• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

T7I91oX.png

October is slowly shambling towards us, so it's time again for the 3rd annual 31 Days of Horror Movie Marathon! Remember gremlins and ghoulies, this thread is posted early to allow people time to begin hording movies if they wish to participate - please do not begin your marathon listing until Oct 1st.

What is 31 Days of Horror?

With an idea blatantly ripped off from the Arrow in the Head podcast, 31 Days of Horror is a torturous, self-inflected horror movie marathon in honor of Halloween attempted by only the most depraved of us. The survivors always come back for more (and sometimes the non-survivors too).
The goal of the marathon is to watch and share your thoughts on as many horror or Halloween themed movies as you can throughout the month of October - hopefully (though optional this year) doing a movie a day and reaching a full 31 movies by October 31st.

The MANDATORY Rules

- Beginning October 1st, watch as many full-length horror movies as you can until October 31st. Please only include movies watched or re-watched during this period.
- After each viewing, you must post which movie(s) you've watched and your thoughts on them. Be as brief or as detailed in your review as you'd like. Please number your movies to keep a running tally of your progress.

Example posting:
#1 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (Oct 1)
Impressions: Fun for the whole family. Reminds me of Sunday dinner at my house.

- Short films may be included - but should be 45 minutes in length or longer.
- Standard, continuous TV series (The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Halloween themed episodes of sitcoms, etc) do not count - please do not include them in your tally.
- TV series consisting of stand alone short films (such as Masters of Horror) are allowed as long as they meet the 45 minutes or longer time requirement.
- No cheating, the Great Pumpkin will know.

The OPTIONAL Challenges

- Do 1 movie every day, so you end up with a full 31 films as your final total. This year the 31 films total is fully optional. Only attempt this if you have a lot of free time and/or are completely insane and self-abusive.
- As the purpose of this is to expose yourself to new horror films, attempt to watch as many movies you haven't seen as possible. This definitely helps keep things fresh and makes going for the full 31 movies a lot more interesting than slogging though the same movies you do every year.
- Adding poster images, screenshots, quotes, trailer links, etc to your opinions are not mandatory, but will help bring attention to your reviews of each film - especially useful if you feel it's a film worth recommending to other participants.

NeoGAF Resources:

Looking for suggestions? Here's a few of NeoGAF's past horror threads. Us usual with NeoGAF's rules, please don't bump old threads, these are listed for reference only.

31 Days of Horror 2 (2012)
31 Days of Horror 1 (2011)
Horror-GAF |OT|
Non-Horror Themed Halloween Movies!
ShabbadooJr's 31 recommendations

7vguIgj.gif

Anustart

We should have like a community voted list of 31 films to watch for those of us who want to experience what others think are the best. Wouldn't be required to watch those 31, just a little recommendation list!

Anyone think it might be nice?

Divius

What I have seen so far; click on the pictures to see what I thought of the movie!

This will be my list - chronological order - not the order I will watch it in. This post will be edited along the way.

#01 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - 1931
#02 - Freaks - 1932
#03 - I Walked with a Zombie - 1943
#04 - Gojira - 1954
#05 - Black Sunday - 1960
#06 - Peeping Tom - 1960
#07 - Carnival of Souls - 1962
#08 - Black Sabbath - 1963
#09 - Kaidan - 1964
#10 - Onibaba - 1964
#11 - Blood and Black Lace - 1964
#12 - The Last Man on Earth - 1964
#13 - Kill Baby, Kill - 1966
#14 - The Fearless Vampire Killers - 1967
#15 - Night of the Living Dead - 1968 - rewatch
#16 - Halloween - 1978 - rewatch
#17 - Phantasm - 1979
#18 - The Changeling - 1980
#19 - Cannibal Holocaust - 1980
#20 - Scanners - 1981
#21 - Basket Case - 1982
#22 - The New York Ripper - 1982
#23 - The Dead Zone - 1983
#24 - Lifeforce - 1985
#25 - Prince of Darkness - 1987
#26 - Killer Klowns from Outer Space - 1988
#27 - Society - 1989
#28 - The Devil’s Backbone - 2001
#29 - Haute tension - 2003
#30 - A Tale of Two Sisters - 2003 - rewatch
#31 - All the Boys love Mandy Lane - 2006
#32 - Martyrs - 2008
#33 - A Horrible Way to Die - 2010
#34 - Grave Encounters - 2011
#35 - Maniac - 2012
#36 - Escape from Tomorrow - 2013

2011 list / 2012 list

We should have like a community voted list of 31 films to watch for those of us who want to experience what others think are the best. Wouldn't be required to watch those 31, just a little recommendation list!

Anyone think it might be nice?

That was suggested the first year but I think the logistics of everyone managing to get a hold of the same 31 movies is just too difficult. Trying to get everyone to decide on a list of 31 films before October would be a nightmare too.

I'd be happy to add a recommendation list to the OP though if anyone cares to post a good one.

My friends and I always try to watch as many horror flicks in Oct as we can, but we always end up falling behind/not watching as many as we wanted to. So this year we started about a week ago! Tonight will, of course, be one of the Friday the 13th movies! Not sure which one yet though, but definitely not that goddamn remake.

What I'm planning
Friday the 13th Entire Series minus the awful Jason Goes To Hell (which my BluRay collection just arrived this afternoon)
Halloween entire series minus 6 and Resurrection (Rob Zombies remakes not included)
Trick R Treat
Phantasm 1 and 2
Tremors
V/H/S/2
Fright Night original and remake
An American Werewolf in London
The Thing
Cabin In The Woods
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Zombieland
Signs
Return of the Living Dead

32 movies in total, I'm sure it will differ from final list

Anustart

That was suggested the first year but I think the logistics of everyone managing to get a hold of the same 31 movies is just too difficult. Trying to get everyone to decide on a list of 31 films before October would be a nightmare too.

I'd be happy to add a recommendation list to the OP though if anyone cares to post a good one.

I'd enjoy it greatly if someone wanted to create a list of 31 recommendations! Let's see if someone's up for the challenge!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ooh this is great, I'll join in. I took the first week of october off, looks like I'll have some time to indulge in horror...

What I'm planning
Friday the 13th Entire Series minus the awful Jason Goes To Hell (which my BluRay collection just arrived this afternoon)
Halloween entire series minus 6 and Resurrection (Rob Zombies remakes not included)
Trick R Treat
Phantasm 1 and 2
Tremors
V/H/S/2
Fright Night original and remake
The Thing
Cabin In The Woods
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Zombieland
Signs

32 movies in total, I'm sure it will differ from final list

Man, that's a good list. Have you seen them all before? If not, you are in for a treat my friend.

I'd enjoy it greatly if someone wanted to create a list of 31 recommendations! Let's see if someone's up for the challenge!

I'd whip one up myself, but honestly I'm not too hard to please when it comes to horror movies and the list would probably just be Basket Case and Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives copied and pasted 31 times.

Ooh this is great, I'll join in. I took the first week of october off, looks like I'll have some time to indulge in horror...

You are a man who knows what is important in life :)

Divius

31 might be a bit much, but getting maybe around 5-10 movies suggested for collective viewing would be doable. Movies that aren't that well known but fun to watch and discuss nonetheless, would be cool to get some different views and opinions on them.

edit: I have no idea which ones though, I'll let someone else do the suggesting.

1. Halloween
2. The Thing
3. Friday the 13th
4. Scream
5. The Exorcist (not my cup of tea, but it's loved)
6. The Shining (also not my cup of tea)
7. The Evil Dead
8. Night of the Living Dead
9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
10. Bram Stoker's Dracula
11. The Lost Boys
12. Creepshow
13. Nightmare on Elm Street
14. Alien
15. Psycho
16. 28 Days Later
17. An American Werewolf in London
18. Let The Right One In
19. The Fly
20. Carrie
21. The Descent
22. Dawn of the Dead
23. Poltergeist
24. Silence of the Lambs
25. Jaws
26. Jacob's Ladder
27. The Sixth Sense
28. Blair Witch Project
29. Cabin in the Woods
30. The Mist
31. The Mothman Prophecies (one of the most underrated Horror/Thriller films of all time)

Man, that's a good list. Have you seen them all before? If not, you are in for a treat my friend.

I've seen all but Phantasm 2 and VHS2. I haven't watched most of the Friday films in more the 15 years though. I'm sure I'll squeeze some unwatched films in but for now that's what I got to start with,

FloatOn

I don't know if I'll have time to participate but I will check on this thread from time to time for movie ideas.

I've seen most if not all of the notable horror movies out there so be sure to check out newer stuff as well as the classics everyone.

Also, I was tempted to make a thread about this but I guess we can discuss it here. I watched Dawn of the Dead (2004) recently after only seeing it a couple times after it came out in the theater. And damn, for nearly being 10 years old this movie holds up really really well. Dare I say that it is my favorite zombie movie of all time?

31 might be a bit much, but getting maybe around 5-10 movies suggested for collective viewing would be doable. Movies that aren't that well known but fun to watch and discuss nonetheless, would be cool to get some different views and opinions on them.

edit: I have no idea which ones though, I'll let someone else do the suggesting.

I can't remember why we didn't go though with it, but last year there was some talk of doing a public domain movie. I'm eying The Last Man on Earth right now. I haven't seen it myself, but it looks like it might be a good choice. Anyone have any opinions on that one?

I only made it to twelve last year before I tapped out. This year I definitely want to mix up the list of films I have and haven't seen, just so I don't burn myself out too fast.

grim0451

Neo Member
I was 15 movies in last year before I spiraled out, but as my love of Halloween returns the closer October looms, I will do my best to attempt it again. I have just about 31 movies ready to go, and unlike last year most of them are ones I actually want to see. I also believe more drinking will be involved this year, which when it comes to horror movies always helps.

Divius

This is my temporary list, consisting only of movies I haven't seen before. I need to trim it down a bit still and scout the previous threads for more suggestions.

I can't remember why we didn't go though with it, but last year there was some talk of doing a public domain movie. I'm eying The Last Man on Earth right now. I haven't seen it myself, but it looks like it might be a good choice. Anyone have any opinions on that one?
I'd be absolutely fine with The Last Man on Earth being a suggested viewing, especially since it's on my list already. Haven't seen it before though, so I have no idea if it's any good.

-Mikey-

I'm going to try to do it this time. Got ~20 or so in last year.

A lot will be repeats unless I really dig for obscure horror films.

Ridley327

If I don't already have it in my hands or it's not already on my VOD queues, then it's on the way from Best Buy and Amazon.

MORE DETAIL5 5OON

1. Halloween
{...}
31. The Mothman Prophecies (one of the most underrated Horror/Thriller films of all time)

Great list, but most of those are pretty well known and I'd imagine most people doing a horror marathon would have seen them multiple times. I'll add it to the resources section of the OP though for people looking for recommendations. Thanks.

I'd be absolutely fine with The Last Man on Earth being a suggested viewing, especially since it's on my list already. Haven't seen it before though, so I have no idea if it's any good.

Well, it can't be any worse than Will Smith's abomination. It's on my list too because I've read the book. I'll probably have to track down The Omega Man too for a double feature.

I'll wait a bit before adding anything to the OP as suggested viewing in case anyone has any better suggestions.

grim0451

Neo Member

I remember enjoying The Last Man on Earth, Vincent Price is always entertaining. Although I don't remember the movie to well at this point, watched it after getting it in one of those crummy 50 Horror movies sets on dvd a long time ago. I do recall it's ending mirroring the book a bit more then the other two movie adaptions, which I liked.

I'm up for another run at 31 films. My list will probably include a bunch of Blu-Rays I haven't gotten around to watching yet. Beyond that, I don't have any idea.

I'll be doing this. I wont make a list because dont know what I want to watch but I will update as I watch them. I'll be watching the August Undergrounds, Vomit Gore Trilogy and the Guinea Pig for sure. The rest is whatever...

Picked this up today

Picked this up today

I want that so bad, but it missing the uncut version of Jason Goes to Hell just kills me. The movie is bad enough in that form, it's damn unwatchable when all the gore is cut out.

Edit: The green tint to Jason Lives kind of irks me too, especially considering that's my fave.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I'm in again this year. There were a lot from last year I didn't get around to seeing. It does take stamina to do it every day, but my soul is ready!

An-Det

Sweet, been waiting for this. I still need to come up with a list for this year, the only two that I'm sure of are ABC's of Death and the Rifftrax showing of Night of the Living Dead. The bigger theater near me usually does older horror movies, so I'm hoping they have some good ones this year (I was able to see The Thing in theater like this, was fucking awesome).

harSon

Banned
Running List:

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
The Innocents
Jacob's Ladder
The Orphanage
Kill List
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Martin
Deep Red
Repulsion
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Angel Heart
Society
Black Christmas
The Beyond
Threads
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)
[REC] 2
Suicide Club
Santa Sangre
Cold Fish
Sleep Tight
Noriko's Dinner Table
2LDK
Session 9
Paperhouse
The Last Man on Earth
----
The Uninvited
Horror of Dracula or The Curse of Frankenstein
The Hitcher (Original)
Arachnophobia

Ridley327

Running List:

The Innocents
Jacob's Ladder
The Orphanage
Kill List
Martin
Deep Red
Repulsion
Angel Heart
Society
Black Christmas
The Beyond
Threads
[REC] 2
Suicide Club
Santa Sangre
Cold Fish
Sleep Tight
Noriko's Dinner Table
2LDK
Session 9
Paperhouse
The Last Man on Earth

You are a good person.

matt360

This is my first year participating in a legit way. I kinda half-assed my way through last year. I haven't fully decided my list, though. Here's what I have so far:

1. VHS 2
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Insidious
4. We Need to Talk About Kevin (does this count? it's listed as a thriller/drama)
5. Rosemary's Baby
6. Beetlejuice
7. Friday the 13th
8. Friday the 13th Part 2
9. Evil Dead (2013)
10. A Serbian Film
11. Father's Day (if I can find it)
12. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
13. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
14. House of 1000 Corpses
15. The 4th Kind
16. Videodrome
17. Last House on the Left (2009)
18. The Thing (1982)
19. Zombi 2
20. A Nightmare on Elm Street
21. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
22. The Blair Witch Project
23. Sinister
24. The Exorcism of Emily Rose
25. Drag Me to Hell
26. Slither
27. Halloween (original)
28. Halloween (Rob Zombie version)

I've probably seen about 1/3 of my list, and I'm drawing blanks for my last three. I might wait and see what others post and get some ideas from this thread. I down for anything really. Campy Troma style, slasher, super fucked up stuff, etc.

Reeks

Running List:

The Innocents
Jacob's Ladder
The Orphanage
Kill List
Martin
Deep Red
Repulsion
Angel Heart
Society
Black Christmas
The Beyond
Threads
[REC] 2
Suicide Club
Santa Sangre
Cold Fish
Sleep Tight
Noriko's Dinner Table
2LDK
Session 9
Paperhouse
The Last Man on Earth

You have some nice ones on there. LOVE The Beyond. Recently rewatched Repulsion - so creepy.

Dascu

No time to join in, but I will be following this thread with close eyes and looking for good recommendations.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sounds interesting. I should have joined the past threads. Definitely in for this year. I will aim high for my first time, 31 movies.

I was bored so I collected links to my movies/reviews from the previous years if anyone is interested.

#1) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Oct 1)
#2) Piranha (1978) (Oct 2)
#3) Piranha DD (2012) (Oct 3)
#4) The Living Dead Girl (aka La morte vivante) (1982) (Oct 4)
#05) Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) (Oct 5)
#06) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) (Oct 6) (rewatch)
#07) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) (Oct 7) (rewatch)
#08) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) (Oct 8) (rewatch)
#09) Motel Hell (1980) (Oct 9)
#10) Deranged (1974) (Oct 10)
#11) The Burning (1981) (Oct 11)
#12) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (Oct 12) (rewatch)
#13) The Fly (1958) (Oct 13)
#14) The Fly (1986) (Oct 14) (rewatch)
#15) The Fly II (1989) (Oct 15) (rewatch)
#16) Nazis at the Center of the Earth (2012) (Oct 16)
#17) Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies (2012) (Oct 17)
#18) Exit Humainity (2011) (Oct 19)
#19) Fright Night (1985) (Oct 20)
#20) Fright Night Part II (1988) (Oct 21)
#21) Fright Night (2011) (Oct 21)
#22) Insidious (2010) (Oct 22)
#23) Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) (Oct 23)
#24) Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996) (Oct 24)
#25) The Fog (1980) (Oct 25)
#26) In the Mouth of Madness (1994) (Oct 26)
#27) An American Werewolf in London (1981) (Oct 27) (rewatch)
#28) A Little Bit Zombie (2012) (Oct 28)
#29) Stake Land (2010) (Oct 29)
#30) The Prowler (1981) (Oct 30)
#31) Dellamorte Dellamore/Cemetery Man (1994) (Oct 31) (rewatch)

#1) Dead Heat (Oct 1) (rewatch)
#2) Torso/I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale (Oct 2)
#3) Basket Case (Oct 3)
#4) Maniac (Oct 4)
#5) Cigarette Burns (Masters of Horror)
#6) Dreams in the Witch-House (Masters of Horror)
#7) The Fair-Haired Child (Masters of Horror) (Oct 6)
#8) Dead Alive/Braindead (Oct 6) (rewatch)
#9) Jenifer (Oct 7)
#10) Hellraiser (Oct 11)
#11) Sick Girl (Masters of Horror) (Oct 11)
#12) Deer Woman (Masters of Horror) (Oct 12)
#13) Slumber Party Massacre II (Oct 13)
#14) Slumber Party Massacre III (Oct 13)
#15) The Thing (1982) (Oct 14) (rewatch)
#16) Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (Oct 15)
#17) Basket Case 2 (Oct 16)
#18) Basket Case 3: The Progeny (Oct 17)
#19) It's Alive (1974) (Oct 18)
#20) It Lives Again (Oct 19)
#21) It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (Oct 20)
#22) Halloween (1978) (Oct 22) (rewatch)
#23) Pet Sematary (Oct 25) (rewatch)
#24) The Exorcist (Extended Director's Cut) (Oct 26)
#25) Zombie/Zombi 2 (Oct 27) (rewatch)
#26) TerrorVision (Oct 27)
#27) Red State (Oct 28)
#28) The Loved Ones (Oct 29)
#29) Dead Snow/Død snø (Oct 29)
#30) House/Hausu (Oct 30)
#31) Re-Animator (Oct 31) (rewatch)

J-Roderton

So ready. I can't wait to watch The Loved Ones again. My girlfriend is going to join me in my horror-thon this year. Subbed.

Subscribed.

I have to work with what's available on Netflix Instant, Amazon Prime Instant, or YouTube. Here's the tentative list:

The ABCs of Death
American Zombie
The Asphyx
The Bay
Bay of Blood
Black Sunday
Carrie
Cold Sweat
Come Out and Play
Cropsey
Faust
Grave Encounters
The Hole
House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price version)
The Innkeepers
Ju-on: The Grudge
Kill, Baby...Kill!
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Mimic
Paranormal Activity 3
The Prophecy
Severance
The Snowtown Murders
The Stuff
V/H/S
Re-Cycle
Vampire Circus
The Wicker Man
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County

I've never seen any of these movies, so it should be a fun journey of discovery this October.

Reeks

Subscribed.

I have to work with what's available on Netflix Instant, Amazon Prime Instant, or YouTube. Here's the tentative list:

I've never seen any of these movies, so it should be a fun journey of discovery this October.

Isn't Cropsey a documentary? Either way, it's a good one. I'd switch Aphyx with something else... it had a nice (ish) concept but is boring as hell.

NekoFever

I did this last year and watched 31 horror movies that I'd never seen before. A few were gems that I'd somehow missed, but as a horror fan I've seen a lot of the masterpieces of the genre and so it was a real struggle when I was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I'm up for doing it again with my favourites, though. I haven't watched any horror in a while and it's been years since I've seen a lot of the classics.

Definites, since I think it's been at least a year since I've seen any of them:

Alien
The Blair Witch Project
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
The Descent
Event Horizon
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
The Exorcist
The Fly
Halloween
Jaws
Let the Right One In
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Omen
Psycho
Rosemary's Baby
Scream
The Shining
The Silence of the Lambs
The Sixth Sense
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Thing

I'm sure I can find enough decent unseen stuff to fill the gaps.

4. We Need to Talk About Kevin (does this count? it's listed as a thriller/drama)

I wouldn't have said it was horror, and I think thriller is pushing it too. Brilliant movie, though. Watch it either way.

Metalmarc

I'll be doing this. I wont make a list because dont know what I want to watch but I will update as I watch them. I'll be watching the August Undergrounds, Vomit Gore Trilogy and the Guinea Pig for sure. The rest is whatever...

Picked this up today

Tempted by that box set, but heard that the films arent the uncut editions, no new special features and 3 is not in 3D?

Also in other news Sean S Cunningham in an interview recently said that they are thinking about

Freddy vs Jason 2
Camp Crystal Lake Chronicles Series (im thinking netflix probably like the interviewer)
webisodes
The next Friday movoe, which sean says does not follow the 2009 one
And says he has an idea for a New videogame, and of course talks about the new box set

http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-article/sean-cunningham-talks-freddy-vs-jason-new-friday-13th-film-and-crystal-lake

Isn't Cropsey a documentary? Either way, it's a good one. I'd switch Aphyx with something else... it had a nice (ish) concept but is boring as hell.

Cropsey is a documentary, but it seemed to fit. I had Herzog's Grizzly Man in my list last year, and you could argue Grizzly Man is the ultimate found footage film.

I might switch out The Asphyx with Antarctic Journal, if only to bring another non-English film into the list.

Top Bottom