• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiggy37 said:
I also expect some Square-Enix character or other, albeit for different reasons.
Bomberman just seems to be a likely addition to me because Hudson and Nintendo have had very good relations...

But if Square and Capcom give something in addition to Hudson, that's five third party characters. I am afraid to be that optimistic.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Hmm I haven't been able to read too much of the past bunch of pages...
So since Dark Link will be another 'color change' does this mean every character is going to have to at least one radical color change too? (sorry if this has been stated/asked time and time over)

I would also LOVE to see Ganon/Ganondorf. I always picked him when I knew my friends were going to kick my butt.

It is very possible. Maybe we'll get a "Optional color/custome change" update in the Dojo tonight

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Rancid Mildew said:
But if Square and Capcom give something in addition to Hudson, that's five third party characters. I am afraid to be that optimistic.

I'd say that if there's one that doesn't contribute a character, it'll be Capcom. Just a guess.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
as for SE either the Slime from DQ or Moogle from FF would be fine with me.

I want Megaman more than any of those, tho.

Jiggy

grandjedi6 said:
Jiggy's going to be happy :D
Yep, saw that and commented on it in... whichever one of those other threads it was. :D Great to see Drill Dozer and Advance Wars classic getting references!

Rancid Mildew said:
I'm not. :D Sakurai often outdoes his original expectations.
Or maybe I'm just reading too much into that old Subspace Emissary update, that everyone, everywhere would need to join the fight... >_>

Iam Canadian

Error said:
as for SE either the Slime from DQ or Moogle from FF would be fine with me.

How would a Slime work as a playable character, though? They're not known for much besides rolling over and dying. And being really adorable.

This is totally wild speculation, but if a Slime of any form made it in, it would be one of the little knights that ride Slimes. (What're those called, usually? I can't think today)

Iam Canadian said:
How would a Slime work as a playable character, though? They're not known for much besides rolling over and dying. And being really adorable.

This is totally wild speculation, but if a Slime of any form made it in, it would be one of the little knights that ride Slimes. (What're those called, usually? I can't think today)
Shockingly, Slime Knights.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think if Square has a character, you can pretty much count on it being Cloud.

Which would send this game into another galaxy in terms of sales I think.

Darkpen

Banned
Just woke up.

Holy crap, page 299. Good stuff.

I downloaded the vids, gonna check them out in a bit.

XiaNaphryz said:
Did a really really really fast photoshop job for my new ava, if I can find more time I guess I'll clean it up a bit.
Nice, I like how Peach is on top of her mushroom icon. If I were you, though, I'd spice the avatar up a little more.

AniHawk

sp0rsk said:

Sonic fanboys + FFVII fanboys + Nintendo fanboys all over a single game just may cancel out the awesomeness that's being done by Sakurai.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
sp0rsk said:

I'm calling Sora. He's the most public friendly character Square has created in years and has actually had large roles on a Nintendo system(CoM, and the upcoming KHDS). Doesn't hurt that the developer shares the same name.

This means updates will get smaller again. say goodbye to double updates. Some days we will just see a music update. It's all going to be stretched out till February. Good news is that this topic can reach 1000 pages!

Eteric Rice

sp0rsk said:

Probably. I mean, this game is already out there near the Ursa Minor, if that happened it would be in uncharted territories. :lol

Zeed

Banned
sp0rsk said:
That all depends on if Sakurai considers a brief cameo in the GBA Kingdom Hearts as an "appearance on a Nintendo platform".

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The fast and easy-to-use characters like Meta Knight have super directional Smash Ball attacks (if you don't place it correctly, the whole thing is basically a dud), but Princess Peach has a large screen-filling one that starts off with two mirror images of her showing up on the right and left sides, blowing a kiss of rose petals, followed by round, fuzzy peaches raining from the sky, effectively wiping out everything in sight.

I wonder what Meta Knight's final smash is.. And what the hell with Peach's final smash :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dont know if SE would like for Cloud to be in Smash, since they are doing a similar game on the PSP (Dissidia)

but who knows, so many crazy shit lately.

Iam Canadian

sp0rsk said:

Remember that blog I posted with the Mario fan's reaction to Sonic's introduction? I would feel kind of like that if Cloud got in. Well, not that extreme. But I would be mildly displeased, especially if Cloud beat out somebody like Mega Man for a coveted third-party place in the game.

On the other hand, I could beat the stuffing out of Cloud with Lucas. That would amuse me.

Jiggy

AniHawk said:
Sonic fanboys + FFVII fanboys + Nintendo fanboys all over a single game just may cancel out the awesomeness that's being done by Sakurai.
The FFVII fanboys alone would suffice for that purpose. :(

Christine

sp0rsk said:

I found this:

This lead to talk about collaborations, which of course, lead to talk of Solid Snake's appearance in the Wii version of Smash Brothers: "That was very surprising," said Nomura. "Cloud won't make an appearance?" asked Kojima. "We didn't get an offer," responded Nomura with a laugh.

That was more than a year ago. It's almost certainly at least been discussed at some level since that point, so who knows?

Bert409

sp0rsk said:
Little Mac was confirmed as an assist trophy by IGN, so I guess you guys can stop waiting on him being a new playable character.

Edit: Sorry, 1up, not IGN.
Crap. I guess Smash Bros. 4 needs an old school selling point, like Pit in Brawl.

Iam Canadian

perfectchaos007 said:
This means updates will get smaller again. say goodbye to double updates. Some days we will just see a music update. It's all going to be stretched out till February. Good news is that this topic can reach 1000 pages!

On the other hand, the delay will lead to more content. And if the game already had enough content to last until December with double and triple updates, then imagine how much more there will be with two whole extra months to work with!

You gotta think positive.

Zeed

Banned
The only thing that Smash Bros. 4 could do that would match Sonic/Snake levels of OMGWTF is perhaps Master Chief. Now that Bungie is liberated, it could happen. Possibly.

Haunted One said:
I hope we'll get Megaman. Right, Angelo? :D

See, remember how a week ago it was "Maybe Megaman, but I'm losing faith in Sonic"?

Now it's "I'm losing faith in Megaman".

You see, it's the only way I can keep myself from being disappointed!

Also: Is there a thread devoted to the demo? I don't feel like sifting through all the threads.

felipeko

perfectchaos007 said:
I think Sakurai knew the delay before us.. Still he did some awesome and some double updates lately...

Innotech

Banned
Zeed said:
The only thing that Smash Bros. 4 could do that would match Sonic/Snake levels of OMGWTF is perhaps Master Chief. Now that Bungie is liberated, it could happen. Possibly.

the problem with characters like Cloud or Master Chief in Brawl is that they were never really featured on a Nintendo platform (no Halo DS doesnt count). The third party characters have to be well recognized as having shown up on Nintendo platforms in some prominent game. Which is why Megaman or bomberman are very high possibilities.

Innotech said:
that wasnt going to be very likely. His moveset wouldnt be very special or significant. Hes just a boxer. much better as an assist trophy though.

I disagree.

that is like saying Pitt would have been bad in Smash because his move set was limited to a bow and jumping/flying.

they could have easily given Little Mac more moves that he didnt use in the games, like they could have borrow famous moves from the Ippo anime like how Steve Fox is Tekken does.

It would have been amazing, but granted it wouldent have worked for this more air combat focused smash, but still he would have been so great as playable.

just a quick idea of how he could have been:

up+B = Gazelle Punch
forward/back+B = Dempsey Roll
down+B = Cross Counter (so it wont be cheap)
B = similar to Marth's special move, changed up from Right Straight to Hook to Uppercut.
Final Smash = Clench Teeth/Spirit Up (for short period heavily powered up)

Eteric Rice

Innotech said:
the problem with characters like Cloud or Master Chief in Brawl is that they were never really featured on a Nintendo platform (no Halo DS doesnt count). The third party characters have to be well recognized as having shown up on Nintendo platforms in some prominent game. Which is why Megaman or bomberman are very high possibilities.

Cloud was in the KH game on the Gameboy Advance.

Darkpen

Banned
Zeed said:
I wonder if Sakurai is still following the "must have been on a nintendo system" prerequisite or not for third-party.

sp0rsk said:

While that discussion between Kojima and Nomura may have happened, I think it wouldn't make sense on NIntendo's part to allow for Cloud (who, admitedly, has been on a Nintendo system through KH:CoM), as he's a character that reflects the Playstation generation more than anything.

Personally, I'm still rooting for Kain and Cecil.

Zeed

Banned
Innotech said:
the problem with characters like Cloud or Master Chief in Brawl is that they were never really featured on a Nintendo platform (no Halo DS doesnt count).
Er, we're talking about Smash Bros. 4, not Brawl.

I even mentioned the "Nintendo platform rule" on this same page questioning Cloud's chances. Cloud has had the most tenuous appearance on a Nintendo platform ever, but he could still make it in on that technicality if Sakurai wanted.

"He's just a boxer"

That makes me lulz.

I guess 'just' being a fighter makes you have less of a chance of being in a fighting game because they'd have to make up so many moves, amirite?!? :lol

Also, since the demo was playable, did anyone see Meta Knight's final smash?

Haunted

Darkpen said:
I wonder if Sakurai is still following the "must have been on a nintendo system" prerequisite or not for third-party.
Absolutely.

Angelo said:
"He's just a boxer"

That makes me lulz.

I guess 'just' being a fighter makes you have less of a chance of being in a fighting game because they'd have to make up so many moves, amirite?!?
Balrog am cry.

I honestly wouldn't count on any SNES-generation Final Fantasy characters in Smash.

Despite the fact FF4 is my favorite RPG of all time and I love the characters dearly...

They just are not iconic enough to be in Smash Bros.

If Square gets a rep it will either be Geno or Sora.

Also: Awesome new avatar, Haunted One. RDR art is so hard to find on the interwebz

Innotech

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
"He's just a boxer"

That makes me lulz.

I guess 'just' being a fighter makes you have less of a chance of being in a fighting game because they'd have to make up so many moves, amirite?!? :lol

Also, since the demo was playable, did anyone see Meta Knight's final smash?

no you dont get what Im saying. Hes not really that special. hes a rather generic boxer character and aside from his game kicking ass, he really doesnt stand out enough to be a main featured character. All the characters have a bit of a boxing move, so Little Mac would just seem really plain.

Raw64life

sp0rsk said:
Little Mac was confirmed as an assist trophy by IGN, so I guess you guys can stop waiting on him being a new playable character.

Edit: Sorry, 1up, not IGN.

You know what, I'll take it. Atleast they finally acknowledged that Punch-Out exists. No Punch-Out trophy stuck out like a sore thumb in Melee.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Innotech said:
no you dont get what Im saying. Hes not really that special. hes a rather generic boxer character and aside from his game kicking ass, he really doesnt stand out enough to be a main featured character. All the characters have a bit of a boxing move, so Little Mac would just seem really plain.

He has special punches and the possibility of his trainer coming out and running you over with a bike.

Innotech

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
I honestly wouldn't count on any SNES-generation Final Fantasy characters in Smash.

Despite the fact FF4 is my favorite RPG of all time and I love the characters dearly...

They just are not iconic enough to be in Smash Bros.

If Square gets a rep it will either be Geno or Sora.
thats true. Rydia is just awesome so I threw that out there. it has 0 chance of happening.

m00

Zeed said:
How about Cortana? Her voice actress, Jen Taylor, is known to be contributing to Smash, so.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom