• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

But, overall, I think that horror fans do get fewer highs, but our lows are a lot more fun than the lows of others.
I completely agree. It seems our base requirements are some of the easier ones to meet in terms of genre, but even the "failures" have a wonderful "cheekiness" that makes it all good fun no matter what. It's why I think I don't watch many comedies because horror fills that slot for me ten times over. It's the vapid attempts with no personality that I condemn, and honestly, any time you try to be oh so serious when your concept is NOT as strong as you think it is. (Evil Dead 2013)

CGI has taken a lot of fun out of what made me a horror fan though. Not quite the gross and icky factor as actual shining latex, which is something that appealed to me so much so probably because it was an extension of Halloween, except year 'round.

Linkhero1

You might have a better experience than me if you enjoy found footage flicks, but they all annoy me to no end, so any flaws just compound on my dislike for them.

I ended up watching it. I enjoyed it for what it was. I was laughing throughout the entire thing, though, the third vhs kinda creeped me out. Something about cults and the weird shit they do.

I completely agree. It seems our base requirements are some of the easier ones to meet in terms of genre, but even the "failures" have a wonderful "cheekiness" that makes it all good fun no matter what. It's why I think I don't watch many comedies because horror fills that slot for me ten times over. It's the vapid attempts with no personality that I condemn, and honestly, any time you try to be oh so serious when your concept is NOT as strong as you think it is. (Evil Dead 2013)

CGI has taken a lot of fun out of what made me a horror fan though. Not quite the gross and icky factor as actual shining latex, which is something that appealed to me so much so probably because it was an extension of Halloween, except year 'round.

CGI and the rise of digital cameras to me has killed horror. So many awful films just seem like student film projects nowadays or seriously just don't care. But to make these movies nowadays costs nothing, at least even on video it required a bit more work and expense. It's easier than ever now any everyone is spewing out garbage horror. The direct to video market of the 80's/90's still had hurdles to go through, but the flood gates have been blown wide open and we are flooded with pure crap now.

CGI and the rise of digital cameras to me has killed horror. So many awful films just seem like student film projects nowadays or seriously just don't care. But to make these movies nowadays costs nothing, at least even on video it required a bit more work and expense. It's easier than ever now any everyone is spewing out garbage horror.
It's like the switch to tape but even cheaper! I think if Red Boxes are any indication, every genre is suffering from the same exploitation though.

Booser

OCT 2nd - Howling III - The Marsupials (1987)

I watched this because I thought the sound of were-marsupials in Australia sounded interesting. I'm beginning to think after watching this I should never trust myself again.

I dont know how to describe the plot. All I know is that it doesnt make any sense. There is a black and white video of a werewolf being killed - "our experts say its unlikely to be a mask" lauds our hero, despite the fact its an obvious mask. An english-sometimes american professor travels to Australia to find this new species of "human". There are military guys, a bald guy, a ballet recital, a naked dancing guy, and then the last part of the film becomes an unbearable to watch bestiality tale which NEVER ENDS.

Save yourself. Don't watch this.

Ridley327

WEEK ONE - THE NEW BLOOD
October 3

iuLJFQ0b6qhLS.jpg

Is Frankenstein's Army a good movie? Perhaps not. Its central found footage gimmick feels entirely unnecessary, its plotting is stuck in neutral until the last half hour or so, and it doesn't have very much for its characters to say or do until they're turned into the latest creation for the dear Doctor, leaving a lot of empty shouting and swearing for them until that time comes.

However, Frakenstein's Army is an entertaining film, as nearly the entire budget of the film is spent on the titular creations, offering up a far stronger variety of memorable monsters than you'd ever expect to see in a low budget feature. Logic defying in every sense of the term (what is the tactical advantage of a stilted mosquito man, exactly?), the film makes it fun as hell to guess at what will come off of Frankenstein's assembly line next. And with virtually no CG, you can really admire the craft put into the makeup work and costume design for all them. Sure, some of them do often betray the fact that the actors don't really know what the hell they're doing underneath all of their appliances and thick leather jackets, but it's all in good fun. This film may have close to zero appreciation value after the fact, but how often can you say you've seen a film that has a Nazi R2-D2, for no other reason than to have a Nazi R2-D2? I can think of none, and that's gotta be worth something.

Oct. 4 preview: We're keeping up the yucks (and the yucks!) with the next double feature. First, some hillbillies just want to enjoy their vacation, when mistaken identity take matters to gory extremes in Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. Next, director Joseph Khan looks to do for slasher films what he did for automotive Point Break ripoffs with Torque in Detention, but he hopefully goes easy on the amount of Dane Cook in the film, because fuck that guy.

Ridley327

CGI and the rise of digital cameras to me has killed horror. So many awful films just seem like student film projects nowadays or seriously just don't care. But to make these movies nowadays costs nothing, at least even on video it required a bit more work and expense. It's easier than ever now any everyone is spewing out garbage horror. The direct to video market of the 80's/90's still had hurdles to go through, but the flood gates have been blown wide open and we are flooded with pure crap now.

As a counterpoint, however, it's much easier than it has ever been to figure out what's good and what's crap, thanks to the internet. Sure, you have to sift through hyperbole here and there, but finding the good stuff is as easy as just typing the film title into Google and pressing enter.

As a counterpoint, however, it's much easier than it has ever been to figure out what's good and what's crap, thanks to the internet. Sure, you have to sift through hyperbole here and there, but finding the good stuff is as easy as just typing the film title into Google and pressing enter.

I've had a hard time getting any good opinions on some of the more modern stuff. Though just by going on youtube a trailer usually gives you a decent indication if it looks like some effort was made or if it was a group of friends and a mac who made the movie.

Course I think Thankskilling was a work of art......

Ridley327

I've had a hard time getting any good opinions on some of the more modern stuff. Though just by going on youtube a trailer usually gives you a decent indication if it looks like some effort was made or if it was a group of friends and a mac who made the movie.

Course I think Thankskilling was a work of art......

Hey, that's why my first week and a good chunk of the second week are largely comprised of newer films.

You can trust me.

Honest!

Icomp

1. Saw (Rewatch)
Not as intense as the first time I watched it. Good movie nonetheless. I really like the way it gets more and more complicated after every sequel. Great way to start the horror-marathon with.

2. I spit on your grave (2010)
Since I have not seen the original I was expecting horror and some gore, what I got was an okay to bad thriller with bad effects.

3. Devil (2010)
The Devil in an elevetor? Why not, might be interesting. Got a bit turned off when I read M Night Shyamalan wrote the story etc and needless to say I stayed turned off. I'd say the movie isn'tt worth a watch, cheap writing does not help, it all feels a bit strained.

Bonus: I'm about to watch Insidious in hope for a better #3.

Oct 2: #1 House on Haunted Hill (1959 version)

house-on-haunted-hill-still.jpg

Vincent Price invites 5 people to stay in a haunted mansion for one night and they each get $10,000 if they survive. One of them owns the mansion and truly believes it is haunted by the spirits of people murdered there. But the mansion may not be haunted and may be an elaborate hoax with the intention of one of the visitors to murder the others one by one...

Lot of blood-curdling screaming by the ladies and decent special effects involving a witch and a skeleton (the highlight of the movie) make this whodunnit an interesting Vincent Price feature, but it could have been more spooky and feature deeper characters and motivations.

6/10

EVIL

watched 3 movies on my list

Started off with V/H/S
Pretty cool, allot of variety.
4/5

After that we watched Grave Encounters 2
Okay movie, didn't really liked it as much as the first, but it did some interesting things that differentiated from the first.
3/5

Next on the list was Stake Land
Fantastic movie, this one took us by surprise. Expected a very B movie film with cheesy vampire stuff, but it turned out to be a very artful movie, with good pacing! Go watch this one!
4.5/5

next up is the awakening! sounds interesting

TheReturnOfTheLivingDead2.jpg

I have a soft spot for Return2 though as I watched it as a kid. It still has one of my favorite settings in a horror film (suburbs under construction) as well as poster art(included above, its amazing!). Its very much supposed to be a comedy though and should be viewed as such.

EDIT: didnt see you posted the art as well!
fright-night-horror-poster.jpg

They totally ripped off Fright Night's poster.

Enk

makes good threads.

Wither
Trailer

So longtime Evil Dead fans, are you still looking for that one film that captures that visceral essence of what made the first film so special? You've been scouring movie after movie until trying to get that high you initially felt? Demons and Night of the Demons were fun but they didn't cut it? Demon Wind was like the wind coming from your demon ass? And you thought the reboot lacked the charm and energy of the original? Well I may have the film for you!

Wither is a Swedish Evil Dead tribute that came out in 2012. It's premise is very similar to that film: 6 friends go out to a house in the middle of nowhere where a creature in the basement possesses one of the friends and she in turn possesses the others. So yeah, much like Evil Dead, but without aping it completely. Much like the original this film is gore drenched and rarely ever let's down once things start going down (and things gets going pretty early). The only real knocks I have against it is that the first 20 minutes are a little rough and some of the characters are pretty weak (Evil Dead was like that as well so I'll let it slide). It also lacks the heightened imagination of Evil Dead, but I felt this was more closer in tone and pacing to the original film than the reboot was.

Definitely check this out if you're a longtime Evil Dead fan like myself!

strobogo

Banned
A few years ago, I watched a lot of the Universal classics for the first time. I really, really enjoyed the Frankenstein series, especially The Bride of Frankenstein. It is the prototype for great sequels. I also really liked The Wolfman and The Mummy. I would put Dracula at the bottom of my list, but not because I thought it was bad or anything. The Mummy is basically a remake of Dracula and just does it all better since it was a bit more sophisticated.

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 2 - Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (2012)

Werewolf_beast_among_us_poster.jpg

Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (2012) - Another swing and a miss for Universal as they again try and reimagine their classic monsters for the new millenium. In fairness, it's not a terrible movie, with some fair acting, decent effects and a twisting whodunit plot that moves along at a decent clip, but it flies in the face of too many of the classic monster tropes while relying on others and feels contrived and confused in the end as a result, with surprise reveals of serial villans spoiling the ride. Still, it was stylish fun while it lasted, with a reworked classic "Universal European village" à la the 1932-48 originals combined with western and even steampunk elements. Better than Van Helsing anyway
(except that it lacks Kate Beckensale)

Lot of blood-curdling screaming by the ladies and decent special effects involving a witch and a skeleton (the highlight of the movie) make this whodunnit an interesting Vincent Price feature, but it could have been more spooky and feature deeper characters and motivations.
Check out The Bat if you can, I think it's the best murder mystery Price film there be. But uh, I watch a lot of Vincent Price movies because he's the fucking man, so my tolerance may be skewed.

Most definitely renting this, great write up.

MattyH

The-Loved-Ones-poster.jpg

Day 3 The Loved Ones: This has been on my list for the second year now i seriously cant get enough of it best aussie horror since wolf creek.
im at a friends till sunday so will be doing a update on sunday of what i watch over the weekend

grim0451

Neo Member
2. Cemetery Man

Been putting off this one forever, for no particular reason. A thing I regret now as this will be a movie I will return to in the future. Death, Love, and questions as to what is real turns the occasional schlock into something much more interesting. Even as the main characters world starts to crumble, I liked how subdued they kept him, how soft spoken he was most of the time. It such a strange mash up of gore, pondering of life and death, along with a good bit of nudity. Which can bring certain assumptions about where the movie is going early on, but it does it smartly enough to keep a message throughout. Although I suppose one left partially to interpretation.

Overall: 8

Day 2: Texas Chainsaw (2013)

I hadn't heard great things about this one but being a massive fan of the original, and in the mood for some cheap thrills, curiosity got the better of me.
It wasn't long until I was bored and checking how long was left on the timer, it just wasn't scary and I'm usually pretty easily scared by horror films. There was one memorable scene which was pretty good
when he cuts the face off the policeman and sews it on
and the opening scene was pretty interesting too.

When I say boring I don't mean that nothing happens. There's plenty going on, lots of chasing and creeping around, it's just none of it gripped me and the time just slowly trickled by. I can't get my head around how a Texas Chainsaw film can be so boring, even the sequels were entertaining in a twisted kind of way but this was just tame.

snore/10

Jal

4. Body Bags (1993)

p8sLoF9.jpg

Standard horror anthology like Creepshow, thought Tobe Hoopers short was the best, Carpenters first was ok but i didnt like the second at all.

5/10

Wish I still had physical rental stores around me. Closest I can try is to hit up the movie stop and scrounge the horror dvds, usually have ton of stuff for less than 5 bucks. But yea miss physical rental. Outside of amazon, any other online sites with good selection of horror rentals? And amazon right now is pretty sparse outside of new releases.

Linkhero1

What are some of the scariest horror films? I've watched plenty and nothing has come close to scaring me except for a few cheap jump scares.

Tonight, I'm most likely going to watch The Blair Witch Project. Have never seen it before so it should be interesting.

Metalmarc

Oops not posted here yet

1. Jason X - Rewatch 6.5/10 , i really enjoyed this back in 2001, mind you i was 19 at the time, my excuse, but when you are younger sometimes you look at films with rose tinted glases. Now too looka t it, it comes across as a SYFY channel movie. Still not as bad as some other cheap horror films,s till a guilty pleasure of mine, i do like a cheesy horror flick and probably quite a lot of my picks will be cheesy.

2. Silent Hill - now i havent played the games before, so i apporached it as a horror fan not a videogame fan
and well, I liked it. Even if it was a bit complicated to follow, i wonder id thats because ive not played any of the games, and it was quite long, but visually it was quite impressive, i read quite a few reviews that knock it, but i think it seems underated, nice and gory and creepy, like the pyramind head and the other creatures 8/10

EVIL

Wish I still had physical rental stores around me. Closest I can try is to hit up the movie stop and scrounge the horror dvds, usually have ton of stuff for less than 5 bucks. But yea miss physical rental. Outside of amazon, any other online sites with good selection of horror rentals? And amazon right now is pretty sparse outside of new releases.

I am getting a large part of my horror fix on netflix.

What are some of the scariest horror films? I've watched plenty and nothing has come close to scaring me except for a few cheap jump scares.

Tonight, I'm most likely going to watch The Blair Witch Project. Have never seen it before so it should be interesting.

My default recommendations are [REC] and Martyrs.
[REC] for a solid horror film that pulls off a confined-area shaky cam thing pretty well and Martyrs for a horror film that is purely relentless and cringe-inducing while still having a decent if slightly out-of-left-field plot.

Horror movies don't really "scare" me anymore per sé, so it's hard to think of stuff that others might find scary.

Necrovex

October 3: V/H/S

After seeing everyone posting about this film, I thought why not make this my third one. As an anthology, it was pretty damn enjoyable. I was worried that I would have to deal with a bag of douches, but that fear was quickly relieved.

At first, I thought everything was going to be tied together. But nope on that part! Probably for the best too. Though I want to know how all of those VHS tapes were at that one house.

I enjoyed the skype and ghost house stories the most. Emily was a tad dumb though, cutting into her body like that. Though she had a smoking-ass body!

The ghost house taught everyone an important lesson: Never help anyone or a train will hit you.

4/5. IGN Scale: 9.56/10. Conan Scale: Green/Yellow.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Exorcist.

3rd October

Film number 5: The Fallow Field
Tagline: Memento meets Wolf Creek set against the backdrop of English harvest time

Opening thoughts: That’s not a tagline, that’s a quote that nobody said, so why is it on the cover of the dvd? And there is no way in hell the film’s going to live up to that kind of hype. On the plus side, the rotting green zombie hand reaching up from the verdant earth is a pretty cool cover pic for the non-quote to go on.

aTX20cs.png

Closing thoughts: Memento meets Wolf Creek my fat arse. Still, for a no budget indie horror, it’s not at all bad. The story - about a psycho serial killing farmer who resurrects his victims by burying them in the mystic fallow field of the title – is actually pretty good. It’s a shame the budget didn’t stretch to hiring better than daytime-soap-opera-quality actors though. It’s also hard to work out if the director is deliberately aping trashy 80s genre flicks or if the retro styling is coincidental. Still, it’s got a great script, a great score, some gratuitous boobage and it was filmed not far from where I live. So I’m giving it a definite thumbs up.

Score: 7 out of 10. Went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)

Haunted-Hill-1.jpg

2. House on Haunted Hill (1959) (Netflix)

I hate to invoke TVTropes, but the only way this movie's made sense to me is if I describe it as a Gambit Pile-up. Two characters rely on every element of their plan to go exactly they way they had planned in order for them to achieve their goals, while another character has anticipated every step of their plans and has a counter-plan in place. If not for the subtle malevolence in Vincent Price's performance, I don't think this film would have worked at all.

The best part of the film is watching Vincent Price's Frederick Loren and Carol Ohmart's Annabelle Loren disguise their contempt for each other in not very subtle threats. Unfortunately, it crosses the line from the careful balance of power and contempt in the early scenes to Frederick Loren pretty clearly abusing his wife.

I appreciate the ambiguity with which the film treats the supernatural. There are plausible explanations for what we see, but there is still enough room for debt because the explanations that the film provides don't withstand scrutiny. Fro example, we are told that one of the characters, who is investigating a room in the cellar, was simply surprised by one of the house's caretakers. But when we see that room later, there's no way that the character could have missed that caretaker because the cellar room is so small. And the blood dripping from the ceiling is never really explained.

Finally, is it possible that full motion video games like Mad Dog McCree or Night Trap are the true successors of movies like House on Haunted Hill? The film does not hesitate to break the fourth wall at the beginning and the end.

October 3

4. The Faculty (1998)

3B9J7zp.jpg

I remember this movie being really popular when it first came out and I can see why. This would be on my list of great modern horror movies. Movie borrows a lot from Body Snatchers and Night of the Creeps. Effects don't really hold up and Jon Stewart with no gray hair is good for a laugh.

6/10.

matt360

OCTOBER 4 - Return of the Living Dead
iI3nx7N.jpg

First viewing, and loved every minute of it. This movie was actually recommended to me last week by my mother-in-law. Here in Japan, it's apparently called バタリアン (Batallion), but it was extremely popular here in the mid 80's when it came out. It took us forever to find out what movie she was actually talking about, and when I found out it was in fact Return of the Living Dead, I decided to give it a shot. Honestly, I had always thought it was part of the Romero set.

On to the film itself, it was highly enjoyable from start to finish. Zombies, stupid teenagers, gratuitous nudity, and a decent amount of gore from start to finish. The only knock I could make against the movie is perhaps the ending. And a little more gore would have been nice too. I give it an 8.5/10.

kaiju

First viewing, and loved every minute of it. This movie was actually recommended to me last week by my mother-in-law. Here in Japan, it's apparently called バタリアン (Batallion), but it was extremely popular here in the mid 80's when it came out. It took us forever to find out what movie she was actually talking about, and when I found out it was in fact Return of the Living Dead, I decided to give it a shot. Honestly, I had always thought it was part of the Romero set.

On to the film itself, it was highly enjoyable from start to finish. Zombies, stupid teenagers, gratuitous nudity, and a decent amount of gore from start to finish. The only knock I could make against the movie is perhaps the ending. And a little more gore would have been nice too. I give it an 8.5/10.

Glad you enjoyed this one! Definite cult classic, and one of my all time faves.

Jal

5. I Spit On Your Grave 2 (2013)

y5TPmZz.jpg

Well a sequel to a remake is the last thing i expected to be enjoying, enjoying as in "well this is fucking grim" for the first half, but actually that's why i'm watching because i want it to evoke some emotion unlike that TCM garbage i watched the other day. The actress plays a better victim than killer i would say but the slight change of tone doesnt help as the dialogue becomes a bit cheesy when she becomes psycho bitch.

8/10

2. Resolution

This was... I dunno. It was OK. I didn't dislike it, but didn't really do much for me. Not a whole lot happened. Two dudes in an abandoned house find shit left for them by someone or something. The stuff they found wasn't creepy, nothing was creepy or scary or anything. I liked the guy who played the "junkie", but everything else was just OK. And then it just ended. So WTF was the thing that was fucking with them and revealed itself at the end? It kind of felt like they were trying to make a really creepy mind fuck horror movie, but they ended up not doing any of that. I have to wonder if Ridley and I watched the same movie.

Didn't watch anything today, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to until Monday at the earliest. Oh well, so much for 31 days of horror. I'll try to make up for each day I miss though.

Ridley327

2. Resolution

This was... I dunno. It was OK. I didn't dislike it, but didn't really do much for me. Not a whole lot happened. Two dudes in an abandoned house find shit left for them by someone or something. The stuff they found wasn't creepy, nothing was creepy or scary or anything. I liked the guy who played the "junkie", but everything else was just OK. And then it just ended. So WTF was the thing that was fucking with them and revealed itself at the end? It kind of felt like they were trying to make a really creepy mind fuck horror movie, but they ended up not doing any of that. I have to wonder if Ridley and I watched the same movie.

Didn't watch anything today, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to until Monday at the earliest. Oh well, so much for 31 days of horror. I'll try to make up for each day I miss though.

I can't believe I get to link to a good IMDB discussion for a change, but here you go (massive spoilers, of course): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1977895/board/nest/211980196?ref_=tt_bd_1

My rewatch did a lot to help clarify things further and catch vital details I missed the first time around.

rogueriffers

Neo Member
Tonight's movies:

1. Night of the Demons 2 - This is obviously the follow up to Kevin Tenney's original Night of the Demons. There was one more, possibly two, after this if I recall correctly. They were pretty hard to take with the exception of the one that had a sex scene with a girl in a cat suit. Anway, this has all the elements of the first film, maybe with a little less heart. There's a teen halloween party, a visit to Hull House,
though the majority of the film doesn't take place there
, a hit or miss soundtrack, good gore and creepy effects, and plenty of nudity.

Unfortunately it also has a bit too weird comedy stuff. It doesn't go well alongside the attempts at serious horror and even dramatic pathos. There's a tearful death scene I'm thinking of in particular.
I think in the nineties people thought it was impermissible to make a horror movie that wasn't tongue in cheek or self aware. I don't know if I'd say this is self-aware, but it certainly could stand to take itself a little more seriously.
As the movie progresses, it just gets more and more ridiculous, culminating in the stinger,
where a girl picks up a lipstick tube off the ground in a parking lot, seems interested in it (isn't that a little gross in itself?), and then a terrible CGI snake comes out
. Credits roll. Go to hell, Night of the Demons 2.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre II - I've said it before, and I won't labor the point, but this is a an excellent movie. Not better or worse than the first, just different, and certainly stands up better to repeated viewings. It's genuinely funny and still gets off the hinges but doesn't sacrifice moments of genuine horror, or the sense that the characters are in real danger.
You can't beat a movie with The Cramps, Lords of the New Church, and Oingo Boingo on the soundtrack.
I'd put this in the same category as Night of the Living Dead. It's fun, has a sense of humor, but doesn't sacrifice the sense real tension.
My only complaint about this movie is the guy with the metal plate in his head. He just always rubbed me the wrong way, possibly because I hate most things that remind me of the sixties (not that I was alive for them, but everyone naysaying the 80s during the 80s seemed to be doing it because they were holding a candle for the 60s).
Anyway, I digress. Hopper is amazing, and my favorite scene hands down is one where he's trying out the chainsaws, because of the reaction of the shop keeper.
Love this movie!

The_Rocky_Horror_Picture_Show.jpg

Oct.1 - Rocky Horror Picture Show

Yearly rewatch. Actually saw this for the first time in 2011 I believe and I love it more and more each time I watch it. Highly recommend watching the alternate Black and White opening.

9/10

EvilDead2013Poster.jpg

Oct. 2 - Evil Dead (2013)

Film is an uninspired piece of shit. Horrid/almost non-existant dialog over a film that is barely stitched together in-between the scenes where it just wants to fuck up the cast as much as possible. A cast, mind you, that you will be either completely indifferent to at best, or ready to see killed off asap at worst.
I really wanted to give this movie a chance. I made it a mandate it go in and not regard the original. It really wasn't that hard. The problem with this one is that it's just a bad horror film.
The only compliment I could give it is how the folks were insistent with use practical effects. It had a fairly low budget but doesn't necessarily look it. If anything, the look of the film reminded me of the Texas Chainsaw remake from Marcus Nispel.... which ain't a good thing.
Can't Believe Raimi and Campbell supported this and don't get me started on that after credits bit.

3/10

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) The Blair Witch Project- This is a movie I haven't seen since I was 14 or 15 years old. I remember liking it and it creeping me out. So naturally, I was looking forward to it. The movie has aged relatively well. The atmosphere is really well done. Especially during the night scenes. However, I will say that it can be slow and boring in some parts of the movie. The ending scene(s) were still suspenseful and creepy. I hated the ending images back then and it still hate it now. Just something unsettling about
him standing in the corner.

I give it a solid 8/10.

Good first movie to kick off my movie marathon.

1) The Blair Witch Project- This is a movie I haven't seen since I was 14 or 15 years old. I remember liking it and it creeping me out. So naturally, I was looking forward to it. The movie has aged relatively well. The atmosphere is really well done. Especially during the night scenes. However, I will say that it can be slow and boring in some parts of the movie. The ending scene(s) were still suspenseful and creepy. I hated the ending images back then and it still hate it now. Just something unsettling about
him standing in the corner.

I give it a solid 8/10.

Good first movie to kick off my movie marathon.

the
hands beating on the tent
still freak me out :(

rogueriffers

Neo Member
Oct.1 - Rocky Horror Picture Show

Highly recommend watching the alternate Black and White opening.

Oct. 2 - Evil Dead (2013)

Film is an uninspired piece of shit. Horrid/almost non-existant dialog over a film that is barely stitched together in-between the scenes where it just wants to fuck up the cast as much as possible.

Thank you! For both, but particularly the second rating. Goddamn that movie was lame. Modern horror filmmakers could stand to go back and rewatch some of the Australian horror movies of the 80s like Body Melt just to be reminded that things can be as bright and colorful as you like, and still be scary or disturbing. Also, why can't we just have, like, one likable character?

Two questions: what is this B&W alternate opening you speak of, and what was the after credits thing in the Evil Dead (I forget it)?

Day 2: Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)

return_of_the_living_dead_2.jpg

I think RotLD 2 is a little underrated myself. Sure, it has problems like the slapstick humor doesn't really work and it feels so much more child-friendly than the original, but I still think it's better than people (including the director) give it credit for.

One thing it definitely has going for it is it treats the zombies as corpses. From the fantastic dead rising form their graves sequence to all the gags involving their decomposing bodies being damaged, it delivers. I'm a huge zombie fan, but I'm so sick of infected humans and all the modern crap we get so when I see a movie that actually has reanimated corpses rising from the grave, I'm happy.

It's at least the best out of the 4 sequels and Suzanne Snyder is a cutie patootie.

Regarding FRANKENSTEIN'S ARMY... there is currently a war developing on FB between the director and Dieter Laser of HUMAN CENTIPEDE fame.

The director claimed he met with Laser, but he wan't the right choice. Laser is claiming he read the script and turned it down, never meeting the director.

Story in progress.

Hah. I'm just gonna assume Laser is in the wrong on this one after all that Human Centipede 3 nonsense.

2. Cemetery Man

{...snip...}

Overall: 8

I'm glad you liked it! That's another one of my faves and last year some people weren't to impressed by it. It's so poetic and schlocky at the same time, I love it.

iI3nx7N.jpg

{...}Honestly, I had always thought it was part of the Romero set.

It kind of is, actually. It had a pretty interesting path to the screen. Romeo wrote Night of the Living Dead with John A. Russo. They split after that (different stories on why) and while Romeo went off and continued the Dead series with films, Russo continued the Living Dead series on with a novel, Return of the Living Dead, which was actually a direct sequel to Night.

Russo himself was originally going to direct the movie which at the time was still a serious, direct sequel to Night. Tobe Hooper then got involved as director, apparently for marketability reasons and was going to shoot it in 3D, but stuff happened and that never went though. Dan O'Bannon was eventually given control of the project, he wanted the script rewritten to be funnier as he didn't want to step on Romero's toes. I haven't read the novel, but my understanding is that it was pretty much all changed for the movie.

That's really just the bullet points from my spotty memory. If you're interested, the movie has a pretty fascinating history and there's an excellent book that chronicles it called "The Complete History of the Return of the Living Dead" that covers the entire franchise. There's also a really fun documentary called More Brains! Both are worth checking out just for the Dan O'Bannon stories alone. He was a real character.

Thank you! For both, but particularly the second rating. Goddamn that movie was lame.

Two questions: what is this B&W alternate opening you speak of, and what was the after credits thing in the Evil Dead (I forget it)?

If you have the anniversary edition of Rocky Horror on blu ray, it comes with both the US and UK cut. It also comes with an option where you can play it in B&W all the way up to when they start the chorus for TimeWarp. It's pretty great actually.

For Evil Dead,
after the end credits, you hear some of the original recording of the professor reading about the Necronomicon. Afterwards, you see Ash for a few seconds and he says "Groovy" ....yep, that's it, pretty lame way to try and validate this trash

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
the
hands beating on the tent
still freak me out :(

Same here! Or the scene where you hear someone crying.

I remember the fake stuff they did for this movie leading up to the release. They knocked it out of the park with their viral marketing.

Top Bottom