• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Xeke said:
Thats cause they are holding out the good shit for my boy Falco!

Falco is in so much danger of getting cut (it's not guaranteed like it is for Pichu or Dr. Mario, but it could easily happen!!). I'm scared :(

Xeke said:
Thats cause they are holding out the good shit for my boy Falco!

falco.jpg

I swear to god if they put Falco in I'm going to kick your ass with Fox online just for saying that.

Xeke

Banned
MrCheez said:
Falco is in so much danger of getting cut (it's not guaranteed like it is for Pichu or Dr. Mario, but it could easily happen!!). I'm scared :(

If Falco gets cut I may scream.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
All of you people gloating at the possibility of Ness being cut...

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF YOUR PRECIOUS CAPTAIN FALCON OR FALCO WAS CUT? HUH?

...Sorry about that. I'll calm down now.

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:
Lucas, on the other hand, is a much more unique character. Not to mention he (I think, seeing as I haven't played Mother 3 extensively) shares the spotlight as protagonist more evenly.

Which is why it's puzzling to me that they didn't give Lucas original B moves? I dunno, it just still seems strange to me.

(BTW I'm not trying to come off argumentative. Rather, I'm interested in playing detective on this... looking at the evidence and figuring out what we can)

Jiggy

-Ten days of updates have passed without a character profile. A drought like this has only been matched once before, in the timeframe between Sonic and King Dedede. Character profile updates are slowing down without a doubt--it's just a question of how much so.

-Mother bumps itself up to four Dojo updates, surpassing Sonic while matching Yoshi, Wario, and Amir0x's favorite series. Animal Crossing and Mother, sharing something in common--I'm sorry, Ami. I know it must hurt. :(
They also both star young protagonists. :(

-Despite having 23 character profiles, tonight served as our 13th special moves update--so we're certainly not out of the woods yet. Actually, I seriously doubt they'll get to the special moves of each character (even just among the ones we know now) before the Japanese release. Anyway, special move updates are now as common as game modes.

Iam Canadian

Cyan said:
Sweet, no more useless yoyo moves. Too bad that Ness is probably gone, though.

The yo-yo moves were good in SSB64. Unfortunately, like many other things in Ness' repertoire (not to mention Kirby's, my secondary...), it was gimped for Melee.

Iam Canadian said:
All of you people gloating at the possibility of Ness being cut...

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF YOUR PRECIOUS CAPTAIN FALCON OR FALCO WAS CUT? HUH?

...Sorry about that. I'll calm down now.

Captain Falcon must be in it if Samurai Goroh is an assist trophy. I can't wait to see the F-Zero track this time I hope it's based off Lighting from GX.

Jiggy37 said:
That's a possibility. Anyone read German, French, Japanese, Spanish, or Italian?
the spanish site makes it seem like ness is out

"Seguramente os acordaréis de Ness, un personaje que apareció en anteriores ediciones de Smash Bros. Pues bien, Lucas es muy parecido a él. De hecho, provienen de la misma familia de usuarios de PSI."

pretty much

"Surely you remember Ness,He was a character that came out in previous editions of Smash Bros. Well Lucas is very similar to him. They come from the same family of PSI users"

Crocodile

Jiggy37 said:
That's a possibility. Anyone read German, French, Japanese, Spanish, or Italian?

I'll agree with Koomaster here. Reading the French version of the site it only says that as we've known Ness from his appearance in the Smash Bros series we'll be able to quickly pick up (n' play) Lucas as the two closely resemble each other due to their their PK family heritage. Nothing in the French places any doubts in my mind if Ness is still in or not like the English (which I don't interpret to mean Ness is out either but I can easily see why people would see it that way).

However, the French is likely a translation from the Japanese (which I presume to be the original language) and the translator for the English and French sites may not be the same person(s). Translations are always subjective. There's definitely some leeway here.

Someone more than weeaboo than I should translate this:

"いままでのスマブラシリーズに登場していた“ネス”という
キャラクターがいますが、リュカはそれに近いです。
PKを使う、同族ですしね。"

Internet translation says:

"The character, which had appeared in former SmashBros series, and "Ness" is, but Luca (Lucas) is close to that. PK is used, it is the same family."

Firestorm said:
Well, here's hoping that he planned to cram in some extra characters. Clones are great bang for their buck. Less time for new character that open up entirely new gameplay possibilities. I mean, other than the idiots who can't get past the "OMG THE ANIMATION IS THE SAME!" people are happy with new characters.
Seconded,

more characters are always a good thing! :D

MrCheez

Where is sp0rsk, surely he can translate the original japanese text for us after he stops by for his daily title change :D

Iam Canadian

MrCheez said:
Which is why it's puzzling to me that they didn't give Lucas original B moves? I dunno, it just still seems strange to me.

(BTW I'm not trying to come off argumentative. Rather, I'm interested in playing detective on this... looking at the evidence and figuring out what we can)

Honestly, I don't know as much about Lucas' PSI spells as I'd like. I haven't played Mother 3 (I refuse to without a proper translation, be it an official one or Starmen's) and I don't want to spoil myself. I do know that his signature move is PK Love, which is renameable and (I think) similar to PSI Rockin' from Mother 2. If that's the case, then Sakurai may have found it difficult to apply to Brawl (an unconcentrated psychokinetic wave) and just went with a more Brawl-suitable attack. I think he also has something called PK Ground. Beyond that, though, I honestly don't know what he has or, for that matter, who uses PK Freeze, Thunder, Fire, and Magnet in Mother 3l. (They were Paula's spells in Mother 2)

Firestorm said:
Well, here's hoping that he planned to cram in some extra characters. Clones are great bang for their buck. Less time for new character that open up entirely new gameplay possibilities. I mean, other than the idiots who can't get past the "OMG THE ANIMATION IS THE SAME!" people are happy with new characters.

I guess, but at the same time I'd prefer some differences. For example, Falco being the slower yet stronger Fox in Melee really worked for me. However, Luigi was far too similar to Mario (green fireballs!?).

If there are clones, I say atleast give them defining attributes. I can't see any two characters having the same Final Smash, for one.

Jiggy

Can anyone see this update on the US English site yet?
Edit: Never mind, I got it.

Keru_Shiri said:
Personally, I think Sakurai will go back on what he said earlier and add every character from Melee into Brawl, somehow.
It wouldn't surprise me at all, honestly.
Hate to sound like a broken record, but this is the guy who said he and his team struggled to add characters for Melee, and said he'd struggle again for Brawl--then went and tossed three Pokemon into one character slot. Seems like "struggling" to me, sure.

MrCheez said:
I agree with you, that part's kind of bizarre. :(

Dark Ninja said:
the spanish site makes it seem like ness is out

"Seguramente os acordaréis de Ness, un personaje que apareció en anteriores ediciones de Smash Bros. Pues bien, Lucas es muy parecido a él. De hecho, provienen de la misma familia de usuarios de PSI."
pretty much

"surely you remember Ness,He was a character that came out in previous editions of Smash Bros. Well Lucas is very similar to him. They come from the same family of PSI users"
To me that sounds like it's not commenting either way, but thanks for the translation. :D

Milabrega

Italian Site Direct translate:

Lucas è molto simile a Ness, un personaggio che finora è sempre apparso nella serie di Smash Bros.. Entrambi usano gli Psico poteri

Lucas is very similar to Ness, a Character that has so far always appeared in the series of Smash Bros. Both use the Psycho Powers

Iam Canadian

underfooter said:
I guess, but at the same time I'd prefer some differences. For example, Falco being the slower yet stronger Fox in Melee really worked for me. However, Luigi was far too similar to Mario (green fireballs!?).

If there are clones, I say atleast give them defining attributes. I can't see any two characters having the same Final Smash, for one.

Ness (as we know him) has plenty of differences from Lucas. A different neutral B, completely different A attacks, no rope snake, a yo-yo and baseball bat...

MrCheez

Even something like PK Freeze seems like it could have been a totally unique move. Seen here, it is controlled the same way as Ness' Up-B (it just has a different effect upon collision).

IF Ness is still in (which I want him to be), it really seems like they got lazy with Lucas. Knowing the very little I know about Mother 3, I think they could have easily given him a unique set of special moves.

IF Ness is out... it makes perfect sense for Lucas to have adopted Ness' special moveset (with some tweaks and alterations... this is a sequel, after all!) as otherwise it would have been a waste to lose a unique moveset from th game

Milabrega said:
Italian Site Direct translate:

Lucas is very similar to Ness, a Character that has so far always appeared in the series of Smash Bros. Both use the Psycho Powers
Oh shiet Ness and Lucas are related to BISON

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well, um, look on the bright side, everybody -- Sakurai didn't expressly say Ness was out. I think there's still a very good possibility he's an unlockable clone, but that's just the feeling I get.

Iam Canadian

But...let's think positive for a moment.

Putting aside the Ness question...Lucas is still a Mother character. In other words, he represents a superb series of RPGs and he looks like an entertaining character to play as.

So, while I'm still not giving up the BELIEVE for Ness...I, for one, welcome our new Lucas overlords.

Iam Canadian said:
Ness (as we know him) has plenty of differences from Lucas. A different neutral B, completely different A attacks, no rope snake, a yo-yo and baseball bat...

I know but it's just kind of sad that Ness will be Lucas' clone. He was always the oddball of the crowd. If anything, I'd say give Ness some new B moves to compensate for Lucas stealing them.

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:
So, while I'm still not giving up the BELIEVE for Ness...I, for one, welcome our new Lucas overlords.

:lol

Well, you never know, Ness could still be in. I hope he is, Lucas and Ness would make a great duo for team matches. :) (Brawl is shaping up to have a bunch of great duos... Mario & Luigi, Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong, Link & Zelda... and hopefully Ness & Lucas!)

You know... for having DAILY updates for months, multiple conferences, just tons of information and media displayed to us for so long... you'd THINK there would be less mysteries still revolving around this game. :lol

Insaniac

There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users.

i know its only a translation but it sounds like Ness is out, I won't speculate though.

Milabrega

Insaniac said:
i know its only a translation but it sounds like Ness is out, I won't speculate though.

See, the italian site says nothing about up until now. So it could be a problem in translation. We need a Japanese reader to tell us for sure.

Iam Canadian

Ness with a new moveset would definitely be a good idea. It's too bad that most of his B moves aren't even his in the Mother games. Why not give him some Ninten stuff? 4'th D Slip, PK Beam, the boomerang...bam, completely new moveset there.

Let him retain PK Flash, though, seeing as it's the one PK move that's legitimately his.

I have a feeling there will be some awesome twist at the end of subspace emissary that will bring a lot of our fears to a halt.

I mean, as much as the site gives away Sakurai-san will certainly surprise us. I expect that one of the surprises will be an older character we thought got the boot come back in a glorious, glorious, glorious way.

Jiggy

Thanks for the translation efforts, everyone. :)

Firestorm said:
Hoping you're right. Clones > most things.

justchris said:
Guys, if Ness is out, what would make you think Falco still has some sort of chance?
Better-selling series.
But actually, if Ness is out--which I don't think is true--I suppose you would have a pretty strong point. Changing a physical moveset makes Ness/Lucas absolute non-clones of each other, since there are so many fewer B moves than A moves (and throws, but we don't know their status yet). And if they were cutting non-clones for no particular reason, then there wouldn't be much ground to stand on when expecting semi-clones like Falco to stay in.
But, again, since I don't think we've seen evidence of cutting any non-clones it's sort of a moot argument.

Insaniac said:
two possibilities:

Ness is out

Ness is in, but with new moveset,
Come to think of it, you're right. There's nothing to say that a returning Ness would have PSI Magnet, PK Fire, or PK Thunder just because he had them before. Actually, considering that PK Fire/Thunder were never his in the first place, it'd be pretty cool if those were gone.

Firestorm

underfooter said:

Slower/stronger (is Falco stronger? never really noticed) is just the beginning for most of them. Luigi had a lot to differentiate himself from Mario. His aerials behaved completely differently, his projectile (green fireball) was pretty useless as it travelled straight horizontally, and of course the biggest thing: his floatiness and low traction. He slides like crazy and could basically get off 2 aerials in the air before landing.

Again, you need to look past the fact that the animations are the same.

NichM

Banned
Guys, never mind Ness. Isn't this the first we've seen of Tom Nook in that Smashville shot vs. Yoshi? I guess this means he's not playable... ;_;

MGrant

Only thing keeping me from jumping on board with the "Ness is getting a moveset that makes more sense" crowd is that this moveset for Lucas makes no sense, either. He doesn't learn ANY of those PK moves, nor does he ever use a rope snake.

Firestorm

French site doesn't seem to have anything that makes it sound like Ness it out either, but my French is pretty rusty.

Vous connaissiez Ness depuis son apparition dans la série Smash Bros, vous allez donc vite adopter Lucas, qui lui ressemble beaucoup.

You know Ness since he appeared in the Smash Bros series, therefore you will quickly adopt Lucas, who resembles him a lot.

Iam Canadian

NichM said:
Guys, never mind Ness. Isn't this the first we've seen of Tom Nook in that Smashville shot vs. Yoshi? I guess this means he's not playable... ;_;

This isn't new. He's been present in previous screenshots.

Xeke

Banned
Firestorm said:
Slower/stronger (is Falco stronger? never really noticed) is just the beginning for most of them. Luigi had a lot to differentiate himself from Mario. His aerials behaved completely differently, his projectile (green fireball) was pretty useless as it travelled straight horizontally, and of course the biggest thing: his floatiness and low traction. He slides like crazy and could basically get off 2 aerials in the air before landing.

Again, you need to look past the fact that the animations are the same.

Yes Falco is slower but stronger and he's so much fun to play. They have lots of other differences too that I don't want to get into but Fox's first jump is the shortest in the game while Falco's is the highest in the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Zeed said:
But that wording..."up until now"...it sounds like Ness is out, but there's just enough leeway there for interpretation.
Yeah, that specific phrase is the main culprit...anyone care to translate the original Japanese and see if it says something different?

NichM

Banned
Ah, never mind, then. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention before, but I knew someone here would be. :lol

Firestorm

NichM said:

Known ever since the unveiling of the stage.

Milabrega

Firestorm said:
French site doesn't seem to have anything that makes it sound like Ness it out either, but my French is pretty rusty.

You know Ness since he appeared in the Smash Bros series, therefore you will quickly adopt Lucas, who resembles him a lot.

Yeah my French sucks but I don't see anything close to 'up until now', which is the indicator in the english update that he could be out. Although the choice of "vite adopter' is a little worrysome for Ness fans. [quickly adopt to?]. Creating the doubt for Ness will only increase the hype for his reveal closer to, or after release anyways, smart update if he still is in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom