• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdventureRacing said:
The last smash had 4 pokemon (if i remember correctly). To me that is to many. Plus i dislike
jigglypuff
so it's removal would be fine by me.

Been hit by too many Rests, eh? Well gear up for more, cuz Jigglypuff will return!!!.
Well, that's my prediction anyway
I agree with Jiggy, there is no need or reason to remove her. Plus, her removal would lower the male to female ratio even more.

Edit: I've been thinking of final smashes for Jiggly, and one that makes sense to me is that she gets a mike and performs Sing, but it hits everyone on stage, and lasts longer than usual.

Zeed

Banned
Shadowmancer said:
Edit: I've been thinking of final smashes for Jiggly, and one that makes sense to me is that she gets a mike and performs Sing, but it hits everyone on stage, and lasts longer than usual.
Plus she gets infinite rests with no cooldown.

Imagine the possibilities.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I was browsing through Scientific American today and I guess the science community is all in agreement that Pac Man deserves a nod.

Shadowmancer said:
I've been thinking of final smashes for Jiggly, and one that makes sense to me is that she gets a mike and performs Sing, but it hits everyone on stage, and lasts longer than usual.

The other options, going by her in game movelists, would be Hyper-voice (but this could be similar to DK's final smash) or Perish Song (hmmm... guaranteed KO, but delayed, with big lag, could work).

Jiggy

Shadowmancer said:
The other options, going by her in game movelists, would be Hyper-voice (but this could be similar to DK's final smash) or Perish Song (hmmm... guaranteed KO, but delayed, with big lag, could work).
Mewtwo has Shadow Ball, so TM moves are probably up for grabs also. If they do an SSBB rendition of Return, I wouldn't mind. :D

But now that you mention it, Perish Song would be pretty awesome.

GamerSoul

Staccat0 said:
I was browsing through Scientific American today and I guess the science community is all in agreement that Pac Man deserves a nod.

There are enoough colorful balls in Smash. No need for anymore.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Staccat0 said:

Can you elaborate on exactly what was written? :lol Was it an entire article on Brawl?

I think PacMan would be awful, btw. He is probably the one video game icon I'm not interested in seeing at all. (I've always hated his 3d design, too...) I wouldn't mind a 2d pixel PacMan AT that like, came onto the screen and chomped up the characters or something... but I doubt we'd see such a high profile character relegated to that tiny of a cameo.

Jiggy

If Pac-Man was in, then characters-who-eat-things would be just as overused as sword fighters. :( Between Kirby, Yoshi, Wario, and Pac-Man, just... yeah. Really overdone.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MrCheez said:
Can you elaborate on exactly what was written? :lol Was it an entire article on Brawl?

Its all pretty technical... You wouldn't understand.
I'll provide you with a summary:
1. Pac Man is the second most famous video game character in the world
2. He could have some wacky moves
3. His level would be easy to design and would be sweet
4. He is in a Mario Kart
5. His Final Smash "...must turn everyone blue. Anyone he bites would be out. If these conditions are not met..."
6. "... our earth will begine to vibrate out of our own reality and into an alternate one..."

Basically, if Sakurai doesn't comply we are all doomed.

P.S. Jiggly Puff should turn into WigglyTuff for her final smash and be like Bowser. That would be funny-riffic.

Milabrega

Staccat0 said:
3. His level would be easy to design and would be sweet.

I agree. Not hoping for a Pac-Man appearance like I am Bomberman and MEGAMAN!!!!!, but if Pac-Man did appear his level would absolutely rule.

Tonight's Prediction:
Assist Trophy update!

sakirbynt5.jpg

So much win

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Milabrega said:
I agree. Not hoping for a Pac-Man appearance like I am Bomberman and MEGAMAN!!!!!, but if Pac-Man did appear his level would absolutely rule.

Tonight's Prediction:
Assist Trophy update!
Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Pac Man fan at all. I like Mega Man a lot more. I just think smash bros should honor the original iconic game character. In Its a matter of principle. In many ways he is Donkey Kong's Sonic.

Plus we'll all die the day of release if he's not in...

Crocodile

Jiggy37 said:
Would I be surprised if Jiggs was out? No, not really, but that's only because I'm a pessimist right now since a great number of my most-wanted games are doing one major thing or other very wrong. Star Ocean 2, Advance Wars DS 2, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest IV, Kirby Super Star, Fire Emblem DS--all of them will be excellent beyond belief, but nonetheless each has done something I very much don't like.

I'm curious, what is the "wrong" thing that each game listed is doing in your opinion?

Zeed

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
So much win
Took the words out of my mouth.

Crocodile said:
I'm curious, what is the "wrong" thing that each game listed is doing in your opinion?
Let me try to guess!

Star Ocean 2 - Art design from the Black Lagoon
Advance Wars DS 2 - Gimped CO Powers
Dragon Quest IX - Now turn-based boredom
Dragon Quest IV - No idea
Kirby Super Star - No clue!
Fire Emblem DS - See Star Ocean 2

RagnarokX

Samus' suit is based on Zero Mission, and the Norfair stage has a VERY Zero Mission art style. I don't think we should get our hopes up for anything relating to Metroid Prime.

Oh and I dunno if anybody pointed it out but the name of the music track is displayed on screen as the announcer counts down to the start of the match. The Halberd's track said Meta Knight's Revenge and Delfino Plaza said it was playing "Delfino Plaza" but I couldn't hear it very well.

Zeed said:
Sometimes the character names are the franchise names, if you have any specific inconsistencies to point out I'd love to see the theory debunked.

...But Megaman is still coming, so says my inside sauce at NOA. Count on it!

If he's not, I'm sending Reggie to your house.

See, I'm stuck...

I really want Megaman in because, fuck, he's fucking Megaman...

Mario, Link, Sonic, and Megaman are really the four faces of gaming.

If there was a Mount Rushmore of gaming it would have those four faces on it.

But at the same time I'd have to fork over copies of the game to Haunted One and Firestorm (or was it Jiggy?) :lol

Rambaldi

I was just wondering if the Motion-Sensor Bomb would still be there since the new bomb has been outted. I know they're different, but it is one of my favorite weapons... Especially when the person who throws it forgets about it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
SuperAngelo64 said:
If he's not, I'm sending Reggie to your house.

See, I'm stuck...

I really want Megaman in because, fuck, he's fucking Megaman, but...
Mario, Pac Man, Sonic, and a Tetris Block are really the four faces of gaming.

If there was a Mount Rushmore of gaming it would have those four faces on it.

But at the same time I'd have to fork over copies of the game to Haunted One and Firestorm (or was it Jiggy?) :lol

Fixed
P.S. No one outside of traditional gamers know who the fuck Link is... If they do they call him Zelda.:lol

Staccat0 said:
Fixed
P.S. No one outside of traditional gamers know who the fuck Link is... If they do they call him Zelda.:lol

Tetris block isn't an actual character, it's a fucking block.

And Pac-Man... well I'm just not going to open that can of worms.

I'm just saying when I was a kid in the late 80's and early 90's kids were playing a ton of Mario, a ton of Zelda, a TON of Megaman, and a ton of Sonic.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That Kirby thread reminds me, I really want Midna as a Playable character. I've said that a Wind Waker Zelda/Tetra character would make a nice replacement for Shiek/Zelda, but now that I think of it, I'd love a Midna that could transform between forms.

Edit: Has the speculation pretty much died of a possible Link -> Wolf transformation?

Zeed

Banned
DrForester said:
That Kirby thread reminds me, I really want Midna as a Playable character. I've said that a Wind Waker Zelda/Tetra character would make a nice replacement for Shiek/Zelda, but now that I think of it, I'd love a Midna that could transform between forms.

Edit: Has the speculation pretty much died of a possible Link -> Wolf transformation?
Link's entire moveset, including Final Smash, has been revealed. So no, not happening. Assist Trophy, if you're lucky.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
SuperAngelo64 said:

I'm just saying when I was a kid in the late 80's and early 90's kids were playing a ton of Mario, a ton of Zelda, a TON of Megaman, and a ton of Sonic.
That may have been the joke.:lol
I'm in the same boat as you. Still EVERYONE knows who Pac Man is. Thats like saying that because you grew up with George Bush Sr. as President he belongs on Rushmore more than Washington. I'm not a Pac Man fanboy and I don't want him more than MegaMan. He is more iconic however.

Staccat0 said:
That may have been the joke.:lol
I'm in the same boat as you. Still EVERYONE knows who Pac Man is. Thats like saying that because you grew up with George Bush Sr. as President he belongs on Rushmore more than Washington. I'm not a Pac Man fanboy and I don't want him more than MegaMan. He is more iconic however.

I really don't think he's that iconic. I think if I had a picture of the character Pac-Man (not a screenshot of the game) and a picture of Link and I went up to random people

Most people would look at Pac-Man (the character, not the game) and not really know.

Most people would point at Link and say "Hey, that's Zelda!"

m00

SuperAngelo64 said:

wqra5w.gif

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
SuperAngelo64 said:
I really don't think he's that iconic. I think if I had a picture of the character Pac-Man (not a screenshot of the game) and a picture of Link and I went up to random people

Most people would look at Pac-Man (the character, not the game) and not really know.

Most people would point at Link and say "Hey, that's Zelda!"
If you asked
"Do you know who Pac Man is?"
Most would say yes. You can't blame them for being unfamilar with each update/change to a characters design. The only reason I find all of this interesting is because we played this game at my old job one night... The discussion was about Video game based currency though:lol Most older people know Donkey Kong's name too, but I doubt they would recognize Rare's ReDesign.
m00 said:
EXACTLY:lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I wouldn't be surprised if both Jiggy and I lost our favourite characters in this.

And if you don't know who my favourite character is, you haven't been paying attention.

Although I daresay Jigglypuff has a better shot at returning than Ness. Of course, that's probably just my pessimism.

Jiggy37 said:
Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest IV, Kirby Super Star, Fire Emblem DS--all of them will be excellent beyond belief, but nonetheless each has done something I very much don't like.

Hm? What are the Dragon Quest games and Kirby Super Star doing wrong?

My personal problem with Kirby Super Star DS is that it's reusing the Nightmare in Dreamland sprites for the millionth time, but I'm curious as to what you think.

Yeah, only I'm not someone who thinks that way. For example new Sonic takes a shit on old Sonic, New Super Mario Bros. > Mario Bros. 3, and Twilight Princess trumps OoT in about every way.

I'm just saying the late 80's and early 90's was the silver age of gaming, and the silver age of gaming WAS Nintendo. When you think Nintendo All-Stars you think silver age gaming.

Golden age was Pac-Man, Space Invaders and all that stuff.

Pac-Man was really not a huge part of Nintendo's history, sure he got in a Mario Kart game.. but that's because Nintendo was bound to Namco for their arcade game partnership (Project Triforce).

I'm not saying Pac-Man, the GAME isn't a huge icon of gaming, I'm just saying the character isn't as big as Mario, Link, Sonic, or Megaman.

If we're going by games then yeah, Pac-Man, Pong, Super Mario Bros, and Tetris are the godfathers of gaming.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
SuperAngelo64 said:
Yeah, only I'm not someone who thinks that way. For example new Sonic takes a shit on old Sonic
are you posting drunk???:lol
Sorry man, I still think that your coming from the perspective of a GAMER. I can't think of one normal person who couldn't draw old school Pac Man. Young, Old, American or Russian. I'm completely serious about that.
I've met MANY people who don't know who Zelda or Mega Man is. My Girlfriend was that way when we met. She knew Mario, Sonic and Pac Man.

Again, I'm just saying the guy deserves the honors.:D
SuperAngelo64 said:
Pac-Man was really not a huge part of Nintendo's history, sure he got in a Mario Kart game.. but that's because Nintendo was bound to Namco for their arcade game partnership (Project Triforce).
He has appeared on Nintendo systems more than Sonic ever has... Probably Snake too.

Jiggy

Crocodile said:
I've seriously got to stop talking myself out of posting things. I actually had the whole thing written up, but oh well, here we go. >_>

Original paragraph to the best of my memory:

"With Star Ocean 2 they changed reasonably serious anime art into round-faced loli trash that makes no sense; with AWDS2 they took out dual strikes (which I rarely used, but more options are better) and also some things I didn't like but that still should have been in, namely dual-screen maps; DQIX is in DS 3D, though at least they have character customization to kind of justify it; DQIV is in something resembling DS 3D despite its roots and doesn't even have character customization to back it up; Kirby Super Star will be mind-blowingly great but nonetheless it's still Kirby Super Star rather than a new game with the Kirby Super Star mechanics; and Fire Emblem DS has too-thick outlines for its sprites and art, which actually isn't a major thing wrong but goes on my list anyway for the sake of exaggeration and poking fun at myself after a rant."

Expanded version:

Star Ocean: Second Evolution:

See above, but adding that the loli garbage is truly nonsensical because the whole cast is 16 or older. :( And also, if there are one or more new characters as happens to be the case with the PSP Star Ocean 1, that'll be a big positive but the characters will still never be as cool as they could have been, precisely because of the art.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin:

Again, I rarely used dual strikes, but as Sakurai proves again and again, more options are always better than fewer--and incidentally, this is also why I'm stunned whenever I see people actively hoping that characters like Ice Climbers or Jigglypuff would be cut from SSBB even though they were already pre-made and added more content to the game. I mean, even if I hated, say, Marth with the heat of a thousand suns, I wouldn't want him taken out of SSBB. He's there; he's an option; he brings something unique to the game. Now, if someone was complaining about Diddy Kong being in the game, then I could understand that somewhat (though I'd disagree because I don't have much against Diddy), because Diddy as a new character would require a lot more resources and time to put in than a veteran character, but to remove what was already set in place is a step backward every time. And I'd actually like to see the clone characters return too, frankly, though I do agree with general consensus that they're either out or very changed.

But I digress, even though that digression was actually contributing in making this post on-topic and related to Smash Bros. >_>

In addition to dual strikes being out of AW: DoR, Black Boats will probably be gone, which makes me sad since they were the best naval unit ever conceived. And the gimped CO Powers do make me leary as Zeed thought, but they haven't been removed entirely, so I'm trying to withhold judgment for now.

Dragon Quest IX, and IV:

DS 3D usually earns The Amir0x Reaction from me. >_> Character customization is one of the greatest features in all of gaming, so to some extent I can be content with that in DQIX, but it doesn't cover for the 3D used for the enemies and towns and everything else other than the characters.
As for IV, what I mean by "something resembling DS 3D" is that this still plays in perfect 2D, yet uses 3D assets for whatever bizarre reason that boggles the mind and makes me generally disgruntled. I want my new sprite hotness. ;_;

Kirby Super Star:

There is nothing wrong with this game itself, rather the implications of it. For 11 years all I've wanted to see from the Kirby series is a new Kirby game with the KSS mechanics. I can understand if a team wants to try something entirely different rather than redo what's been perfected before, but the teams working on Kirby platformers (I stress, the platformers only) clearly aren't aiming for radial change--they've mostly just been copying half the KSS ideas and leaving the other half behind. Thankfully, the SNES game was so classic and excellent that taking even half of it is sufficient to make a great game by most standards, but when I think of what I want from another Kirby game I move past wanting "great" and into "legendary."

So now there's another legendary traditional Kirby platformer, but in fact it's a second verse that's same as the first, which is awesome for the present but doesn't provide much hope for the future. I mean, if they had access to the Kirby Super Star engine, which they probably did since this is Nintendo we're talking about, why couldn't they have used it to make a new game?

And, I mean, I'm usually not the type of person who complains about remakes. I love remakes. Very recently, jj984jj read a post of mine and got :/ :/ over it (the :/s being his own emoticons, not my paraphrase) because my list of wanted games for the rest of 2007 and into 2008 was made up almost entirely of remakes. (Though most of them were remakes of games I never played, making them new to me.) I really like remakes. Nearly every year, some remake or other is in top contention for my GOTY, and on a few rare occasions it actually makes it there.

And if Super Smash Bros. Brawl had been Super Smash Bros. Melee with online play and better graphics, I'm that guy who actually wouldn't have complained, I kid you not. I don't even need anything as drastic as that. If in reality there's a $50 Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2009 Special Edition with nothing different except that it has a new alternate outfit for each character, I'll lap it up at full price like the pitiful capitalist consumer I am, even knowing and dreading in advance that since I'll pitifully be the only buyer of such a thing, I'll get flooded with requests to send screenshots of Peach's new panty shots via the photo mode, as well as shots of Snake grabbing new Zelda from behind, and Fox's pants because everyone Crushed would want to know whether they were still like NOTHIN' AT ALL.

I digress again, and that was another on-topic digression related to Smash Bros. (Am I doing good? Don't ban me. :( Iam Canadian got his Mother 3 rant!)

In any case, I love remakes. But there's something to be said about remaking a game in a series that's turned out a third of a dozen new sequels since said game that's being remade--with none of these sequels approaching its quality--and that something to be said goes beyond the game itself and into deeper implications. If in fact there hadn't been a 15-year gap between SMW and NSMB, but rather the gap had been filled with five new 2D Mario platformers that failed to live up to SMB3 and SMW, and "New Super Mario Bros." had turned out to be a remake of SMB3 or SMW, I'd lose faith in the success of the past classics ever getting repeated. And that's the feeling I get from KSS, in some analogous and/or metaphorical fashion.

Now with all that said, if there are a few new games in KSS DS and some of them live up to the games in the original, then my hopes for the future of the Kirby series may indeed be restored and all may be well; I'm just saying that I somewhat fear for that possibility. Gatsby claimed in The Great Gatsby that "of course" one could relive the past, and indeed he as a fictional character attempted to relive it indefinitely in his fictional mind within his fictional world. I too never grow tired of indefinitely reliving the past, provided the past was good, but nonetheless I'd much prefer the opportunity to live the present and future alongside it.

Anyway, that was probably the most lengthy and seriously semi-satirical rant you'll ever see from me on GAF and I hope to never repeat anything like it again. Actually, I think I've been watching too much Zero Punctuation lately and the stream-of-consciousness is rubbing off on me, but anyway...

Hoping for that Jigglypuff profile tonight, in 45 minutes! :D SuperAndroid17 to be owned, yep.

Staccat0 said:
are you posting drunk???:lol
Sorry man, I still think that your coming from the perspective of a GAMER. I can't think of one normal person who couldn't draw old school Pac Man. Young, Old, American or Russian. I'm completely serious about that.
I've met MANY people who don't know waht Zelda or Mega Man is. My Girlfriend was that way when we met. She knew Mario, Sonic and Pac Man.

Again, I'm just saying the guy deserves the honors.

Old School Pac-Man \=\ Pac-Man you guys are thinking of.

You guys are really missing the point, so I'll just stop.

He has appeared on Nintendo systems more than Sonic ever has...

Sonic Adventure series, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Gems collection.

Sonic Advance series, Sonic Battle. Sonic Riders, Sonic The Hedgehog remake (which sucked). Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure. Sonic Secret of the Rings.

He was in Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube also.

Jiggy

m00 said:
Man, this is true for a lot of people. Probably, I initially thought that way, too... Nothing topping, say, FFVI (when I was 10) or Chrono Trigger (11) or Yoshi's Island or Donkey Kong Country 2 or Super Metroid or Kirby Super Star (12).

But then I picked up Star Ocean 2 in 1999 (I think) and everything changed and got dethroned. Still, all of the above are still very high on my all-time favorites as well when I revisit them today... I suppose that subconsciously even kids can recognize some great qualities of games (or other mediums), though they can't articulate them. Which is what that one panel is driving at, but yeah.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
SuperAngelo64 said:
Staccat0 said:
Old School Pac-Man \=\ Pac-Man you guys are thinking of.

You guys are really missing the point, so I'll just stop.
Don't play that game. I know exactly what your saying. I just disagree. The "new" design of pac man has appeared on several Nintendo systems IIRC. He also is not new. He was the image on the side of the arcade cabinets wasn't he? He's been there and he' a legend. He was a marketing craze like Pokemon actually, but you and I weren't around.

I don't care if you wan't to stop discussing it, but don't pretend I don't understand you. Your perfectly clear... and wrong.:lol
I'm just saying that its a scientific fact that if he isn't in the game we will all die.:D

Staccat0 said:
SuperAngelo64 said:
Don't play that game. I know exactly what your saying. I just disagree. The "new" design of pac man has appeared on several Nintendo systems IIRC. He also is not new. He was the image on the side of the arcade cabinets wasn't he? He's been there and he' a legend. He was a marketing craze like Pokemon actually, but you and I weren't around.

I don't care if you wan't to stop discussing it, but don't pretend I don't understand you. Your perfectly clear... and wrong.:lol
I'm just saying that its a scientific fact that if he isn't in the game we will all die.:D

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in Brawl, I'm just saying Pac-Man, the mascot character is not as popular as people believe, and really doesn't hold a candle to Mario, Sonic, Megaman, or Link.

That's what the original debate was about. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in Brawl. He's a neat character and I think they could go places with it.

Also:

I will fucking lol if tonight's update is Pac-Man

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
SuperAngelo64 said:
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in Brawl, I'm just saying Pac-Man, the mascot character is not as popular as people believe, and really doesn't hold a candle to Mario, Sonic, Megaman, or Link.
That's what the original debate was about. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in Brawl. He's a neat character and I think they could go places with it.

Also:

I will fucking lol if tonight's update is Pac-Man

I know... You just wrong.:lol
:lol It would be really weird. Actually it would be final proof they read this thread.

My prediction is still "Online stuff"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom