• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 44, 2007

[Nintex]

Kildace said:
So it's just poor management? There again, nothing coming from NoE surprises me anymore.
I think it is, just look at their release list. It's not the first time their games are in short supply. In february stores here were selling US DS games because NoE couldn't meet the demand.

Lightning

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
If the Forza/Halo and Resistance/Heavenly Sword numbers are anything to go by, a big hardware spike for the 360 and a modest drop by the PS3.
I don't think that's a fair indication. The 40GB does not include any games and according to reports the 60GB is starting to become hard to find.

Forza 2 numbers might be an indicator for the 360 but Halo 3 is not. People who already own a 360 will still be buying that game.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:
PS3 version dropping, the others hold steady. Probably just a function of the installed bases here.

Surprising to see both jump up a bit. Could be an indicator of increased 360 sales? Or are more bundles going on? It's the first rise for Halo 3 since release; it had been slowly sliding down the top 10.

As a proxy for PS3 sales, these probably mean things are holding pretty steady. Which is good, considering the spike from the price cut.

OUCH! The game is ranking pretty low on the Live activity charts as well (#9 last week). Not a good sign for Freeman and company.

The Orange Box should have come out a long time ago, when it was supposed to have come out.

Lightning said:
Forza 2 numbers might be an indicator for the 360 but Halo 3 is not. People who already own a 360 will still be buying that game.

I'm not so sure, I would suggest 95% of Xbox 360 owners who waited for Halo 3 bought it within the first week.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah but check out what it's charting behind:
GHIII demo? RS:Vegas? (Isn't that a year old?) Not flattering considering the package. I think it's just lousy timing; hopefully it manages some legs over the holidays. (I'm guilty here as well - I won't be picking it up until after Christmas.)

GhaleonEB said:
GHIII demo? RS:Vegas? (Isn't that a year old?) Not flattering considering the package. I think it's just lousy timing; hopefully it manages some legs over the holidays. (I'm guilty here as well - I won't be picking it up until after Christmas.)

R6V has been in the top ten pretty much that whole time, holding off stuff like Forza, Crackdown, Oblivion, etc. And GHIII demo is still Guitar Hero.

If this reassure you guys a bit, it seems like Metroid Prime 3 is doing really, really well here in France. Anyway, we're known to be probably the biggest bunch of traditional Nintendo fans in all of Europe, and I'm quite sure we love our flagship Nintendo franchises too much to pass up this gem. I guess we will see what's up in two or three weeks, when the chart corresponding to its release week is out...

justjohn

AdmiralViscen said:
So much for the PES 360 trolling.
i'm pretty sure everyone said the 360 version will sell the most in the uk whilst the ps3 version will sell the most in mainland europe, and thats exactly what happened. no?

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
R6V has been in the top ten pretty much that whole time, holding off stuff like Forza, Crackdown, Oblivion, etc. And GHIII demo is still Guitar Hero.
Still very surprised - given the pedigree of Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress and the overall package, I'd expect it to be charting higher. Bear in mind I'm not just commenting on the absolute Live ranking, but looking at the drop in the UK chart of 22 spots in just one week in conjunction with it. That's a freefall.

Kildace

justjohn said:
i'm pretty sure everyone said the 360 version will sell the most in the uk whilst the ps3 version will sell the most in mainland europe, and thats exactly what happened. no?

A lot of people were saying that PES 360 would be very frontloaded like most 360 games and would drop like a rock the following week since the biggest amount of PES fans would migrate to PS3, actually.

justjohn said:

I think the PS3 and Xbox 360 PES08 numbers are going to be very close across Europe.

GhaleonEB said:
Still very surprised - given the pedigree of Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress and the overall package, I'd expect it to be charting higher. Bear in mind I'm not just commenting on the absolute Live ranking, but looking at the drop in the UK chart of 22 spots in just one week in conjunction with it. That's a freefall.

*sniff*

Yeah..I know....

justjohn said:

PES is viewed as a Sony franchise! People say it about GTA too.

Prine

Banned
justjohn said:

nope, me and sho_nuff were saying it will perform better in UK and we came up against hostile fire from SDF. Not pointing at anyone but what you said is not true

Lightning

Banned
What are the overall FIFA08 figures like between PS3/360? Should be interesting because PES will likely turn out the exact same way.

And when do we get Spain and Italy software charts from last week?

cilonen

AdmiralViscen said:
PES is viewed as a Sony franchise! People say it about GTA too.

I know people say it, but with PES 2006 on 360 last year, and the 360's position in the UK growing over the last year it's only natural for titles like that to swing.

It's just making it more apparant that the PS3 can't trade on the PS2's name and reputation in the way pretty much everyone thought it would. I may be crediting Sony too much here, but I think some camps within are trying to position the PS3 on key first party experiences and novel concepts (Eye of Judgment, Top Gear incorporation into GT5). Of course, I have no idea what the ??? step is between 'position novel concepts' and 'Profit'.

360 is becoming HD gaming mainstream with or without Live (it doesn't really matter at this point, but it's nice for people who use it). Wii is simply mainstream. PS3 is.... still a bit of a mystery to a lot of people. I think people get the impression it's high tech and does a lot, but they don't really see why they should have one over a 360.

Given that, you'll see all the mainstream mass appeal titles slowly become 'known as' or at least accpeted as 360 titles over the next couple of iterations. It'll all change again when all the chips are thrown up in the air again in a couple of hardware generations.

Lightning

Banned
cilonen said:
360 is becoming HD gaming mainstream with or without Live (it doesn't really matter at this point, but it's nice for people who use it). Wii is simply mainstream. PS3 is.... still a bit of a mystery to a lot of people. I think people get the impression it's high tech and does a lot, but they don't really see why they should have one over a 360.

Given that, you'll see all the mainstream mass appeal titles slowly become 'known as' or at least accpeted as 360 titles over the next couple of iterations. It'll all change again when all the chips are thrown up in the air again in a couple of hardware generations.
Are you talking about UK only? Because I haven't seen the 360 hit HD mainstream anywhere else in Europe, infact, considering this will be the 3rd Christmas for 360 it's penetration outside the UK has been pathetic. Remember, UK is only a small part of Europe. The 360 given the price difference, software lineup should have already buried the PS3 but it hasn't.

The 360 is Fission Mailed outside the US/UK and even in those regions hasn't taken off like it should have given all the software it's released. It only looks better there because the PS3 sucks harder in those regions.

Lightning said:
The 360 given the price difference, software lineup should have already buried the PS3 but it hasn't.

So it's come to this. For years (!!) we've heard pretty much nothing but talk about brand recognition and the power of Sony's first party, etc, and now that Sony is improving its fortunes, the 360 is a failure because it should have already buried them?

kottila said:
I think Take 2 are extremely satisfied by the Carnival game. Didn't they sell 110k last NPD and it's charting in Europe as well.
I am continually amazed by the selling power of that simple game. Either they are advertising like crazy or they hit upon a great game idea . . . . simple mini-games of games that people already know.

cilonen

Lightning said:
Are you talking about UK only? Because I haven't seen the 360 hit HD mainstream anywhere else in Europe, infact, considering this will be the 3rd Christmas for 360 it's penetration outside the UK has been pathetic. Remember, UK is only a small part of Europe. The 360 given the price difference, software lineup should have already buried the PS3 but it hasn't.

The 360 is Fission Mailed outside the US/UK and even in those regions hasn't taken off like it should have given all the software it's released. It only looks better there because the PS3 sucks harder in those regions.

Yeah, just my current highly localised UK-based impressions. 360 gets all those ad placements that the PS2 used to. There are arguments for and against, and I have the distinct impression that come christmas 2009 we'll still be saying 'it's too early to tell!'. I do think 360 will get a level of acceptance Xbox never had, and more of those previously Sony-friendly franchises will be seen as neutral or find a new fanbase home on the 360 though, sports especially.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
BenjaminBirdie said:
So it's come to this. For years (!!) we've heard pretty much nothing but talk about brand recognition and the power of Sony's first party, etc, and now that Sony is improving its fortunes, the 360 is a failure because it should have already buried them?

In reality, the first year the 360 was on the market, it fought the ghost of the 2005 PS3. The 360 is still priced outside of a lot of people's budget. 360 has the RROD thing as well. However, the first year was the specter of the 2005 PS3. At the launch of the 360, PS brand was still at a very good high, but as of now, Sony has done a lot to take that away themselves.

Lightning

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
If Brand Recognition was that important, Nintendo would never have been knocked off... and Sony's 1st party games and a few 3rd party games will be the reason why the PS3 ultimately defeats the 360 this gen in WW sales.

cilonen said:
Yeah, just my current highly localised UK-based impressions. 360 gets all those ad placements that the PS2 used to. There are arguments for and against, and I have the distinct impression that come christmas 2009 we'll still be saying 'it's too early to tell!'. I do think 360 will get a level of acceptance Xbox never had, and more of those previously Sony-friendly franchises will be seen as neutral or find a new fanbase home on the 360 though, sports especially.
Which 'franchises' are you referring to?

And we shall see, since I think come Christmas 2009 the 360 fans will realize just how much their console blew what could have been something truly special.

cilonen

Lightning said:
If Brand Recognition was that important, Nintendo would never have been knocked off... and Sony's 1st party games and a few 3rd party games will be the reason why the PS3 ultimately defeats the 360 this gen in WW sales.

It's going to be like Genesis / MegaDrive vs. SNES all over again. I have no confidence in calling it one way or another until well after the dust settles though. Sony fans will have to accept that 360 made significant inroads into their mindshare fortress; 360 fans will have to rue what could have been with reliable hardware and built in HD-DVD.

Raist

Banned
French top 5 for Week 42

TW/LW

01/00. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda : Phantom Hourglass
02/01. [PS2] Fifa 08
03/02. [PS3] Fifa 08
04/03. [NDS] MySims
05/06. [PS2] Rugby 08

Full charts should be available Saturday

Lightning

Banned
Raist said:
French top 5 for Week 42

TW/LW

01/00. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda : Phantom Hourglass
02/01. [PS2] Fifa 08
03/02. [PS3] Fifa 08
04/03. [NDS] MySims
05/06. [PS2] Rugby 08

Full charts should be available Saturday
As expected, 360 outside UK sucks. Color me shocked.

cilonen said:
It's going to be like Genesis / MegaDrive vs. SNES all over again. I have no confidence in calling it one way or another until well after the dust settles though. Sony fans will have to accept that 360 made significant inroads into their mindshare fortress; 360 fans will have to rue what could have been with reliable hardware and built in HD-DVD.
How are they meant to do that when the 360 sucks outside the UK? England is not the centre of Europe.

f@luS

More than a member.
AdmiralViscen said:
So much for the PES 360 trolling.
there is still absolutely none, 0 , zero, PES2008 on ps3 since the launch day. Dont know whats going on but no restock at all in all france almost
Nothing about installed base at all, the game is just...not there.

cilonen

Lightning said:
How are they meant to do that when the 360 sucks outside the UK? England is not the centre of Europe.

Videogame markets beyond Japan and the US just aren't all that important. Europe beyond the UK isn't, hell even the UK isn't really. England isn't the centre of Europe, but it is the largest videogame market in Europe, and it's peanuts compared to where the action is really happening.

You're coming across all 'Woohoo PS3 #1 in Albania and all territories east of the Urals! Next gen wars over confirmed, Iceland, you're next for Sony domination'. Whilst the underlying point that you have to take into account a global market is valid, you make it seem more important than it actually is.

justjohn

cilonen said:
Videogame markets beyond Japan and the US just aren't all that important. Europe beyond the UK isn't, hell even the UK isn't really. England isn't the centre of Europe, but it is the largest videogame market in Europe, and it's peanuts compared to where the action is really happening.

You're coming across all 'Woohoo PS3 #1 in Albania and all territories east of the Urals! Next gen wars over confirmed, Iceland, you're next for Sony domination'. Whilst the underlying point that you have to take into account a global market is valid, you make it seem more important than it actually is.
is this some sort of a joke? have you seen ps2 sales in europe japan and US?

Lightning

Banned
cilonen said:

You're right, the millions that GT sells in Europe don't matter, same with the fact that MGS3 sold the most in Europe.

But as normal, 360 fans stick their heads in the US dirt and pretend all around them doesn't matter... except for the fact that Square Enix among others have already stated the importance of the Europe market.

Afterall, I am sure Sony still enjoy the 45million PS2's sold there which is over double the Japan PS2 sales but don't worry, only US matters.....

cilonen

justjohn said:
is this some sort of a joke? have you seen ps2 sales in europe japan and US?

Yeah, you're right - I was thinking of the new wave of consoles, I should have qualified that with HD-gen (or whatever you want to call it) specifics.

cilonen

Lightning said:
You're right, the millions that GT sells in Europe don't matter, same with the fact that MGS3 sold the most in Europe.

But as normal, 360 fans stick their heads in the US dirt and pretend all around them doesn't matter... except for the fact that Square Enix among others have already stated the importance of the Europe market.

Afterall, I am sure Sony still enjoy the 45million PS2's sold there.

I like that you think I'm a 360 fan, that's funny.

Lightning said:
As expected, 360 outside UK sucks. Color me shocked.

Ignoring your regrettable choice of words, keep in mind that FIFA/PES sales on 360 (UK included) have been buffered by the sales of Halo 3, Orange Box, and PGR4, whereas they've been pretty much the only big releases on PS3.

I'm certain the 360 versions will win out over time, simply due to the larger userbase in every country outside of Spain.

Lightning

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Ignoring your regrettable choice of words, keep in mind that FIFA/PES sales on 360 (UK included) have been buffered by the sales of Halo 3, Orange Box, and PGR4, whereas they've been pretty much the only big releases on PS3.

I'm certain the 360 versions will win out over time, simply due to the larger userbase in every country outside of Spain.
Oh yes, nice assumptions and excuses. You must be tired after spinning so fast.

We'll see in the end.

ksamedi

cilonen said:

What a stupid comment, Europe has been important for years now, even for Nintendo who traditionally did bad in Europe is doing some awesome numbers around here. Guess what, they are doing better than US numbers, so don't go there. Even Sony does better in Europe than the US so what you say is actually opposite, the US doesn't matter that much anymore, its more global these days.

cilonen

ksamedi said:
What a stupid comment, Europe has been important for years now, even for Nintendo who traditionally did bad in Europe is doing some awesome numbers around here. Guess what, they are doing better than US numbers, so don't go there. Even Sony does better in Europe than the US so what you say is actually opposite, the US doesn't matter that much anymore, its more global these days.

Which is why we get all the big releases first, especially for Nintendo titles.

Lightning said:

Who's sticking their heads in the sand? The people who are saying 360 will rule the roost? Oh, wait, that's no one at all. I think most 360 fans are just happy that the rabid userbase they've fostered has guaranteed a generation of quality support from first, second, and third parties. Full stop.

felipeko

From Charttrack
Konami’s ‘Pro Evolution Soccer 2008’ keeps EA off the top of the All Formats Top 40 for a second week, selling twice as much as ‘FIFA 08’ despite a drop of 52% in sales from its launch week.

‘FIFA 08’ is No2 in the All Formats Chart for a third consecutive week, ahead of EA’s new franchise ‘The Simpsons Game’ which debuts at No3 on 4 formats. THQ’s ‘Ratatouille’ continues to sell well, increasing sales week-on-week since launch 5 weeks ago, rising one place from No5 to No4. Retailer bundling gives Master Chief a resurgence, helping to boost sales of ‘Halo 3’ by 46% and pushing Microsoft’s highly acclaimed title 3 places up the chart from No8 to No5. It looks like ‘Football Manager 2008’s season in the top flight of the All Formats Top 10 could be over soon as it slips 3 places to No6. EA’s ‘The Sims 2: Castaway’ breaks into the All Formats Top 10 in its second week of release, aided by the launch of the PSP version, giving EA three All Formats Top 10 titles this week.

Positions No8 to No10 in the All Formats Chart are all occupied by DS exclusives from Nintendo, with ‘More Brain Training’ and the original back in the Top 10 at No8 and No9 respectively, supported by a new advertising campaign featuring actors such as Patrick Stewart and Julie Walters. Time in the All Formats Top 10 for ‘The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass’ looks to be running out as it falls from No4 to No10. There are only 2 other new releases in the All Formats Top 40 – ‘Timeshift’ from Vivendi at No24 and another newly launched EA franchise ‘Hellgate: London’ at

I understand Metroid is in the midst of some very tough competition, and a lot of it is first person, but god damn it better have legs.

Best game on Wii until November 16. And then at worst case, it'll be second best.

FF_VIII

Banned
justjohn said:

That's what did happen.

ksamedi

cilonen said:
Which is why we get all the big releases first, especially for Nintendo titles.

Well, We got a lot of titles first as well (for example Tingle DS and Brain Training among others). Its a localisation issue.

Lightning said:
Oh yes, nice assumptions and excuses. You must be tired after spinning so fast.

We'll see in the end.

Who's spinning? What other major PS3 releases have charted since the release of FIFA 08?

Look at last week's charts, which mostly have week 42 numbers for every country.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203714&highlight=Charts

Every country aside from Germany has The Orange Box, Halo 3, or PGR4 on the charts, with FIFA and ProEvo being the only non-bundled games for PS3.

spwolf

cilonen said:

lol.

Europe is significantly larger market than Japan, and UK is only 20-25% of European sales. I dont know why Albania or Island is mentioned, but Spain, Germany, France and UK are around 80% of European gaming market.

Lightning

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
What does this dire prognostication even mean??
That we are not fortune tellers and we will see when Christmas 09 comes, which was stated in the post I quoted if you bothered to read before quoting.

Lightning said:
That we are not fortune tellers and we will see when Christmas 09 comes, which was stated in the post I quoted if you bothered to read before quoting.

What "End"??

I read the post. I'm asking you why anything beyond the support of software developers is so big a deal to you that there is an "endgame" involved.

Top Bottom