• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

[
Film is an uninspired piece of shit. Horrid/almost non-existant dialog over a film that is barely stitched together in-between the scenes where it just wants to fuck up the cast as much as possible. A cast, mind you, that you will be either completely indifferent to at best, or ready to see killed off asap at worst.
I really wanted to give this movie a chance. I made it a mandate it go in and not regard the original. It really wasn't that hard. The problem with this one is that it's just a bad horror film.
The only compliment I could give it is how the folks were insistent with use practical effects. It had a fairly low budget but doesn't necessarily look it. If anything, the look of the film reminded me of the Texas Chainsaw remake from Marcus Nispel.... which ain't a good thing.
Can't Believe Raimi and Campbell supported this and don't get me started on that after credits bit.

3/10

You sir, have horrible taste.

Good day!

D4XJckc.png

Rewatch.
Don't think I've watched it since it came out, but it holds up well. Now to see the remake which I'm expecting to be pointless, but I'll try to keep an open mind. 3/3

grim0451

Neo Member
3. The Awakening

Not a bad ghost story, held up by a solid lead in the main actress. Don't really have much to say about this one as well i enjoyed it I wasn't left with any lasting impression. Had some good scenes and features both Bran Stark and Jimmy Mcnulty so that was a bonus. It's on netflix so if you need some movies off there you can definitely do worse.

Overall: 6

4. Black Death

As someone else noted not much of a horror movie, yet being that I enjoy the time period this movie is set in it managed to hold my attention throughout. Sean Bean's character along with the Monk make up the most interesting parts of this movie, but it lacks a certain intensity in key parts to really push it over the edge for me. I guess to compare it something I would say Valhalla Rising does in part what I wish this movie had.

Overall: 6.5 A bonus .5 for featuring Plague Doctor masks, if only briefly.

My first movie of October, so I'm a little behind but I have a week off around Halloween so I'll catch up.

mBvLlFq.jpg

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
One of my favorite horror movies and a unique twist on the slasher genre. There is not a ton of kills in this one but the ones here are definitely unique. The mom's death and Johnny Depp's both scared the crap out of me as a kid. Wes Craven does horror right.

day 04. movie 03. lords of salem
salemwfuuo.gif

i'm still not entirely sure what rob zombie is waiting for to make another movie like house of 1000 corpses. knowing what i know about the man, his tastes, his music, and the films he has made, none of them to date has matched the perfect blend of 70's grindhouse, carnival freakshow visuals, and 1950s z-grade horror/sci-fi shlock that his debut did.

lords of salem feels like his attempt at crafting a "genuine" horror film. almost all of the aspects that (for me) define a rob zombie film are toned down or refined to a more realistic portrayal here. you still have the 70s progressive rock, cameos by horror film stars of the past, snippets of black and white movies you've probably never seen before, Satanic imagery, and of course sheri moon zombie doing her bohemian fashionista routine (for the record i think she's absolutely stunning); except almost of it never really "goes there" the way 'house' or even 'devils rejects' did in some fashions. there's a lack of personality in the characters and the story of this film that i felt disappointed by.

when the film was showing me something i felt was honestly interesting or shocking, the fact that i didn't really care about the proceedings kept me from really enjoying it; as though i was watching a really high-production music video for a terribly boring song.

where the personality seems to have been put is into the look of the film itself. it's rife with beautiful shots of stylish interiors, dusky street corners of modern colonial America, and several scenes in a sort of 'tableau' as though built for a theatrical production. many of zombie's static or slow-panning shots were very obviously inspired by the more "artistic" horror films of the 70s and the harshly-lit scenes of Salem, MA being punctuated by lavishly designed setpieces really reminded me of kubrick's films. it really is a good looking movie.

the plot itself is an interesting set up and has hooks into things that i've been fascinated by for years (obscure music, hidden messages, the Salem witch trials) but again, none of it really "goes there" and the imagery in the film's final insane montage feels like a last-minute attempt to reinforce all the weird cultural fringe tie-ins that the film sets up in it's opening act, but are essentially dropped for most of the proceedings. owing to the fact that she is the central character and the one with any honest depth, sheri moon zombie carries the bulk of this film. seeing her act more "normal" was a nice change of pace, and for the most part, i really enjoyed her performance. it's sad that as things start coming to a head as the film wears on, that her part in it essentially devolves into looking like shit while other characters 'do things' around her.

i suppose i should mention the soundtrack given the history of the director. it was good, suitably "grimy" low frequency synths and the key macgufifn piece of music in the plot was appropriately kind of off-putting. a few too many cheap jump scare "stabs" though.

★★★☆☆
good for: cinematography, stylish set pieces, interesting Satanic imagery, sheri moon zombie doing her thang
bad for: real scares, developed characters, compelling story

xUBRzQM.png

Utterly pointless Americanized remake where every change is for the worse. On the positive side, it makes me appreciate how well established, yet still subtle, everything in the original is. 1/3

Gameboy415

10/01 - 1. The Relic (Blu-Ray)
10/02 - 2. Ghoulies (Netflix)
10/03 - 3. Nightmares (1983) (YouTube)
10/04 - 4. The Amityville Horror (2005) (DVD)

10/05 - 5. Battledogs (Netflix)
battledogs.jpg

-A Seth Rogen look-a-like, Winston from Ghostbusters, & 2 blondes team-up to cure an outbreak of the "lupine virus" in NYC and to stop the Allstate guy from turning the pack of werewolves into military weapons. Yep.

Damn, I thought I saw someone post about a zombie film that had two brothers in it, they carried baseball bats on the cover? Can't seem to find it anymore :(.

Ah found it! It was /edit: the battery

xUBRzQM.png

Utterly pointless Americanized remake where every change is for the worse. On the positive side, it makes me appreciate how well established, yet still subtle, everything in the original is. 1/3

the
gender of the girl
is more definitive in the remake right? that change disappointed me when i heard about it.

5th October

Film number 8: Seconds Apart
Tagline: Two times the terror

Opening thoughts: Bet it’s not as good as Twins of Evil

p4IQjh6.png

Closing thoughts: Better than I was expecting. The story of telekinetic twin brothers using their spooky powers for nefarious ends played out pretty much how I knew it was going to after the first ten minutes, but the characters were engaging and well acted, and the cinematography was great. Very little gore, no real scares, and definitely not as good as Twins of Evil, but fun nonetheless.

Score: 6 out of 10. I’m off to google if guinea worms are really a thing. EDIT: Shit. Shouldn’t have looked them up, especially not just before dinner. Grim.

Film number 9: The Awakening
Tagline: A time for ghosts

Opening thoughts: This is a ghostly period drama made by BBC Films, starring the fantastic Rebecca Hall. Also Jimmy McNulty, Professor Umbridge, and Bran from GoT.

VApcJRa.png

Closing thoughts: I could watch this kind of thing all day long. It’s the story of a paranormal investigator looking into spooky goings on at an English boarding school in 1921. It’s brilliantly written and beautifully shot and the acting is fantastic. It’s never really scary, but it’s very intriguing and it doesn’t end up quite where you expect it to.

Score: 8 out of 10. My cousins went to a boarding school that looked just like the one in the film. They used to say it was haunted too, but only to wind my aunt up,

Film number 10: When The Lights Went Out
Tagline: Based on a true story...

Opening thoughts: A poltergeist film set in Yorkshire in 1974. Looking forward to seeing some gruesome, geometric patterned wallpaper in this movie.

vVEr6TZ.png

Closing thoughts: This film is creepy. Very bloody creepy. So bloody creepy that I’ll forgive the makers for the satellite dish left up on the side of one of the houses and the dodgy CGI bees. Based on the ‘true’ story of the ‘most violent haunting in European history’, the film is as much about the friendship between two misfit girls in their early teens as it is about the brutal haunting one of them is the centre of. And if like me you were a child in the UK in the 1970s the film is a fantastic nostalgiafest from start to finish.

Score: 8 out of 10 Wazpants! What’s that spacca doing here? She smells of piss. Also, Kerplunk, Buckaroo and a very scary slinky.

Watched so far
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)

5. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2010)
tucker74ovl.gif

Fantastic, such a great refreshing satire on cabin in the woods horror. The duo of the film are extremely likable and easy to cheer for. The film is mostly dependent on humor and gore but it never feels forced or excessive. Great film, highly recommended.

matt360

#5 - OCTOBER 5 - Silent Hill Revelation 3D
z4Vq7xO.jpg

Maybe this shows how easy I am to please, but I didn't hate this movie. There were definitely a lot of bad decisions made when making this movie, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching it. In fact, I kinda wish it was about 20 minutes longer.

First I'll say what I thought worked in the film. I liked the cast. The girl who played Heather was perfect, and Sean Bean is always nice to see. Half of the cast trying their hardest to pull off American accents was pretty hilarious, but to me, added some charm to the movie and didn't detract from anything. I also thought the pacing was pretty good, and most of the effects were done well, aside from the
mannequin monster's head scream thing

I felt like this movie almost could have been PG-13 (perhaps it was?) and I thought that was pretty disappointing. There was nothing in this movie that was nearly as badass as the finale of the first movie. Even though there were plenty of monsters, I feel like they were all underutilized. The ending was also pretty bad, with the final encounter being anticlimactic and not really making much sense. Overall though, it was still the easiest story to follow from any Silent Hill property. 6/10

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
4. The Exorcist

There isn't much to be said about this movie since it's a classic, so I'll just sum up my thoughts:

Great movie, much less scary after decades of parodies, acting and special effects still hold up, amazing music/theme, stupid ending.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1)The Blair Witch Project
2) Halloween (remake)
3) The Crazies

4) The Collector: I picked this movie at random, not knowing much about it. Although, I think I have read good stuff about it in the past. This was a fantastic film. The acting is a bit spotty, but you will forget about it because this will have you on the edge of your seat. It is more of a torture/slasher type of movie instead of jump scares. There will be lots of gore and blood.

I don't really want to go into detail since I think it is better going into this blind. Really enjoyed the movie. 9.5/10

04_TheGhostGalleon_zps0b4549dd.jpg

04) The Ghost Galleon/El buque maldito (1974) (Oct 4)

"I'm not going to miss a chance to see the haunted ship."

And now on to the 3rd entry into the Blind Dead series, though with this and the next sequel they seemed to have dropped the blind aspect of the zombies since it's neither mentioned in the titles or the films themselves.

Stupid decisions by characters in horror movies is obviously not a rare trait, but the characters in this one have got to be the stupidest group of people ever collected on film. The lack of logic in this thing is astounding. From the beginning publicity stunt that puts two scantily clad models alone out at sea to everything that follows it's just one big, moronic nightmare.

While the previous two films weren't hugely gory (at least compared to other 70s zombie flicks) this one is practically barren of gore. Other than one admittedly graphic
dismemberment
scene, there's nothing to speak of. No nudity either which seems weird considering this a series about zombies slowly chasing nubile young women around.

I'm hardly an expert on Spain's history, but my understanding is that they were under pretty strict government censorship at the time which may explain why this one is lacking everything you'd expect from the series. Much of the risque content (mainly the nudity) was filmed and inserted for exported versions of the films and this one does not seem to have been that lucky.

It also doesn't have the benefit of the beautiful locations used in the previous films to build atmosphere as it's mostly shot in tiny little ship sets that are too small to have any real impact. Yet another horrible DVD transfer (probably the worst of the bunch) and some laughably bad miniature work round this one off. By far the worst of the series.

05_NightOfTheSeagulls_zpsa1b71de3.jpg

05) Night of the Seagulls/La Noche de las gaviotas (1975) (Oct 5)

"It seems absurd, but there's something strange about all this."

Thankfully, the fourth in the Blind Dead series is a huge improvement over the third movie. It's still a little light on the gore, but it has some graphic sacrifice scenes and stabbings here and there. It's also one that had a little nudity filmed for export versions (which is the version included on the Blue Underground DVD).

This one plays out more like a mystery movie where an outsider doctor and his wife move to a small town to replace the current doctor who has transferred to another town. Upon entering the town they are basically ignored and told to leave by the locals and soon discover that everything is not as it should be in this sleepy little town.

Unfortunately, the mystery of what's going on is only hidden from the doctor and his wife, not from us, the viewers. Personally I would have liked if it played out more like a straight up mystery and we had to discover it along with the characters, but they waste no time showing us the Templar zombies and it's painfully obvious what's going on, even if you haven't seen the previous movies in the series.

Still, it's a decent entry into the Euro zombie scene and the Templar zombies look as awesome as always.

Overall, out of the Blind Dead series I'd say 1, 2 and 4 are worth checking out if you don't mind the slow pace and minimal... well, minimal everything. There isn't much in 3 that's worth going out of your way to see. Man, they sure did get a lot of mileage out of the footage of zombies rising from their grave and the score from the original movie.

Final Viewed List:
01) The Birds (1963) (Oct 1)
02) Tombs of the Blind Dead/La noche del terror ciego (1972) (Oct 2)
03) Return of the Evil Dead/El ataque de los muertos sin ojos (1973) (1963) (Oct 3)
04) The Ghost Galleon/El buque maldito (1974) (Oct 4)
05) Night of the Seagulls/La Noche de las gaviotas (1975) (Oct 5)

1)The Blair Witch Project
2) Halloween (remake)
3) The Crazies

4) The Collector: I picked this movie at random, not knowing much about it. Although, I think I have read good stuff about it in the past. This was a fantastic film. The acting is a bit spotty, but you will forget about it because this will have you on the edge of your seat. It is more of a torture/slasher type of movie instead of jump scares. There will be lots of gore and blood.

I don't really want to go into detail since I think it is better going into this blind. Really enjoyed the movie. 9.5/10

I really enjoyed the Collector too. Such an awesome use of music in that one. Just avoid the sequel.

Ridley327

WEEK ONE - THE NEW BLOOD
October 5

In a weird way, Stake Land might be one of the most literary vampire films out there, and it's not even based on a book. Rather than offering a nice, tidy plot structure, filled with characters that proudly state their function to the story, the film offers up a sprawling look at a world after a vampire epidemic all but consumes it, and for a while, it's not interested in rushing to any kind of finish line, or obeying some kind of dramatic event quota that hurls our characters all over the place. For a while, at least.

Our hero, Martin (Connor Paolo), has seen way too much for his years: his family, brutally slaughtered before his very eyes; his remaining innocence taken away from him when the man who saves him, a vampire hunter known only as Mister (Nick Damici), has him deliver the final blows to that foul creature; his entire world gone, when he finds out that the United States he once called home is no more. As they travel north to a rechristened Canada, now dubbed New Eden, Martin and Mister meet several people along their journey, some of them good, some of them no good at all. Director Jim Mickle does a terrific job of allowing for the world itself tell a story, letting your imagination fill in the margins of how all of the bit players go about their lives, rather than having them come along and outright tell you. It's a brilliantly lived-in world that Martin and Mister are traveling across, and one that doesn't go too overboard with the apocalypse part of the post-apocalypse equation: society still exists, but it's just a lot less chipper. Even the requisite human villains are just another bump in the road, ones that provide more of a temporary hindrance than some sweeping, swelling menace that bags our heroes and their companions meet at the end of their journey, leading to a grand showdown. While the lives of the characters aren't anything envious, you want to spend a lot of time with them.

If only the movie felt the same way about that, as some kind of emergency plot switch gets flipped about an hour into the film, and it's suddenly barreling through events and characters like a bat out of hell. The deliberate, measured pacing is all but obliterated, and a terrible decision to give the film a villain it didn't need swoops on in and takes no prisoners, establishing dramatic arcs that it will never resolve with anything more than subpar satisfaction. Scenes aren't given enough room to breathe when transitioning from one another, giving off a disjointed feeling that the film was so eager to avoid early on. I don't know what happened, if there was just not enough budget to pull everything off, or Mickle's reach extended well beyond his grasp, but it's so disappointing to see a film like this trying to be something it was avoiding for much of its screentime.

It tries hard, though. Even as it feels like the film could have stood have another half-hour or so, the scenes themselves that are in desperate need of more breathing room still work well, and few are as commendable as the film's final scene. In it, both Martin and Mister finally find what they're looking for on their journey, and the film sees them off in a remarkably satisfying way. You actually do forget for a bit just how frustrating that scene feels in context of what came immediately before it, simply because of how well it reminds you of what the film was like before pesky things like exposition and events got in the way. It's a great film that decided to be just good, only to remind you of that earlier greatness. Man, what a film that could have been.

SANITY CHECK: With the first week at an end, I couldn't find myself happier with the pacing of the schedule. Outside of a slight misstep that resulted in a mandatory rewatch the following day, I have to say that I've done well for myself with how well things have been going, and I've already stumbled onto what might be a potential longtime favorite in The Battery. Everything is coming up Milhouse so far, and just in time, too, for week two's focus on coming-of-age horror films is sure to be one of the most diverse weeks of the month.

October 6 preview: And to kick that week off, we have a film that was also released in this decade. When their father dies unexpectedly, two young girls have to cope with their grief, but also cope with the hunger that now requires a new hunter in the family to step up and help satiate their horrific needs in We Are What We Are.

Work being what it is i haven't been able to watch anything til today. Went on a bit of a binge and caught up.

I took notes on my phone as i watched so I'll post em here.

31 days of horror
1.Bucks County Massacre
C- takes too long to get going, acting is worse than typical for genre (found footage) which made the wait worse. Climax sequence fine if unsatisfying

2. 7 Nights of darkness
B- enjoyable, above avg acting. Some intense sequences. Comparable to Grave Encounters, which I'm starting to see as a sub genre within a sub genre (wannabe tv paranormal investigators see some real shit) and consider GE the best of the bunch.

3. The terror Factor
C Interesting 80's slasher" throw back" with fake film grain and all. Good opening. Meh overall. terrible acting, of course but i've seen worse from even classic slashers.

4. Puppet Master
B classic b-movie, always enjoy watching it

5. The Crying Dead
C acting is believable, which is important for found footage. some creepy shots. Lacks any punch to what's happening. Wanted to like it more than i did but instead feel like a missed opportunity.

6.Aaron's House.
D terribly boring. Zoned out a bunch and remember nothing.

GhaleonEB

#06 | Attack of the Crab Monsters

Crab_Monsters_zpsf95f4c67.jpg

Roger Corman. Those words alone should tell you about what you're in for.

A remarkably inept science team arrives at a remote island, to continue research on the ways heavy atomic fallout affects plant and animal life in the area (hey, it was 1957, it seemed like a good idea at the time). A few clues pop up early that things may be amiss on the island. There's the mysterious total disappearance of the previous expedition team. There's the way one of the crew fell off a boat when landing on the island and is pulled back up missing his head. The way the island is slowly collapsing, forming tunnels and seemingly beset with explosions in the night. The total lack of animals other than seagulls....and crabs.

If only they knew the title of the movie they were starring in, the mystery unfolds over the first half of the film would have been solved early - the atomic fallout has created a pack of giant, nearly indestructible telepathic crabs. Yes, they're telepathic. Because atoms and things.

The technobabble is pretty hilarious, the actors are dutiful if bland, the script inane and the effects cheap even for the time.

It was a bite sized morsel at 62 minutes long, and I loved every one of them. No where near the quality of classics in the giant critter genre (Them!, Tarantula, The Praying Mantis, etc.) it's well into so-bad-it's-good territory.

Going to go with something a bit more substantial tomorrow, but this was a fun break from the more recent horror films in my queue. I'm going to have to cycle a few other oldies into the mix this year.

yami4ct

October 5-Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (Film 5)

What an amazingly fun little film. Just a great twist on the cabin in the woods genre. Tucker and Dale are such fun characters to watch and just super easy to cheer for. It even has a few great little emotional beats. The best part is how the downfall of the group of kids is entirely their own doing. I love that they didn't
put any blood directly on Tucker and Dale's hands, even the final fight
. I also have to hand it to the guy that played the leader of the college kids. He's one of the most detestable, awful pieces of shit put to film in quite some time.

If I had a couple minor complaints, the first would be the kills weren't exactly very interesting. They had a lot of good ideas to play with, but the kills sort of feel thrown together in ways that aren't so interesting. Also, the biggest problem is the film kind of drags in the middle and looses a lot of its great momentum. Thankfully, it picks back up at the end and makes an overall super enjoyable watch.

9/10

GhaleonEB

The crabs actually have that expression in the movie too. The eyes only open that far because the lids are basically a tarp that only pulled up that high. :lol

Seeing lots of love for Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, saw it's on Netflix instant. Just tossed it on the queue for next week.

yami4ct

#06 | Attack of the Crab Monsters

[IG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Crab_Monsters_zpsf95f4c67.jpg[/IMG]

Roger Corman. Those words alone should tell you about what you're in for.

A remarkably inept science team arrives at a remote island, to continue research on the ways heavy atomic fallout affects plant and animal life in the area (hey, it was 1957, it seemed like a good idea at the time). A few clues pop up early that things may be amiss on the island. There's the mysterious total disappearance of the previous expedition team. There's the way one of the crew fell off a boat when landing on the island and is pulled back up missing his head. The way the island is slowly collapsing, forming tunnels and seemingly beset with explosions in the night. The total lack of animals other than seagulls....and crabs.

If only they knew the title of the movie they were starring in, the mystery unfolds over the first half of the film would have been solved early - the atomic fallout has created a pack of giant, nearly indestructible telepathic crabs. Yes, they're telepathic. Because atoms and things.

The technobabble is pretty hilarious, the actors are dutiful if bland, the script inane and the effects cheap even for the time.

It was a bite sized morsel at 62 minutes long, and I loved every one of them. No where near the quality of classics in the giant critter genre (Them!, Tarantula, The Praying Mantis, etc.) it's well into so-bad-it's-good territory.

Going to go with something a bit more substantial tomorrow, but this was a fun break from the more recent horror films in my queue. I'm going to have to cycle a few other oldies into the mix this year.

This is clearly a film I must watch. Definitely going to try and throw this in when things get a bit tricker during the middle of the month.

devenger

Oct 5: Sinister - The good, decently creepy at times, low key in the right places, and overall good structure. The bad, so many telegraphed jump scares, a not too scary antagonist (but as someone else said, not overexposed), and a very predictable finish. 5/10

5. The Stuff
It's like The Blob...but you eat it? Yeah whatever. "The Stuff" has no calories, tastes great, and it's taking America by storm. Problem is it will eventually devour your insides and leave you an empty shell. Most of the movie follows the exploits of a spy infiltrating the company that distributes The Stuff. Michael Moriarty turns in a fine performance, which keeps the investigative side of the plot interesting. There are surprisingly few kills but they're gruesome enough and well-done.

Aside from some uneven pacing towards the end, I think this is a pretty solid b-movie.

Day 3
ov2.gif

"Trust me."

I'm deliberately keeping the story elements out of this write up. I went into this movie blind and if you haven't seen it you should do the same.

Synopsis: A brilliant plastic surgeon attempts to restore the face of his daughter who was mutilated in an automobile accident. He feels responsible for the accident and due to his guilt will cross any line to accomplish his goal.

"Blank, pale, emotionless face." No I'm not talking about Michael Myers. Her name is Christiane Génessier and John Carpenter has said he was inspired by this film when creating Myers' iconic mask. Georges Franju, who directed the film, has stated that he never considered the film to be a horror story, but instead felt it was tale of "anguish." Don't let that fool you though, the creep factor is high with this one. The actress playing Christiane does a great job with the role where most of her acting is from her eyes and body language. She doesn't just walk, she floats. The subtle stillness of her arms and movement made me uneasy at times, but it's the little details like these that creep me out in horror pictures. The musical score reminded me of something I would hear at a fair or parade, but it works great when mixed with the gorgeous cinematography of the film . This is a very good movie which shows some vile things in a very beautiful way.

Ending spoilers for those who have seen it:
I love the shot where she is floating in the woods accompanied by birds, who are just as free as she is.

8.5/10

6g9.gif

kaiju

Day 5: The Gate II: Trespassers (1990)

s4t2qu.jpg

The first Gate movie had a hardcore feel to it, like fuck the ghosts, we've got demons and the fires of Hell itself under your house buddy! I had never seen the sequel largely in part because the DVD is OOP and hard to find. My buddy lent me his VHS copy and I dusted off the VHS machine tonight.

Gate II continues with the story of Terry, the neighbor that brought a heavy metal album over to Glen's house in the first movie and used it's lyrics to fight off hell on earth. With his Mom dead and his Dad fallen to alcoholism, Terry decides to break into Glen's old house with the sole purpose of summoning demons to try and help his Dad out of his slump. He is joined by some other kids that have also broken in on the same night, and eventually he captures a wish-granting Minion (those small little demon guys) and keeps it as a pet. Havoc ensues.

This movie was pretty meh. Made no sense to me that Terry would want to summon demons to try to help his Dad, and the other actors were laughably bad. There are a lot of stupid quotes ("Who needs girls?, when you got demons!") that would make for a decent MST3K viewing party. You get to see what The Gate looks like on the other side, which was cool, but that's about it.

Having my dorm floor participate in this, which has been successful thus far. Not sure how long we can keep it up with Midterms being here and all.

Linkhero1

My movie last night was Drag Me To Hell. It was interesting but the CGI and green screen kind of killed it for me. The story was also predictable and the main actor was kind of annoying. Sort of surprised that it has a reasonable high RT score.

the
gender of the girl
is more definitive in the remake right? that change disappointed me when i heard about it.

Yeah,
Abby's definitely a girl
in the remake. After all, we can't have
a 12-year old boy fall in love with another boy, that's icky! She still says "I'm not a girl", though, but that seems to refer only to her being a vampire
, which is kinda confusing. And we certainly can't have hints at
pedophilia
(or explicit mentions of it as in the book)!

#5 Cast a Deadly Spell (1991) Oct 5

Quote from the cover describes movie spot on - I was thinking about Roger Rabbit while watching. Nice mixture of detective and horror with accent on the detective part. Could do better with a bit more magic for my taste, but guess budget was not big enough. Kicking gargoyle in balls without breaking a leg and thus making an escape made me chuckle.

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 5 - Werewolf of London (1935)

Werewolfoflondon.jpg

Werewolf of London (1935) - This is Universal's first attempt at a Werewolf tale, produced hot on the successes of Dracula, The Mummy and Frankenstein. Though technically the second werewolf movie ever made, it's only cinematic predecesor - 1918's 18 minute short, The Werewolf - was lost when the only known copies of the film were consumed by fire in 1924. Thus, The Werewolf of London is the oldest surviving werewolf film, and Hollywood's first full length werewolf movie, and as such precedes much of the European lore and creative additions popularized by Curt Siodmak in his script for The Wolf Man six years later, making it seem surprisingly off-beat in some ways. Here, Dr. Wilfred Glendan, world famous botanist, contracts "Lycanthropobia" when he is bitten by a furred and fanged Dr. Yogami while on a field trip in Tibet. Returning home to London with the treasured object of his Tibetan expedition - the Mariphasia, a flower that blooms only under the influence of the full moon - Glendan is warned by Yogami's human form ("We met once, only briefly, and at night.") that he will transform into a beast and prowl the night, compelled to seek out and kill the one he loves the most. This werewolf is a decidedly more thoughtful fiend than lycanthropes would come to be, pausing to don hat, scarf and coat before going out into the London night (despite a full coat of fur!), releasing the wolves in the London zoo to throw the police of his trail, and even speaking through Jack Pierce's makeup (a decidedly more sedate version the werewolf guise than the '43 Curt Siodmak-scripted film would require). Though not nearly so effective as The Wolf Man would prove, it does have a certain period charm, with a variety of expected ancilary characters on parade through an otherwise rather staid plot, but Henry Hull's portayal of the man afflicted by "werewolfery" lacks the tragic sweep of Lon Chaney's performance.

The tragic stories so far:
  1. Oct 1. Bad Moon (1996)
  2. Oct 2. Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (2012)
  3. Oct 3. I Was A Teenage Werewolf (1957)
  4. Oct 4. The Beast Must Die (1974)
  5. Oct 5. Werewolf of London (1935)

Do we have any resident giallo experts around? I'm looking for opinions on if the English dubbed track or the Italian dubbed track is the superior way to watch the following:

- Blood and Black Lace/Sei donne per l'assassino (1964)
- The Bird with the Crystal Plumage/L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (1970)
- A Lizard in a Woman's Skin/Una lucertola con la pelle di donna (1971)
- What Have You Done to Solange?/Cosa avete fatto a Solange (1972)
- Don't Torture a Duckling/Non si sevizia un paperino (1972)
- Watch Me When I Kill/Il gatto dagli occhi di giada (1977)

I'm generally a purist and prefer to watch films in their original language, but I'm sure everyone knows that a lot of Italian productions used actors of various nationalities and usually just let them speak their native language on set since all of the tracks were post-dubbed anyway. If the film has American actors as the leads and has them doing their own dub, I tend to prefer the dubbed track, but often the dub tracks are poorly done and have worse scripts.

For example, I'm planning on watching Blood and Black Lace tonight and took a quick look at the disc (I have the VCI release) and the lip synch (at least for the males at the start) matches up better with the English track and the subtitles on the Italian track appear to be dubtitles anyway so I'll probably go with the English version. I didn't watch too much because I didn't want to spoil anything before my real viewing.

But reading online now, I see that even though the actors spoke English on set it was post dubbed anyway and nearly all of the male voices were provided by a single guy. What the hell?! Now I have no idea what language I should watch it in. Maybe I'll just watch it in French to spite them!

#5 Cast a Deadly Spell (1991) Oct 5

Quote from the cover describes movie spot on - I was thinking about Roger Rabbit while watching. Nice mixture of detective and horror with accent on the detective part. Could do better with a bit more magic for my taste, but guess budget was not big enough. Kicking gargoyle in balls without breaking a leg and thus making an escape made me chuckle.

Next year I think I'm gonna do as many WTF kind of movies as I can find and that looks like it'll fit the bill, to the list it goes!

Booser

OCT 5th - Intruders (2011)

A boy and girl living in seperate cities are stalked by a boogeyman-like creature they call Hollowface. Clive Owen is also involved.

Good god this movie was boring. It also wasnt horror at all from what the trailers led me to believe. It also gave me the impression it didn't really know what it wanted to do with itself. Like other films like The Tall Man it becomes very obvious early on in the film that
it has nothing to do with the supernatural at all
but the conclusion and "twists" just seem so drawn out that it just ends up being dull as dishwater. You almost end up screaming at screen for them just to get on with it so you can watch something better.

My advice : watch something better.

Ridley327

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 5 - Werewolf of London (1935)

Not sure if you were aware of this, but Jack Pierce was intending to use the same makeup on Hull that would be eventually used on Lon Chaney, Jr. in The Wolfman, but Hull refused to wear that much makeup since he didn't want to spend that much time in the chair. It must've really chapped Pierce that he had such iconic work waiting to be unleashed for six years.

October 1 -

thepurge.jpg

Interesting premise but movie was a bit boring. I thought it could have worked better as an anthology showing 3 or 4 different events during The Purge. Also, it had one of the most annoying characters I´ve seen in a long time. I spent the whole movie waiting for the dumb kid to die, he was a waste of a space that fucked up everything. The ending twist was kind of predictable. Watchable.

October 2 -

childs-play-movie-poster.jpg

I´ve wanted to watch all the Chucky´s again for quite a while so this marathon was the perfect excuse to do that. The first is great but I thought it had a bigger body count than it actually has. Still holds up pretty well, love the puppet work.

October 3 -

childs-play-2-movie-poster-1990-1020205540.jpg

Decent follow up and I really enjoyed the showdown at the factory.

October 4 -

Child's+Play+3+(1991).jpg

While still enjoyable, it´s clearly the weaker of the original trilogy. It´s also the one where Chucky becomes more of joker which gave way to more recent ones that become more of a dark comedy than a proper horror movie.

October 5 -

WishmasterPoster.jpg

I love it, it´s pure 90´s horror. It´s full of icons of horror like Ted Raimi, Robert Englund, Kane Hodder and Tony Todd. Lot´s of gore and some great special effects. Never seen any of the sequels so I´m looking forward to that, even though I expect them to be shit.

Top Bottom