• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Des0lar said:
Finally this thread surpassed Halo3 once again
and for all time goddamn :lol

This calls for a celebration.. but the game has been delayed so not much to celebrate :S

30k here we come, lets do 40k before the game comes out

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Innotech said:
Im kinda eager to see Sonics stage.
Hes got to have a pretty cool one.

It's got to be Green Hill Zone. If it is, you can add another decimal to the already short-circuiting awesomemeter of this game.

Gaborn

flipping_heck said:
This calls for a celebration.. but the game has been delayed so not much to celebrate :S

With the delay and a couple more megatons 50 or 60k is not out of the question.

Innotech

Banned
Darunia said:
It's got to be Green Hill Zone. If it is, you can add another decimal to the already short-circuiting awesomemeter of this game.

I would shit my pants in the shape of an exclamation point.

Chumly

flipping_heck said:

40k is gonna be a piece of cake. Megaton updates get us 1k posts in a day.

Zeed

Banned
Halo 3 Thread today...tomorrow, the WORLD! With updates assured all the way into February there's no way they're gonna keep this thread down.

NeonZ

I hope they actually use the delay to add more characters. If completely new characters can't be added in one month, at least, a few clones should be included then.

Chumly

NeonZ said:
I hope they actually use the delay to add more characters. If completely new characters can't be added in one month, at least, a few clones should be included then.
No way. I believe they are using it to tweak and balance the game. Possible add more Pokeballs/Assist Trophies/Items and MAYBE stages.

Haunted

Chumly said:
No way. I believe they are using it to tweak and balance the game. Possible add more Pokeballs/Assist Trophies/Items and MAYBE stages.
They won't add new models/stages/items in that timeframe. New stuff is almost never added to a game in the last months before going gold. It's all tweaking/balancing/bug-hunting on the final stretch, no?

edit: Well, I'll concede that they still have a bit of time until then, so new things might be added right now.

Chumly said:

I believe that an IGN article had a quote from George Harrison who said that Nintendo is using the extra time to secure more characters from the entire gaming spectrum.

Edit: Here it is http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826579p1.html

...Harrison remained extremely optimistic on the subject, mentioning Sonic's involvement in the game, the attempt by Nintendo to reach out to top characters from around the gaming industry...

Chumly

Haunted One said:
They won't add new models/stages/items in that timeframe. New stuff is almost never added to a game in the last months before going gold. It's all tweaking/balancing/bug-hunting on the final stretch, no?

edit: Well, I'll concede that they still have a bit of time until then, so new things might be added right now.
Yea I doubt anything of substance will be added. Potentially they added stuff LATE that they are still trying to tweak/balance.

Innotech

Banned
that would be ridiculously awesome but I highly doubt it. I think Sakurai just needs to tweak some things. and they probably used the extra time to add a padding between major releases under Sakurais excuse.

hiryu2015

About how much of Melee was available at the start percentage-wise? Also, how long exactly did it take you to unlock all the characters, stages and trophies when Melee was originally released? I remember that the trophies took awhile (my household still doesn't have all of them), but the characters and stages were all unlocked quickly. Should we expect similar values for Brawl?

NeonZ

Haunted One said:

I don't mean adding new things in the delay period, it's just that they now have one extra month of development time compared to the original estimative. One entire month should be more than enough to add at least one character - obviously, it doesn't need to be done in the last month of development...

About how much of Melee was available at the start percentage-wise?

14/15 out of the 25/26 playable characters - Out of the 11 unlockables, 6 were clones.

18 stages out of 29 selectable stages (including 3 SSB64 stages among the unlockables).

Innotech

Banned
NeonZ said:
I don't mean adding new things in the delay period, it's just that they now have one extra month of development time compared to the original estimative. One entire month should be more than enough to add at least one character.

Megaman confirmed.

Haunted

ohamsie said:
Would you make the Metal Gear Solid discovery sound?
!

NeonZ said:
I don't mean adding new things in the delay period, it's just that they now have one extra month of development time compared to the original estimative. One entire month should be more than enough to add at least one character - obviously, it doesn't need to be done in the last month of development...
yeah, I edited after I realised that. :)

I kinda miss Red when looking at my avatar right now. :/

Jiggy

hiryu2015 said:
About how much of Melee was available at the start percentage-wise? Also, how long exactly did it take you to unlock all the characters, stages and trophies when Melee was originally released? I remember that the trophies took awhile (my household still doesn't have all of them), but the characters and stages were all unlocked quickly. Should we expect similar values for Brawl?
14/25 characters (or 15/26 counting Sheik), 19/29 stages, 10/51 event matches, 0/~290 trophies.

I don't know if we'll be able to measure by percentages this time or just raw numbers... e.g. should we expect 11+ unlockable characters, or rather a number of unlockable characters equal to 42-44% of the number of starters?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Grecco said:
As excited about guys like Megaman and possibly Chrono, i hope it doesnt become diluted full of third party charachters.
didnt Sakurai mention only 3 3rd parties character were going to be in Brawl? with Snake and Sonic already in, there is just room for one more.

I think Megaman looks pretty likely. whats with Capcom make MH3 exclusive for Wii and Megaman has been on Nintendo consoles since the NES.

Jiggy37 said:
If they get Bomberman in the game because of this delay, it's all worth it. Or Terra with a Celes alternate, but I'm trying to be realistic.

In addition to Capcom's most likely/imminent announcement, I'm with the people speculating a Square-Enix addition. In my opinion, the composer list is almost as good as a confirmation from Sakurai. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the cause for a delay since Nintendo and Square have a pretty rocky relationship.

Raw64life

Chumly said:

MattIGN said:
Nintendo calls the game's delay to February of next year a means to "perfect" it.

Like most people I'm holding out for MegaMan, although we'll probably just get Pacman instead.

Totally and completely late on replying to the whole Sonic thing...

Jeez between 3 midterms this week and spending so much time reading all the replies (every f5 is like 3 new pages!) I can finally post.

This is insane... when I loaded the smash website and saw sonic my heart literally skipped a beat! It was like a mini-megaton heart attack :lol and I don't even like Sonic all that much but after seeing him in action ---> =OOO

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Little Mac was confirmed as an assist trophy by IGN, so I guess you guys can stop waiting on him being a new playable character.

Edit: Sorry, 1up, not IGN.

Jiggy

Rancid Mildew said:
In addition to Capcom's most likely/imminent announcement, I'm with the people speculating a Square-Enix addition. In my opinion, the composer list is almost as good as a confirmation from Sakurai. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the cause for a delay since Nintendo and Square have a pretty rocky relationship.
I also expect some Square-Enix character or other, albeit for different reasons.
Bomberman just seems to be a likely addition to me because Hudson and Nintendo have had very good relations...

Innotech

Banned
Capndrake said:
Was hoping a Punch-Out!! character'd be playable.

that wasnt going to be very likely. His moveset wouldnt be very special or significant. Hes just a boxer. much better as an assist trophy though.

grandjedi6 said:
IGN did confirm Norfair as a stage though

Yeah. Here is 1up's take on it.

1up said:
Take the lava-themed level taken from Metroid for example: The burning magma constantly rises and falls, with the screen persistently scrolling to new formations of platforms. On occasion, a large wave of molten lava even pushes across the screen vertically from the left, reducing the safe area to a tiny lone platform -- with four players fighting to stay on it, things can get pretty hectic as you can imagine.

sp0rsk said:
Little Mac was confirmed as an assist trophy by IGN, so I guess you guys can stop waiting on him being a new playable character.

Bummer, I was rooting for Little Mac. He could have a good move set, it just takes a little imagination. One of his boxing opponents, like Bald Bull, would've made a better Assist Trophy. Oh, well. The character lineup is off the chart already. All I still NEED to see is Ganon, and Megaman would be perfect as well.

sp0rsk said:

Did they say if it was the NES or SNES version of Little Mac? Hopefully NES.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Other attacks we've seen already include a floating Metroid that sucks onto battlers, a massive attack of multiple 2D Advance Wars sprites, various Pokemon, a dashing Drill Dozer attack, the Excite Bike attack (similar to the Advance Wars move), and then of course the fire flower, baseball bat, beam sword, and the like. There were multiple times within the fight where we got our butts kicked simply because we were captivated by nostalgia; priceless.

Jiggy's going to be happy :D

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Innotech said:
that wasnt going to be very likely. His moveset wouldnt be very special or significant. Hes just a boxer. much better as an assist trophy though.

Bald Bull or King Hippo would have been pretty sweet, though.

Of all the remaining third party characters, I'd say that Bomberman is slightly more likely than Mega Man. Assuming we get any more (which is still up in the air, although I'd say it's likely), Bomberman has a very good shot. Hudson and Nintendo are quite close; after all, Hudson is the company Nintendo has allowed to develop eight Mario Parties and counting and Hudson has been reaping the benefits of the Virtual Console and (soon) WiiWare. Besides, Bomberman is another classic icon traditionally associated with Nintendo.

Mega Man...he's also got a pretty good chance. Capcom loves to shove him into every crossover they can find and Capcom seems to be warming up to Nintendo lately. (See Monster Hunter Thwii) Of course, many of Mega Man's games are on Sony platforms, but hey, so is Snake. If Capcom is interested in Brawl, Mega Man will be in.

A Square character is tough to call. If there is one, it won't be a specific character but rather a job class like a Black Mage or a Moogle. This one is really hard to call. On the one hand, Square and Nintendo are known for collaborating (Mario RPG, Mario Hoops 3-on-3), but Square has always seemed kind of leery of Nintendo since we've seen almost nothing from them on a Nintendo platform besides a spinoff or remake since the SNES days.

Hmm I haven't been able to read too much of the past bunch of pages...
So since Dark Link will be another 'color change' does this mean every character is going to have to at least one radical color change too? (sorry if this has been stated/asked time and time over)

I would also LOVE to see Ganon/Ganondorf. I always picked him when I knew my friends were going to kick my butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom