• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 44, 2007

FF_VIII said:
While we're on the subject of the 360 (technically) does the arcade sku have HDMI?

Wanted to pick one up for 299 since its just been released here.

Yes I'm thinking of getting a spare for my bedroom and a cheap HDMI cable, then all I have to do is whip of the Hardrive of my elite if I want to play in peace upstarirs.

Kenka

Frankfurter said:
Although that's still not really true. For example there are ~27 million pretty rich people in BeNeLux or ~15 million in Austria and Switzerland.

What do you mean ? I live in Switzerland and I can't afford a single café at morning 'cause I have no farthing for it (but yeah, I'm a student, and on top of that not that brilliant)

The greatest success in Switzerland in recent history is Nintendogs with about 120'000 copies sold LTD. This has been told me by the marketing assistent of Waldmeier.

Knowing this, how can you figure out that Switzerland has the potential to live up to a fraction of the UK market ?

Frankfurter said:
Fixed. Although that's still not really true. For example there are ~27 million pretty rich people in BeNeLux or ~15 million in Austria and Switzerland. It really doesn't make sense to say that UK/Fr/Ger/Sp do matter, but everything else doesn't. There are like 125-150 million mostly pretty rich people in the other EU-15 countries and Norway/Switzerland, on top of that nobody really knows how important the new (from 2004 and 2007) EU members are and will be in the future.
UK+Fr+Ger+Sp+It=over 300m
EU=500m

The eastern countries, who aren't an economical force yet add up to almost 100m. These markets can be neglected for now. Sure they will grow over time but why should they play a part in our discussions now when that will take a good 10 years? The rest does matter, just not as much as the big ones.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Arcade really is a sku for retail. For casual gamers basically. People know Uno, people know Pac-Man. I perfer price drops, but the illusion of a bundle harkens back to the NES days when you got a game with the console, now you can get two or more when you pick up a 360.
So no numbers or anything, just your honest guess?

Frillen

mr_bishiuk said:
The Uk actually represents around a third of European sales, to get top of the UK game charts you need about 40k of sales a week, but France for example is barely 5000. The only countries that matter in the console battle in Europe are UK, France and Spain, the units sold in other countries are too pitiful to mention. The Ps2 did very well In Europe outside of those countries but sales only really got going when it was under €200 and games sales were laughable, part from Fifa and PES obviously.

Germany is a bigger game market than Spain. Way bigger.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Phife Dawg said:
EU=500m

The eastern countries, who aren't an economical force yet add up to almost 100m. These markets can be neglected for now. Sure they will grow over time but why should they play a part in our discussions now when that will take a good 10 years? The rest does matter, just not as much as the big ones.

No, from what Gamestop people tell me and from what I've seen.

Prine

Banned
spwolf said:
lol.

Europe is significantly larger market than Japan, and UK is only 20-25% of European sales. I dont know why Albania or Island is mentioned, but Spain, Germany, France and UK are around 80% of European gaming market.

uk is more like 40 percent. Its bigger than france and germany combined!!

mr_bishiuk said:
Germany is a PC Zone, consoles dont do to well there do they?

Yes and no. PC is still the most important plattform in Germany, reflected by both revenue/sales and shelf space/presentation in stores, but DS for example is pretty hot here and apparently it's gonna be well over 3m LTD at the end of 2007.

ACK Thread nearly ruined by some rabid PS3 fan the first few pages, if Playstation3 sells more than 360 this gen he apparently gets a 10 million check from somewhere.

Prine

Banned
Chart TRack say UK makes more than Germany and France combined, i've posted the press release many times ffs. Stop making things up

Is it me or are these PAL charts discussion threads descending into the same old arguments every week?

"uk is not eu "
"360 is dead on teh continent "
"don't forget poland "
"germany is PC land "
"ps3 games have legs in france "
"*Insert country* is only about 20%...30%...40% of the euro gaming market" (changes each week)

Why spend so much time arguing over who gets second place? Is Buzz Aldrin the posterboy for this generation?

Wouldn't it be great to get a monthly NPD type release for Europe breaking down how sales are progressing? Imagine the speculation and conjecture it would end, no more statistics pulled from the brown hole. And Americans; be glad you have NPD. You are looking at the consequences of not having a centralised and public sales tracker.

beerbelly

Banned
Prine said:
Chart TRack say UK makes more than Germany and France combined, i've posted the press release many times ffs. Stop making things up

I can't see or hear you. la da deeeeeeee

11ioi9l.jpg
24nl4t2.jpg

Kosma

Banned
Prine said:
uk is more like 40 percent. Its bigger than france and germany combined!!

PS2 sold 8 million in the UK and 40+ in the whole EU.

So it's more like 25% of the market.

sakuragi

Banned
Spain

01. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS2)
02. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)
03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Xbox 360)
04. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC)
05. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
06. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
07. FIFA 08 (PS2)
08. WWE Smackdown! Vs RAW 2007 (PS2)
09. Football Manager 2008 (PC)
10. More Brain Training (DS)

Germany

03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC)
04. The Witcher (PC)
07. Anno 1701 (PC)
08. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Xbox 360)
09. FIFA 08 (PS2)

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7810&Itemid=2

Obaid

Banned
sakuragi said:
Spain

07. FIFA 08 (PS2)
08. WWE Smackdown! Vs RAW 2007 (PS2)
09. Football Manager 2008 (PC)

Germany

04. The Witcher (PC)
07. Anno 1701 (PC)
09. FIFA 08 (PS2)

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7810&Itemid=2

germany topten football games :lol 5 out of 10 or football games and like i said in another thread MP3 had a large maerkting campaign here in germany and is still in the top ten.

sakuragi

Banned
Obaid said:
germany topten football games :lol 5 out of 10 or football games and like i said in another thread MP3 had a large maerkting campaign here in germany and is still in the top ten.

Football > any other sports so its all good :) . I love you Europeans because you have good taste. Although your nickname suggest your Arabic in which case you are my bro. :D

Obaid

Banned
sakuragi said:
Football > any other sports so its all good :) . I love you Europeans because you have good taste. Although your nickname suggest your Arabic in which case you are my bro. :D

not arabic but also not too far away :D

Prine

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:

That only shows how much UK represents PS2 sales in EU, not the overall market worth.

In terms of money made, UK makes up about 38-40 percent of the market. Again, im gonna have to bust out the chart track press release for everyone to ignore :rolleyes

spwolf

Phife Dawg said:
EU=500m

According to Nintendo info, UK+FR+Spain+Ger are 75%-80% of the market.
I think 20-25% of market is quite significant :).

p.s. Console wise, in 2006, Spain overtook Germany to #3 spot in sales. So it is UK, France, Spain, Germany.

felipeko

OP updated, thanks sakuragi.

Denmark:
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 3 November 2007
01 (02) Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
02 (01) Football Manager 2008 (Pan Vision)
03 (__) Hellgate: London (Electronic Arts)
04 (03) Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (K.e. Media)
05 (07) Need For Speed: Carbon (Electronic Arts)
06 (__) The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts)
07 (09) Crash Of The Titans (Vivendi Games)
08 (__) Postmand Per (K.e. Media)
09 (04) The Sims 2: Bon Voyage (Electronic Arts)
10 (__) Garfield 2 (K.e. Media)
11 (11) Pixeline: Lær At Læse (Krea Medie)
12 (19) Counter-strike 1: Anthology (Electronic Arts)
13 (08) Biler (Thq)
14 (__) Fifa 07 (Electronic Arts)
15 (__) Counter-strike: Source (Electronic Arts)
16 (06) The Orange Box (Electronic Arts)
17 (10) World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Vivendi Games)
18 (__) Jordbær Marie Og Hendes Venner (K.e. Media)
19 (17) Ratatouille (Thq)
20 (20) The Sims 2 (Electronic Arts)

spwolf said:
According to Nintendo info, UK+FR+Spain+Ger are 75%-80% of the market.
I think 20-25% of market is quite significant :).

p.s. Console wise, in 2006, Spain overtook Germany to #3 spot in sales. So it is UK, France, Spain, Germany.
You should add Italy to that list as well, further reducing the remaining percentage. And the market besides all those big countries is spread over so many different countries that we can't really make any extrapolations from the little info we have. For instance scandinavian and benelux markets seem to differ quite a lot and for what we know neither could be an indication for the eastern european market.

felipeko said:
Those charts are ngb. We had that discussion about those charts. I still vote for sticking with the official ones, at least for Germany since we actually get it.

sakuragi said:
Spain

Germany
04. The Witcher (PC)
07. Anno 1701 (PC)
09. FIFA 08 (PS2)

Wow . . . Europe really is Sonyland. Why does the PS3 do better than the 360 in Europe considering the game library and price? It can't be Blu-Ray HD movies since HDTV penetration is not deep enough.

pswii60

felipeko said:

Denmark:
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 3 November 2007
01 (02) Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
02 (01) Football Manager 2008 (Pan Vision)
03 (__) Hellgate: London (Electronic Arts)
04 (03) Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (K.e. Media)
05 (07) Need For Speed: Carbon (Electronic Arts)
06 (__) The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts)
07 (09) Crash Of The Titans (Vivendi Games)
08 (__) Postmand Per (K.e. Media)
09 (04) The Sims 2: Bon Voyage (Electronic Arts)
10 (__) Garfield 2 (K.e. Media)
11 (11) Pixeline: Lær At Læse (Krea Medie)
12 (19) Counter-strike 1: Anthology (Electronic Arts)
13 (08) Biler (Thq)
14 (__) Fifa 07 (Electronic Arts)
15 (__) Counter-strike: Source (Electronic Arts)
16 (06) The Orange Box (Electronic Arts)
17 (10) World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Vivendi Games)
18 (__) Jordbær Marie Og Hendes Venner (K.e. Media)
19 (17) Ratatouille (Thq)
20 (20) The Sims 2 (Electronic Arts)

Postman Pat, Cars, Crash. Wtf!

nofi

speculawyer said:
Wow . . . Europe really is Sonyland. Why does the PS3 do better than the 360 in Europe considering the game library and price? It can't be Blu-Ray HD movies since HDTV penetration is not deep enough.

It's in our genes.

And some parts of Europe have an inbuilt distrust of American consoles.

speculawyer said:

I'd imagine quality has something to do with it, and then there's also the fact that Sony has had a few more years on the market. Aside from familiarity with everything from brand to controller, anyone with a grip on gaming history knows that even if the pickings might be slim now, Sony will deliver. Although the games library thing is becoming less relevant; barring shovelware, the difference won't be that significant even before 2008 starts.

felipeko

Phife Dawg said:
Those charts are ngb. We had that discussion about those charts. I still vote for sticking with the official ones, at least for Germany since we actually get it.
Yes, but no one positng the officials anymore :/

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo PES on a PS platform is a superior experience simply because it uses the DS/ shockaxis. Maybe the controller has a lot of issues with FPS and maybe the xbox360 controller is better in that regard. But for this game the DS is perfect and I can't imagine to play it with another controller. And I think a lot of people in Europe feel the same way.

And isn't the PS3/ PES2008 bundle supposed to come out next week?

Kildace

speculawyer said:

As I keep saying in each and every media create thread: it comes down to advertising and marketing. Microsoft never advertised its XBox and barely advertises the 360 in mainland Europe so obviously people keep buying playstations.
The day microsoft decides to truly push its console in mainland Europe, things might change.

Honestly, I adore my 360, but if one of my best friends hadn't ever bought it I probably would still think to this day that it's a gameless, POS of a console like the original Xbox and that PS3 was the way to go.

ram

speculawyer said:

pes league only featured ps2 in the past and now only ps3s. why should a serious pes fan buy a version for another system?

felipeko said:
Yes, but no one positng the officials anymore :/
Not true. Last week the charts were posted by reminder. The only week missing was the week before where I didn't get the charts (for whatever reason).

Kildace said:
As I keep saying in each and every media create thread: it comes down to advertising and marketing. Microsoft never advertised its XBox and barely advertises the 360 in mainland Europe so obviously people keep buying playstations.
The day microsoft decides to truly push its console in mainland Europe, things might change.

Honestly, I adore my 360, but if one of my best friends hadn't ever bought it I probably would still think to this day that it's a gameless, POS of a console like the original Xbox and that PS3 was the way to go.
I have seen more 360 ads at the PS3 launch than I've seen PS3 ads. They had the price reduction to 199 € and 299 € for the PS3 launch as well (Germany). They are trying to push the thing but fail for obvious reasons:
- lack of reliability
- most "exclusives" coming to PC sooner or later with PC still being a viable gaming plattform (HD since forever too :lol )
- MS isn't really the most loved brand there is (Europe has the highest percentage of Firefox users, then there's the whole discussion about MS monopolizing the software market)
- software pricing (PC versions are always a hefty amount cheaper)
- pay-to-play online with online being one major selling point of 360

speculawyer said:
We already knew that the PS3 version would outsell the 360 version on the mainland (well at least anyone paying attention to PAL sales-age and not having their system wars goggles on). PES is still seen as a Playstation brand. This might change in due time and we have seen that Fifa was quite successful on the 360, meaning some PS owners did make the change, but ultimately PS2 and PS3 to a lesser extent of course will sell the absolute bulk of these games. XBots (who I suppose are mainly not even from Europe) may want to make you believe otherwise, but 360 is not a big success outside of the UK.

Jokeropia

speculawyer said:
FYI, UK market is bigger than the German and Spanish markets combined. PS3 being #2 instead of #3 on the EU mainland hardly makes Europe "Sonyland".

felipeko

Phife Dawg said:
Not true. Last week the charts were posted by reminder. The only week missing was the week before where I didn't get the charts (for whatever reason).
Oh, you're right... I think i was so used about you posting german charts i didn't even notice :lol
Fixed (ngb german chart deleted) now...

Kildace

Phife Dawg said:
I have seen more 360 ads at the PS3 launch than I've seen PS3 ads. They had the price reduction to 199 € and 299 € for the PS3 launch as well (Germany). They are trying to push the thing but fail for obvious reasons:
- lack of reliability
- most "exclusives" coming to PC sooner or later with PC still being a viable gaming plattform (HD since forever too :lol )
- MS isn't really the most loved brand there is (Europe has the highest percentage of Firefox users, then there's the whole discussion about MS monopolizing the software market)
- software pricing (PC versions are always a hefty amount cheaper)
- pay-to-play online with online being one major selling point of 360

I work in advertising so I actually get the exact advertising expenditures. Sony has spent more than 3 times what Microsoft has spent in advertising in France . It had a very high profile advertising campaign with a teasing / revelation mechanism, it's almost always advertised inside FNAC's (france biggest "culture" retailer) and it's present in very strategical and expensive magazines like the latest redesigned Playboy.

Fun fact, Nintendo spends almost twice as much as Sony does.

justjohn

microsoft really baffles me sometimes. they're supposedly this wealthy large corporation and sometimes they're so stingy its not even funny. i wonder whats stopping them from advertising more in mainland europe. its clearly not money.

spwolf

justjohn said:
microsoft really baffles me sometimes. they're supposedly this wealthy large corporation and sometimes they're so stingy its not even funny. i wonder whats stopping them from advertising more in mainland europe. its clearly not money.

why do people think MS has billions to throw away? Every buck spent is buck not earned.

spwolf

Jokeropia said:
FYI, UK market is bigger than the German and Spanish markets combined. PS3 being #2 instead of #3 on the EU mainland hardly makes Europe "Sonyland".

link to the size of UK market? Someone claimed it is 40% of European sales... that looks way, way too big.

Raist

Banned
manzo said:
Excuse me sir, but what the fuck? 360 is actually doing better than PS3 here?

Bizarro world indeed.

Depends what this figure represents. If it's LTD, it's not that good for the 360 :p

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
felipeko said:
UK:
02 (02) [360] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
07 (03) [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)

11 (11) [360] Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
18 (19) [PS3] Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)

Wow . . . Europe really is Microsoftland. Why does the 360 do better than the PS3 in Europe?

Just making fun of the others proclaiming Europe SonyLand just because the PS3 PES outsold the 360 PES in 2 countries.

Shepherd said:
Wow . . . Europe really is Microsoftland. Why does the 360 do better than the PS3 in Europe?

Just making fun of the others proclaiming Europe SonyLand just because the PS3 PES outsold the 360 PES in 2 countries.

I'd like to know the margin of outselling in any of these instances, if we're going around proclaiming all these "Lands".

FF_VIII

Banned
Shepherd said:

It was actually 4 (who've posted charts) but 2 of those where last week.

Edit: My mistake, it's 3.

1. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (Wii)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
3. Football Manager 2008 (PC)
4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)
5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS2)
6. Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PC)
7. Singstar Svenska hits Schlager (PS2)
8. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (360)
9. World of Warcraft (PC)
10. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC)
11. FIFA 08 (PS2)
12. Counter-Strike 1: Anthology (PC)
13. Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (360)
14. The Sims 2 Jorden Runt (PC)
15. The Witcher (PC)
16. Halo 3 (360)
17. Battlefield 2 (PC)
18. Warcraft III Frozen Throne (PC)
19. FIFA 08 (PS3)
20. World in Conflict (PC)

Still waiting on France, Italy and Portugal, but it will be the same.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
The great news is that now that NPD does not give out HW numbers we can proclaim the PS3 winning there as well. Just wait it will happen.

cilonen

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'd like to know the margin of outselling in any of these instances, if we're going around proclaiming all these "Lands".

We should find somewhere to claim as GAFLand. Whoever sells the most there wins, losers get nuked out of existance.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
link to the size of UK market? Someone claimed it is 40% of European sales... that looks way, way too big.
In terms of installed bases of this generation's consoles (estimation pieced together from various PRs and articles), the total sales (Wii+360+PS3) are approximately twice as large in UK as it is in Spain and Germany combined. This report has the UK at a 32.8% EU software sales share in 2005 (Germany 17.9% and Spain 7.6%), and this likely includes PC software since Germany would be significantly lower otherwise.

Arsenal

oo Kosma oo said:

PS2 does not equal the gaming market!

We needed another comment like this :lol

Seriously though, what was true last gen isn't necessarily true this gen. Europe is perhaps the most interesting console battleground with Nintendo and Microsoft providing a lot more competition than last gen even though it looks like this is the PS3's strongest market. The variety from all the various countries makes it impossible to make any blanket generalizations.

Xzbeat

Jokeropia said:
In terms of installed bases of this generation's consoles (estimation pieced together from various PRs and articles), the total sales (Wii+360+PS3) are approximately twice as large in UK as it is in Spain and Germany combined. This report has the UK at a 32.8% EU software sales share in 2005 (Germany 17.9% and Spain 7.6%), and this likely includes PC software since Germany would be significantly lower otherwise.
You should not forget that Spain is also known as pirate-land.

spwolf

Jokeropia said:
In terms of installed bases of this generation's consoles (estimation pieced together from various PRs and articles), the total sales (Wii+360+PS3) are approximately twice as large in UK as it is in Spain and Germany combined. This report has the UK at a 32.8% EU software sales share in 2005 (Germany 17.9% and Spain 7.6%), and this likely includes PC software since Germany would be significantly lower otherwise.

wait, so you madeit up? :lol

Top Bottom