• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Now launches September 14

Draugoth

Gold Member
F2DUCxNagAAtApo

Monster Hunter Now will launch for iOS via App Store and Android via Google Play on September 14, Niantic and Capcom announced. Pre-registration is available now.

Get the latest details below.
A total of 13 monsters will be available in the game at worldwide launch: Great Jagras, Kulu-Ya-Ku, Pukei-Pukei, Barroth, Great Girros, Tobi-Kadachi, Jyuratodus, Paolumu, Anjanath, Rathian, Legiana, Rathalos and Diablos. To learn more about these monsters visit here. These monsters will be found in unique habitats such as forest areas, desert areas, or swamp areas. As hunters explore around their towns, they’ll discover these habitats and find monsters specific to those areas.
Weapons: weapons including “Sword & Shield,” “Great Sword,” “Long Sword,” “Hammer,” “Light Bowgun,” and “Bow” will be available at worldwide launch.
Most importantly, Monster Hunter Now will release worldwide on September 14, 2023. This collaboration between Capcom and Niantic has been years in the making, and we can’t wait to bring the world of Monster Hunter to the palm of your hands. In the meantime, don’t forget to pre-register for the game on iOS via App Store and Android via Google Play. The more pre-registrations we get leading up to the global release, the more rewards you can earn! Let’s work together to hit these global milestones and earn some great rewards at global launch.*
  • 500,000 pre-registrations – Potion x10 and Paintball x3
  • 1,000,000 pre-registrations – Founder Medal and Wander Pebble x3
  • 2,000,000 pre-registrations – Special Pre-Order Makeup x2 and Item Box Expansion +500
  • 3,000,000 pre-registrations – Special Pre-Order Makeup x2 and Double Rewards Ticket x3
  • 5,000,000 pre-registrations – 10k Zenny and Item Box Expansion +500

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
cool nice moment to snort some dusted glass
maybe some nice juicy taco chells with glass shards
and i cozy picknick on a highway around 2 am

Last edited:

Comandr

The game is available now. At least on iOS. And boy is it lacking. It’s essentially raid battle Pokémon go but somehow looks worse.

Hunter rank 6 and as far as I can tell there is only sword and shield and a handful of armor sets available from the 3 large monsters. Great Jagras, Kulu-Ya-Ku, and Pukei-Pukei.

The game feels maybe 1/10th of the way baked. There is very little to evidently do or even spend your money on. It feels like they designed a very shallow game around a cash shop rather than the other way around. Go figure. Not to mention the fights themselves are only about 10 seconds long. These don’t feel like dangerous monsters I’m doing a service in bringing down. I feel like a bully. Previous mainline MH games at least framed your genocidal tendencies as doing something good for the environment and canonically you’re only eliminating one of them. There’s no such pretense here. It’s just “see that monster? You can kill it.”

The only noteworthy thing is the tutorial character, Qualily “appears out of a portal from another world” suddenly and your Palico recognizes her and calls her out by name. This makes me wonder if we will see Qualily in another title.

It’s also noteworthy that this character has an actual name, and she isn’t just Fleet Hunter or Dingbat Handler.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm actually having a pretty fun time. It's reskinned Pokemon GO like everybody was expecting, but there's an actual game to be played too. I am no master of this simplified battle system, but it seems like if you dodge at the last minute and counter attack, you can actually do some of the advanced moves from the games. Like I just did a flurry rush with SnS vs. a Great Jagras. Haven't done much in the way of crafting gear/upgrading, but it seems to all be in the game.

I've been doing a lot of walking lately with my gf so this will be perfect.

I'm kind of annoyed that they lock certain monsters to certain biomes though, just like in Pokemon GO. I live in a fucking desert and it's always a desert here according to these games, so fuck me if I want any of the swamp monster gear I guess. "just buy a plane ticket to Louisiana Pejo" - Niantic, probably.

*edit*

Just got some of the other systems unlocked, upgrading seems straightforward and good, craftable sets are in too, as well as elemental strength/weaknesses for particular weapon trees. Yea I'm pretty happy with it. It ain't MH6 but this one will motivate me to go get some hot fresh air and scratch that monhun itch, I'll give it a go for a while. I'm curious to see how the group hunts work.

For anyone that wants free stuff, use my referral code when you sign up: H5J8H9TK

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it will probably make more money than all the monster hunters combined.

Eh… yeah if it finds an audience it may. But the issue is that most MH fans wouldn’t go near it. So the trick would be to sell micro transactions of a MH phone game to non-MH fans. Doesn’t seem like that would be an easy sell, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

NOW gives us World 2 or Paradise ya fools. But seriously, when is TGS? We better get MH6 announcement.
Now that Rise and Sunbreak have winded down, time for what’s next should be coming soon. Seems like World 2 would be up next vs the next “handheld” one.

rsouzadk

I am ready for World 2. It has been too long (platinumed world basegame and iceborne dlc... god i miss that time).

Rambone

I'm actually having a pretty fun time. It's reskinned Pokemon GO like everybody was expecting, but there's an actual game to be played too. I am no master of this simplified battle system, but it seems like if you dodge at the last minute and counter attack, you can actually do some of the advanced moves from the games. Like I just did a flurry rush with SnS vs. a Great Jagras. Haven't done much in the way of crafting gear/upgrading, but it seems to all be in the game.

I've been doing a lot of walking lately with my gf so this will be perfect.

I'm kind of annoyed that they lock certain monsters to certain biomes though, just like in Pokemon GO. I live in a fucking desert and it's always a desert here according to these games, so fuck me if I want any of the swamp monster gear I guess. "just buy a plane ticket to Louisiana Pejo" - Niantic, probably.

*edit*

Just got some of the other systems unlocked, upgrading seems straightforward and good, craftable sets are in too, as well as elemental strength/weaknesses for particular weapon trees. Yea I'm pretty happy with it. It ain't MH6 but this one will motivate me to go get some hot fresh air and scratch that monhun itch, I'll give it a go for a while. I'm curious to see how the group hunts work.

For anyone that wants free stuff, use my referral code when you sign up: H5J8H9TK
The biomes alternate. I started in a desert, left for the day and came home and now the biome is a swamp.

I dig it. It’s dodging and attacking and hitting weak spots and grinding gear. It’s one-handed MonHun and they nailed it. It’ll be interesting to see how it fares.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean , I know there are a lot of very very veeerryy weak android phones out there.. 🤷‍♂️ :messenger_winking:

but the mobile bar has now been raised to full on console games by thios very same comapnay. there is no going back .

Pejo

The biomes alternate. I started in a desert, left for the day and came home and now the biome is a swamp.
Yea that's a great touch honestly. This game has a lot of stuff I wish Pokemon GO had when I still played it.

The easy party system to group up with your friends is very intuitive and you stay grouped, making each group hunt a simple ready check before starting. My gf and I have been walking around in the evenings and having a really good time with this. I also love the paintball system that lets you "mark" a tougher/rare monster and then you can wait until later and fight it at your house at your leisure.

I unlocked the rest of the launch weapons last night after hitting I think HR15 or so. I haven't had time to do a lot of fights with each yet, but I tried each weapon on the smaller enemies, and they seem to be as faithful as possible in a one-handed mobile game. Greatsword feels fantastic to use, actually, but it's quite difficult to use properly. Spacing and prediction is just as important as using it in the console games, but each hunt has a really short timer so I failed twice due to time outs on 2* monsters with it. I think it'll be easier to use in groups. Bow's charge feels a bit slow, but it's nice that they included some ranged options already. Longsword counter is in, feels very satisfying to use.

Anyways, you can tell at the beginning if you're a MH vet that it's gonna be a HELLA long grind. Like much worse than the console games. I don't look at it as a race though, just something fun to play when I'm out getting a bit of exercise or whatever.

They need to hurry up and get SA and IG in the game. I'm sure those mechanically complex weapons are gonna be tough to properly emulate with only taps, swipes, and holds though.

Skifi28

If I have to travel back and forth in the city to find new monsters, count me out. I play games to be lazy on my couch.

Rambone

Yea that's a great touch honestly. This game has a lot of stuff I wish Pokemon GO had when I still played it.

The easy party system to group up with your friends is very intuitive and you stay grouped, making each group hunt a simple ready check before starting. My gf and I have been walking around in the evenings and having a really good time with this. I also love the paintball system that lets you "mark" a tougher/rare monster and then you can wait until later and fight it at your house at your leisure.

I unlocked the rest of the launch weapons last night after hitting I think HR15 or so. I haven't had time to do a lot of fights with each yet, but I tried each weapon on the smaller enemies, and they seem to be as faithful as possible in a one-handed mobile game. Greatsword feels fantastic to use, actually, but it's quite difficult to use properly. Spacing and prediction is just as important as using it in the console games, but each hunt has a really short timer so I failed twice due to time outs on 2* monsters with it. I think it'll be easier to use in groups. Bow's charge feels a bit slow, but it's nice that they included some ranged options already. Longsword counter is in, feels very satisfying to use.

Anyways, you can tell at the beginning if you're a MH vet that it's gonna be a HELLA long grind. Like much worse than the console games. I don't look at it as a race though, just something fun to play when I'm out getting a bit of exercise or whatever.

They need to hurry up and get SA and IG in the game. I'm sure those mechanically complex weapons are gonna be tough to properly emulate with only taps, swipes, and holds though.

I'm loving the game so far and look forward to playing it while out on my walks with the Fiancée or pup. I can't get my partner to play Monster Hunter but she loves Pokemon GO at least. I'm really really looking forward to using some of the other weapons soon as they become available to me. I got some of my S&S's up to Gear level 2 which has helped me tremendously to reduce the amount of time it takes to take down a 2* large monster. I would nearly run out of time in a fight but now I can take them out in less than a minute. It took me about 6+ years to hit level 40 in Pokemon GO, I plan on taking my time in MHN but I suspect I'll probably be enjoying it for quite awhile. It's also nice to alternate between MHN and Pokemon GO when I've cleaned up an area.

Pejo

After putting in a few miles and trying out each of the weapons a bit more, I think Greatsword and Longsword are by far the most fun to use in this game. Greatsword positioning/timing is really satisfying when you get that big hit but it's unfortunately stymied a bit by the short hunt timer. You end up having to do a lot of level 1 charge attacks and dodging instead of setting proper distance and baiting specific moves to get the level 3 charge, since it takes so much time to do. I think GS is better in co-op when the monster isn't always focused on you.

Longsword, like usual, is crazy overpowered. The counter is really good and the spirit combo is just auto-combo by tapping now. I love that you can manually do helmsplitters without the special move button being charged if you get your sword to level 3. Though again, with how short the timer on the hunt is, you barely ever will get it maxed out. I feel like this would be a lot better of a game if the hunt timer was set to 3-5 mins limits instead of 90 seconds, and the monster HP got a boost. They actually did a pretty good job so far with adapting the movesets to basic touchpad interactions. It all feels fairly intuitive if you previously used the weapons in proper MH games.

I’m enjoying it. A bit more interactive than Pokémon go. It’s fun to open up and just do a few task. Don’t expect a full on rpg

Pejo

Looks like we're getting our first event quest this weekend. Some sort of Diablos hunt thing. Wonder if they'll do event armor as rewards.

1m9gnhxhacpb1.jpg

5rjzrhxhacpb1.jpg

Top Bottom