• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Whoa, you actually called me by name on that post.

It is good to know that there are other people that agree with you on the issue.

What is even more irritating is that they have a large cast of females to use, but they aren't using them.

Well, if Lyn is any indication, we might see alot of them as assist trophies. Which sucks.

OliveJuice said:
I really wanted Lyn to be playable....at least she's in the game though.
It's not the same :(

not at all.

Jiggy

Hcoregamer00 said:
Whoa, you actually called me by name on that post.

It is good to know that there are other people that agree with you on the issue.

What is even more irritating is that they have a large cast of females to use, but they aren't using them.
Yeah, you're kind of more memorable than most. >_>

Lyn was one of the greatest missed opportunities so far. When I broke down the roster demographics, it turned out that all SSBM and SSBB characters so far were--in descending order of how many of them there are--a main character in a main series, a main character in a less major series, or a sidekick in a main series... (Edit: No sidekicks from secondary series, in other words.)
A ton of Nintendo girls fit into the second or third categories, which is probably why they're not being put in. Jill from Drill Dozer, Daisy from all the spinoff Mario titles (though, okay, she was at least in a Mario platformer before), Mona from Wario Ware...

But Lyn was a main character in a main series and still got the assist treatment, which is entirely not leaving me with hope for anyone more minor than her. :/ And there are a lot of characters more minor than her. :/

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
crowphoenix said:
Well, if Lyn is any indication, we might see alot of them as assist trophies. Which sucks.

Boo, that is horrible.

Why does Nintendo hate us so much?

Jiggy37 said:

Lyn was one of the greatest missed opportunities so far. When I broke down the roster demographics, it turned out that all SSBM and SSBB characters so far were--in descending order of how many of them there are--a main character in a main series, a main character in a less major series, or a sidekick in a main series... (Edit: No sidekicks from secondary series, in other words.)
A ton of Nintendo girls fit into the second or third categories, which is probably why they're not being put in. Jill from Drill Dozer, Daisy from all the spinoff Mario titles (though, okay, she was at least in a Mario platformer before), Mona from Wario Ware...

But Lyn was a main character in a main series and still got the assist treatment, which is entirely not leaving me with hope for anyone more minor than her. :/ And there are a lot of characters more minor than her. :/

That's true

*cries incessantly at the reality check*

Scribble

The thing is, Ness is no longer obscure, since he's a Smash Bros. staple. So the fact that his franchise is unknown doesn't really mean anything when it comes to his inclusion. Look how well Melee did.

I've played quite a bit of FE on both GBA and GC and I don't have a damn clue who Lyn is. That might tie in to her not being a main character.

Scribble said:
The thing is, Ness is no longer obscure, since he's a Smash Bros. staple. So the fact that his franchise is unknown doesn't really mean anything when it comes to his inclusion. Look how well Melee did.
If Ice Climbers can make the cut, anyone can. Regardless of how many twin brothers or whatever the fuck are already included.

Jiggy37 said:

Lyn is the main character in the same way Mist is. Or maybe Soren, but Soren was one of the deepest characters in the series' history, so it's unfair to compare them.

NeonZ

But Lyn was a main character in a main series and still got the assist treatment, which is entirely not leaving me with hope for anyone more minor than her. :/

Background decoration doesn't make her a main character.

No, really, she just wasn't "the main character" after the tutorial ended. Even though she hanged around and got more speaking parts than minor characters in the main game, her contributions to the storyline still were smaller than the ones of someone like Ninian. Her 'lord' title for the main game was a joke.

She'd never get into SSB as a playable character before Eliwood and Hector. Even Hector is a stretch, considering how he's only the main character in an unlockable mode, while Eliwood is the default one for the main storyline. After all that, there's the fact that Fire Emblem 7 just isn't the newest game, and its only significant mark in the franchise was the American release.

Hcoregamer00

crowphoenix said:
It's a question that has plagued Mother fans for years.
I have no idea.

Maybe it is because back in the day we hurt the feelings of the President of NOA, and then he created a master list that consists of "No more earthbound games" and "I want an early 90's model cell phone"

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:

But aren't the rules slightly different because of how FE operates? She was only a main character in one game, and she didn't even exist in the other games (except Roy's game, but she wasn't in that, IIRC). Dixie and Krystal would be good characters from your first category.

And are we ignoring Wario Ware's "significance" as a Nintendo franchise? It sold really well, right? And it's been on every Nintendo console since the GBA. Maybe Mona does have a chance, but we're ignoring it because Wario Ware is a. recent and b. not as "epic" as other Nintendo franchises.

Btw, if we look at those categories, Krystal is a cert. Dixie was even bigger in her hayday, but her role isn't as big anymore.

I really don't get the argument here. Liking individual characters is fine, as is wanting them in a fanservice game (and I suppose my expectations are somewhat tempered by the fact that my favourite characters from a Nintendo game are relatively minor players with little to no chance of making it in as an assist trophy, nevermind actual playables).

But... just asking for more girls? What point does that even serve?

Pureauthor said:
I really don't get the argument here. Liking individual characters is fine, as is wanting them in a fanservice game (and I suppose my expectations are somewhat tempered by the fact that my favourite characters from a Nintendo game are relatively minor players with little to no chance of making it in as an assist trophy).

fap fap fap, I think.

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:

Simple, adding more girls would add more appeal to the game. Smash bros. always had the popular mainstream characters with some lesser known ones in the mix, why not add more girls while they are at it, both popular and those lesser known.

The only ones who would hate this idea would be guys who feel their masculinity is threatened by playing as a girl, and they have a HUGE roster to choose from in Smash Bros.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The only ones who would hate this idea would be guys who feel their masculinity is threatened by playing as a girl, and they have a HUGE roster to choose from in Smash Bros.
I don't think anyone hates the idea so much as they are incredibly tired of people bitching about it all the damn time.

Hcoregamer00

ShockingAlberto said:
fap fap fap, I think.

No, being a fighting game player I am used to having rosters filled with unique and interesting female characters. I don't see why Smash Bros. should be any different.

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think anyone hates the idea so much as they are incredibly tired of people bitching about it all the damn time.

How is that any different than the 10,000 posts bitching about "My (insert favorite character) wasn't announced, Argh"

Scribble said:
But aren't the rules slightly different because of how FE operates? She was only a main character in one game, and she didn't even exist in the other games (except Roy's game, but she wasn't in that, IIRC). Dixie and Krystal would be good characters from your first category.

And are we ignoring Wario Ware's "significance" as a Nintendo franchise? It sold really well, right? And it's been on every Nintendo console since the GBA. Maybe Mona does have a chance, but we're ignoring it because Wario Ware is a. recent and b. not as "epic" as other Nintendo franchises.

I would love to see Krystal in the game. Mostly because I'm a huge Star Fox fan, but also because she'd be another female addition. Plus she already has a weapon that would pretty interesting in brawl.

Dixie could probably make the cut, but that would depend on the number of characters included. I mean, there are already two Donkey Kong characters (Though I wish I could just not count The Big Man because he's as much a staple as Mario), so I don't know if we'll see another.

Midna would definitly be cool, but I see her as more of a pure ownage assist trophy
final boss fight FTW

Still, with Sakurai saying that he wanted more female characters and not including Lyn (Who was the main character for about 1/3 of 7 and one of the three lords for the rest), it just doesn't seem to be looking good.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Simple, adding more girls would add more appeal to the game. Smash bros. always had the popular mainstream characters with some lesser known ones in the mix, why not add more girls while they are at it, both popular and those lesser known.

It's not about hating the idea. The vast majority of Nintendo frontliners are male (a trend that extends to pretty much all of gamingdom). And there's always a limit to how much fanservice Sakurai can squeeze into a single game (the limitations only increase when you are demanding them as playables, what's more).

How many Nintendo girls are there who actually stand a chance, an actual chance of making it in as a playable? Lyn always was a pipe dream - she's a minor Lord from a series that has far too many mainliners to bother dealing with anything even remotely secondary (hence my :( over Franz/Amelia's chances). That's she's even in as an Assist Trophy is far more than I would have thought possible.

Scribble

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, being a fighting game player I am used to having rosters filled with unique and interesting female characters. I don't see why Smash Bros. should be any different.

Why does it matter that they are female? Would Jynx being included as a playable character make you happy?

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
It's not about hating the idea. The vast majority of Nintendo frontliners are male (a trend that extends to pretty much all of gamingdom). And there's always a limit to how much fanservice Sakurai can squeeze into a single game (the limitations only increase when you are demanding them as playables, what's more).

How many Nintendo girls are there who actually stand a chance, an actual chance of making it in as a playable? Lyn always was a pipe dream - she's a minor Lord from a series that has far too many mainliners to bother dealing with anything even remotely secondary (hence my :( over Franz/Amelia's chances). That's she's even in as an Assist Trophy is far more than I would have thought possible.

That doesn't change the idea that they could at least try to add 1 or 2 more to the game. In Smash Bros Melee we got Princess Zelda that was a very welcome and needed addition. In here we just go a variation of a character, nothing more.

It is irritating to see that with this iteration of Smash Bros. that we haven't gotten a unique, new female to the lineup.

Scribble said:
Why does it matter that they are female?

It matters, that is why people are bitching about it.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That doesn't change the idea that they could at least try to add 1 or 2 more to the game. In Smash Bros Melee we got Princess Zelda that was a very welcome and needed addition. In here we just go a variation of a character, nothing more.

It is irritating to see that with this iteration of Smash Bros. that we haven't gotten a unique, new female to the lineup.

What is it about being female that makes the difference - especially when this is a fanservice game drawing from a pool of games that are overwhelmingly patriarchal in nature?

I cannot believe I actually used the word 'patriarchal' in a discussion about SSBB.

Teasel

Hcoregamer00 said:
It matters, that is why people are bitching about it.
actualy i'm wondering the same thing... it would be like someone going
"EHY GUYS I'M HAPPY THEY ADDED DIDDY,THIS INCREASE THE NUMBER OF FURRY CHARACTER AND WE NEEDED MORE OF THEM OTHER THAN FOX AND DONKEY KONG!"
or
"EHY GUYS I'M HAPPY THEY ADDED META-KNIGHT,THIS INCREASE THE NUMBER OF CHARACTER WHO USE A SWORD AND WE NEEDED MORE OF THEM OTHER THAN LINK AND MARTH!"

I'm not going to read every post since Lucas was announced.

But congrats to Amir0x! -golf claps-

I knew the second this was announced that people were going to be screaming "OMG! NESS IS OUT! NESS IS OUT!!!!!!!!!"

What I think:

From the comment on the site

While he is timid in nature, he fights splendidly. Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!

I think that once you beat the game with Lucas you get the "Challenger Approaching" message and have to fight Ness as Lucas. If you defeat him you unlock him.

Scribble

The only bad thing about putting a female into Brawl would be putting a female in Brawl because she's female. I don't think anyone would object as long as they liked the character in the original franchise.

Pinkle for Brawl. Lol.

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
What is it about being female that makes the difference - especially when this is a fanservice game drawing from a pool of games that are overwhelmingly patriarchal in nature?

I cannot believe I actually used the word 'patriarchal' in a discussion about SSBB.

That doesn't give them an excuse for not adding more female characters in a game.

It didn't stop them from adding females in the previous games.

Don't even get me started on the "3rd party additions" that they could potentially add.

Scribble

Hcoregamer00 said:
That doesn't give them an excuse for not adding more female characters in a game.

Don't even get me started on the "3rd party additions" that they could potentially add.

The thing is, people generally prefer Sonic and Megaman to Lara Croft and Chun Li or whoever. And it's nothing to do with gender.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Thread title should read: Smash Bros. Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread - Amir0x cumload

This will be like Ness in SSB. I dont know anything about him but he will be cool anyway.
Ness is still in btw.

It boils down to the fact that adding in more and more females is pretty much a logistical impossibility.

Fact: The roster is limited.

Fact: The people who get into the roster will have to be frontliners of their respective games/franchises.

Fact: There are very few frontliner females in Nintendo's gaming lineup.

Also, concerning 3rd party:

Fact: According to Sakurai, there is 2 or 3 at most.

Fact: This means that the struggle for 3rd party characters is going to be even more brutal than the struggle amongst 1st party

Fact: Like I said, in all of gamingdom, there are very few frontliner females in games.

NeonZ

I still think Micaiah has good chances.

She's the main character who's around during most of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn,
sharing the lead later with Ike, who is already in SSBB, though he's using his Path of Radiance costume
and uses light magic to battle, so she wouldn't be just another weapon user, and has a decent selection of attacks from FE9's spell list.

Rocksteady33

God dammit, I just don't want to see Ness gone. If Lucas retains Ness' up+B, down+B and B move then I won't really mind. If they replace left/right+B that's not a huge deal.

Did Lucas ever use a bat? ARGH, Ness was the best character in the game!

I'll probably like Lucas as much as I like Ness, which means only when he's on the recieving end of a homerun bat. :D Makes me want to play some Earthbound.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
The more characters, the better, so I'd be happy to see both lucas and ness in the game, but it wont really make that much difference to me if ness is in it or not. I suck with him in melee.

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
Lyn is the main character in the same way Mist is.
I actually do think of Mist as a main character too. And if she was in with the ability to use a staff and a sword I'd be very happy.

Scribble said:
I'd definitely call Wario Ware a big franchise. It's Mona who I think of as a sidekick. >_>

Pureauthor said:
Gameplay diversity. There are two significant things I want: more heavyweight characters, and more fast characters. The former is kind of hard to get because most heavyweights are pretty huge and would have to be shrunken to be playable... That leaves speedy characters.
Too many people had average speed in SSBM, which just led to complaints like Dr. Hadji's (I think it was him), who said that against someone like Peach or Jigglypuff who can stay in the air practically indefinitely, most characters are just going to be annoyed because they can't touch them. Most of the female characters who would actually get in would probably be fast fighters.

ShockingAlberto said:
fap fap fap, I think.
Not to Paula or Lip or Jill or Midna or Mona or Kat & Ana, no. >_> I'd still be happy to see any of them.
Needless to say, Krystal will be the one who gets in, entirely because I hate her. At least there's an off-chance for Daisy. And maybe Ling from AWDS2 if they decide to represent the new characters instead of the old ones.

Teasel

Hcoregamer00 said:

the point is that they haven't added "female characters" they added peach and zelda and the reason they weren't there from the beginning is because the original smash bros was a small project,it did had only a single character for franchise with the only 2 exception being luigi and jigglypuff which strangely comes from the 2 biggest nintendo franchise and are the most popular character right after mario/pikachu

Teasel said:
with the only 2 exception being luigi and jigglypuff which strangely comes from the 2 biggest nintendo franchise and are the most popular character right after mario/pikachu

A crying shame, since Charizard is the best Pokemon ever.

Gameplay diversity. There are two significant things I want: more heavyweight characters, and more fast characters. The former is kind of hard to get because most heavyweights are pretty huge and would have to be shrunken to be playable... That leaves speedy characters.
Too many people had average speed in SSBM, which just led to complaints like Dr. Hadji's (I think it was him), who said that against someone like Peach or Jigglypuff who can stay in the air practically indefinitely, most characters are just going to be annoyed because they can't touch them. Most of the female characters who would actually get in would probably be fast fighters.

We thus run back into the problem where you can't just make up a fighter in SSBB - you have to select from a pool of characters available, and the pool is limited - esp. for females.

If they really want, they can start making some franchises with female leads.

But hey, Dr. Kawashima's big mug will probably make it in first.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Needless to say, Krystal will be the one who gets in, entirely because I hate her. At least there's an off-chance for Daisy. And maybe Ling from AWDS2 if they decide to represent the new characters instead of the old ones.

Unfortunately, Krystal is probably the most likely female character to get in at this point. I mean, wielding her staff would be interesting, but as a character, there's not much to like there.

Daisy might get in, but I don't see how she could be anything but a Peach clone. She's been a Peach clone right from day one and that hasn't really changed since. The problem is that she appears in almost nothing but sports games.

The Mario females I'd really like to see are Birdo and Vivian...but then I remember that both of them have rather ambiguous genders...

Scribble

I wouldn't like to see Daisy in Brawl. She's pretty bland, IMO, and that's not just because she looks like Peach.

Mona would be cool, though - she's probably the most "important" WarioWare character that isn't Wario. She's Wario's Peach, more or less (And one of the only WarioWare characters who have like, actually interacted with Wario), and she's been in every single WarioWare. Her role changing is pretty cool, too, something that could be incorporated into her WW incarnation.

mk7lvc.gif

5e5yu0.jpg

JKBii

JKBii said:
There is not enough bitching in this thread. I'm tired of Sakurai ignoring handicapped characters in his games. Some people have been saying Sakurai is only doing this because he doesn't have enough options to choose from, but that's just BS. Cranky Kong has a cane, that's a start. Then there's the guy who had a boulder fall on him in Golden Sun II and Professor X from X-Men, both powerful and memorable characters. Sakurai has a wide variety of handicapped characters but he continues to ignore them all.

I know I've been pulling for Andross to get a spot since you know, he lost every body part but his head, but I wanted him to be fully playable. By making him an assist trophie he is marginalizing Andross so I am bitching about that and I will continue to bitch about it until Sakurai makes him and several other handicapped characters make the cut.

Obviously the problem lies in the development team. There simply aren't enough handicapped people on dev teams. I'm not talking about the interns that get hired because their coffee runs go by quicker of they hold the handle of a car door, I'm talking about handicapped people controlling the storyline, the art direction, and yes, I want handicapped game directors too. Maybe then the industry will wake up and start making games taylored to handicapped people so the few handicapped gamers out there can feel more comfortable with a hobby dominated by functional people.

Chemo

The "Wah wah, where are more female characters" thing is pathetic. Character sex has no bearing on the gameplay whatsoever, and if your personal enjoyment of Super Smash Bros Brawl is sullied by the lack of fictional girls on the roster then you have bigger things to worry about than video games.

monkey79

Claus is Lucas's Brother. He would make a great character. Just be careful reading about him. His character has a lot of spoilers for mother 3.

Chemo said:
The "Wah wah, where are more female characters" thing is pathetic. Character sex has no bearing on the gameplay whatsoever, and if your personal enjoyment of Super Smash Bros Brawl is sullied by the lack of fictional girls on the roster then you have bigger things to worry about than video games.

What's so wrong about having wants? I will still enjoy this game as much as I loved melee. The want itself is like any other want. I want X character or X series. What's the big deal with wanting them? I don't get why this has started a fight.

And any want not fullfilled "sullies" an experiance because it's not perfect, and as nothing can be perfect, that's kind of a moot point.

Edit: Also, I got one of my wants. Ike is in and he's a power player. That suits me very well. If I don't get Krystal or Daisy or Midna or Hector or Sonic for that matter. If I don't, I'll deal. Might bitch a bit, but this is GAf. It's what we do. We bitch and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom