• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental Health |OT| Depression & Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

Welp had a panic attack last night at 430 am. Woke up from a dream (dreams cause me extreme anxiety), and went right into it. I fucking hate panic attacks, because what usually falls after them for me is lethargic depression, but amazingly this time that did not happen (yet). I got really lucky and my psychiatrist had an open appointment this morning at 11:30 which was amazing tbh, usually have to wait at least 2 weeks to see anybody at the office. At this point I have no clue if I am OCD that just has way more anxiety then depression, or if I have an anxiety disorder. The reason I believe I am OCD is because I have intrusive thoughts, and they affect me every day. I have gotten use to them, but the occasional one brings on anxiety. I just wish I could get a definitive answer on wtf is wrong with me. It is either anxiety, or OCD at this point I believe.

FillerB

Listened to the podcast while on my walk today. I didn't really have an issue with the sound quality, but maybe that's because I'm used to you guys voices. What I think should be improved is making sure there is less repetition. Near the end it felt like you guys kept saying the same thing over and over in slightly different ways. Not that this is necessarily a problem but I do think that it can become annoying to people less... used to Bagels. Speaking of which, try to keep that ego in check! Gimmicks like that can be fun but you don't want it to become cheesy.

Ashes

Banned
St. Bagels is alright, minus the whole religion angle.

On an unrelated note, I started corresponding with someone through a dating website.
ibrm22bw0fEBOe.gif

Ha ha. Awesome gif. Good luck Femme. I was talking to someone this week, but when we exchanged photographs, my jaws just dropped. She was so incredibly beautiful. And then I thought: , internet, don't fool me again! Still not sure whether to keep talking, but I've asked her whether she realises she is in the top 1pc of beautiful people. Hopefully, this comes off as flirtatious, rather than my cynicism of the internet.

I love that song. But as with most things in life, that cover, good as it is, suffers from a lack of Stevie Nicks.

Dear Bagels,

Hope you like it:

http://youtu.be/6ul-cZyuYq4

best,

Ashes.

Iph

Banned
Listened to the podcast while on my walk today. I didn't really have an issue with the sound quality, but maybe that's because I'm used to you guys voices. What I think should be improved is making sure there is less repetition. Near the end it felt like you guys kept saying the same thing over and over in slightly different ways. Not that this is necessarily a problem but I do think that it can become annoying to people less... used to Bagels. Speaking of which, try to keep that ego in check! Gimmicks like that can be fun but you don't want it to become cheesy.

That's the irony- Bagels has been cheese-free since his MAOI. ;)

Velcro Fly

I have days that are ok and I have days like today where there just isn't much fight left. My birthday is in January and my 10 year class reunion is going to be next summer. Going to have to figure out something by then because I don't know how long I can keep doing this.

You may be offered help that is not medication...probably depending on where in the world you live etc, I have no good advice just an absolutely pointless response.

Colin.

I dig it! Blue is my favourite colour too, so it is extra pleasing to my eyes.

I am being pressured into visiting the doctor, but I don't want medication. Apparently I 'need help', but I don't think I want it.

As midnight said, there are more options out there than just medication. I think a general rule would be not to go to meds straight away as well, not until you have explored other options first, or if you're struggling greatly. There is psychiatry, psychology, counselling, and cognitive therapists just from the top of my head. So there are definitely options for you, ask the doctor about being referred to the appropriate service. But you have to want to help yourself in order for that type of treatment to be effective. These people can only advise you based on the information you give them. Being resistant would not get you far at all.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Listened to the podcast last night! I really enjoyed it, the topic was incredible fascinating, and all three talkers were very knowledgeable and brought great experiences to the topic at hand. Bagels man, you know so much, and your experience with all four main types of drugs was nice to hear.

I thought the length was alright, and sound quality sounded fine. There was some audio feedback from niths mic I believe but it wasn't too bad. The periods of silence should hopefully lessen as people get more used to things, and I hear that maybe doing it through skype with video helps, if people would be comfortable with that. (Keeping the podcast audio only, but being able to see each other while talking helps with conversation flow)

I dunno, for a first attempt I thought it was fantastic. I'll keep listening for sure.

Colin.

The periods of silence should hopefully lessen as people get more used to things, and I hear that maybe doing it through skype with video helps, if people would be comfortable with that. (Keeping the podcast audio only, but being able to see each other while talking helps with conversation flow)

Depends on the person, but that would be worse to me. Being self conscious about my appearance/body language, whilst being more on the spot by people actually watching me in anticipation with what I'm going to say. In terms of sound quality, Mumble is a better choice. As long as people stick to wearing headphones, and Bagels keeps his distance from the mic (or gets a desktop one) then it's all good. I'd be happy to help edit the next one to improve things as well. I think it would be good to have as a semi-regular thing.

MikeDip

Depends on the person, but that would be worse to me. Being self conscious about my appearance/body language, whilst being more on the spot by people actually watching me in anticipation with what I'm going to say. In terms of sound quality, Mumble is a better choice. As long as people stick to wearing headphones, and Bagels keeps his distance from the mic (or gets a desktop one) then it's all good. I'd be happy to help edit the next one to improve things as well. I think it would be good to have as a semi-regular thing.

I know, trust me :p Just saying what would help with that particular problem :)

MikeDip

I have become addicted to puzzle and dragons. Anyone else in here play or want to play? There is a good OT here on gaf that explains what it is, it's super fun.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Listened to the podcast last night! I really enjoyed it, the topic was incredible fascinating, and all three talkers were very knowledgeable and brought great experiences to the topic at hand. Bagels man, you know so much, and your experience with all four main types of drugs was nice to hear.

I thought the length was alright, and sound quality sounded fine. There was some audio feedback from niths mic I believe but it wasn't too bad. The periods of silence should hopefully lessen as people get more used to things, and I hear that maybe doing it through skype with video helps, if people would be comfortable with that. (Keeping the podcast audio only, but being able to see each other while talking helps with conversation flow)

I dunno, for a first attempt I thought it was fantastic. I'll keep listening for sure.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! You know how much I appreciate it.

>The Depression-GAF PODCAST< if you anyone hasn't seen the link :p

I think the most important thing is a simple thumbs up/thumbs down at continuing with this project. I'd love to do more, if the audience is there. Our test episode is on a pretty dry topic by design. The next one I'd want to tackle would be on creativity and mental illness, if I can twist the arms of jb1234, Fiction, Oomi, Prax, Lionheart1827 and everyone else I'm missing who uses a creative outlet to cope with their illness, or who makes art "about" their illness. This is the topic I'd personally most like to hear about (which should mean I'll be a quieter host), and it's more in line with my vision for a community podcast, with way more participation. Please let me know if that's something you'd like to hear, and especially let me know if you'd like to discuss your creative outlet with me for the show.

I'm at least committed to doing this one more episode, as I'll take any excuse I can get to listen to people talk about this topic. It should be more tightly edited, with interviews cut together, examples of music from the community, readings from people's writings - learning to tackle that a bit more will be a fun project for me.

njean777

Anybody taking Paxil at all, I was prescribed it at 5mg a day since I do not do well on SSRI's. Just want to know if anybody has any feedback.

MikeDip

Anybody taking Paxil at all, I was prescribed it at 5mg a day since I do not do well on SSRI's. Just want to know if anybody has any feedback.

I'm on paxil. What specific questions do you have?
It works for me and the side effects are minimal in my case(hungry, tired a lot)

(Also, check out the podcast! First episode is all about med side effects!)

Windam

Scaley member
My mind has been so preoccupied with thoughts of suicide and despair that time has flown quicker than I expected. My first short paper for my Phil 1000 course (on Frankfurt's Alternate Possibilities and Moral Responsibility) was pretty much 12 hours late. It was due at noon on Sept 30th and I submitted it at 11:48pm. This is awesome as my teacher said "late papers are not likely to be accepted, and if they are, they will be penalized severely. Fucking awesome. Also, my Biology 1000 midterm is on Wednesday and guess who is not prepared? This guy. Fuck. My. Life.

njean777

I'm on paxil. What specific questions do you have?
It works for me and the side effects are minimal in my case(hungry, tired a lot)

(Also, check out the podcast! First episode is all about med side effects!)

My main question is does it cause lucid dreams/nightmares? That is the number one side effect that I cannot stand, and obviously increased suicidal thoughts.

My mind has been so preoccupied with thoughts of suicide and despair that time has flown quicker than I expected. My first short paper for my Phil 1000 course (on Frankfurt's Alternate Possibilities and Moral Responsibility) was pretty much 12 hours late. It was due at noon on Sept 30th and I submitted it at 11:48pm. This is awesome as my teacher said "late papers are not likely to be accepted, and if they are, they will be penalized severely. Fucking awesome. Also, my Biology 1000 midterm is on Wednesday and guess who is not prepared? This guy. Fuck. My. Life.

HAve you tried talking to your teachers? It can most def. not hurt to try to talk to them. They are human and may have had some episodes in their lives that they remember, so try to talk to them in person and see if you guys can work something out.

MikeDip

My main question is does it cause lucid dreams/nightmares? That is the number one side effect that I cannot stand, and obviously increased suicidal thoughts.

HAve you tried talking to your teachers? It can most def. not hurt to try to talk to them. They are human and may have had some episodes in their lives that they remember, so try to talk to them in person and see if you guys can work something out.

It caused extremely vivid dreams for me for about the first 2 months, but those are gone now. A shame since I really liked them. (Not lucid, just ridiculously realistic) Also not nightmares, they were pretty nice.

njean777

It caused extremely vivid dreams for me for about the first 2 months, but those are gone now. A shame since I really liked them. (Not lucid, just ridiculously realistic) Also not nightmares, they were pretty nice.

Fuck, well I may as well try it. Zoloft caused me nightmares along with a whole lot of other side effects so hopefully this one will work.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Dear Bagels,

Hope you like it:

http://youtu.be/6ul-cZyuYq4

best,

Ashes.

Ashes - loving you, it *is* the right thing to do. <3

(Working on the creative writing challenge. Inspiration finally struck.)

That's the irony- Bagels has been cheese-free since his MAOI. ;)

I was feeling down earlier, read that, and it fucking killed me. Humor as a coping strategy - how did I not see that as a podcast topic? It honestly keeps me going.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck old family photos are hitting me hard. :(

I hadn't see your earlier post about family. Or rather, I was too stupid to quote to reveal.

If you ever need someone to listen, I promise I can do that instead of talking all the time, too.

u talking nardil now or am I some place else?

Parnate, actually, but yeah, same kinda stuff.

I am being pressured into visiting the doctor, but I don't want medication. Apparently I 'need help', but I don't think I want it.

There are all sorts of things besides psych meds. And as my recent lyme disease experience illustrates, there can be things outside the mind, things that can be easily treated, that can change how you think and feel.

Both depression itself and the meds used to treat it can change how you dream. My dreams have changed with different meds, but I've never had increased nightmares or lucid dreams. If anything, my current med has led to incredibly mundane dreams. How come I never get to dream I can fly or something cool?

njean777

Ashes - loving you, it *is* the right thing to do. <3

(Working on the creative writing challenge. Inspiration finally struck.)

I was feeling down earlier, read that, and it fucking killed me. Humor as a coping strategy - how did I not see that as a podcast topic? It honestly keeps me going.

I hadn't see your earlier post about family. Or rather, I was too stupid to quote to reveal.

If you ever need someone to listen, I promise I can do that instead of talking all the time, too.

Parnate, actually, but yeah, same kinda stuff.

There are all sorts of things besides psych meds. And as my recent lyme disease experience illustrates, there can be things outside the mind, things that can be easily treated, that can change how you think and feel.

Both depression itself and the meds used to treat it can change how you dream. My dreams have changed with different meds, but I've never had increased nightmares or lucid dreams. If anything, my current med has led to incredibly mundane dreams. How come I never get to dream I can fly or something cool?

Lucid nightmares are not fucking cool at all, especially with my anxiety levels that is just not what I needed. I went a year and half without meds and my anxiety levels have been terrible these last two weeks, so now I am going to try and actually stay on some meds. I took a genetic test for a study and the results will come back in a week and it supposedly tells which drug would help my serotonin levels the most, though it is a new scientific study so it may be wrong. She put me on Paxil because of the anxiety and supposedly Paxil does help with anxiety. So we will see, I will keep you guys posted.

I agree with this, therapy actually did way more help for me then anything (though I was dumb and quit going). I do think therapy has a bad image though, just from recently playing GTA 5, the therapy sessions are shown as a waste of time and money for Michael, and sadly I think that notion prevails in ignorant people who have no clue what the benefits therapy has. R* had a chance to show that therapy can help, and instead, they took the lazy way out and showed it off as a huge waste of time and money. There is no denying that there are therapist that are like the one in GTA 5, but most of them want to help you and actually care.

jb1234

Since my meltdown a few days ago, I've been largely comatose. Sometimes I sleep twelve hours a day, sometimes I just don't get out of bed at all. It's part physical pain, part depression. The will to go through the motions just isn't there. Not sure how much lower I can go. Shall we find out?

I do think therapy has a bad image though, just from recently playing GTA 5, the therapy sessions are shown as a waste of time and money for Michael, and sadly I think that notion prevails in ignorant people who have no clue what the benefits therapy has. R* had a chance to show that therapy can help, and instead, they took the lazy way out and showed it off as a huge waste of time and money. There is no denying that there are therapist that are like the one in GTA 5, but most of them want to help you and actually care.

In all fairness, like the rest of the game, Rockstar is treating therapy as satire. No therapist is going to waste his/her time with someone like Michael, who confesses about the people he's killed on his way to the appointment.

Velcro Fly

I'm stressing out about this stupid Obamacare nonsense.

Thinking about just paying the $95 penalty and being done with it.

My situation is weird in that I live with my parents but have no income so I have no idea how it would work. But I'm feeling a ton of anxiety thinking about having to register for this shit.

Thanks a lot Obama

Chipotle

Any tips on coming off citalopram? Reducing my dose so I can go on something else (yippee) but feeling awful. Tired all the time, no energy, weird vivid dreams and a strange occasional shuddery feeling like I've stood up too quickly but not just confined to my head. I'm going for laziness and soup at the moment but any advice would be appreciated.

AlexSmash

Hey guys.

I really dont feel good and havent felt good for the last 2-3 months.

4 years ago i had my first panic attack (with 19) after smoking some pot. At this time i had a heavily depressed girlfriend and i was mentally healthy to this point. I never smoked much and still do and it really fucked me up this time. High pulse, anxiety all this. After 2 hours its gone and 1 day later already forgotten. 3 days later my heart starts racing again.
I develop a kardiophobia from this point on (still 4 years ago). Doctors check everything, but now and then i suddenly get anxious and a high pulse. I often notice my pulse till today but i learned to not be bothered by it.

3 years ago- my girlfriend and i broke up. Im doing pretty good on my phobia.
1 week after the break up i drink 3-4 beers, 1 cocktail and my pulse is at 180bpm.
Go to the hospital, turns out ive got alcohol induced Atrial fibrillation. Worst night of my life. Ive been afraid of a heart desease for on year and my heart rhythm fucks up.

Doctors check everything. Im fine. Check the heart for 24h. Just some random 1/10000 chance that your heart rhythm doesnt work. They tell me theres nothing they can do.

I move to another city, fiend new friends, im doing pretty good but still fighting with my phobia. Some days i notice that i have almost forgotten my heart and my fear about it. Then Here and there some panic attacks, but i start to do more sport and get used to my heart going fast. I live a pretty good life.

3 months ago i get sick. Nothing too serious. A cold.Till this point my life was basically doing great. Woke up at 8 in the morning, studied hard, played the violin, made sport etc, was socially healthy etc. I havent really recovered from this sickness.. Even after my sickness/cold ended, i feel tired all the day. I cant concentrate. My eyes hurt/feel heavy. Feeling of pressure on my chest.All those symptoms change over days. One day im tired, the next day ive got head ache. The other day i have swindle. Sleep is HORRIBLE. Finally i go to the doctor. My blood is fine (also tested on Lyme desease btw), lungs, heart everything works. He suspects a depression and that i should visit a professional. Couldnt really believe him because all of this started with me being sick!

Is it normal that depressions come with physical symptoms? Has anyone experienced something similar?I feel very depressed most days too since then. Cant get out of the bed, not really interested in stuff. But till i visited the doctor i thought that it was a direct result of me feeling tired and less concentrated... my sleep pattern is fucked up. I wake up at 3 o clock and go to bed at 4-5 in the morning
But still Its like im running on 30-50% energy. University is starting and the thought of learning 3-4h the day makes me uncomfortable. Im really afraid whats ahead of me now....
Im so afraid of taking medications/SSRI etc, ive seen what it does to my ex girlfriend.

sorry for my bad language, im from germany.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I Wished I Was The Moon

The Moon was blasted from the Earth 4.5 billion years ago, when our solar system was very young. It hangs over us in the sky, gray and dead. So far as we know, the Moon has never harbored life, which would not arise for another billion years on the planet left behind.

Being depressed is so much like dying, of having never lived at all. I&#8217;m convinced that some people choose to end their own lives because, while the gulf usually feels so wide, in reality, very little separates life and death. Depression takes that thin line, reveals how narrow it really is, and then blurs it until it&#8217;s hard to tell if it exists at all. For some people, in the end, maybe it&#8217;s almost trivial to cross over. Maybe there&#8217;s nothing left to cross.

I listen to Neko Case&#8217;s &#8220;I Wish I Was the Moon,&#8221; and I think about crossing over myself. Many nights, I lie awake and wish I was the Moon.

RothkoBlackGray.jpg

The Earth was young when the moon was torn from it. But the Earth feels the loss of the Moon, and feels its continued presence. The tides come in and out every day. The Moon slows our rotation, lengthening the day every so slightly with each passing year. Most noticeably, the Moon reflects the light of the sun, the ultimate bringer of life, down on our nights. The moon transits our night skies. But every time it leaves, it comes back.

Sometimes the light glinting off the Moon keep me awake at night and sometimes it&#8217;s a welcome companion on walks in the dark, when I&#8217;ve forgotten my light.

I&#8217;m lucky to get to spend my summers in Maine, on a small island, where our lives are subject to the forces of the tides. Twice a day, the tide goes out and our boats are left high and dry. We couldn&#8217;t leave if we wanted to. And twice a day, the waters reach as high as they can. The tides bring things in and out, altering the landscape in ways subtle and profound. I watch it for hours on end.

In what may be mankind&#8217;s greatest triumph, we went to the Moon. We took what is so far our ultimate voyage of discovery. And when we got there, we found nothing; a cold, dead, gray planet. Rocks and dust. All that effort for a trip to a wasteland.

But standing there, on a dead world, bereft of life, we could look back and see the totality of life on earth.

"We came all this way to explore the Moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the Earth" - William Anders

I often think about what I&#8217;ve learned from my depression. I guess, if you spend enough time circling the Moon, the dead remnant of what was once a whole planet, in the cold vacuum of space, you realize it&#8217;s the only way you&#8217;re going to see the Earth rise.

I did not choose to come here. But I can choose to try to come back. That&#8217;s my Apollo Program.

And it&#8217;s hard, because I didn&#8217;t plan on coming. If I&#8217;m coming back, I only have what&#8217;s left of what I accidentally brought along with me. I jettisoned a lot of it along the way.

But unlike the actual Apollo Program, I&#8217;ve found quite a few things out here, things that will help me get back. Michael Collins orbited the Moon all alone, but I&#8217;m not the only one out here.

I tried to think of a title with the word &#8220;Moon&#8221; in it, to slip in here inspire me. And you know what came to mind? &#8220;Goodnight Moon&#8221; And I think about my son and how much he needs a dad. And my nephew will be joining us here in the world tomorrow and he&#8217;ll need me, too. And I think of people gone from my life and how I feel their absence. I feel their presence too, from time to time. But while they go in and out now, it was always high tide before they left.

I abort my descent to the lunar surface, fire the pitifully weak rockets I have left - will they be enough? - and blast back towards Earth.

My sketch of the Moon
Untitled (Black on Grey), Mark Rothko, 1970
Fishermen at Sea, JMW Turner 1796
Earthrise, William Anders, 1968
Blue Marble, Crew of Apollo 17, 1972

Neko Case: I Wish I Was the Moon

Chipotle

It's absolutely normal to feel physical symptoms when you're depressed. I understand what you mean about medication and don't think it's for everybody. You can always come off it though.

Have you thought about cognitive behavioural therapy? I knew someone who had similar worries to yours (although I accept everybody's different) and it was very useful in helping him understand his anxieties and why he would worry so much about his physical health. It's something that is often recommended by doctors here in the UK and there are exercises you can do on your own as well as with a professional depending on what works best for you.

Lots of people find counselling helpful as well and it's something you should consider. You don't need to come with an answer for exactly what you're going through and the process can (like CBT) help you better understand how you think about things. I'm not sure how available it is in Germany but here most universities will have a counselling service so if you're a student the same might apply over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom