to just throw away all the animations that they had from Melee... Not returning wouldn't make sense.

Haunted

psycho_snake said:
Usually character update's are the best, but its a letdown when they introduce characters you dont like.
:lol so true.

Son of Godzilla said:
So this update basically confirms Sheik is out.
fixed.

Darunia said:
Nobody likes Ice Climbers
Now, that's just not true. I know at least 3 people in this very thread who love like tolerate don't hate them.

Scribble

First you said that Marth is confirmed to be out, and now you're saying that Sheik is confirmed to be out, for reasons that I can't see.

I never understand your SSB logic, HauntedOne. Please explain it to me.

Hero

If anything, this just confirms that most characters will return.

Honestly, the only ones I can see being cut now are:

Pichu
Mewto (replaced by a D/P legendary)
Young Link (replaced by WW/PH Link)
Mr. G&W

Dina

Darunia said:
Oh god, why Ice Climbers

Nobody likes Ice Climbers

not even me

I don't understand the hate tbh. They're cute, pretty unique cause there's two of them and they carry hammers. What's not to like?

Do you hate Kirby as well? While there's no two kirbys rampaging around, he's pretty unique too and has a move with a hammer. And he's cute.

usea

Dina said:
I don't understand the hate tbh. They're cute, pretty unique cause there's two of them and they carry hammers. What's not to like?

Do you hate Kirby as well? While there's no two kirbys rampaging around, he's pretty unique too and has a move with a hammer. And he's cute.
I'm going to take a random guess and say his dislike for them has more to do with how they play and less to do with their visual design. Cause you know it's a game and all, not a doll house.

Scribble

usea said:
I'm going to take a random guess and say his dislike for them has more to do with how they play and less to do with their visual design. Cause you know it's a game and all, not a doll house.

There is a "doll house" element to Smash Bros, since it's a giant Nintendo crossover and all.

Haunted

Scribble said:
First saying that Marth is confirmed out and now you're saying that Sheik is confirmed out.

I never understand your SSB logic, HauntedOne. Please explain it to me.
Well, first off, 'confirmed' is just used loosely because of the familar/joking tone of this thread. The regulars here act as if our opinions were fact to incite discussions and bring some spice into here - it's basically a running joke, so don't take it 100% seriously. ;)

Having said that, Sheik and Marth are definitely out, no denying that.

Marth is out because he's been replaced by Ike. Ike is not an addition to the cast, he is a replacement for Marth. There is no need for two blue-haired, cape-wearing, sword-wielding, fierce-looking Fire Emblem lords in the game. I guess either a female or another red-haired male FE character will make it in (Although female chances dropped now that Lyn has been confirmed as an AT). At this point, I give Eliwood the best chance to make it in. If there really are 3 FE characters planned (like some here believe), Marth's return chances rise a bit.

Sheik is out because she doesn't make sense with TP Link and TP Zelda who're in Brawl. TP Zelda won't transform, so the only chance that Sheik will make it in is as a standalone character. I don't think that will happen because there are a number of other Zelda characters who have priority over her (Ganondorf/WW Link/Wolf+Midna/Tingle). Also, I think the general shift away from OoT to TP as 'the' Zelda that is mainly represented in Brawl makes it more unlikely for her to appear as a playable character.

After all that, that's just one guy's opinion - and I'm the man with the worst prediction record in the whole thread to boot. >_<;

AniHawk said:
Not even the Ice Climbers like the Ice Climbers.
:lol

usea

Scribble said:
There is a "doll house" element to Smash Bros, since it's a giant Nintendo crossover and all.
No doubt a lot of people play the game entirely for the doll house element. I mean, forgetting the fact that I think that's retarded, it's still kind of odd to be perplexed at somebody's dislike for a character and use "they're cute" as supporting evidence. Maybe I should expect less? Whatever.

Hero said:

Pichu
Mewtwo (replaced by a D/P legendary)
Mr. G&W

Mewtwo is easily the most popular/memorable Pokemon Legendary. I can (unfortunately) see him getting cut, but not replaced by a new D/P Legendary..

Personally I'm hoping Mewtwo stays. He's my second favorite :[

Dina

Darunia said:
Why compare Ice Climbers to Kirby? Kirby's fucking awesome

Cute, small, hammer, unique ability.

usea said:

Granted, but if you don't like how they play but don't mind their design, you can, you know, not pick them? It's not like the ICs being in the game rule others out, especially since the franchise is small/dead.

EktorPR

Wow, great models!! Although I don't *love* them, they are part of Nintendo's history and a great asset to the character roster of the game. Plus, look at that beautiful fur...beautiful. :D

Scribble

Haunted One said:
Well, first off, 'confirmed' is just used loosely because of the familar/joking tone of this thread. The regulars here act as if our opinions were fact to incite discussions and bring some spice into here - it's basically a running joke, so don't take it 100% seriously. ;)

I've been here long enough to know that =P

Marth is out because he's been replaced by Ike. Ike is not an addition to the cast, he is a replacement for Marth. There is no need for two blue-haired, cape-wearing, sword-wielding, fierce-looking Fire Emblem lords in the game.

a. Marth is the most iconic Fire Emblem character. He's the first ever lord, and has had three games (one a sidestory where he isn't a main character, IIRC), in his universe.

b. Just because they both wield swords, doesn't mean they fight the same. If anything, the fact that Ike is a HEAVY sword user, instead of the more graceful rapierish type sword user like Marth, reinforces the idea that Marth isn't out.

c. Who cares if they both have blue hair, if they're both recognisable as Marth and Ike from Fire Emblem? o_o This isn't an original fighting game, this is Fire Emblem. The characters have had histories/legacies before this game.

Sheik is out because she doesn't make sense with TP Link and TP Zelda that's in Brawl. TP Zelda won't transform, so the only chance that Sheik will make it in is as a stand-alone character. I don't think that will happen, because there are a number of other Zelda characters who have priority over her. Also, I think the general shift away from OoT to TP as 'the' Zelda that is mainly represented in Brawl makes it more unlikely for her to appear as a playable character.

This isn't TP Zelda, this is Smash Bros Zelda. As mentioned here a few times, Zelda didn't even use the goddess' magic in her games in the way that she does in Smash Bros. I don't think there is particularly a focus on "TP" this time around - it's just that Twilight Princess is the most recent console Zelda. Mario and Donkey Kong have elements from their recent games.

usea

Dina said:
Granted, but if you don't like how they play but don't mind their design, you can, you know, not pick them? It's not like the ICs being in the game rule others out, especially since the franchise is small/dead.
What does this have to do with picking them? He just said he doesn't like them. And why does not minding their design mean you could avoid picking them, but if you dislike their design then you couldn't tolerate them in the game at all? I don't really follow how that works..

I agree with the logic that character A's inclusion doesn't mean character B's exclusion. However, like at least 4 other people on just this page disagree with that.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hero said:
If anything, this just confirms that most characters will return.

Pichu
Mewto (replaced by a D/P legendary)
Mr. G&W

I have issues with Mr. Game & Watch and Mewtwo... why should they be replaced? They aren't clones. I can't think of any reason why the two would be replaced.

Pichu always struck me as the token joke character... and I thought we -had- been told we were getting Wind Waker Link, but that could have been long, long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom