• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma

Aw, missed him. Oh well!

I was all feeling smart and clever when I instantly figured "guess she doesn't like dad" when he mentioned her, so I was expecting something to happen, but that punch really caught me off guard :lol multiple angle shots and everything. Never really had a problem with loli teachers, but I can't say I like the idea either, so whatever.

I was starting to really like Yoshino so her going away is a bummer.

I wonder what the bonus chapter will be, at least it makes up for no chapter :(
tumblr_mv11ufc6El1qbxqfpo1_500.png

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
International Jump TOC for October 21st 2013

Cross Manage (Special One-Shot)
Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Toriko
Nisekoi
World Trigger
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal
Dragon Ball

Previews: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign and One-Punch Man Bonus Chapter

Strange, no comments about One Piece being off next week.

World Trigger 35
tumblr_mv12paUV8A1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Wow, how could Mikumo still lose even with Asteroid. Kazama is just as epic as I wanted but the whole thing felt like such a waste with Mikumo doing nothing to get around Chameleon Trigger. Though I will say the chapter was still intense. Looking forward to Mikumo hopefully landing at least one hit.

LOL Just got PWNED by Grimace but I managed to take out his Mega Gengar.

But thats what happens when you only have one badge and no pokemon over level 30 hahaha.

I could have done better but meh. GG Grimace! :D

Will battle again when I have decent pokemon.

Sekirei

Well this looks to end very soon. Maybe by the end of the year.

Nordicus

A Bride's Story (Otoyomegatari) volume 1

I actually managed to find a physical copy around here, hardcover no less, so I've been re-reading this.

It hasn't exactly hit me before, but my god, Amir is such an amazing character. How I did not adore this caring, energetic, subtly playful and occasionally needlessly worrying tomboy from the first chapters before is a mystery. I only started loving the series when Smith and the twin sisters got their own stories

Akito

A Bride's Story (Otoyomegatari) volume 1

I actually managed to find a physical copy around here, hardcover no less, so I've been re-reading this.

It hasn't exactly hit me before, but my god, Amir is such an amazing character. How I did not adore this caring, energetic, subtly playful and occasionally needlessly worrying tomboy from the first chapters before is a mystery. I only started loving the series when Smith and the twin sisters got their own stories
Amir best waifu, literally.
But yeah, the hardcovers are great, totally worth the money.

Soma

His dad is such a fucking troll LOLOLOLOL

I'm convinced he knew the meeting would go wrong once his name was uttered or maybe he's as dense as his son in regards to relationships (fumio seemed to realize that it was a bad idea to do what he said but still went along with it ).

now with the guy who was shown in the election candidates chapter appearing it should be interesting

Kimi no Iru Machi 248

Seo must be referring to his own series when Adachi is talking about manga.

Also, there is a possible direction this series could take with cheating just to manufacture drama. Hope it doesn't turn out that way.

Wagatsuma-san Wa Ore No Yome 39

Continue to love this series. One of the few serious chapters in the series and it was a bit sudden how the two split, but it wasn't a bad end.

LeleSocho

Banned
Sooooo...
How often (if ever) you re-read old stuff? Sincerely i never do that because i don't want to destroy the memories of the feeling i had when i read that thing for the first time.

Akito

Sooooo...
How often (if ever) you re-read old stuff? Sincerely i never do that because i don't want to destroy the memories of the feeling i had when i read that thing for the first time.
I sometimes do that with series I really like or those from my childhood.

Kurita

Oh I also re-read My Neighbors the Yamadas, like I just open one of the three big volumes, read a few "strips", have a good laugh...

scy

Sooooo...

I re-read stuff at random when I'm eating or just bored. Usually pick a random chapter of something and go.

Sooooo...

I'm in the process of re-reading Hoshin Engi. And it's still amazing.

I sometimes reread old stuff if the mood strikes me.

Sooooo...

Every so often but it depends on how long the series is. Like I've read all of Full Metal, Yotsuba, and Eyeshield multiple times but I've maybe only read GTO maybe twice.

If we're talking about specific chapters and arcs that's a different story altogether. Most read arc is probably the Nagas v DevilBats arc, the Troll arc in Berserk, revealing Robin's past in One Piece, and the angel arc in GTO. I mostly read certain arcs/chapters over and over.

I almost never reread the first chapter(s) of series unless I want to read the entire thing through again, no clue why.

dramatis

Shokugeki no Soma 44

Nice. Although that's not really a loli teacher, her boobs are too big to qualify as loli.

Grimace will be glad to know that this is probably how Tadokoro is going to end up, alone in a shabby building with hate for Souma lol.

Sooooo...

Usually wait a few years and it's like rediscovering them all over again. I stopped reading Negima at like vol 18 around 4 + years back and re-read it over the summer after having forgotten a lot of plot points and details and it was wonderful all over again. I had forgotten how detailed and beautiful the art was.

upandaway

Sooooo...
Most recently I've reread the Ant Arc of HxH (that was before the manga came back for the finale). My memory is terrible so I reread stuff all the time. I reread OP like twice over and Jojo a bunch too. Also reread Baby Steps when I came back to it after a long break.

I wanna go through another Jojo reread (just SO and SBR), OP too probably, and Ippo. I remember so little of Ippo, it's been almost decade now.

Reread part of Bakuman, select volumes of Naruto, Tsubasa, Spiral, and a few more series awhile back, usually when traveling across the state or down the coast when I have restrained access to recharge stations, so I just take some of my favorite printed mangas.

Kusagari

Kimi No Iru Machi 248

THE REAL LIFE ARC STARTS NOW!

And it will begin by introducing another girl who inexplicably wants Haruto's dick!

wonzo

Banned
I've watched 3 episodes of Aku no Hana and kinda want to read the manga now. Should I be sensible and just start it from the beginning again, or could I pick up from where episode 3 left off and be okay?
Finish off the anime first as its better than the manga.

dumbyugi

Sooooo...

I re-read stuff all the time. I even re-read ongoing series if I like them enough.

bigkrev

I'll re-read One-shots or short, single volume series on a whim if i'm in the bathroom or something. Re-reading anything longer than 5 volumes though is a massive undertaking, and I wonder if my time would be better focused on progressing forward in stuff I want to read (ie, i'm about 300 chapters into One Piece)

dumbyugi

To Love-Ru Darkness bangaihen 15

Didn't someone just recently say that the series still needed to make Celine grow up? I wonder if it will happen more permanently in the main series some time?

Erigu

The animation and artstyle of the anime is just blasphemous compared to the drawings of the Manga.
Regardless of how you feel about the decision to use rotoscoping (I personally think it paid off), I'd say the strong direction and sound design elevated the material. Also, Pablo.

LeleSocho

Banned
The animation and artstyle of the anime is just blasphemous compared to the drawings of the Manga.

Seriously

What is this shit

That artstyle is one of the best thing that ever happened to the anime industry in the recent years.
And i didn't even watched a single episode of it.

wonzo

Banned
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFHAHAHAHAHA
Even the Author was in on the whole thing and approved of it:
AnimeSuki said:
In short (note that this is a quick & dirty summary):
- At first Nagahama (the director) refused the offer to direct the adaptation, because he thought that simply turning this manga into a pretty, clean-looking anime would be pointless. He says that he believes that when the mangaka draws this story he's seeing something "else" which he expresses as a manga. So there would be no point in simply presenting it in animated form, at that rate you might as well just read the manga and be done with it.
- He thought if it was to be adapted at all, it should be done as a live drama. When he was offered the job the second time, he pitched the idea of using rotoscope. He was aware that the result would be different from the manga.
- Oshimi (the mangaka) says Nagahama is right about the way he creates the manga: the original story is something that exists in his head, and he draws what he sees in his mind. So basically the anime and the manga are two different versions of the story that exists in Oshimi's head. By the way, he was also aware that due to the rotoscope the anime would look different from his work, and he thought it was an interesting idea.
- Oshimi also says that he thinks Nagahama has a very deep insight into the story, and firmly believes that he's taking it in the right direction. He also very much approves of Nagahama's wish of the anime leaving the viewers with a scar.
- Oshimi was pretty much "in" on the whole thing, they tested the rotoscope method on him.
- The interviewer asks about the impact the visuals would have on viewers, and Nagahama says he's well aware that a lot of people will go "what the fuck" and "this is gross," "I hate this, I'm not watching this." But he's pretty much okay with that, too, because he thinks it's fine as long as it leaves an impact on people. Viewers may dismiss it right away, but some may check it out later and find it interesting, or they may come across the manga, recognize the title, and read that.
- Oshimi says that he once got a fan letter from a high school girl who wrote that when she read the manga in middle school she thought it was stupid, but she tried to read it again when she was older and she found it very good. Nagahama says that this is what he's going for, to leave an impact, even if it's negative. He's trying to create something that one can't just ignore or dismiss.
- Oshimi also says that the anime has many scenes that he wishes he would've drawn the way they are in the anime, for example a scene with Kasuga and Nakamura in the classroom.
- Also, he confesses he's writing the manga with the intention of murdering the readers with it (metaphorically, of course), thinks the anime is doing the same, and relishes the idea of the viewers getting slaughtered, jokingly of course. (lol #1)

They leave the following messages to the fans:
- Oshimi: He guarantees that those who feel very strongly about Aku no hana will enjoy the anime. However, chara-moe types, those who go "Nakamura-san, unf unf" will probably feel betrayed. (lol #2)
- Nagahama: Since it's so different from the usual anime, he can't say that everyone will love it. But those who watch the first episode and think "I want to see more" will not have their expectations betrayed.

(Source)

Seriously

What is this shit
A shitty cherry-picked bunch of stills that completely ignore the sense of atmosphere the Anime series built up which completely nailed the sense of dread and self-loathing in a way the manga never could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom