• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 46, 2007 (Assassins > CoD 4 > Galaxy)

AnIco

Neomoto said:
I have yet to see a Galaxy commercial (Netherlands). Where as I've seen a lot of Zelda: PH commercials for instance lately. Is Nintendo advertising the game in the UK or relying on brand / word of mouth?
I haven't seen one. On the other hand, Nintendo are promoting the fuck out of the Brain Training games; I don't think I've ever seen such blanket advertising for any other videogame.

R0nn

So what will we see next week? At least Guitar Hero III across multiple platforms. What about Mass Effect? Could that chart within the top 5, or is it too early?

justjohn

R0nn said:
So what will we see next week? At least Guitar Hero III across multiple platforms. What about Mass Effect? Could that chart within the top 5, or is it too early?
next week is definetely mass effect to round off a stunning year for the 360. lets see what next year brings :D

Danielsan

Glad to see that Assasin's on top. Though it definitely isn't the greatest game in that list (it's pretty damn flawed) it still deserves to sell well. Now I can be rest assured that Ubi is creating a sequel that will continue the story.

iidesuyo

Phife Dawg said:
Ratchet :(.

It's the same for me as with MP3 (no store around has it and they don't know exactly when they'll get new stock). I could probably find it if I make another drive around but got no time for that. Mario will have to wait :(. Nintendo needs to get their act together with first party software. First MP3 and now SMG - it's DVDs ffs. And it'll only hurt sales.

In what region do you live? You also said there were shortages of MP3 which I never experienced. There have been staples of SMG (I'm not exaggerating) in the local Media Markt (Munich).

justjohn

some good news for ratchet
netherlands
DW VW AW TITEL MAATSCHAPPIJ
1 — 1 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION PC
2 — 1 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION XBOX 360
3 — 1 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION PS3
4 — 1 ASSASSIN’S CREED UBISOFT XBOX 360
5 — 1 DRAGON BALL Z/TENKAICHI 3 ATARI PS2
6 — 1 RATCHET & CLANK/TOOLS OF DESTRUCTION SONY PS3
7 1 4 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008 KONAMI PS2
8 3 8 FIFA 2008 ELECTRONIC ARTS PS2
9 2 7 MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO WII
10 — 1 ASSASSIN’S CREED UBISOFT PS3

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
AltogetherAndrews said:
To garner 33% of sales? Is that supposed to be a low number or something?
I thought 33% also includes the PC version. no?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
AltogetherAndrews said:
Except the PC version isn't out yet
ok, thanks for correction. I think 33% of sales going to PS3 is very good.

I have watched my son playing AC. Graphically a good game. So far my impression is that it can become repetitive at times (especially all those episodes with saving civilians), but maybe it will improve when it comes to the actual missions.

Grecco said:
Reviews dont equal sales.
Did you forget to read the "flagship first party title which stars the platforms most recognised mascot" bit?
Must have because your post is worthless.

Ronok said:
I was kind of dreading this when I went in and got the game on Friday... Game still had so many copies left and it just didn't feel like it had as much attention as you would expect... I mean the game was at the front of the store, but, I didn't see anyone else buying it. :-/ After playing it I'm actually really dissapointed, the two games I've played this year and really thought "this deserves to have amazing sales" are Portal and SMG. Simply amazing games....

Oh well I expect it to keep on selling, but, if it doesn't fair better then in Japan I'll be really quite upset... :-/
Apparently the marketing campaign for this doesn't start until today here in the UK so hopefully that will push more sales. I've seen bugger all in the way of marketing so maybe it is not a surprise that joe public (probably the majority of Wii owners) don't know that this is out or what it is about.
I agree that it will keep on selling though.
The UK does have pretty awful taste in games as far as it goes however. I just want it to sell really well so we get more of the same. Such a good game!

ksamedi said:
Well it will probably have a very high attach rate. More than Zelda I think. But not being number one doesn't really mean anything, we also don't get to see the numbers. It could have sold a couple of thousand less than Assasins and Cod 4 which sells on 2 platforms. Also, Cod 4 deserves every single one of those sales, its a great multiplayer game.
360 only stuff already mentioned...
Yeah CoD4 does deserve to sell well but still, so does Mario. I am not sure what the Wii vs 360 LTDs are for the UK though. At least it had a better début than in Ireland!
Like i said, good sales but i was hoping for more. This sorta game should appeal to pretty much the whole Wii owning populace. It's fairly easy going to start and you can finish the game without too much hassle, yet has some much more tricky bits for others.

