• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Ridley327

Hey Thirsty, has there been any talk of a Blu-ray release of RotLD in the US like the one Europe got recently with the original theatrical line-up of songs? MGM's treatment of the film has been rather awful, but seeing as they're so buddy-buddy with Shout! Factory these days, I'm hopeful that something will come of it.

Hey Thirsty, has there been any talk of a Blu-ray release of RotLD in the US like the one Europe got recently with the original theatrical line-up of songs? MGM's treatment of the film has been rather awful, but seeing as they're so buddy-buddy with Shout! Factory these days, I'm hopeful that something will come of it.

Oh man, I wish I had good news for you, but I haven't heard anything. I've never seen the original version and I'd love to have it too. I want the version with Tarman's original voice too.

As far as I know, Shout! hasn't made any statements about it, but you know how they are. They like to reveal things as big surprises so who knows. It does seem like a movie that would fit perfectly in their catalog but it might not be worth the hassle of clearing all the songs considering it's still a fringe title.

Oddly enough, doesn't the Spanish language track on the DVD have some of the music that they supposedly don't have the rights to? I know I've heard the original Tarman voice somewhere too, but that was probably just in the trailer. My memory isn't what it used to be :(

Ridley327

If Shout! Factory can help make the director's cut of Nightbreed happen on a commercial level, then anything is possible!

At least, that's how I choose to interpret that situation.

If Shout! Factory can help make the director's cut of Nightbreed happen on a commercial level, then anything is possible!

At least, that's how I choose to interpret that situation.

But wasn't that assembled before they came in to distribute it?

If anyone can do it though, Shout! would be my fist bet. They continue to impress.

kaiju

If anyone can do it though, Shout! would be my fist bet. They continue to impress.

Yes, Shout! is the best in the business right now. Really love the retro covers.

They Live as an example:

1625461h.jpg

Also, good insight on the RoTLD franchise. Never knew Russo wrote the story.

Ridley327

From what the director of the Cabal Cut said at DragonCon, the cut as it is now is more or less something he made for Clive Barker and friends that just so happened to get clearance from Morgan Creek to be shown at conventions and film festivals. The version that Shout! is doing is, with any luck, going to be an even more extended director's cut, as they're still going through the Morgan Creek archives to find the best possible quality for the footage that they're looking for. Fingers crossed that they're able to find even more footage than what's already in the Cabal Cut, since it still feels like there's a good hour missing from the film.

Yes, Shout! is the best in the business right now. Really love the retro covers.

They Live as an example:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-486T8FSWIlo/UOjhSmzcscI/AAAAAAAACik/3iYgwdXrK5A/s1600/1625461h.jpg

The Day of the Dead cover is a thing of beauty
(poor Rhodes!).

Too bad about that Darkman cover though.

From what the director of the Cabal Cut said at DragonCon, the cut as it is now is more or less something he made for Clive Barker and friends that just so happened to get clearance from Morgan Creek to be shown at conventions and film festivals. The version that Shout! is, with any luck, going to be an even more extended director's cut, as they're still going through the Morgan Creek archives to find the best possible quality for the footage that they're looking for. Fingers crossed that they're able to find even more footage than what's already in the Cabal Cut, since it still feels like there's a good hour missing from the film.

Nice. Man, am I glad I held off watching the original. I hope they do include the theatrical cut too, just for completest sake.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Try to keep it up to date this year with the reviews, so here goes.

1. The Prophecy

the-prophecy.jpg

I figured I'd get the year kicked off with the movie that's been sitting in my queue for nearly a year. I love Walken (who doesn't), and for years I'd seen the cover sittin on horror movie shelves. The movie was LOADED with cheese, the best of this coming from Christopher walken (with a bonus appearnce from Vigo). The movie has a handful of moments, and some genuinely unnerving shots, but for the most part it's meh. Wouldn't sway you away, but unless you have nothing else, I'd say skip it.

5/10

2. Event Horizon

event_horizon_6-450-x-2921.jpg

Directed by the real Paul Anderson (obviously) /sarcasm. In all seriousness this is easily Paul W.S. Anderson's best movie, which really isn't saying all that much. It's a rewatch of sorts, but it'd really been something like 16 years since I'd seen it. The first half is actually really impressive. A solid cast lead by Laurence Fishburn and Sam Neil, 2 likable guys, with some really impressive outter space shots. I actually think the sets are pretty damn good as well. The writing gets decidedly shitty as the movie goes on, but it has quite a few disturbing moments. I routinely forgot this is the guy who brought us the resident evil series... until the awesome credits music cued. Seriously though, this gets a bad rep, but it's a solid watch for scifi horror fans.

6/10

Ridley327

The Day of the Dead cover is a thing of beauty
(poor Rhodes!).

Too bad about that Darkman cover though.

Nice. Man, am I glad I held off watching the original. I hope they do include the theatrical cut too, just for completest sake.

It's actually going to be worthwhile to watch the theatrical cut of the film, since very, very, very little of it is in the Cabal Cut. As the director mentioned, the film is not 45 minutes longer: it's 70% different.

Sitting down to watch Re-animator and the first thing I notice:

The guy who plays Herbert West? I recognized his face from somewhere...
OH YEAH! He's Weyoun from Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
I think I'm going to enjoy this movie.

devenger

Oct 3 The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh

This was an empty movie. Some neat visuals sprinkled through, building towards nothing. I like slow builds if, you know, something is actually built. That really didn't happen. 2/10

I can't believe I'm giving it a worse score than Grave Encounters. This looked and sounded better, was better acted, and creepier than GE. But it didn't go anywhere and ended with a whimper. GE was at least a little fun before it got cheesy.

Worse than 'it was all a dream'. The entire film was a ghost imagining that the events occurred. The twist undermined what little was there.
An IMDB review said 'for mature audiences with refined tastes.' I liked Tucker and Dale much more, so maybe that's true.

The bigger discussion, why is it that horror has the toughest time sticking the landing? I think because it's easier to build tension than resolve it. A few well done creepy moments don't mean a lot to me if it doesn't pay off. And yet so many horror films start out slow, have a promising second act, and then fall apart. You really do have to watch a lot of dreck for the
gems.

Blair Witch Project:
When they're running after the tent is attacked, and you can hear something tearing branches down, my imagination kicks in. And I thought it paid off great, the last image still sticks with me.

It's actually going to be worthwhile to watch the theatrical cut of the film, since very, very, very little of it is in the Cabal Cut. As the director mentioned, the film is not 45 minutes longer: it's 70% different.

Crap. They better include it then, haha.

Sitting down to watch Re-animator and the first thing I notice:

The guy who plays Herbert West? I recognized his face from somewhere...
OH YEAH! He's Weyoun from Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
I think I'm going to enjoy this movie.

Oh man you are in for a treat.

yami4ct

October 3- Perfect Blue (Film 3)

I went into this film knowing nothing about it except it was a thriller directed by the late great Satoshi Kon. I was surprised to find one of the most compelling, terrifying and mesmerizing psychological horror films around. This is a film that so expertly and slowly builds upon its base as to draw the viewer right into the insanity of the main character.

One of the things that I noticed most about this film is how it structures its editing to really bring the viewer into the mindset of someone slowly losing it all. There's a real breaking point around the halfway point where not only is the character completely off the rails, but the editing goes from standard and easy to follow continuity editing to crazy jump cuts and no sense of time or place. It's an amazing bit of filmmaking. Through editing alone, Kon creates a really horrifying and jarring set of events that really helps keep you on edge. The way the film so drastically changes of pace should work to its detriment, yet somehow manages to hold it together and enhance the overall experience. You can really feel the hand of a master filmmaker at work.

Something that surprised me about the film is exactly how much it reminded me of other great bits of psychological horror. The entire film has a real Black Swan vibe and I couldn't help but draw comparisons throughout. Both films are about people obsessed with their craft to the point of psychological harm and it's really interesting to compare the differences in execution. While Black Swan chooses to get more and more abstract in its imagery as the character's mental state decays, here we are still attached to reality in some way. It gives each film a really interesting take on the subject.

The other film I felt strongly connected to this is Mulholland Drive. It's not really a story aspect, but more of a sense of mood and feel. Both films do a really great job of breaking you from reality. At some point, you aren't really sure what to believe. There's a real tension to having these really disjointed, horrifying events placed in front of you and both films use it to great effect.

Overall, Perfect Blue stands up with the best of them when it comes to psychological thrillers. I'm really sad I didn't take the time to see it sooner, but I'm glad I finally did get to check it out now. It really doesn't get better than this.

10/10

GhaleonEB

04 | Tales from the Hood

Crashing early tonight, so a quick review. Tales from the Hood opening credits feature a skeleton rocking sunglasses and holding a pistol whiles smoking a joint. The movie is almost as good as that implies. Fun horror anthology with a framing story that dovetails nicely into one of the stories. The horror shorts vary in quality but are all entertaining, and revolve around confronting racial issues (corrupt inner city cops, southern politicians and, um...I'll leave it at that so as to avoid spoilers). It handled the horror and racial threads both very well. Special effects didn't date well but I found it part of the charm, until the very end. Yikes.

Never scary, as it's mostly about horrible people receiving their comeuppance and so not much suspense to speak of, but consistently fun. Recommended if you like horror anthologies.

Watch list to date:

1. [REC]
  2. Re-Animator
  3. Sinister
  4. Tales from the Hood

Kintaco

I see this thread every year and I always want to try to do this, but with school and young kids its hard finding the time to squeeze in horror movies. But so far I have been doing good, even my wife is enjoying it.

Oct 1 - Motel Hell (Rewatch, but it was years ago that I watched this)
25q2lXI.jpg

Cheesy as I remembered it, but fun nonetheless. Great way to kick off 31 Days of Horror.

Oct 2 - Mountaintop Motel Massacre (First time)
5l1HWZ6.jpg

With boxart like that, how can this movie be anything but entertaining. However, the movies was awful, it dragged for about an hour, the acting was cring worthy, and the movie just plain sucked.

Oct 3 V/H/S (First time)
oaVSRzP.jpg

Caught a little bit of this on Showtime a few nights ago and thought it was worth a watch. I enjoy this type of movie, "Blairwitch type", and V/H/S was good for the most part. I didn't enjoy every "video" but the majority were enjoyable. Good way to get that crap Mountaintop Motel Massacre out of my head.

02_TombsOfTheBlindDead_zpsabc73b5f.jpg

02) Tombs of the Blind Dead/La noche del terror ciego (1972) (Oct 2)

"We're not allowed to talk about it. Old legends."

I really enjoy the Euro zombie movies from the 70s and 80s, but I never got around to seeing the Blind Dead series. I was reminded of it during last years' marathon so I grabbed the boxset off Ebay and will be going though all 4 of them this week.

First off, Tombs of the Blind Dead. I'm kind of torn on this one. It suffers from a lot of the common flaws of these kinds of movies, mainly slow pacing, minimal plot, the reliance on one natural setting to define its atmosphere and poor characterization. Some of the logic in this thing is absurd, even by standards set by the genre.

They make practically no use of the fact that the Templar zombies are blind, the whole thing with the smuggler makes absolutely no sense other than adding zombie chow and even though it's easily the best sequence in the film, the
first victim re-animating in the morgue
doesn't make any sense either considering these are not any kind of virus zombies, they're the result of a magical blood sacrifice.

But... I still kind of enjoyed it and I have no idea why. The ending was great and it has a lot of beautiful women running around so that certainly didn't hurt anything. Maybe I'm just glad that it has actual re-animated corpses rising from the grave instead of the modern infection crap we get today.

Overall, it's a decent entry into the Euro zombie scene, but I don't think I'd go as far as recommending it to anyone.

03_ReturnOfTheEvilDead_zps6629b583.jpg

03) Return of the Evil Dead/El ataque de los muertos sin ojos (1973) (1963) (Oct 3)

"They made a promise."

And then they came back... again. Well, not really. This is more of a Return of the Living Dead 2 type sequel that doesn't follow the original, but tells a different series of events following the same basic setup and reusing some of the same actors.

Return of the Evil Dead fixes most of problems I had with the original. They waste no time in getting the Templar knights resurrected, the characters are more fleshed out and enjoyable and best of all, they finally take advantage of the zombies being blind for some great scenes. The ending falls a bit flat though, especially after Tombs'. The movie itself a little too reminiscent of Night of the Living Dead too.

Even though I enjoyed it more than Tomb, I'm not sure I'd say it's the superior movie if that makes any sense. They both have their pros and cons.

One more complaint I have about both films is that they use a lot of day-for-night shots and they look terrible, obscuring most of the detail on the Templar makeup. It's made worse in the sequel by a rather lackluster transfer on the DVD. The uncut Spanish version is extremely dark. I spot checked the cut dubbed version on the same disc and the picture is much brighter and definitely looks better to my eye.

Final Viewed List:
01) The Birds (1963) (Oct 1)
02) Tombs of the Blind Dead/La noche del terror ciego (1972) (Oct 2)
03) Return of the Evil Dead/El ataque de los muertos sin ojos (1973) (1963) (Oct 3)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Watched Jeepers Creepers tonight, seen it a bunch already. Despite how it ends, I think this is a great movie. The first half is up there with my favorites.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Oct 3 The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh

This was an empty movie. Some neat visuals sprinkled through, building towards nothing. I like slow builds if, you know, something is actually built. That really didn't happen. 2/10

Slow burn, sure, but (for me) never dull and certainly lead to something. I understand it wasn't the film you were expecting, or wanted. It was marketed like a generic possession film. Truth in titling: Introspecter.

Vanessa Redgrave's narration was solid throughout, painting the picture of a haunted soul, desperate to escape her loneliness, trying to come to terms with misplaced faith. I was expecting something obvious when it came to the ending. What we got, was something riskier, resolution deferred. I bet these guys were big fans of the film Atonement.

#3 Fright Night (2011) Oct 3

For a film that positions itself as a comedy I have not had enough laughs. More like a heart-wrenching story of a scheming bitch who destroys young man's childhood and literally forces to kill his best friends
twice

A few years ago, I watched a lot of the Universal classics for the first time. I really, really enjoyed the Frankenstein series, especially The Bride of Frankenstein. It is the prototype for great sequels. I also really liked The Wolfman and The Mummy. I would put Dracula at the bottom of my list, but not because I thought it was bad or anything. The Mummy is basically a remake of Dracula and just does it all better since it was a bit more sophisticated.

The Frankenstein series is definitely tops, especially if you consider the first three. Bride of Frankenstein will always be my favorite, but I'm a huge fan of Son of Frankenstein as well. I agree with you on Dracula, outside of Lugosi it does nothing for me. Did you get to check out The Invisible Man? James Whale, who did the first two Frankenstein flicks, directed it. It's alot of fun.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
3. Audition

I was surprised by how funny and lighthearted this movie is at first. The actual audition was hilarious. I guess that's to provide a good contrast to the later terror.

Despite being somewhat spoiled on this movie by pop culture, I was surprised by how well it holds up and I think that's because of the direction. It's pretty flawless. Every single shot feels so deliberate, like when Asami is in the audition - it shows her from behind, in a wide angle. In fact for most of the early shots of her we don't even see her face. Even when her hair falls down from her right side it feels deliberate. Fantastic direction.

I won't try and question the movie but I did wonder
about how it was all revealed to him during that pseudo-dream sequence, where she gives him her backstory throughout her dates. Did that actually happen? Feels cheap if he just suddenly psychically knew all that.
Also the crazy uncle guy felt a bit ancillary.

Naturally, this movie is famous for its conclusion and it did well there. I can see why people would have been shocked, and even for me (who know what was coming) parts of it were hard to watch.

It was a good movie but a bit long (two hours) for what it was. Not something I'd rewatch every year, but if it was on TV in October I might leave it on.

Up tomorrow: The Exorcist!

Oh man you are in for a treat.
Indeed.

3. Re-animator
Must-watch. Required viewing. For god's sake fire up netflix and watch this NOW if you haven't already. This is one twisted movie that is thoroughly entertaining. I was howling with laughter through much of the third act. It's very much a product of its time though. Anyone that attempts to remake this movie would fuck it up IMO. The characters are charming enough where I found myself rooting for them despite their horrific actions, and the little touches like the security guard with the cigar in his mouth add so much. Jeffrey Combs delivers a great performance as Herbert West. As twisted as the movie gets it's surprising to point out such a thing but Combs delivers.

I loved it.

Linkhero1

My default recommendations are [REC] and Martyrs.
[REC] for a solid horror film that pulls off a confined-area shaky cam thing pretty well and Martyrs for a horror film that is purely relentless and cringe-inducing while still having a decent if slightly out-of-left-field plot.

Horror movies don't really "scare" me anymore per sé, so it's hard to think of stuff that others might find scary.

I've seen [REC]. Is [REC] 2 worth pursuing? I will look into Martyrs. :)

Exorcist.

I've seen this about a year ago. I'm still haunted by that face.

1) The Blair Witch Project- This is a movie I haven't seen since I was 14 or 15 years old. I remember liking it and it creeping me out. So naturally, I was looking forward to it. The movie has aged relatively well. The atmosphere is really well done. Especially during the night scenes. However, I will say that it can be slow and boring in some parts of the movie. The ending scene(s) were still suspenseful and creepy. I hated the ending images back then and it still hate it now. Just something unsettling about
him standing in the corner.

I give it a solid 8/10.

Good first movie to kick off my movie marathon.

This was my movie of the night, though, I didn't really enjoy it. I thought the pacing was slow and the actors were annoying most of the time. The ending was chilling but it sucked that not much happened until the ending.

haikira

*Title* = First time watching

1kguhx.jpg

01 American Mary 3.5/5
It's an interesting and fresh idea, carried by a decent lead. Despite the extreme nature of the film, I think there was also just the right amount of restraint, which aided the film. While I wouldn't say I'm an expert, I think it's probably one of the best female empowerment horror films I've seen. While the catalyst for her revenge, is the usual trope, it's how her character grows throughout the film and eventually becomes arrogant and also ignorant to the danger she's put herself in. Basically, unlike similar stuff I've watched, the whole thing doesn't just feel like an excuse to show awful things happening to a woman, then to revel in her inflicting awful justice. It's actually story and character driven.

On the negative side, I think there's some rushed character development early on and I feel like it loses a little steam later on.

02 Evil Dead (2013) 3.5/5
Above average horror, which is more content in delivering the gore than much else. Memorable characters, it doesn't have. The effects were pretty amazing though and the ending is pretty nuts, in a fun way. Not too bad, though while it's a little unfair to compare it to the originals, it very much pales compared to them.

03 Session 9 4/5
This was a solid film. Great atmosphere, interesting characters with depth and chemistry and just chilling movie which relies on psychological horror rather than cheap scares.

rogueriffers

Neo Member
If you have the anniversary edition of Rocky Horror on blu ray, it comes with both the US and UK cut. It also comes with an option where you can play it in B&W all the way up to when they start the chorus for TimeWarp. It's pretty great actually.

For Evil Dead,
after the end credits, you hear some of the original recording of the professor reading about the Necronomicon. Afterwards, you see Ash for a few seconds and he says "Groovy" ....yep, that's it, pretty lame way to try and validate this trash
Now I remember. Thanks.

Watched the second horror movie yesterday:

2. April Fool's Day (Fred Walton, 1989)

What a fun movie, especially the first part where there's not really much happening and everybody is getting to know eacht other, very funny stuff indeed. There are some original ideas when the action gets underway too. Something a little off with the ending but it seems that was indeed an issue back when the movie was made. I'll be watching Walton's When a Stranger Calls later this month.

Tonight I'm going to try and play catch-up because I didn't watch a movie on the first, here's my planned titles (can change last minute)

y6mxQsP.jpg
f4t5mxZ.jpg

So guys and gals, is Byzantium horror enough to be in scope here? Looking forward to that Ken Rusell movie a lot, as I consider The Devils a masterpiece, yet it's the only film of his that I've seen!

Ridley327

Byzantium is horror enough, I felt. It's definitely not focused on scaring you at all, but it definitely does deal with a lot of dark subject matter, and, you know, vampires and stuff.

Dascu

Byzantium is horror enough, I felt. It's definitely not focused on scaring you at all, but it definitely does deal with a lot of dark subject matter, and, you know, vampires and stuff.

And let's not forget the gorgeous Gemma Arterton.

devenger

Slow burn, sure, but (for me) never dull and certainly lead to something. I understand it wasn't the film you were expecting, or wanted.

You're right, it wasn't dull, and well acted. I was wrapped up in the 'why' of the story.

During the film, I wanted to know why he was being stalked by the beast, but not killed. Why was the stone angel coming after him, why were the creepy twin brothers coming across the lawn. But the answer to each mystery was, no real reason except she was trying to scare him into believing.
So maybe it was expectation, but that answer didn't satisfy me.

And it did lead to something, but that resolution was the main character shrugging off the experience and walking away. That almost makes the twist necessary, putting the focus on the mother's torment. Also, if she's a ghost, her faith wasn't totally misplaced. Life after death does exist, and Leon is wrong to not believe.
It really does make it a very different kind of movie, almost more of a psychological drama with supernatural elements.

So, thinking it out, you nailed it. My low rating was based on wanting more of a horror movie, which is different for everybody.

OK great... I have to mix in some recent movies because otherwise my wife complains we're only watching old stuff, but I have a hard time diggin up decent modern horror titles that I haven't seen yet.

BlackJace

CitwTeaserSmall.jpg

2. The Cabin in the Woods

Movie took awhile for me to get into it. But once it did, it was quite enjoyable. I had such a huge grin on my face when the characters fit perfectly into the stereotypical roles of slasher films. This movie completely deconstructs all other movies flawlessly. The humor is dark, and the gore is front and center.

What I liked the most about The Cabin in the Woods is that it feels like a celebration of horror films. Would watch again.

7/10

#3 Kill List (2012)
6800722500_544e7fa5c4.jpg

- So got hyped to see this because of all the positive word of mouth, but really huge meh for me. It has some interesting ideas but it really felt dragged out with a payoff that really wasn't as shocking as some kept saying. Saw it a mile away. Movie kinda reminded me of a modern Wicker Man? I think the movie seriously lacked playing up it's final act, instead it kinda just happens and it's like.... really? The concept is great but poorly executed. With the Wickerman you had a sense of shit was wrong and there was a creep factor that consistently grew, here it just languishes a bit in the first half with nothing but melodrama.

kaiju

Day 3: I Spit On Your Grave 2 (2013)

I-spit-on-your-grave-2-poster-01.jpg

This sequel to the 2010 remake introduces a new rape and revenge tale, this time focusing on aspiring model Katie, who answers an ad that advertises free photos. She meets three brothers from Bulgaria, and her troubles begin after she refuses to let them take pictures of her topless.

This movie is pretty fucked up. Where the 2010 version had it's moments, they seem to go way over the top in this one. Just when you think they've gone too far...they go further, and then even further. It was way too traumatic for my tastes, and the ending didn't really make up for all of the agony that had been caused. This is a deeply disturbing movie that depicts a girl getting abused in the worst ways possible, so take this as a warning.

Booser

OCT 3rd - Black Death (2010)

Sean Bean puts in a great performance as a knight charged by the bishop into investigating a small village which is seemingly immune to the black death. Well actually the main character in the film is a young monk torn between his faith and a woman. I know that particular storyline has been done to death but it's done very well here. That applies to the rest of the film too. In a way it reminded me a little of Nicolas Cage's Season of the Witch except this is actually pretty good.

The central theme of belief is handled well, it contains some moderately shocking scenes and contains a nice twist. It's definately not a happy ever after story, probably more dark fantasy really then horror but still hightly recommended.

MOx46mD.jpg

Another highly regarded classic from Universal and ranked up there with Dracula (1931). Although I highly disagree. Not really a horror movie in my book but Karloff is great as Im-ho-tep and I really liked the atmosphere.

6/10

OCT 3rd - Black Death (2010)

Sean Bean puts in a great performance as a knight charged by the bishop into investigating a small village which is seemingly immune to the black death. Well actually the main character in the film is a young monk torn between his faith and a woman. I know that particular storyline has been done to death but it's done very well here. That applies to the rest of the film too. In a way it reminded me a little of Nicolas Cage's Season of the Witch except this is actually pretty good.

The central theme of belief is handled well, it contains some moderately shocking scenes and contains a nice twist. It's definately not a happy ever after story, probably more dark fantasy really then horror but still hightly recommended.
yeah there's really no horror to be found in Black Death. i ended up watching it after a marathon session of dark souls and wanted to watch something in a similar vein. enjoyable if not a little forgettable.

aFIGurANT

#3 Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Tucker-and-dale-vs-evil.jpg

I watched this one after a recommendation from some friends and they were dead right: Tucker and Dale is a laugh-out-loud parody film that focuses more on relationships and self-esteem than anything. Or at least on the same level as it does on gory kills and horror-tropes. You end up cheering for the titular rednecks by the time they get their first full scene together and set the traditional cabin-horror events in motion and don't look back even through some of the most absurd turns of events I've seen.

It pulls no punches on making its characters charicatures of what you'd find in films like The Hills Have Eyes or Texas Chainsaw Massacre and you love it because of this. Much like Cabin in the Woods, a film that feels almost like a more cerebral sequel to T&D, each character exists only as long as we want them to before meeting their demise, and the conclusion definitely leaves you with just the right mix of people to care for and to dislike. Plenty of good references abound here to make this one worth watching in October, a month typically associated with the sorts of vapid popcorn horror that this film pokes gentle fun at.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
#3 Fright Night (2011) Oct 3

For a film that positions itself as a comedy I have not had enough laughs. More like a heart-wrenching story of a scheming bitch who destroys young man's childhood and literally forces to kill his best friends
twice

This is funny. I thought the exact same thing when I was watching it. It's not a story about a kid who has a vampire move in next door. It's about a teenage boy who's dating a succubus.

Sequel spoilers (just the very beginning of the movie):
She dumps him shortly after the first movie ends.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
#3 Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
tucker-and-dale-vs-evil-logo.jpg

I watched this one after a recommendation from some friends and they were dead right: Tucker and Dale is a laugh-out-loud parody film that focuses more on relationships and self-esteem than anything. Or at least on the same level as it does on gory kills and horror-tropes. You end up cheering for the titular rednecks by the time they get their first full scene together and set the traditional cabin-horror events in motion and don't look back even through some of the most absurd turns of events I've seen.

It pulls no punches on making its characters charicatures of what you'd find in films like The Hills Have Eyes or Texas Chainsaw Massacre and you love it because of this. Much like Cabin in the Woods, a film that feels almost like a more cerebral sequel to T&D, each character exists only as long as we want them to before meeting their demise, and the conclusion definitely leaves you with just the right mix of people to care for and to dislike. Plenty of good references abound here to make this one worth watching in October, a month typically associated with the sorts of vapid popcorn horror that this film pokes gentle fun at.

I fucking loved T&D. It was such a refreshing take on the horror genre for me. Totally agree that you love them and will root for them from the start. Especially Dale. Well worth the hype and praise it receives.

JAGII

Neo Member
Saw this movie yesterday:

odWAhSi.jpg

Another fantastic performance by Christopher Lee, but the movie itself is kinda dated.

It is dated, for sure, but I caught it on TCM last year and really loved it. There's a different sort of dread when a satanic cult is involved, and I wish we would get more movies like that.

aFIGurANT

^^^

You should watch House of the Devil - nice creepy satanic cult and tons of tension. It reminds you of classic Hitchcock type suspense with a modern touch. I think I gave it like 8/10 on IMDB, fwiw.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Watched Jeepers Creepers tonight, seen it a bunch already. Despite how it ends, I think this is a great movie. The first half is up there with my favorites.

First half of the movie is one of my top 5 horror movies from the past 10 years.
Second half of the movie is in probably my bottom 20 horror movies of all times.

Point in the film this change takes place?
about the 4th or 5th time he gets run over by the car.

carrie+poster.jpg

3. Carrie (1976) (Netflix)

An ugly thought occurred to me last night during Carrie's roaring rampage of violence: is it possible that there are people who simply cannot be integrated into general modern society? Is it possible that society is not capable of being as inclusive as the liberal ideal of a society could be? Would bullying then be perceived as society's self defense mechanism, an unconscious effort to drive away those who do not belong and might actually pose a danger to society? If Carrie, for example, had remained sheltered and isolated from the world, would her anger have expressed itself so catastrophically? Isn't that the idea of prison: some people pose such a threat to society that they have to be removed and isolated so the rest of the social organism can live?

On the other hand, if Carrie and her mother, Margaret, had been more fully integrated into society, would Carrie have been able to deal with her unique condition without becoming a danger to herself and others? If Carrie had been educated about menstruation, she wouldn't have freaked out in the shower. If she hadn't freaked out, the girls wouldn't have had that particular opportunity to bully her (although I'm fairly certain the girls would have maintained their previous low level of harassment). Sue wouldn't have felt obligated to set Carrie up with her boyfriend; Chris wouldn't have felt a need to destroy Carrie. The inciting incident of Carrie's roaring rampage of violence might not have happened, and casualties would have been avoided.

I also wondered how well Carrie would translate to 2013. There are still homogeneous small towns that will shun anyone they consider the Other in America. But would Carrie's mother have hesitated to sue the school for the harassment her daughter receives at school? Or would Carrie's mother still think the government is a godless, corrupt institution that should be avoided? And there's no way that this year's remake will replicate Brian de Palma's version, if only because of the age difference between Sissy Spacek, who was in her late 20s during filming, and Chloe Grace Moretz, who's 16.

The film captures a parent's fears and a child's fears very well. It effectively portrays through Margaret the fear of loneliness once the child is old enough to become independent and a parent's fear that a child will grow up to be someone he or she doesn't recognize. If you approach parenthood from the perspective of control, it also shows a parent's fear that the child becomes someone uncontrollable. Through Carrie's perspective, it shows the child's fear of a parent who hates the child for simply existing, the fear of an insurmountable distance between parent and child, and the fear of rejection by his or her peers.

And because it's a Brian de Palma film, it had the touches that would become de Palma trademarks, like the use of split screen, the homage to Psycho by using the Psycho strings throughout the film. This is the first film of this year's marathon that I can describe as "great" without hesitation.

First half of the movie is one of my top 5 horror movies from the past 10 years.
Second half of the movie is in probably my bottom 20 horror movies of all times.

Point in the film this change takes place?
about the 4th or 5th time he gets run over by the car.

I loved the 2nd half and it's what made the movie stand out to me instead of being typical monster chasing teens film. They were having fun and it showed

Top Bottom