• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 44, 2007

spwolf

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Who's spinning? What other major PS3 releases have charted since the release of FIFA 08?

Look at last week's charts, which mostly have week 42 numbers for every country.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203714&highlight=Charts

Every country aside from Germany has The Orange Box, Halo 3, or PGR4 on the charts, with FIFA and ProEvo being the only non-bundled games for PS3.

whats the point of your post? What are the "major PS3 releases" after FIFA and PES? R&C is next.

Lightning

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Who's spinning? What other major PS3 releases have charted since the release of FIFA 08?

Look at last week's charts, which mostly have week 42 numbers for every country.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203714&highlight=Charts

Every country aside from Germany has The Orange Box, Halo 3, or PGR4 on the charts, with FIFA and ProEvo being the only non-bundled games for PS3.
Considering FIFA/PES are so much bigger in Europe then those other franchises you mentioned.... it's spinning. You are assuming that after Halo 3, PGR (Which is already dropping), Orange Box (Already dropping) that the 360 versions of FIFA and PES are going to come back and surpass the PS3 versions in those regions... not happening.

When all is said and done FIFA will have sold more on the PS3 then the 360 in all regions other then UK.

Lightning said:
Considering FIFA/PES are so much bigger in Europe then those other franchises you mentioned.... it's spinning. You are assuming that after Halo 3, PGR (Which is already dropping), Orange Box (Already dropping) that the 360 versions of FIFA and PES are going to come back and surpass the PS3 versions in those regions... not happening.

When all is said and done FIFA will have sold more on the PS3 then the 360 in all regions other then UK.

And lo, when the lava rises up from below the fields and plains of the earth, when the cattle wither away, those copies of FIFA and PES that remain will be adorned in black and never green....

909er

Lightning said:

Spinning my ass. Even Madden on the Xbox was putting up numbers relatively close to the PS2's toward the end of the lifecycle. Big titles tend to sell big regardless of userbase, and userbase is closing between 360 and PS3 in mainland. However, the fact is 360 has games that chart, showing that it in fact does have a viable market in mainland. I have no doubt it'll be a close match there, and with the PS3 having an upperhand, but this "360 am doomed" thing needs to stop. Last time I checked, the PS3 still has a 2 million deficit to make up.

909er said:
Spinning my ass. Even Madden on the Xbox was putting up numbers relatively close to the PS2's toward the end of the lifecycle. Big titles tend to sell big regardless of userbase, and userbase is closing between 360 and PS3 in mainland. However, the fact is 360 has games that chart, showing that it in fact does have a viable market in mainland. I have no doubt it'll be a close match there, and with the PS3 having an upperhand, but this "360 am doomed" thing needs to stop. Last time I checked, the PS3 still has a 2 million deficit to make up.

That's what's so puzzling about all this. PS3 is "Number One" in position alone. It's not gaining any kind of real ground worldwide. If it sells 20k more copies of one game in one country, how is that going to help its situation with content providers worldwide?

It shows that a lot of people are only interested in what the spot on podium is.

Lightning said:

I'm predicting longer legs for the 360 version, that's all. More than likely, the gamers who are picking up Orange Box and PGR4 now will simply pick up FIFA/PES at a later date, because it will still be available.

The attach rate for the PS3 version would have to be much higher for it to outsell the 360 version in every country (at least where the 360 still has an LTD lead), if FIFA and PES are the only desirable PS3 games at the moment obviously their attach rates would be higher at the start. It's quite obvious that if Halo didn't release the same week as FIFA, FIFA would've been the best-selling 360 game that week and in subsequent weeks, and would've garnered additional sales.

Look at the Madden sales from August to September NPD...The 360 version outsold the PS2 version over the first few weeks of release by several hundred thousand, but in September it was outsold by the PS2 version, which is probably due to the PS2 having a larger userbase with more casual gamers, but also due to Halo sucking up a big chunk of retail dollars.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm predicting longer legs for the 360 version, that's all. More than likely, the gamers who are picking up Orange Box and PGR4 now will simply pick up FIFA/PES at a later date, because it will still be available.
There's something in this... I was going to pick up FIFA 2008 but I simply can't justify buying another game when I've got so many other things to play right now. Still haven't even really had a chance to play much Halo multiplayer yet.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
Surprising to see both jump up a bit. Could be an indicator of increased 360 sales? Or are more bundles going on? It's the first rise for Halo 3 since release; it had been slowly sliding down the top 10.

Chart Track said:
Retailer bundling gives Master Chief a resurgence, helping to boost sales of ‘Halo 3’ by 46% and pushing Microsoft’s highly acclaimed title 3 places up the chart from No8 to No5.
Well, there it is.

Lightning

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

The attach rate for the PS3 version would have to be much higher for it to outsell the 360 version in every country (at least where the 360 still has an LTD lead), if FIFA and PES are the only desirable PS3 games at the moment obviously their attach rates would be higher at the start. It's quite obvious that if Halo didn't release the same week as FIFA, FIFA would've been the best-selling 360 game that week and in subsequent weeks, and would've garnered additional sales.

Look at the Madden sales from August to September NPD...The 360 version outsold the PS2 version over the first few weeks of release by several hundred thousand, but in September it was outsold by the PS2 version, which is probably due to the PS2 having a larger userbase with more casual gamers, but also due to Halo sucking up a big chunk of retail dollars.
So the PS3 versions won't have legs? The PS3 is selling quite well in Europe after all and new people buying might buy PES/FIFA as well, no? All I am saying is that it's possible that the 360 owners are also money restricted and with Microsoft releasing such high profile games all bunched in they may just skip some games this time around. I mean, you have Mass Effect, COD4, Assassins Creed and more so it's not like the 360 has a dry spell of games coming up anytime soon.

909er

Lightning said:
So the PS3 versions won't have legs? The PS3 is selling quite well in Europe after all and new people buying might buy PES/FIFA as well, no? All I am saying is that it's possible that the 360 owners are also money restricted and with Microsoft releasing such high profile games all bunched in they may just skip some games this time around. I mean, you have Mass Effect, COD4, Assassins Creed and more so it's not like the 360 has a dry spell of games coming up anytime soon.

Do you have proof of the PS3 selling well outside of the price drop period? Because that gets thrown around alot, but I would really like to see concrete figures that reflect normal sales on any given week.

tiong_fi

Interesting sales figures from Finland:

pelimyynti_alkuvuonna_07.jpg

sakuragi

Banned
Why are people acting like Uk = Europe :lol . I swear some of the post here are good for a few laughs and nothing more.

Someone mentioned that Sony sold 45 million PS2 consoles in Europe alone yes? how much of those 45 million were bought in the UK? Anyone has the PS2 life to date sold in the UK?

pswii60

360 isn't dead in mainland Europe by any means - it's not a Japan situation. However, MS still have a lot of work to do to win people over. They need more decent casual games - stuff like Scene It, Banjo, Guitar Hero etc will ultimately help.

Belgorim

pswii60 said:
360 isn't dead in mainland Europe by any means - it's not a Japan situation. However, MS still have a lot of work to do to win people over. They need more decent casual games - stuff like Scene It, Banjo, Guitar Hero etc will ultimately help.
a low price tag would not hurt either.

Xzbeat

sakuragi said:
Why are people acting like Uk = Europe :lol . I swear some of the post here are good for a few laughs and nothing more.

Someone mentioned that Sony sold 45 million PS2 consoles in Europe alone yes? how much of those 45 million were bought in the UK? Anyone has the PS2 life to date sold in the UK?
About 9 millions I think.

Not a lot happening this week (in the charts at least, thread is quite busy :lol ).

radioheadrule83 said:
I understand Metroid is in the midst of some very tough competition, and a lot of it is first person, but god damn it better have legs.

Best game on Wii until November 16. And then at worst case, it'll be second best.
Well football dominates and then you have all the retailer bundles, I think MP3 does fine. But I didn't expect it to light the charts on fire either. Plus I don't know about the situation in the UK but I had to do a one hour drive to get my copy of MP3 (Germany). And the stores that were sold out said that Nintendo didn't tell them when they should expect new shipments "probably next week or so" (big Nintendo fuck-up btw).

cilonen said:
Videogame markets beyond Japan and the US just aren't all that important. Europe beyond the UK isn't, hell even the UK isn't really. England isn't the centre of Europe, but it is the largest videogame market in Europe, and it's peanuts compared to where the action is really happening.
Hm somebody should have payed attention to those charts from nintendo a couple of days ago.

BenjaminBirdie said:
All that matters is that MS is doing badly somewhere.
I'm not one to defend Sony fans but apart from the UK 360 isn't successfull in the major European markets. Wii beat it's LTD a couple of months ago here in Germany for instance. Seeing that 360 is indeed non-existant in Japan I think it's easier to point out the markets where 360 is successful as vice versa.

AdmiralViscen said:
PES is viewed as a Sony franchise! People say it about GTA too.
Are you insinuating that these people are not correct? (in regards to PES)

tiong_fi said:
Too bad there's no period, no sales numbers and the fact Finland probably acounts for 1% of the European videogame market.

I don't get all this talk about Metroid bombing, we all knew how it was going to preform, but everyone seems surprised that it isn't beanting soccer/football games and brain training in europe (UK specifically)

sakuragi

Banned
Xzbeat said:
About 9 millions I think.

So assuming this number is correct, 9 million out of 45 million is about 20%.

UK is 20% of the European sales of the PS2. yup, there you have it folks the UK does indeed equal Europe. :lol

VultureDude said:
I don't get all this talk about Metroid bombing, we all knew how it was going to preform, but everyone seems surprised that it isn't beanting soccer/football games and brain training in europe (UK specifically)

I just hope it has RE4 style legs and pops up now and then. Its awesome

Opus Angelorum said:
The 360 Arcade will help a lot.

No, it really won't.

If Amazon sales of the arcade are anything to go by (I know, I know), and looking at the PS3 40GB's lack of popularity relative to the 80GB/60GB here and in PAL territories, it looks like the lower priced SKUs still haven't shaken off the 'tard pack' image.

The important lesson to be learned here from Sony and MS is that people who pay premium prices for electronics want the best configuration available.

I don't think the Arcade will make a dent in overall 360 sales until it's well under $199.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the 360 bundles are selling well in the UK.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Sho_Nuff82 said:
No, it really won't.

If Amazon sales of the arcade are anything to go by (I know, I know), and looking at the PS3 40GB's lack of popularity relative to the 80GB/60GB here and in PAL territories, it looks like the lower priced SKUs still haven't shaken off the 'tard pack' image.

The important lesson to be learned here from Sony and MS is that people who pay premium prices for electronics want the best configuration available.

I don't think the Arcade will make a dent in overall 360 sales until it's well under $199.

Arcade is selling

Frillen

MP3 Corruption is at least tracking way better than Echoes, which didn't even chart in the top 40 in its second week back in 04.

radioheadrule83 said:
I just hope it has RE4 style legs and pops up now and then. Its awesome

really, it has to. For a long time it's going to be the only major FPS worth looking into (lack of multiplayer aside) for any non-casual gamer looking to buy a Wii

The Uk actually represents around a third of European sales, to get top of the UK game charts you need about 40k of sales a week, but France for example is barely 5000. The only countries that matter in the console battle in Europe are UK, France and Spain, the units sold in other countries are too pitiful to mention. The Ps2 did very well In Europe outside of those countries but sales only really got going when it was under €200 and games sales were laughable, part from Fifa and PES obviously.

Raist

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
The Uk actually represents around a third of European sales, to get top of the UK game charts you need about 40k of sales a week, but France for example is barely 5000. The only countries that matter in the console battle in Europe are UK, France and Spain, the units sold in other countries are too pitiful to mention. The Ps2 did very well In Europe outside of those countries but sales only really got going when it was under €200 and games sales were laughable, part from Fifa and PES obviously.

5000 sales to get the top of the french charts ?
Huh no, it's a bit more than that. More like 10-12k

nli10

[Nintex and other posters] said:
Damn MP3 bombed in the UK, perhaps the shortages are to blame?

MP3 has sold so much better in the UK than MP or MP2 ever did, and earlier in the console's life span AND against strong competition of the big 2 football games. Its doing fine even if it alienates both FPS fans and 2D metroid fans.

It's on the shelves of all gaming stores i've been in, as is SPM.

Nintendo are holding back Wii shipments for a massive influx for Mario Galaxy. They want an all formats number one and by hook or by crook they will get it (in the units chart at least). Expect a trickle for Endless Ocean, which I guess is either been sent out to die or ride on Mario's coat tails depending on your view.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Arcade is selling
Do you have any actual information, numbers, trends?

nli10 said:
MP3 has sold so much better in the UK than MP or MP2 ever did, and earlier in the console's life span AND against strong competition of the big 2 football games. Its doing fine even if it alienates both FPS fans and 2D metroid fans.

It's on the shelves of all gaming stores i've been in, as is SPM.
I like both and I love MP3.

Like I said, haven't seen them on shelf around my place in Germany in most stores. Did see the ocassional SPM though.

pswii60

Sho_Nuff82 said:
No, it really won't.

Arcade's success will be at retail, not online. And that's exactly who it's aimed at. Mum & Dad go in to a store to buy little Jonny a 360, see an Arcade bundled with a couple of games for £199, and go for that option. People who shop online generally already know what they want before they buy.

mr_bishiuk said:
The Uk actually represents around a third of European sales, to get top of the UK game charts you need about 40k of sales a week, but France for example is barely 5000. The only countries that matter in the console battle in Europe are UK, France, Germany and Spain, the units sold in other countries are too pitiful to mention. The Ps2 did very well In Europe outside of those countries but sales only really got going when it was under €200 and games sales were laughable, part from Fifa and PES obviously.

Fixed. Although that's still not really true. For example there are ~27 million pretty rich people in BeNeLux or ~15 million in Austria and Switzerland. It really doesn't make sense to say that UK/Fr/Ger/Sp do matter, but everything else doesn't. There are like 125-150 million mostly pretty rich people in the other EU-15 countries and Norway/Switzerland, on top of that nobody really knows how important the new (from 2004 and 2007) EU members are and will be in the future.

pswii60

Frankfurter said:
Fixed. Although that's still not really true. For example there are ~27 million pretty rich people in BeNeLux or ~15 million in Austria and Switzerland. It really doesn't make sense to say that UK/Fr/Ger/Sp do matter, but everything else doesn't. There are like 125-150 million mostly pretty rich people in the other EU-15 countries and Norway/Switzerland, on top of that nobody really knows how important the new (from 2004 and 2007) EU members are and will be in the future.

Yup, basically. But most potential Polish gamers are now living and working in the UK since becoming a EU member ;)

But MS did say earlier this year (this isn't a quote) that they're confident with their US plans, have pretty much given up on Japan and are now focussing on doing better in Europe. So we may see some improvement.

They've already improved greatly this gen here in the UK compared to the original Xbox. In fact, it's almost jaw-dropping IMHO. I expected 360 to do better than XBox, but I also expected PS3 to completely flatten it upon release. If anything, what MS said about 'competing with a myth' late last year after PS3 was delayed in Europe, well... they were right as far as the UK was concerned.

Agent Icebeezy

Phife Dawg said:
Do you have any actual information, numbers, trends?
pswii60 said:
Arcade's success will be at retail, not online. And that's exactly who it's aimed at. Mum & Dad go in to a store to buy little Jonny a 360, see an Arcade bundled with a couple of games for £199, and go for that option. People who shop online generally already know what they want before they buy.

Arcade really is a sku for retail. For casual gamers basically. People know Uno, people know Pac-Man. I perfer price drops, but the illusion of a bundle harkens back to the NES days when you got a game with the console, now you can get two or more when you pick up a 360.

Agent Icebeezy

pswii60

Agent Icebeezy said:

And here's a link to that interview in full:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a0FYuTjLAMec

``The No. 1 objective is to win on a global basis and that may mean winning some markets and losing others,'' Aaron Greenberg, Microsoft's group product manager for the Xbox game console business, said in an interview at the Tokyo Game Show yesterday. ``Europe is our priority focus right now.''

2008 is looking more healthy for 360 on a European basis. They have 1st and 3rd party games that may have more of an appeal - Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Banjo Kazooie, Too Human, Fable 2, etc. But really, Forza 2 should have had more of an impact this year. Can only blame it on the marketing really, and GT could have major impact in 2008 on the European market.

Frankfurter said:

Germany is a PC Zone, consoles dont do to well there do they?

Edit I was talking about Console sales not number of people! For example Percentage wise loads more people play consoles in the UK than in any other European country, France and Germany have bigger populations but buy far less games

Vagabundo

VultureDude said:

I think we hoped that such an amazing game would do better (heart-head disconnect)...

Wii games can have some nice legs, lets hope it charts for a good few weeks yet...

pswii60 said:
2008 is looking more healthy for 360 on a European basis. They have 1st and 3rd party games that may have more of an appeal - Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Banjo Kazooie, Too Human, Fable 2, etc. But really, Forza 2 should have had more of an impact this year. Can only blame it on the marketing really, and GT could have major impact in 2008 on the European market.

Will have. It's going to Infected all over the EU, 28 Weeks Later style. The really gratuitously violent one. Even for a zombie movie.

FF_VIII

Banned
While we're on the subject of the 360 (technically) does the arcade sku have HDMI?

Wanted to pick one up for 299 since its just been released here.

Agent Icebeezy

FF_VIII said:
While we're on the subject of the 360 (technically) does the arcade sku have HDMI?

yes

C4Lukins

FF_VIII said:

Yes, but I believe you need to purchase a cable.

Top Bottom