jesusraz

justjohn said:
some good news for ratchet
netherlands
DW VW AW TITEL MAATSCHAPPIJ
1 — 1 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION PC
2 — 1 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION XBOX 360
3 — 1 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION PS3
4 — 1 ASSASSIN’S CREED UBISOFT XBOX 360
5 — 1 DRAGON BALL Z/TENKAICHI 3 ATARI PS2
6 — 1 RATCHET & CLANK/TOOLS OF DESTRUCTION SONY PS3
7 1 4 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008 KONAMI PS2
8 3 8 FIFA 2008 ELECTRONIC ARTS PS2
9 2 7 MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO WII
10 — 1 ASSASSIN’S CREED UBISOFT PS3

What's the source for this chart? I've always wondered where to get a Dutch list from. Do you know if More English Training made the Top 10?

spwolf

Gadfly said:
ok, thanks for correction. I think 33% of sales going to PS3 is very good.

I have watched my son playing AC. Graphically a good game. So far my impression is that it can become repetitive at times (especially all those episodes with saving civilians), but maybe it will improve when it comes to the actual missions.

1/4 of user base, 1/3 of sales... PS3 version sold really good.

lockload

The PS3 does not have a 1/4 of the installed user base in the UK compared to 360 its about the same

If we take sonys position in the bluray vs hd-dvd war the ps3 should be cancelled based on 33% assassins creed sales on PS3

Elios83

Mrbob said:
Thumbs up on AC sales.

UBI Montreal needs one more chance to flesh out a sequel.

If you look at the ending of AC it's pretty clear that a sequel has been planned since the beginning. Only a BG&E caliber bomb would have made them change idea, but I'm happy the game is havin commercial success because a)it's a great game, b) they seem to have a really interesting story to tell (Dan Brown like).

lockload said:
The PS3 does not have a 1/4 of the installed user base in the UK compared to 360 its about the same

If we take sonys position in the bluray vs hd-dvd war the ps3 should be cancelled based on 33% assassins creed sales on PS3
I'm pretty sure it's not. Got some figures to back that up?

Kamakazie! said:
Yeah CoD4 does deserve to sell well but still, so does Mario. I am not sure what the Wii vs 360 LTDs are for the UK though. At least it had a better début than in Ireland!
Like i said, good sales but i was hoping for more. This sorta game should appeal to pretty much the whole Wii owning populace. It's fairly easy going to start and you can finish the game without too much hassle, yet has some much more tricky bits for others.

You know what, unless you're a Ratchet/Insomniac fan, don't gripe about this or that game deserving better sales than it's gotten.

Elios83

lockload said:

Not 1/4 but 1/3.
500k vs 1,5m. Basically the installed base adavantage 360 has in Europe is located all in UK, 1m unit difference is enough to assure higher 360 sales with mutliplatform titles, actually I'm suprised at the UK performance of PS3 games like PES,FIFA,COD4 and AC, really good sales.

lockload said:

Lies. There was a news story recently that stated the 360 and PS3 were selling neck and neck in the UK for 2007 so far, but the 360 holds a big lead overall thanks to 2005 and 2006 sales.

Belgorim

Elios83 said:
Not 1/4 but 1/3.
500k vs 1,5m. Basically the installed base adavantage 360 has in Europe is located all in UK, 1m unit difference is enough to assure higher 360 sales with mutliplatform titles, actually I'm suprised at the UK performance of PS3 games like PES,FIFA,COD4 and AC, really good sales.
Shouldnt be that surprised, all of those games had playstation-commercials. Sony realy did all they could to get the sales they did for those titles.

Last figures I have are pretty old, June 9th to be exact, but they have the PS3 at 280k and the 360 at 119k. To me that is pretty much 1/4, but the PS3 has not been static in that time and I wouldn't be surprised if it has cut into the 360s lead somewhat. How much is up for debate, unless anyone has some more recent Chart-Track figures.

I'd say its about the PS3 is around 1/3 of the 360 userbase at the moment, the recent price drop of the 60gb, plus the impending realisation that BC-less PS3s will be gone, has inspired a lot of sales in the UK.

spwolf said:

Jesus every week you say the same thing to defend PS3 sales "userbase, userbase, userbase". Developers work in copies sold, not "relative to userbase".

There is actually quite a bit of Mario Galaxy advertising on TV in the UK. You'll see them soon enough if you haven't already.

I think the fact that it's sold faster than the wii's most popular launch title is very encouraging. COD4 and AC's successes don't make that any less of an achievement really.

It didn't have to be number 1

spwolf

Elios83 said:
Not 1/4 but 1/3.

ppl did not get it - 1/4 of the total between them, or 3x more for 360 as installed base... vs 1/3 of total AC sales, or 2x more for 360.

909er

Seriously? 3rd place? Behind week 2 of COD4 (360)? Really?

I'm surprised at SMG's sales. I fully expected it to be a Halo calibre title (not as front loaded of course, but big enough to beat out any competition for the week with a few more over the rest of the year). A 3rd place debut is a bit surprising, and I wonder if a trend about the Wii demographic can be inferred from SMG's sales in Japan and UK. I guess we'll see how it holds up next week.

iidesuyo said:
In what region do you live? You also said there were shortages of MP3 which I never experienced. There have been staples of SMG (I'm not exaggerating) in the local Media Markt (Munich).
NRW. It's not a huge city but it's population is 300k. We don't have a MM though :(. Only Saturn but they were sold out as well. I know how MM works, they always have huge loads of everything. It's quite a long drive to the next one though.

spwolf said:
I don't think Ubi cares if they sold to 1/3 or 1/4 of any given userbase. All they care about is total numbers. If totals for 360 are better (they will be) it'll remain the way it's now - develop for 360, port to PS3. As far as I understand AC has problems on PS3 (freeze-ups, tearing, framerate problems in later levels) which are likely due to it being just a port.

Phife Dawg said:
I don't think Ubi cares if they sold to 1/3 or 1/4 of any given userbase. All they care about is total numbers. If totals for 360 are better (they will be) it'll remain the way it's now - develop for 360, port to PS3. As far as I understand AC has problems on PS3 (freeze-ups, tearing, framerate problems in later levels) which are likely due to it being just a port.
Of course, Ubisoft caring about a platform that have increased their game sales a 50% is a bad thing, no?

If the PS3 version of AC suck they will lose a lot of potential sales of it's sequels in the PS3. The same happened with the Splinter Cell saga, the first sold better in the PS2 than in the Xbox but you can fool people once, not twice (sports and casual games excluded). It's very hard for a sequel of a "bad" game to sell better than it's prequel even if it is a great game.

AC sold well because of its quality TV advert (thanks to Sony), but the fact that SMG could not even beat COD4 in its 2nd week when the Wii has a higher installed base just confirms to me at least the Wii is a Wii sports playing machine.

Kildace

Hammer24 said:
BTW: Where are the "Graphs of Doom ´n´ stuff"? Get on it! :D

This is what I came to see in this thread and so far I'm very disappointed! Do you people have lives or something?!

Lobster

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
AC sold well because of its quality TV advert (thanks to Sony), but the fact that SMG could not even beat COD4 in its 2nd week when the Wii has a higher installed base just confirms to me at least the Wii is a Wii sports playing machine.

Oh sure it does..

Quote me on this. Super Mario Galaxy WILL beat both AC, COD4 next week, the week after and the week after that. Basically, every week starting next week, SMG will top those 2 games.

Slavik81

BishopLamont said:
Jesus every week you say the same thing to defend PS3 sales "userbase, userbase, userbase". Developers work in copies sold, not "relative to userbase".
Even in absolute terms the PS3 version sold respectably well. Not as well as the 360 version, but quite well nevertheless.

tiong_fi

Finnish charts 5-18.11.2007

1 UUSI Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) PC PS3 Xbox360
2 7 The Simpsons Videopeli / Game (Electronic Arts) DS PS2 PS3 PSP Wii Xbox360
3 5 Crash Of The Titans (Vivendi Games) DS PS2 Wii Xbox360
4 UUSI Assassin´s Creed (Ubisoft) PS3 Xbox360
5 3 NHL 08 (Electronic Arts) PC PS2 PS3 Xbox360
6 UUSI Crysis (Electronic Arts) PC
7 UUSI Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) Wii
8 2 Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (Electonic Arts) PC Xbox360
9 1 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami) PC PS2 PS3 Xbox360
10 10 Rottatouille / Ratatouille (THQ) DS PC PS2 PS3 PSP Wii Xbox360

DS
1 1 The Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
2 UUSI The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts)
3 2 Pokémon Diamond (Nintendo)
4 3 Pokémon Pearl (Nintendo)
5 4 New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
6 5 Nintendogs Dalmatialainen (Nintendo)
7 7 Ratatouille (THQ)
8 9 Horsez 2 Farm Adventures (Ubisoft)
9 RE Nintendogs Chihuahua (Nintendo)
10 UUSI The Sims 2: Castaway (Electronic Arts)

PC
1 UUSI Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
2 UUSI Crysis (Electronic Arts)
3 1 Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (Electonic Arts)
4 5 The Sims 2: Matkoilla (Electronic Arts)
5 2 Hellgate: London (Electronic Arts)
6 4 Counter-Strike: Source (Electronic Arts)
7 3 The Witcher (Atari)
8 6 Football Manager 2008 (Sega)
9 RE NHL 08 (Electronic Arts)
10 UUSI Minä Eläinlääkärinä (Pan Vision)

PS2
1 4 The Simpsons Videopeli (Electronic Arts)
2 2 Crash Of The Titans (Vivendi Games)
3 3 NHL 08 (Electronic Arts)
4 7 Singstar Legendat (Sony)
5 6 Singstar Rock Ballads (Sony)
6 8 The Sims 2: Autiosaari (Electonic Arts)
7 UUSI Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Atari)
8 5 Rottatouille (THQ)
9 1 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
10 RE Singstar 90´s (Sony)

PS3
2 UUSI Assassin´s Creed (Ubisoft)
3 UUSI Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Sony)
4 UUSI The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts)
5 2 NHL 08 (Electronic Arts)
6 5 Formula One Championship Edition (Sony)
7 3 Heavenly Sword (Sony)
8 1 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
9 UUSI WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 (THQ)
10 6 Colin McRae: Dirt (Codemasters)

PSP
1 UUSI The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts)
2 1 Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters (Sony)
3 8 Ratatouille (THQ)
4 2 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions (Square Enix)
5 UUSI The Sims 2: Castaway (Electronic Arts)
6 6 FIFA 08 (Electronic Arts)
7 7 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (Take 2)
8 UUSI Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (Sega)
9 3 Sega Rally (Sega)
10 RE Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (Electronic Arts)

WII
1 UUSI Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
2 1 Metroid Prime: Corruption (Nintendo)
3 UUSI The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts)
4 2 Super Paper Mario (Nintendo)
5 6 Crash Of The Titans (Vivendi Games)
6 3 Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
7 5 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
8 4 Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Capcom)
9 UUSI The Sims 2: Castaway (Electronic Arts)
10 9 Carnival (2K Games)

XBOX360
2 UUSI Assassin´s Creed (Ubisoft)
3 3 Halo 3 (Microsoft)
4 7 The Simpsons Videopeli (Electronic Arts)
5 2 Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (Electonic Arts)
6 4 NHL 08 (Electronic Arts)
7 1 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
8 8 Naruto: Rise of a Ninja (Ubisoft)
9 9 Crash Of The Titans (Vivendi Games)
10 5 Skate (Electronic Arts)

MidiSurf

Banned
Finnish all platform list.

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2. The Simpsons Videopeli
3. Crash of the Titans
4. Assassin’s Creed
5. NHL 08
6. Crysis
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. The Orange Box
9. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
10. Ratatouille

EDIT: Dang I was too late :(.

Dahbomb

R&C made a fucking massive bomba. This is a bigger one than Lair. Holy crap.... this sucks ass if you ask me. At least SMG is getting respectable sales though not as high as expected (hardly surprising, people overestimate Wii's hardcore fanbase).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dahbomb said:
R&C made a fucking massive bomba. This is a bigger one than Lair. Holy crap.... this sucks ass if you ask me. At least SMG is getting respectable sales though not as high as expected (hardly surprising, people overestimate Wii's hardcore fanbase).

People over-estimated the appeal of platformers in this day and age.

Top Bottom