• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasel

funny enough this was posted 2 days ago
http://mother3.fobby.net/2007/09/29/very-important-news/#more-123
Our November goal is fast approaching, and Smash Bros. looms ever closer. So the discussion came up about whether or not we should release an unfinished patch if we don’t make it in time. The spoilers involved in SSBB can be very big, depending on the person. For that reason, I really wanted to release an unfinished patch — IF it was in a good enough state for it. But some points against releasing an unfinished patch were also made. In the end, we made a compromise, and that’s what this update is about.

So here’s the deal:

* Our project’s initial goal was to release a top-quality translation for MOTHER 3. That goal hasn’t changed.
* Another side goal was to hopefully finish before Smash Bros. Brawl comes out.

t this point, the two goals are leading in different directions now. Releasing an unfinished patch that can crash, freeze, erase your saves, etc. would not be something we’d want players to deal with. It’s also not polished enough to our liking. Plus, as it is, we’re still struggling with the hacking, which is harder than anyone ever expected it to be. There’s no telling when the major hacking breakthroughs could be made - it could be an hour from now, it could be next week, it could be months from now.

Rushing the current project could also ruin the experience for some people as much as spoilers might. I (and the rest of the team) want to make sure this is the best quality possible right out of the door. If we released a meh version of our patch in a few months, when we get around to releasing the final, fully awesome patch, only a fraction of the original people would play the new version. That’s not good. Plus there’s the personal side of things, and I’d really like to sleep more at nights. Having some extra time would be really nice ;) All the other guys have busy lives that take precedence too.

So, it might sound like we’re throwing in the towel for the November release. Sort of. Depends on how you look at it. But after discussion with the team, we decided to do a compromise thusly:

* For those who don’t care about Smash Bros. spoilers and just want to play MOTHER 3 in English, please wait until our final, full translation. We don’t know when it will be done. Sorry.
* If you REALLY, REALLY don’t want Smash Bros. to spoil any of the game for you, I’ve created a mini-patch from scratch here that translates menus, items, descriptions, names, etc. Use this patch and a walkthrough to get through MOTHER 3 before Smash Bros. comes out.
* If you absolutely do not want to play through the game in Japanese, but REALLY don’t want to be spoiled by SSBB… then it’s up to you to avoid those SSBB spoilers when they come out. If you can somehow manage this until the full translation patch is complete, you win 90 awesome points.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Soooo I just checked the Smash Bros. site like 5 minutes ago... am I too late to the party to shout "HOLY SHIT"?

I love Amir0x's reaction, BTW. Bold, caps and excessively repeated letters are the very least we could expect when a Mother character was announced. =P

Zeed

Banned
Holy shit, figures the one night that I go to sleep early would be the one where we get a Megaton. Damn!

JonathanEx said:
I HAVE FOUND STARMAN.NETS EXCLUSIVE SAUCE ON THIS INFORMATION

http://www.silverfernz.com/ProdImages/food/tomsauce560p.jpg[IMG]

I have been led to believe they had some ketchup whilst banging at the doors of NoA, and it squirted on the ketchup in a shape resembling Lucas' hair! Undeniable proof they knew![/QUOTE]
:lol

No but seriously we've been saying for a long time (before Starman) that Lucas would be in ever since it came to light that Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Melee. It was truly an obvious prediction, Starman still doesn't know shit. Whether or not Ness is out is an open question, but this certainly doesn't help his chances.

Fireblend

Banned
Awesome! This will be the character I'll play with; Ness was awesome last game, I hope Lucas isn't too different.

And it's great since now NOA should be tempted to localize the game. Maybe this will make them throw the towel and accept the fans want the game?:lol

Haunted

Danthrax said:
Soooo I just checked the Smash Bros. site like 5 minutes ago... am I too late to the party to shout "HOLY SHIT"?

I love Amir0x's reaction, BTW. Bold, caps and excessively repeated letters are the very least we could expect when a Mother character was announced. =P
Just wait until Ness is revealed. :eek:

Gexecuter said:
:D i called it.
good job.

monkey79

Lucas! Hopefully Ness and maybe some new Mother 3 characters are in the game.

I'm predicting a stage or subspace emissary update for tonight.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Akai said:
I take it you've never played Earthbound?

come now Akai, we don't associate with his kind.

