• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
We thus run back into the problem where you can't just make up a fighter in SSBB - you have to select from a pool of characters available, and the pool is limited - esp. for females.
Yeah, I'm aware. :( There aren't many viable ones left.
At least there's the likelihood for more heavyweights. I expect at least one character out of King Dedede and K. Rool to get in.

Iam Canadian said:
Daisy might get in, but I don't see how she could be anything but a Peach clone. She's been a Peach clone right from day one and that hasn't really changed since.
Daisy can't float as far as I know, and she's more of a strength-based character whereas Peach is more technical.

Chemo said:
Character sex has no bearing on the gameplay whatsoever
But it usually does. Males are usually strong with average speed and females are usually fast with average strength. That's one reason why the game is so tilted toward average speed characters.

Edit: Okay, I'm out of here for now. Too much time debating in here when in fact I should be playing Sin and Punishment for the first time.

Firestorm

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
:lol :lol :lol Incredible.

If you haven't seen those, the guy made another one:

http://creativeworlds.net/

10yj1gh.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I have to say, this does cast some doubt on Ness... It would be one thing if they just looked similar, but judging by the Lucas pics, their movesets are very similar too. If Ness is in, his moves might be changed quite a bit to differentiate. And that would probably make Ness players almost as angry as not including him.

Actually, I wouldn't be averse to them leaving out Ness in favor of Jeff. He lends himself well to an entertaining and unique moveset.

This female characters shit is the most hilarious thing to hit this thread in a long while. I'm not against someone like Sami perhaps getting included in the game, but that has absolutely nothing to do with her being female. Other than that I can't think of a single girl character that has the slightest chance of making it in.

GamerSoul

Ah, the periodical female characters in Brawl discussion. It never gets old :D

You know there's a problem when Krystal is one of the only females that has a very good chance in Brawl.

Duderz

Banned
Having never played Mother 3, I'm wondering if Mr. Saturn is in that game as well. We've already seen him in this game through those Snake pics at TGS, so what I'm getting at is that if he isn't in Mother 3 but is in the game, that makes Ness' inclusion that much more likely.

I just don't get everyone saying that Ness is out; Earthbound / Mother is a big enough franchise that it can have two characters. Ness has been in both previous entries, so he's built up enough of a fanbase through that alone.

Ness will be in. As will every character who was in SSB and SSBM.

SantaC

Gold Member
GamerSoul said:
Ah, the periodical female characters in Brawl discussion. It never gets old :D

You know there's a problem when Krystal is one of the only females that has a very good chance in Brawl.

not enough female heroes on nintendo, however they could go with a 3rd party female heroine.

like...uh...like...Jill Valentine!

Duderz

Banned
Capndrake said:
They are.

Well, then there goes that argument...Ness is still in!

I also hope King Dedede makes it in. At this point, since Lyn isn't playable, I'm not going to be picky anymore.

Rindain

Banned
Females I'd like to see in Brawl:

Midna: very likely in my opinion
Gandrayda: would be cool, but would only happen after Ridley
Chun Li: would be awesome...Street Fighter 2 arguably made the SNES

Chun-li would be an awesome addition. And definitly a good choice from capcom, but I imagine the Blue Bomber will bethe Capcom addition. Things to consider.

GamerSoul

Rindain said:

Chun li would kick ass, but Ryu tops her unfortunately. So does Ken Masters, I love that name.

ant1532

Banned
For the people saying Sakurai said 2-3 more third party characters at most are taking what he said out of context. He said He will try and add 2-3 more or something more like that. He never gave a definite answer though.

Edit - fixed grammar, typed originally on iPhone.

Ferrio

Banned
Rindain said:

Athena_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Firestorm said:
If you haven't seen those, the guy made another one:

http://creativeworlds.net/

10yj1gh.jpg

I can't believe there is someone out in that big wide world of ours who is not only a fan of Nidorina but is so damn talented that they'd make an animated .gif of her beating the everloving crap out of all the Smash Bros. characters (bar Flint.)

Also I'm not really the type who goes for a flat-out insult here, but to those who are arguing for female characters for absolutely no other reason than to play as characters that don't have a Y chromosome, bloody go and get a life, seriously. I can understand if you wanted to play as Midna for her tiny size, teleporting skills and great amorphous hand/hair appendage, or even if you found her deviously impish character a draw in Twilight Princess, but so far all it sounds like is that you want female characters in the game for the soul purpose of playing as a character that has (or theoretically should, or probably does in some deep dark fanart site on the net) a nice pair of firm, round breasts.

Rindain

Banned
GamerSoul said:
Chun li would kick ass, but Ryu tops her unfortunately. So does Ken Masters, I love that name.

You never know, though. Chun Li would help satisfy Sakurai's desire for more females, and if Capcom is somehow hesitant about loaning out Megaman or Ryu/Ken, they may go for her. I'd say she is one of the top 5 most iconic Capcom characters, easily.

As for Megaman, I haven't seen any potential move lists for him. In the games he gains the powers of his defeated foes--how would they incorporate that into Smash?

Rindain said:
You never know, though. Chun Li would help satisfy The Gaming community's desire for more females

Sakurai never stated any desire for adding more girls. It's supposed to be gaming All-Stars, not "Basement Dweller Fap-Session".

As for Megaman, I haven't seen any potential move lists for him. In the games he gains the powers of his defeated foes--how would they incorporate that into Smash?

Here

B: Buster shot (hold to charge)
Forward B: Power Copy (grabs the enemy (very similar to Bowser's Forward-B) and takes their Forward-B attack, as opposed to Kirby taking their normal B)
Down-B: Kick-Slide (used in all Megaman games 3+)
Up-B: Flaming Uppercut (was his up special in MvC and MvC2)

Final Smash: Rush Upgrade (Megaman 6,7, and I think R&F); Megaman fuses with Rush, gaining flight abilities and enhanced firepower (similar to Diddy's Final Smash)

Rindain said:
You never know, though. Chun Li would help satisfy Sakurai's desire for more females, and if Capcom is somehow hesitant about loaning out Megaman or Ryu/Ken, they may go for her. I'd say she is one of the top 5 most iconic Capcom characters, easily.

Mega Man move list?
What about this?
B: shoot(hold to charge)/absorbed power
up-B: Rush spring
Down B: Slide
Forward B: Rush Jet.

The bolded one sucks, but it's the best I can think of at the moment, and I can't come up with a good absorb move either.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Sakurai never stated any desire for adding more girls. It's supposed to be gaming All-Stars, not "Basement Dweller Fap-Session".

He said he wanted to add more females and villians, didn't he? I thought I read that somewhere.

Haunted

I had King Dedede and King K.Rool as shoe-ins for boss encounters, but I guess one of them could go through as playable.

The inclusion of franchise characters as bosses in the game messed a bit with my expectations about playable villains to be honest. Good thing Meta-Knight was confirmed from the beginning so I don't think I need to fear for Ganondorf, my favourite.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Haunted One said:
I had King Dedede and King K.Rool as shoe-ins for boss encounters, but I guess one of them could go through as playable.

The inclusion of franchise characters as bosses in the game messed a bit with my expectations about playable villains to be honest. Good thing Meta-Knight was confirmed from the beginning so I don't think I need to fear for Ganondorf, my favourite.

they could get around it by using Phantom Ganon during the Subspace Emissary, or just plain old Ganon (by which point old 'dorf's Final Smash would have to be something different, like using his horse to gallop about and kick you in the shins.)

SuperAngelo64 said:
He did at one point say he wanted more females, but he also mentioned that ZSS was the step he was taking for it. He never said "I WANT SIX MORE WOMEN AT LEAST"

Haunted One said:

I really think Boss characters in Adventure mode will be oversized enemies from franchises that can't really be played, much like Arcade games in the old days. Sadly, if that theory is true Ridley will most likely be a boss. But I would almost bet money that DeDeDe would NOT be a non-playable Boss-only character.

ant1532 said:
For the people saying Sakurai said 2-3 more thirdy party characters at most are taking what he said out of context. He said He will try and add 2-3 more or something more like that He never gave a definite answer though

so that means the sky is the limit!

ant1532

Banned
Linkzg said:
so that means the sky is the limit!
Well I wouldn't get hopes up, but people are locking it at 2-3 saying that he said that's the most he will add. He can get only 1 more for all we know, but it's not like he said there will for sure be 2-3 more.

Prax

I don't want Krystal in the game.. ;_; She's a loser... (lol..
Kursed
!)
I'd even rather have Farah Phoenix or Kat Monroe...

I still think Macaiah might have a chance (And if they throw in Ira somehow, I will be extremely happy as well--but she's another sword user. I don't want the character roster to be overloaded with sword users.)

Also, can't some Baten Kaitos characters make it in now?

Hmmm.. Nintendo needs to invent more franchises (preferably with more leading ladies). It'd be nice to have SSBB introduce a new franchise as a surprise... Like an RPG.. maybe something Tales of-ish.. with.. Ogre Battle elements... *wistfully rambles*

Prax said:
I don't want Krystal in the game.. ;_; She's a loser... (lol..
Kursed
!)
I'd even rather have Farah Phoenix or Kat Monroe...

I still think Macaiah might have a chance (And if they throw in Ira somehow, I will be extremely happy as well--but she's another sword user. I don't want the character roster to be overloaded with sword users.)

Hmmm.. Nintendo needs to invent more franchises (preferably with more leading ladies). It'd be nice to have SSBB introduce a new franchise as a surprise... Like an RPG.. maybe something Tales of-ish.. with.. Ogre Battle elements... *wistfully rambles*

Wasn't Farah the character from the Nintendo power comics? and Kat from Star Fox 2?

Edit: Poor Krystal no one likes her cause she because a goth.
Lawls Kursed

Jiggy

Prax said:
I hope not. Just because the only ones with a shot would be Kalas or Sagi, and the last thing we need is yet more sword fighters.
...Which is actually a problem with gaming in general. Why must main heroes in RPGs always use a sword? :/ I would have taken Hector or even Ephraim over Ike so fast--and I hate Ephraim, but at least he'd be a lance user. Edit: For that matter, I probably would have taken Sothe over Ike, and I really hate Sothe. But daggers are different enough from swords. Plus he'd be another fast character, which we need more of.

Yeah, they need to make an action RPG sooner or later. It's like the one genre Nintendo has never really attem--well, no, they "attempted" it with Super Paper Mario. It's more like the one genre Nintendo has never actually pulled off.

crowphoenix said:
Lawls Kursed
I don't like her because her entry into the series came at the same time as its downfall. :( Not that that has anything to do with her, but still. I kind of want Nintendo to ignore every Star Fox game since 1997 and make a new one that Reggie can call the first true sequel to Star Fox 64.

Haunted

Jiggy37 said:
I hope not. Just because the only ones with a shot would be Kalas or Sagi, and the last thing we need is yet more sword fighters.
...Which is actually a problem with gaming in general. Why must main heroes in RPGs always use a sword? :/ I would have taken Hector or even Ephraim over Ike so fast--and I hate Ephraim, but at least he'd be a lance user. Edit: For that matter, I probably would have taken Sothe over Ike, and I really hate Sothe. But daggers are different enough from swords. Plus he'd be another fast character, which we need more of.
Eliwood also uses a lance.

Jiggy37 said:
I don't like her because her entry into the series came at the same time as its downfall. :( Not that that has anything to do with her, but still. I kind of want Nintendo to ignore every Star Fox game since 1997 and make a new one that Reggie can call the first true sequel to Star Fox 64.

Agreed. Plus, despited the fact I like her, her character's been all sorts of off. She's the most 'out of character' character I've ever seen. I enjoyed Adventures mainly because of Fox's snarky attitude, which I found funny, but it could have been better.

Assault? Air combat was good, but only three levels?

Command? I loved it. I got the controlls, and I had a good time with the crazy space opera plot, but I can see why it was a turn off.

Anyway, I'm ok with Ike becuase at least he's going to a slow, strong character, which suits me well as Fox and Marth are a little hard for me to control.

EDIT: but you know what, all this talking about weapons has made me wish the Hammer Bro were a main fighter. That'd be awesome.

Prax

crowphoenix said:
Wasn't Farah the character from the Nintendo power comics? and Kat from Star Fox 2?

Lawls Kursed

I think even Nintendo dislikes Krystal seeing the treatment she got from Command. I saw Command as a way of Nintendo "correcting" the mess both Rare and Namco did in the Starfox universe.
Pairing stupid Krystal with stupid Panther.. two birds with one stone??
XD

Kat was from Starfox 64! XD She also made a cameo in Starfox Adventures and Starfox Command (but she turned grey? I guess she stopped dying her fur or something.. oO). The other little known Starfox 2 girls were Fay the poodle and Miyu the lynx. It'd be awesome if they made it in as assist trophies at least! Lucy and Amanda can also be assists.

And yah, I think Farah was from the comics only (or.. I don't recall her being in any games..). Maybe Krystal and her can fight over Fox or something... in the next space opera (that NINTENDO better make).

Err.. now where was I...

Oh, and putting additional females aside, Wolf should be a playable character this time. He's awesome... eyepatches are awesome!

crowphoenix said:
Command? I loved it. I got the controlls, and I had a good time with the crazy space opera plot, but I can see why it was a turn off.
You and me, man, we're like the only people in the world who will ever think this.

civilstrife said:
Heh, I just realised.

Is that Lucas in Amir0x's avatar all this time?
Talk about his dream come true.
Good to know I wasn't the only person who smacked his forehead in sudden relization of who Amir0x's avatar is thanks to today's update.

Zeed

Banned
OliveJuice said:
Which game?

Edit: Never mind, Path of Radiance.
No, Radiant Dawn.

He was in Path of Radiance but his role was minimal. He becomes one of the Main Characters in Radiant Dawn.

goomba

Banned
Id like to see Harry Potter, ET, Michael Jackson, Mary Kate and Ashley, Marty McFly, Terminator, Robocop, Alien, and Frodo included (they were all in games) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom