• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
ibdZuX3uoXiMoT.png

Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Developer/Publisher: Capcom
Genre: Hunting Action
Release Date: September 14, 2013 (Japan)

Multiplayer: Up to 4 players online and local play
Price: 5990 yen
Digital version: 13,920 blocks, approx. 1.74gigs
Official Website: http://www1.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/4/

Screens (Taken from the official MH4 site)

Fields

What's in Monster Hunter 4?

Multi-tiered hunting
Unlike previous Monster Hunter games, you now have the ability to climb up walls swiftly as well as jump off cliffs and wall faces. The terrain is also varied in height, meaning both you and monsters can attack from above and below, unlike the flat terrain in past MH games. You can also attack in mid-air, and if you score a lucky hit on a monster, you'll knock them down and ride them rodeo-style. Hang on and keep on stabbity-stab-stabbing them until you score a knockdown or they brush you off! Monsters can also climb on walls too, meaning no place is ever safe! All of the returning weapons will also get new attacks to accommodate for this new wrinkle in the combat system.

Felyne Comrades Return!
Monster Hunter Tri and 3 Ultimate introduced us to Cha-Cha and Kayamba, but this time around we're getting Felynes as our companions on quests. Unlike the mighty duo of MH Tri, Felynes can be equipped with armor and weapons, and can also team up to do mighty combo attacks.

Zombie Monsters!?
action_img_13.jpg
action_img_14.jpg

When a monster dies, a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead. But sometimes, something so bad happens that a terrible sadness is carried with it and the soul can't rest. Then sometimes, just sometimes, the crow can bring that soul back to put the wrong things right. Er, sorry.

But sometimes when a monster is slayed... they come back to life. Zombie monsters? Not exactly, but what happens is that the monsters become infected and go a bit nuts. Actually, they go freakin' nuts and become even more unpredictable with their attacks. An infected monster will do even more damage to a hunter, and infect them with the same virus. If you succumb to the virus, any time you get hit any red regenerative health you had will go bye-bye. However, if you can hit the monster back enough, you'll conquer the virus, "synchronize" with it and power up.

Online play
The portable version finally goes online! No longer restricted to local play, players can play with others online, and search using a variety of criteria. Meet up in a gathering hall, pick your quest and get to work! You can apparently communicate via text chat or preset messages.

Guild Quests
New to the series are Guild Quests. Hunters will explore an area called the Unknown Woods via an Exploration Quest to hunt monsters and excavate weathered/ancient weapons and armor. The layout of the Unknown Woods changes every time you enter it, and so too do the monsters and the gear you can find. Once you have excavated something, you'll need to have it examined and polished up before you can find out what it is. The gear you find starts off as "rusted", but getting it polished up is well worth it; you may find say, a Rathalos helm, but it may differ in look and stats compared to the normal one you forge via slaying a Rathalos! The more you do these Exploration Quests, the higher the chance of a rare monster showing up! If you find that a particular quest had some great loot or a monster that you want to keep hunting for materials, you can save that to your Guild Quests and then share it with others via StreetPass. You can also play these quests with friends online!

New weapons: Sochukon staff and Charge Axe
iFteAlpzjvr0a.png

Two new weapons are at your disposal in Monster Hunter 4. The Sochukon is a staff-like weapon that has the ability to shoot out "markers" that do little damage to monsters. This weapon is coupled with a insect called the Hunting Bug (Ryochu) that, when commanded, will fly to the location that the staff marked and will suck out monster extract. The effect of the extract varies depending on where you hit the monster with the marker. You can receive a movement, defense, attack or regenerative boost. You can also get multiple boosts at the same time! Combining boosts will also make effects more powerful. i.e. If you get a movement and defense boost, you'll receive better defense plus the Earplugs skill for a short time.

The other new weapon is called the Charge Axe, and like the Switch Axe, hunters can switch between two modes: Sword/Shield and Axe. Phials will begin to charge while in Sword mode, and then when the phials turn yellow or red, press a button to store the energy. Then when in Axe mode, you can use this stored up energy to deal even more damage and even stun the monster.

NEW MOOOOOOOOOOOOONSTERSSSSSSSSSSS
ibiMJZ41Nf6oHc.png

Gore Magala: The poster boy of the game. It emits a black, plague-like cloud that infects hunters and weakens them.
Zaboazagil: A shark-like monster that swims under the water to attack its prey from beneath. It can also balloon in size and crush enemies with its immense weight.
Garara Ajara: A snake-like monster that can constrict its prey. It shoots out projectiles that stick into the ground, and when it rattles its tail these shards shatter, producing an ear-shattering sound.
Kechawacha: A monkey-like monster that can fly. It also uses its ears to hide its face when enraged.
Tetsukabura: A frog-like monster with huge tusks. It can lift up boulders from the ground to crush its prey.
Neruskyura: A spider-like monster that can attack from the ground or above with its webbing.
Alseltas: A flying insect that can attack with projectiles.
Genel Alseltas: A crab-like monster that attacks with its fore claws and its scorpion-like tail. It can work in tandem with Alseltas, and can even fly when Alseltas grabs it.

Returning Monsters
Kirin, Rajang, Zinogre, Rathian, Rathalos, Tigrex, Kusha Daora, Teostra, Gravios, Basarios, Lagombi, Khezu, Yian Kut-kut, Yian Garuga, Congalala, Gypceros, Iodrome, Great Jaggi, Gendrome, Velocidrome

Bonus Content
Like all Monster Hunter games, this one has a ton of bonus content to entice gamers who haven't experienced the series. This time around, we're getting Mario and Luigi outfits for your Felyne comrades, and... Link armor with accompanying weapons!

1378643124-mh4-x-link.jpg
1378643109-mh4-x-link.jpg

Credit to Endless for the screens

tzW3Xc1.png

Credit to Tenki for the screens

There will also be special Nintendo-themed backgrounds for your Guild Cards (basically your character info to exchange via StreetPass).

BTo6i5LCUAAb1Rh.jpg
BTo6w81CUAAdLwb.jpg

Credit to Garou for the screenshots.

Videos
Opening Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9de7mRhXWk
Monster Hunter 4 Direct: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Tfg6ojxr0
Mario & Luigi Felyne Comrades: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDeIvp200L0&feature=youtu.be
Link armor and weapons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnEFmtKWUUY
TV Spot 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6niNq11cMBE
Trailer 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5G6FcC4Nns
Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3CsdHzVjY
Trailer 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05GVsk_smO4
Trailer 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-NaW2WGHdY
Trailer 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XInD7Hz47MI

Links/Helpful Resources
Gaijin Hunter: Great blog from an English-speaker in Japan who's hardcore into Monster Hunter.
Monster Hunter Wikia

Friend Codes
If anyone is importing the game, or if you're a part of Japan GAF and plan on buying the game and need some friends, send me a PM to get your friend code listed here. Please include your hunter name in your PM. Also make sure to send a PM to anyone you're adding!

Oichi: 0602-6555-3879 - 北浜アンディ
Zornica: 5000-2755-2639 - Zornica
InternHertz: 0087-2351-6428 - さくら
Anura: 4940 5820 4761 - Mary
RagingA: 5155-4269-8153
Kyuuketsu_Night: 4828 4787 5917
RyougaSaotome: 5327-0852-6433
Zenaku: 3609-1093-1753 - レン
gashikun-FLCL: 5241-3156-6584 - gashikun
Netto-kun: 1478-3663-3445
Shurayuki: 4081-6450-5195 - LoVendoR
sdarkshadow: 3823-9444-1906
Parakeetman: 1779-0571-9762 - ラビ
Hasemo: 5413-0722-0244
ranmafan: 3179-6099-1468
komaruR: 4914-3291-4688 - komaru
Festwill: 2895-7514-6707 - Selenae
la_briola: 0877-1178-4278
HipHopCat: 2938-7021-0623
CommonWriter: 4038-7440-3862 - CommonW1
Tenbatsu: 0559-7153-4662 - Tenbatsu
Kaji 0834-1729-7762 - Kaji
Kuren: 1676-4082-8665
Amankhan: 2552-1656-3266 Jonathan
Yagami-sama: 1891-1879-7556 - 八神様

ipTGchCICQCQ4.jpg

Please be excited.

Hellraider

I hate you Japan/import GAF!

Can't wait for the first impressions!

EDIT:BTW, Oichi, when does your localisation teasing begin? :D

All this extra Nintendo love and push all but confirms that they are trying to Soul Calibur II this. Between that and online, there is no way this game doesn't come out in the rest of the world. Hopefully we don't have to wait for the expansion this time.

Alrus

Still don't get why, out of all the 3rd gen monster they could have brought back, they chose Lagombi and the Great Jaggi. (At least we get Zinogre which is totally awesome).

Outside of that, well, I can't wait for this to be localized :) In the meantime I'll go back to MH3U.

Kouriozan

It's gonna be hard reading this thread once it's released in Japan, hope we'll get a localization announcement soon enough.
Like always, I'll be the Hunting Horn guys supporting my teammates, see you in 2015! >.<

ranmafan

Im so looking forward to playing this on Saturday. Especially online as I've never really been able to play multiplayer in the past games due to my friends lacking interest in the series, and I never really could get the whole ps3 setup thing going with MHP3. Anyway next weekend will be a blast!

john tv

Getting this a big, fat, two days early. CAN NOT WAIT.

I remember when MH3 came out, we were actually localizing the US version at the time and after 12 hour crazy work days, we'd go home and...play the JP version online. LOL.

Working on different crazy projects this time around, but still planning to end each day with a nice big serving of MONHAN baby. :D

shwimpy

I remember when MH3 came out, we were actually localizing the US version at the time and after 12 hour crazy work days, we'd go home and...play the JP version online. LOL.

Working on different crazy projects this time around, but still planning to end each day with a nice big serving of MONHAN baby. :D
Can't wait to hear your impressions on the podcast!

Mupod

I hate you lucky bastards and also hate region locks. I can play this series in japanese just fine but I'm too poor to buy another 3DS and import the game just to play it. But I would if I could.

Still don't get why, out of all the 3rd gen monster they could have brought back, they chose Lagombi and the Great Jaggi. (At least we get Zinogre which is totally awesome).

Outside of that, well, I can't wait for this to be localized :) In the meantime I'll go back to MH3U.

I highly doubt that's the full monster list. Just sayin'

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
BTW for anyone who wants to keep up with all of the new MH4 info, I recommend checking out Gaijin Hunter's blog (http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/) -- He translates pretty much everything from Famitsu and reports on new stuff from live demo events too.

DaBoss

I hope everyone has fun with the game. And I hope someone posts a full list with all monsters, I want to know all the secrets.

Bear

Can't wait for this game, especially with how much I've been playing MH3U lately.

I wonder how long it will take for the international release. I hope this one can actually get a timely localization, but with this series we're lucky if it comes out before the end of next year.

sirap

Really on the fence about this. I'll be going to Japan next week so I can buy it then but I really prefer to play this on my US 3DS.

How long do you think till they localize it? Or at least announce that they're planning to :p

I can't wait! I'll be sure to give my friend code to get friends on this version <3
I hope the shipping won't take long once it's sent though.

Meesh

This. Is. Awesome!!!!! Nnnnngh* I was hoping for Links outfit and weapons :) Kinda thought the Master Sword would be an LS but hey, beggars can't be choosers. The Mario outfits are a nice touch too.

Is it awkward that I'm literally worshipping the ground you walk on right now. *lights candles to John TV shrine*

Zenaku

The number of blocks is actually known, and has been up on the website for at least a few weeks. It uses 13920 blocks, which is 1740MB.

Sadly, it won't be put on the eShop at midnight, if the site is to be believed.

Do you know what is the name of the company responsible for the terrible MH3/MH3U localization of the 4 languages other than English (Spanish, French, Italian & German)?

sirap

I wish the Wii U port begging would stop. It really is in every MH4 thread.

That's the power of the MH franchise :p

Sony port begs are even worse, but I really can't blame PS3/Vita owners for being salty..they we're robbed of MHTri and the Vita just seems like a no brainer for MH.

What's ironic is how underwhelming western sales are for Tri Ultimate. This is the perfect proof of how little Gaf's opinions matter :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's the power of the MH franchise :p

Sony port begs are even worse, but I really can't blame PS3/Vita owners for being salty..they we're robbed of MHTri and the Vita just seems like a no brainer for MH.

What's ironic is how underwhelming western sales are for Tri Ultimate. This is the perfect proof of how little Gaf's opinions matter :p[/QUOTE]

...But combining 3DS and Wii U they're not underwhelming at all.

Ridley327

monster_img_28_05.jpg

Maybe this is some kind of illusion but he seems almost Alatreon-big there. Scary.

Gold and platinum crown Zinogres are that big, at least. Even regular sized Zin is pretty tall.

Day 1 for the US release when it releases in 2015 and is eShop exclusive

Top Bottom