Bloody good update :D cant wait to find out about Lucas' move set.. but like was previously said Sakurai will probly keep us waiting so we dont know about ness' future.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ness will still be in, even the site is saying so:

While he is timid in nature, he fights splendidly. Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!

For the amateurs in "reading between the lines", that means that Lucas and Ness will fight in Brawl to determine superiority.

Awesome update regardless, Ness was one of my mains in Melee and more Mother love is always good.

Somnid

Meh. I don't really care about this update. If he replaces Ness I'll care even less, then it'd just be a glorified pallet swap.

Linkhero1

Raging Spaniard said:
Ness will still be in, even the site is saying so:

For the amateurs in "reading between the lines", that means that Lucas and Ness will fight in Brawl to determine superiority.

Awesome update regardless, Ness was one of my mains in Melee and more Mother love is always good.
Of course Ness will be in. He was in the original and that alone gives it away.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You guys need to stop with the wild hopes for a Star Tropics reference in this game, given that neither of the Star Tropics titles were ever released in Japan.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
jrricky said:
Awesome update. There is no reason to believe ness is gone.

Except that having two nearly identical little boy characters from a franchise that is all but unknown in the US would be pretty unusual. I'm pretty sure Ness is gone and the comment about comparing to Ness is simply a reference to him having large shoes to fill.

At least, I hope so. I'd hate to seem them waste two character slots on such similar characters.

MattKeil said:
Except that having two nearly identical little boy characters from a franchise that is all but unknown in the US would be pretty unusual. I'm pretty sure Ness is gone and the comment about comparing to Ness is simply a reference to him having large shoes to fill.

At least, I hope so. I'd hate to seem them waste two character slots on such similar characters.
I don't think he would be commenting on Ness if he took him out. That's like putting salt on Ness fans' wounds.

Rogultgot

If I can't play as Ness in Brawl, somebody's getting kicked in the leg. Then they're gonna get put on a stretcher, then they're gonna get a stretcher for the stretcher, and that'll be why they're sitting at home with a bad leg, and that's why I kicked your leg out of your leg.

Amir0x said:
:D So you can see I am very happy with this announcement. Although I think Claus is better.

This must be why Mother 3 site kept going on and on about there being major spoilers from the Mother 3 game.

Obviously, Claus (I assume that Claus = the twin brother) will be an alternate color scheme.

AdmiralViscen said:
You're getting information from that?

I understand it's an Earthbound/Mother quote, so obviously the update is going to be about Earthbound/Mother. Not rocket science.

Franz/Amelia for Brawl!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
OliveJuice said:
I don't think he would be commenting on Ness if he took him out. That's like putting salt on Ness fans' wounds.

I don't think you could replace Ness with Lucas and not mention Ness. Consider that, should Ness not be in the game, the comment about "will he compare" could potentially be a nod to the fans from his perspective, just trying to show that Ness wasn't forgotten about, just substituted.

Every other character in the game is visually distinct. I will be very surprised if all of a sudden they've got two characters whose only real distinction is their hair color/style.

NeonZ

Every other character in the game is visually distinct. I will be very surprised if all of a sudden they've got two characters whose only real distinction is their hair color/style.

I think that argument doesn't really work in this situation. The characters aren't in a void separate from everything else. In a standard 3d fighting series, that might be true, but here, these characters are representing other franchises/games.

Even if Lucas replaced Ness gameplay-wise, the game would be left with no Mother 2/Earthbound representation, so he wouldn't be a total replacement for him. Besides, Mario and Luigi are as similar as these two, if you're just considering their design.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Rentahamster said:
Needs more CGI?

2yjuflv.jpg
I almost had green tea coming out of my nose when I scrolled down and saw this a few pages ago :lol

I think this update proves that Sakurai or whoever is in charge of these updates gets his jollys over fucking with the fanbase. Every single sentance of speculation you people type adds another cackle to his overlordship.

SantaC

Gold Member
Son of Godzilla said:
I think this update proves that Sakurai or whoever is in charge of these updates gets his jollys over fucking with the fanbase. Every single sentance of speculation you people type adds another cackle to his overlordship.

why are your posts in this thread always so bitter? Looks at avatar...oh.

I fail to see how that is bitter, considering that multiple other people in the thread have said the same thing in so many words.

Franz/Amelia for Brawl!

MattKeil said:
I don't think you could replace Ness with Lucas and not mention Ness. Consider that, should Ness not be in the game, the comment about "will he compare" could potentially be a nod to the fans from his perspective, just trying to show that Ness wasn't forgotten about, just substituted.

Well his comment is very open. You can look at it from my point of view or yours. However, I think, the only way Ness can be replaced by Lucas is if he has the exact/similar movesets...which it doesn't look like he does. Maybe they will play differently enough to have both of them in the game. Edit: Ya...the Mario & Luigi example is a good way of explaining this point.

....actually having Lucas revealed before Ness really lowers Ness's chance of being in the game. :lol I still believe that Ness is going to be an unlockable like in the past games.

Scribble

Why Ness may not be gone:

*Sakurai referred to Ness in the update. If Ness was dropped, Sakurai may not have sounded so optimistic, and may not even want to acknowledge Ness

*He says "can he surpass EVEN Ness", which kind of emphasises how much of a veteran Ness is to the series

*Mother 2 will be able to cross over with Mother 3

OK, I'm probably reading too much into things, but I don't think Ness will be dropped.

Scribble said:
Why Ness may not be gone:

*Sakurai referred to Ness in the update. If Ness was dropped, Sakurai may not have sounded so optimistic, and may not even want to acknowledge Ness

*He says "can he surpass EVEN Ness", which kind of emphasises how much of a veteran Ness is to the series

*Mother 2 will be able to cross over with Mother 3

OK, I'm probably reading too much into things, but I don't think Ness will be dropped.
That's how I read it as well.

Firestorm said:
lucas.jpg

The youth with the psychic powers has appeared—it’s Lucas! He makes his anticipated debut from the Japan-only release MOTHER 3.

While he is timid in nature, he fights splendidly. Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!

lucas_071001a-l.jpg
lucas_071001b-l.jpg

lucas_071001c-l.jpg
lucas_071001d-l.jpg

Who is this....thing ???

Jiggy

MattKeil said:
Except that having two nearly identical little boy characters from a franchise that is all but unknown in the US would be pretty unusual.
First of all, for Smash Bros. nothing is unusual. But putting that aside, Fire Emblem was much more unknown in the US than Mother and they had both Marth and Roy in last time around.

OliveJuice said:
....actually having Lucas revealed before Ness really lowers Ness's chance of being in the game. :lol I still believe that Ness is going to be an unlockable like in the past games.
Ness was a starting character in Melee.

Jiggy

ant1532 said:
Holy shit. Awesome update. Loving Lucas! I really don't think Ness is out either since he has a totally different move set and Sakurai said he's keeping the original cast in (which includes Ness) last year.
I see this all the time and I want it to be true, but I have no idea where people got it from. :(
I believe Ness is in whether or not that was ever said, though.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yay, it is like they are not hearing our cries for more females

:/
I anticipated your comment and I do agree. I want a third Mother character, either Paula or whatever Mother 3 girl there is.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

BEST UPDATE EVER.

UNTIL THE NESS UPDATE, ANYWAY. BUT TOTALLY THE BEST UPDATE THUS FAR.

HUZZAH!

...Sorry about that. I'm still confident that Ness will be in, despite the presence of Lucas. This makes me really wish that Starmen would finish their Mother 3 translation, I'm dying to play it. Hopefully Lucas will have some of the PSI (or PK, I guess) attacks that are in the games but were left out of Smash Bros: PK Beam, PSI Freeze, PSI Brainshock...

Hell, maybe his Up-B could be 4th-D Slip.

Only one word can do this update justice:

SMAAAAAAAASH!

SantaC said:
why are your posts in this thread always so bitter? Looks at avatar...oh.
? I don't see how that specific post was bitter at all. Otherwise, yes, in general I'm a jaded asshole.

These updates are obviously for the hardcore fans and you have to be dense not to think there's at least a bit of teasing going on with them. Tossing in Lucas before Ness is a bloody brilliant way of messing with people if you ask me.

LouieGeetoo said:
Ness was a starting character in Melee.
Oh yeah, I forgot. :lol
I haven't played Smash in a while.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Whoa, you actually called me by name on that post.

It is good to know that there are other people that agree with you on the issue.

What is even more irritating is that they have a large cast of females to use, but they aren't using them.
I really wanted Lyn to be playable....at least she's in the game though.
It's not the same :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom