• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiggy37 said:
I doomed us, you guys. I'm sorry. I just had to mention two days ago that we wouldn't be getting any more how to play updates. :(

Naw, it's the people who keep saying character plz. We have to stop doing that. He knows what we want, and he's no longer giving it to us.

Shinobix said:
Stop complaining, it was a decent update.

If you like Lucas.

Mastering the chargeable subset of special moves is important.

Take the following moves, for example.

basic09_071123a-l.jpg

Link’s Standard Special Move: The Hero’s Bow

basic09_071123b-l.jpg

Pikachu’s Side Special Move: Skull Bash

These moves can be charged up by holding down the special-move button, increasing both speed and power. If you press the button down firmly and then release, you’ll unleash the move at full strength! When you first try out a character you aren’t familiar with, this should be the first thing you try.

But, there are also some moves that continue charging even after you release the button... Huh???

basic09_071123c-l.jpg

DK’s Standard Special Move: Giant Punch

basic09_071123d-l.jpg

Samus’s Standard Special Move: Charge Shot

...among others.

For these moves, when you press the special-move button again, it unleashes the move at the power level you charged it to.

Also, with these moves, you can move around while charged by charging the move to the maximum limit or by pressing the shield button to cancel the charge.

basic09_071123e-l.jpg

Look! Smoke shoots out from his head when he’s reached maximum charge!

Do your best to build up the maximum charge, then unleash it at just the right moment! These are superimportant techniques for characters like DK and Samus. Don’t forget them.

If Monday opened up with "play as Assist Trophies", and confirmed that Saki, Grey Fox, Samurai Goroh, Lyndis, Little Mac, and Knuckle Joe would eventually become playable somehow, that'd be hawt.

Jiggy

-November 23rd brings us the Dojo's 21st double update. (As I said last time, I'm now going by official tracking.) It's also the second double update of the week, and the fifth double update in the past three weeks. You might almost think that November had been good, if only the double updates had been, you know, a bit more substantial. >_>

-Lucas' final smash serves as the 5th Mother update, pulling that series ahead of Yoshi, Wario, and Animal Crossing for Dojo representation.

-Final smashes and how to play have now hit 17 updates each, pulling ahead of game modes while tying with stages for second-most-common updates. Depending on whether you love or hate final smashes and how to play updates, this might just be a testament to the quality of November either way.

-Known characters without a final smash update are now reduced to King Dedede, Snake, Sonic, Wario, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus. Brace for impact if you wish.

Edit: Forgot.
-21 days since a character. That's the equivalent of three regular weeks, more than the equivalent of four weeks of Dojo updates, and also we now have a literal four weeks that contained no update (as opposed to yesterday, when we had to carry over one Friday into a new week). Delight!

Rindain

Banned
Oh, there are some many future lame updates to be had!

For example:

--Advance Wars and Drill Dozer assist trophies.
--Sonic, Zelda, Wario, King Dedede, Snake and Zero Suit Samus final smashes
--soccer ball
--crawling
--wall jumping
--air dodging
--title screen
--'Veteran pokemon' (snorlax, etc), Gardevoire, Torchic, Kyogre, Bonsley, & Latios/Latias pokeballs

That's 19 possible crappy updates right there.

Crazy how Lucas' FS wrecked the entire stage like that. I wonder if this is a nature of Skyworld (I remember it being destructible to an extent), or if Lucas can break other stages as well?

Dreavus

Very cool final smash! Even more so probably because we haven't seen it before. Explaining how charged moves work seems a bit unnecessary, but then again which "how to play" doesn't.

Shinobix said:
Are you expecting the whole game to be a megaton or what? Jesus.

The whole game is a megaton. But we got spoiled by October, and nearly every November update has been atrocious. So, it's kinda hard not to complain. Yes, we are aware it's more than most companies would do that. Yes, we like it. But a sucky update is still a sucky update, even if it's more than other companies do.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Shinobix said:
Are you expecting the whole game to be a megaton or what? Jesus.

Well I'd like to see an update featuring a new stage, or some music, or a characters' moves that we haven't seen before, or I don't know... a new character!

Lucas' final smash is pretty cool, admittedly, but I personally don't care about the character in general. Furthermore, learning about how we can charge up B moves is boring. The only good I can take from it is the knowledge that it can't be used as a stand-alone update now.

Rindain said:
Oh, there are some many future lame updates to be had!

For example:

--Sonic, Zelda, Wario, King Dedede, Snake and Zero Suit Samus final smashes

I'd like to see all of these, actually. Well, Wario's would be kinda "meh" but everyone else's interests me.

Dreavus

Rotanibor Eht said:
Dedede's final smash would actually make me excited. So screw you guys I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, I don't mind final smash updates if they're about characters we didn't see at E for all. I also can't wait for Dedede's... and I remain very curious about Zelda's as well.

Shinobix

Dreavus said:
Yeah, I don't mind final smash updates if they're about characters we didn't see at E for all. I also can't wait for Dedede's... and I remain very curious about Zelda's as well.

Maybe a massive Din's Fire?

Rindain

Banned
Dreavus said:
and I remain very curious about Zelda's as well.

Sheik downgraded to Final Smash confirmed total!

I'd like to see all of these, actually. Well, Wario's would be kinda "meh" but everyone else's interests me.

We've already seen Sonic and Zero Suit Samus' final smashes, and we can pretty much guess that Wario's will be the giant megaton fart seen in the first trailer. I am interested in Snake and Zelda's FS's, though, although they aren't nearly as interesting to me as any new stage, music, or character. Or most assist trophies.

Final smashes as a whole don't really interest me, and once the novelty is gone, I'll probably take them out. But, I could be wrong, and I could find them amazing. But as I feel now, I just think meh, when I see them.

SantaC

Gold Member
Firestorm said:
3 weeks of crap now. And only about 3 weeks until the entire starting lineup is on Coro Coro...

you actually believe this? They will list all existing characters that has been revealed on smashbros site.

dont get excited.

Jiggy

Tracking the Posting Rate of the Dojo Update Thread

Well, guys, I went ahead and threw together the statistics and actually we haven't slowed down as much as one might think...

Page 1 of the Dojo thread began on May 22nd (going by the standard 50-posts-per-page viewing style).

Page 100 starts with a post from June 25th, 34 days later. Understandable, given that updates were pretty weak in the beginning.

Page 200 starts at August 1st, 37 days later.

Page 300 starts at August 24th, 23 days later. I should note that the period of time between this page and page 200 brought us the Subspace Emissary megaton as well as Pokemon Trainer (and Ike was on August 1st itself), so perhaps we'd begun to realize that there would be some excellent material on the Dojo.

Page 400 starts at September 19th, 26 days later.

Page 500 starts at October 2nd, 13 days later. Note that September 19th was one day after the reveal of Wi-Fi Play, so things sped up fairly significantly here.

Page 600 starts at October 12th, 10 days later. Sonic on October 10th kept the pace pretty high, but even before him we had co-op on October 5th.

Page 700 starts at October 26th, 14 days later. Nothing particularly enormous happened in that time period, but I guess we were still flying high on hype.

Page 800 starts at November 15th, 19 days later. I have no explanation for why we're still going this fast, other than perhaps that by now we've built enough of a "community" that we don't need megatons to sustain us.

Page 900 starts at December 6th, 21 days later (albeit very near the end of December 6th, going by Pacific time for North America). Novembust slowed us down a bit, I guess, but not as much as one might have expected after living through that month.

Page 1000 starts at January 5th, 30 days later. Hit hard by a holiday slowdown as well as a week of non-updates, we nonetheless slugged onward and did still manage to beat the posting rates from pages 1-200!

justchris

Jiggy37 said:
Page 800 starts at November 15th, 19 days later. I have no explanation for why we're still going this fast, other than perhaps that by now we've built enough of a "community" that we don't need megatons to sustain us.

We're all sustained by your love Jiggy.

NeonZ

SantaC said:
you actually believe this? They will list all existing characters that has been revealed on smashbros site.

dont get excited.

Corocoro apparently had exclusive info about Diamond/Pearl, it's not a random magazine...

iirc, corocoro magazin'e last SSBB preview had never before seen shots and stuff, and their pokemon info are genuine and first before anybody.
Even if the starting rooster is just some of the characters already on the site, at least there will be some new screenshots and stuff.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hey, stop whinging, Final Smashes are not bad at all for updates, and Lucas' PK Starstorm looks epic!

...But still, hope they liven the updates a bit more in the next month or so.

mclem

Golden Darkness said:
Also, with these moves, you can move around while charged by charging the move to the maximum limit or by pressing the shield button to cancel the charge.

... is this bit new? I don't recall it from Melee, but I was never at the bleeding edge of skill.

Also, does the targeted ad banner have, er, a sense of humour for anyone else?

Teasel

mclem said:
... is this bit new? I don't recall it from Melee, but I was never at the bleeding edge of skill.

Also, does the targeted ad banner have, er, a sense of humour for anyone else?
not new

NeonZ

I'm actually surprised by the negative reaction's to Lucas' final Smash... I thought people were complaining about FS updates only because they were already known from E4A...

Rotanibor

Rambaldi said:
I kinda like Lucas' FS. I want more Zelda love, though.

I got a feeling we'll be getting a bit of Zelda coverage pretty soon. Including Shiek. Although thats pretty much just a feeling.

I mean what the hell else 'real' news can they give us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom