• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

I think I saw this as a kid. Is it the one where a
mummy puts a wire coat hanger up someone's nose and rips their brains out with it? I remember someone entering their house while the mummy is fiddling with coat hangers in the closet, then grabbind the dude and ramming one up his nose.
Been a couple decades since I saw it, but that scene fucked me up as a kid. Not sure if it's from it or not. I love horror anthologies but I've held off on revisiting this one for that reason. It probably isn't even like I have it in my memory. :lol

Yup, that's it. Check it out, it's no Creepshow, but it's worth 90 minutes of your time.

You should see the cover for the DVD I have then.

tales_crappy_DVD_zpsa089e67a.jpg

I miss the Gremlin :(

That's the one I have. I actually watched it earlier today. I'll probably post my thoughts tomorrow.

Ridley327

WEEK FOUR - PAINFUL MEMORIES
October 22, part 2

Thoughts before the rewatch: Well, why don't we pull up my original review?

"Rob Zombie continues to be one of film's most frustrating yet undeniably talented visionaries, and he delivers what is sure to be his most divisive film since, well, the last one he did. Stepping into the realm of psychological horror, Zombie is smart enough to recall the masters of the genre without stepping on their toes by ripping them off, opting instead to use iconic images from such classic films as "Le voyage dans la lune" to help add to the film's growing disconnect from reality. As a director, you'd be hard-pressed to think of another horror director with a better eye for visuals and staging than Zombie, even if just can't get enough of showing everyone his wife's ass (add two more shots to the running tally). Unfortunately, Zombie seems to actively sabotage himself at every opportunity by being the screenwriter, as well, and although this film manages to avoid some of the issues that plagued past films of his, he never quite decides if he wants a mystery that everyone can guess along with the film or a complete abandonment of any narrative function to focus entirely on surreal setpieces, leading to movie-halting exposition (often delivered with disastrous results by Bruce Davison's dreadful performance) and scenes that serve zero purpose (just because it involves witches and Satan doesn't mean there has to be a shot of rats, Rob). Zombie also seems to be a tad bit reluctant to completely play it straight with era evocation, leading to some jarring moments where the 70s vibe clashes clumsily with modern-day technology and references (Starbucks jokes? In a 2013 film? Come on, Rob!). Still, when the film is at its best, it puts you in a near-hypnotic vibe, aided by the menacing, low frequency soundtrack and some rather gorgeous visuals that are often juxtaposed with unimaginable horrors creeping about. If the film doesn't quite know whether to explain those horrors or not, Zombie can still direct the pants off of them all the same. If he hasn't made a film nearly as good as the hallmarks of the genre are, he has surely made one that's just as intriguing as them. A noble failure, and one that I may actually look forward to revisiting in the future."

Months later: Truth be told, I don't think I've really changed my mind on it all that much, which I'm a bit surprised by since my expectations were far more in check this time than I was when I saw it in a theater. Perhaps that had a lot to do with my initial thoughts prior to being the first of two guys who bought a ticket to that screening in April: what I dismissed initially as a move to garner more critical acceptance by tackling more "accepted" material that doesn't play to Zombie's grindhouse sensibilities turned out to be a far more experimental and daring than I would have thought possible, even if a lot of bad habits wound up creeping in. Knowing what was going to happen may have been something of a detriment, in a way, as I no longer had any preconceptions for the film to shatter. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but there's something to be said about a film that remains entirely mysterious until you step into that theater and have it unfold and discovering, for yourself, how wrong you were. I will say for sure, though, that the sound design and soundtrack really don't play as well in a home format: you really do need a decently sized theater to allow for it to really envelop you and work its horrific magic on you.

Everything pretty much still applies all the same: gorgeous visuals (Zombie really does some wonderful things with lighting), great sound design and soundtrack, performances that range from agreeable to Bruce Davison (holy shit, he was even worse than I remembered), and a script that will never, ever make a lick of sense. I think that there is a sense that since the film was structurally more ambitious than anything that Zombie had attempted that he really wasn't quite sure how to build that structure, and relies too much on trying to make some kind of sense of it all when his heart is really more set on it not doing so. It's a film that I can't say is for everyone, but it's the kind of film that you won't know that it isn't for everyone unless you see it for yourself. Certainly, it deserves that much.

October 23 preview: The horrible, dark secret of this year's marathon can finally be revealed! For a while, Dario Argento's Phenomena has been a source of extreme frustration for me, as its pairing of giallo plotting and fantasy-based setpieces seemed too opposed to one another for the film to ever come together satisfactorily. But there was an even bigger problem than research into the matter revealed to me: I had been basing my opinion on the film on the US cut, dubbed Creepers, and have had that been my basis for my feelings for nearly a decade. So, in a marathon first, we have a simultaneous rewatch and new film to watch!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
- Beyond The Black Rainbow
- Cannibal Holocaust
- American Mary
- The Aggression Scale
- Maniac
- Cherry Tree Lane
- The Conjuring
- Fright Night 2 : New Blood

- Inside / À l'intérieur

What...the...fuck.

So, this is another one of those type of movies. It starts off super depressing, then continues to get really bleak, until it drains you of any emotion. It's fairly grisly and not for the weak at heart or stomach. Some of the scenes...geeze. I can't even with the last ten minutes.

That said, I'm fairly split on the movie as a whole. On one hand, it's brilliantly shot, edited, and directed. The house that it's shot in is very closed quarters, and does an excellent job of giving of a sense of claustrophobia, as well as highlighting just how fucked up a situation the pregnant woman is in. She has absolutely no choice but to fight it out. No supernatural bullshit, no demon baby, no force powers, no running, nothing. Just a soon to be mom trying to fight off a deranged assailant whom is just as smart as she is. That is where the movie shines. The constant battle between the two is something to be experienced, if you can deal with the gore. It does a bang up job with keeping you rooting for the protagonist and scaring the shit out of you, with the antagonist's intelligence and ferocity in getting her goal.

So, the only issue I take with the movie is due to the plot, and that's with how fucking inept the police are in this film. It's nothing new in cinema in general, but mann....they took me out of the movie a fair amount, with just how terribly they were written. Bah. Damn....

I enjoyed the movie. The two main characters are def going to sit with me for a while. I need to track down Martyrs now.

Im having the hardest time watching a movie tonight. Received Deep Red from Netflix and the DVD has no subtitle options which isn't going to work with this movie. Then I decided to watch my next rental which was Alice Sweet Alice and the disk is broke in half.

Would anybody recommend Deep Red as a blind buy? I'm starting to consider it.

Ridley327

Deep Red is one of the best giallos ever, and it's the first film where Argento REALLY cuts loose in the style department, so yeah, it's a very safe blind buy.

WorldStar

Banned

Dario Argento is one of the best giallo directors of all time, and arguably one of the best horror directors of all time.

IMHO, Suspiria and Deep Red are his two best flicks.

So yes, for me Deep Red gets a huge thumbs up as a blind buy.

Pretty sure there is a Blue Underground release. I'd go with them since their releases are quality and typically include some bonus shit like neat interviews.

GhaleonEB

Yup, that's it. Check it out, it's no Creepshow, but it's worth 90 minutes of your time.

Watching it will be like confronting a childhood fear. It'll either be confirmed or overcome. Sounds like fun!

I watched The Bay tonight. I'll write it up tomorrow, but it's streaming on Netflix and worth the time. Found footage style film done (mostly) right.

matt360

#21 - Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
ap1JN6w.jpg

Wow what a weird movie. I didn't know Michael Myers wasn't in this until a couple weeks ago when my friend was telling me about this movie, but I still enjoyed it. I liked the characters and the heavy synth score and the Halloween countdown song. Coincidentally, it really is only "8 more days til Halloween" which is the same point where Halloween 3 begins. A few of the deaths were really cool, but still kind of WTF. Laser beams? Poker chips? Halloween masks? Irish? It's all a big clusterfuck of "What the hell am I watching?!" But I definitely found it dumb in a highly entertaining fashion. 6/10

kaiju

Day 21: Chopping Mall (1986)

mall.jpg

There's new protection at the Park Plaza Mall, advanced high-tech Security Robots. They are supposed to be harmless to innocent people, but that all changes when several lightning bolts hit their control module at the top of the Mall. "Have a nice day!"

I thought the cast was pretty good, considering many of them I'd never heard of before. The robots were cool, although seeing them go on their killing rampage was kind of silly.

The moments of 80's Americana seen in the Mall before the carnage was interesting. Ever since watching Dawn of the Dead, I've always thought that a Mall was the perfect place for a horror movie. Chopping Mall fits the bill in that category. Only complaint is this movie is so damn predictable!

choppingmallpost.jpg

Gameboy415

1. The Relic (Blu-Ray)
2. Ghoulies (Netflix)
3. Nightmares (1983) (YouTube)
4. The Amityville Horror (2005) (DVD)
5. Battledogs (Netflix)
6. Scream 4 (Netflix)
7. Satan's Little Helper (Netflix)
8. Tales From the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight (Netflix)
9. Perfect Blue (DVD)
10. John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (Blu-Ray)
11. Screamtime (Netflix)
12. Bread Crumbs (Netflix)
13. Ghoulies 2 (Netflix)
14. Tales From the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood (Netflix)
15. Hotel Transylvania 3D (Blu-Ray)
16. Hellraiser (Netflix)
17. Paranormal Activity (Blu-Ray)
18. Evil Dead (2013) (Blu-Ray)
19. Galaxy of Terror (Netflix)
20. House (Netflix)
21. House 2 (Netflix)

22. 30 Days of Night (Blu-Ray)

-I saw this movie on DVD at a friend's house years ago but decided to watch my recently-acquired Blu-Ray and found it to be a MUCH better experience in HD/Surround Sound!
I'm going to check out the sequel some time this week as well.

23. Creepshow (Blu-Ray)

-One of my all-time favorites! I'm going to watch its sequels before the end of the month as well.

Day 21: Chopping Mall (1986)

mall.jpg

There's new protection at the Park Plaza Mall, advanced high-tech Security Robots. They are supposed to be harmless to innocent people, but that all changes when several lightning bolts hit their control module at the top of the Mall. "Have a nice day!"

I thought the cast was pretty good, considering many of them I'd never heard of before. The robots were cool, although seeing them go on their killing rampage was kind of silly.

The moments of 80's Americana seen in the Mall before the carnage was interesting. Ever since watching Dawn of the Dead, I've always thought that a Mall was the perfect place for a horror movie. Chopping Mall fits the bill in that category. Only complaint is this movie is so damn predictable!

choppingmallpost.jpg

What, no head laser gif?

Deep Red is one of the best giallos ever, and it's the first film where Argento REALLY cuts loose in the style department, so yeah, it's a very safe blind buy.

Dario Argento is one of the best giallo directors of all time, and arguably one of the best horror directors of all time.

IMHO, Suspiria and Deep Red are his two best flicks.

So yes, for me Deep Red gets a huge thumbs up as a blind buy.

Pretty sure there is a Blue Underground release. I'd go with them since their releases are quality and typically include some bonus shit like neat interviews.

Thirded. You really can't go wrong with Argento's early gialli. Deep Red is fantastic. I can't imagine you not liking it since you liked Blood and Black Lace so much.

Just an FYI, (and if my memory is correct, my disc is in storage so I can't check) if you get the older Blue Underground release (the one with the woman being murdered on the cover) they include the extended Italian edition. Since the English version is shorter and they only include one cut of the film, the dub track switches over to the Italian audio with Eng subtitles for the extended scenes. It's a little jarring.

I think the newer Blu-ray splits them up into 2 movies instead of mixing the audio, but I don't have it (yet) so I can't confirm. There's a later DVD release too (with a doll on the cover) but as far as I can tell, that only includes the shorter English version.

Watching it will be like confronting a childhood fear. It'll either be confirmed or overcome. Sounds like fun!

Heh. Well, I hope you enjoy it. You never know if things like that will live up to your memory, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Grave-Encounters-Poster-202x300.jpg

22. Grave Encounters (Netflix Instant)

When Grave Encounters explained that it was real recovered footage from a television crew's ill-fated trip to Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital, I thought of the recent Asylum Jam, a recent game jam where video game designers were tasked with creating horror games that do not use "asylums, psychiatric institutes, medical professionals, violent/antipathic/'insane' patients as settings or triggers." (You can see some of the games that game out of Asylum Jam at Giant Bomb.) Grave Encounters plays with the same haunted house ideas as Ju-on: The Grudge, and it felt like The Blair Witch Project set in an asylum.

The similarities between Grave Encounters and The Blair Witch Project go beyond the shared use of the found footage format. They both trap the protagonists in areas that contort themselves in impossible ways and distort time to prevent the protagonists from leaving; I'm trying to remember if the two movies even share a scene where the protagonists are astonished by a compass spinning wildly. They both use characters standing unresponsively in corners to build tension, though Grave Encounters actually pays off that tension, even as it feels less effective than the infamous scene in The Blair Witch Project. Both movies feature what are frankly pretty unlikable characters seeking fame in haunted places, ignoring warnings about their safety, and filming their own demises. And they both open with direct address to the audience that what we're about to watch is real to create the mood. (And I'll leave out the discussion about their respective unsuccessful sequels, which both feature sets of characters who believed that their respective preceding movies were real and sought to find out more information about what happened to the preceding movies' protagonists.)

This is the third found footage movie I've seen in this year's marathon, and it succeeds at avoiding the format's pitfalls about as well as The Bay did. It answered the question of why we're watching this (the producer of the fictional show "Grave Encounters" in the movie's universe probably thought this would be entertaining and profitable), how did we get this footage (a tossed off line about the producers receiving the mini DV tapes in the mail), why did the characters keep filming (they were filming a television show, and once the supernatural elements start exerting their power, the characters have to rely on the cameras' lights and nightvision mode to see their environments), why is what we're seeing so well edited (the production company combined the raw footage to create a commercial film), and how did the cameras keep their charge (the characters turn off the cameras intermittently, possibly to save the batteries' power). It used the format's strengths well to create tension, and it used some great visual tricks (ghostly hands manifesting from walls and doors to grab the protagonists) for good scares (a ghost rising from a bathtub of blood, grabbing a protagonist, and dragging him into the bathtub, where he disappears altogether). I especially appreciated the set-up of the still photography scare. In an early scene, the protagonists demonstrate how still photography works, and no supernatural elements are seen. In a later scene, the protagonists use the camera to take more pictures, and the audience sees ghostly images appear. The protagonists can't see them because the camera is not digital.

It's a horror movie, so it features some classic tropes, such as the woman being the first voice of caution and concern only for her to be ignored and the gradual escalation of violence inflicted on the protagonists. And on a larger scale, it strikes at the horror of the modern world's skepticism or outright dismissal about the past. The protagonists are told clearly that "Death Awaits" if they enter the building, but they go in because they're all only cynically pretending to believe in the supernatural (until the supernatural presents clear proof and present danger to them) to make a profit. The characters beseech the supernatural world to reveal itself to them, much to their later regret; they're disturbing what should be left alone because of curiosity and greed, and they get severely punished for it.

I was entertained by what I saw, but because the movie is much more explicit about the threat that the protagonists faced, it doesn't haunt me like The Blair Witch Project did and still does. I also have no desire to see Grave Encounters 2.

Linkhero1

Oct. 1 The Evil Dead (1983) - Great
Oct. 2 V/H/S 2 - Good
Oct. 3 Blair Witch Project - Boring
Oct. 4 Sleepaway Camp - Great
Oct. 5 Drag Me To Hell- Boring
Oct. 6 The Possession - Great
Oct. 7 Session 9- Great
Oct. 8 Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - Boring
Oct. 9 [REC] - Great
Oct. 10 Evil Dead 2 - Fantastic
Oct. 11 Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Fantastic
Oct. 12 Ringu - Good
Oct. 13 V/H/S - Good
Oct. 14 Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Great
Oct. 15 The Cabin in the Woods - Great
Oct. 16 Maniac (2012) - Great
Oct. 17 Fright Night (1985) - Great
Oct. 18 [REC] 2 - Great
Oct. 19 The Mist - Great
Oct. 20 Pet Sematary - Good
Oct. 21 Magic Magic - What the fuck did I just watch?
Oct. 22 The Shrine - Great

The Shrine -

I didn't feel like going through the trouble to find an older movie so I hopped on Netflix and started surfing. It was down between this and Satan's Little Helper. I chose Satan's Little Helper. Immediately after 20 mins of shitty acting and terrible stream quality I switched over to The Shrine.

A lot of gaffers recommended The Shrine earlier on in the thread so I finally decided check it out. I'm glad I did because it's probably the first movie in a while to spook me. I can't get the mental images out of my head now. The most annoying aspect of the movie is the protagonist. The protagonist of the movie is so fucking stupid. Every thing she does leaves you sitting and wondering if she's really an idiot. Her decision making skills are terrible. The ending was satisfying and I think they pulled it off well. If you're into cult/possession movies then check this one out.

Tried to watch Cheerleader Massacre lol, didn't get far, but all I saw was a softcore porn. I'll eventually get through it just because it has a connection to Slumber Party Massacre

Divius

ugco9DN.jpg

#21 - Night of the Living Dead (1968)
My first and (probably) only rewatch of this month, but after checking out the new documentary Year of the Living Dead, it was nothing more than logical to rewatch the mother of all zombie films along with it. The documentary featured a few interesting insights in regards to its initial reception, 60s racism and having a black guy be the hero, and political backdrop, but nothing really groundbreaking or eye opening. Night of the Living Dead itself was still great, but there's little I can say that hasn't been said before (and better than I could), so I will just say I love the film dearly and it still manages to really scare me. 8.5/10

I'm still waiting on a quality Region A Night of the Living Dead BD :(

I've got all of his other zombie movies on BD and that's a gaping hole in my collection.

harSon

Banned
1. Cube - I had to fix the fact that I had seen Hypercube and Cube Zero before actually having seen the original. I wasn't disappointed. It's obvious what films have drawn inspiration from Cube since its release in the 90s. The black guy is wonderfully douchey, and I'm love him for it. 4 out of 5

2. The Conjuring - Competent and effective, but that's about as far as I'm willing to go with my praise. 3 out of 5

3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - One of the few films that manages to go toe to toe with its predecessor and come out on top IMO. While it's not quite as big a leap from the original film as John Carpenter's The Thing was, the leap was substantial none the less. Absolutely loved the practical effects. The ending obviously won't surprise you anymore, especially if you frequent the internet, but that by no means hampers the experience. 5 out of 5

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original) - Simple yet effective narrative, and basically one that most modern slashers adhere to (alongside constructing hateable characters for the sole purpose of making their deaths not only stomachable, but thoroughly enjoyable - ie. Franklin). Easily one of the noteworthy entries in low-budget horror making. The cinematography is what really makes this film great. The 16mm allows for a wonderfully grainy look, and there's a great balance between bleak grit and vibrant color. People who go back to watch this film with a modern mindset, especially after the remakes, will probably be surprised that the film is pretty tame in that regard, choosing to leave much to the mind. 4.5 out of 5

5. Haunter - Pretty interesting concept. It's almost a hodgepodge of Nightmare on Elm Street and Groundhogs Day with a Ghost story overcoat. It starts off interesting enough and manages to hold your attention for a while, but it overstays its welcome a bit and the ending was too hokey for my liking. I was expecting a bit more from Vincenzo Natali. 2 out of 5

6. Susperia - Similar to a lot of Giallo films, the narrative isn't exactly conventional or deep (although I'd consider that a charm of the genre), but an awesome score and downright gorgeous cinematography elevate the film into something truly great. 5 out of 5

7. Black Christmas (Original) - Such an awesome movie to watch as a fan of the genre. You can see the past and future of the genre within this one film. It's very much a blurred region between Giallo and the modern Slasher. The film in general is quality to boot. 5 out of 5

8. The Beyond - The narrative doesn't make a lick of sense but the movie manages to impress regardless. 4 out of 5

9. The Loved Ones - Surprisingly decent film. The pit scenes were legitimately creepy. 3.5 out of 5

10. Curse of Chucky - I actually quite liked Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky, so the return to a less outlandish Chucky movie didn't go over to well with me. It wasn't a terrible film, it just lacked a soul IMO. The definition of generic. 2 out of 5

11. Session 9 - I've seen this film mentioned countless time, and its name is typically followed by glowing praise. I wasn't a fan to say the least. I loved the crawling narrative, which helped create steadily growing tension, but I was expecting a bigger payoff. The tail end of the 3rd act was just too sudden and not grand enough to justify the 80+ minutes of slow build up proceeding it. Such a shame too, because I'm usually a sucker for psychological horror. 2 out of 5

12. Society - Dat ending. Fairly heavy handed messaging, but I'm a huge fan of body horror and a sucker for films focusing on the snobiness of the 80s/90s Elite. 4.5 out of 5

13. The Hitcher (Original) - Rutger Hauer is explanation enough. 4.5 out of 5

14. Demons - Why is there a motorcycle in the movie theater, and better yet, why does it have gas? You could probably ask a dozen or so mind boggling questions like this, but it doesn't matter because Demons is awesome despite its narrative and consistency shortfalls. 4.5 out of 5

15. Angel Heart - I'm not completely sure why I always see this listed under the horror genre. It's more film noir with some psychological horror thrown in, but the horror elements are so spare and far and few between that I kind of struggle labeling it as such. Regardless, it's a damn good movie and Lisa Bonet was gorgeous in it. It also brings to light how horribly Mickey Rourke fucked his face up. Great actor though. 4.5 out 5

-----------

I'm still 7 movies behind though, and I don't see myself catching up by Halloween. I might be able to cut it in half, but I can't imagine recovering by much more :(

14. Demons - Why is there a motorcycle in the movie theater, and better yet, why does it have gas? You could probably ask a dozen or so mind boggling questions like this, but it doesn't matter because Demons is awesome despite its narrative and consistency shortfalls. 4.5 out of 5

SURPRISE HELICOPTER!

WorldStar

Banned
Night of the Living Dead will always have a special place in my heart and will likely also always be in my top 5 favorite horror films ever list.

Not sure why I love the movie so much; I'm guessing it is because it is one of the first horror movies I ever watched and really got me into the horror genre. When I first watched it, it scared the shit out of me. And the casting of black male as the protagonist was unheard of at the time (or at the very least extremely uncommon). It also has a lot of action for a 60s flick. The chaos begins pretty much right as the movie starts when the girl is attacked at the cemetery.

It is easily the best zombie movie ever made IMO. Dawn of the Dead coming in at second place.

White Man

I watched Reanimator last night, which I have seen 100 times and believe it is better comedy horror than either of the 2 Evil Deads. I've never tried the sequels, though. I recall hearing that the first one is pretty good. Anyone know?

I watched Reanimator last night, which I have seen 100 times and believe it is better comedy horror than either of the 2 Evil Deads. I've never tried the sequels, though. I recall hearing that the first one is pretty good. Anyone know?

Bride is good with some great effects but at times it feels like more of the same.

Beyond starts out a little dry but it gets so crazy that it's a blast. The final act is insane. I really like it.

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 22 - The Werewolf (1956)

384px-The_werwolf_1956_film_produced_by_sam_katzman.jpg

The Werewolf (1956) - This Sam Katzman produced B programmer for Columbia follows the story of travelling salesman Duncan Marsh, who after being involved in a minor traffic accident is experimented on my a couple of unscrupulous doctors who inject him with irradiated wolf's blood transforming him into a werewolf (all for the betterment of mankind, of course). Marsh finds himself in the remote village of Mountaincrest, unable to remember who he is or how he arrived there. It quickly becomes apparent that he can transform into a werewolf when threatened, or at night, or if threatened at night, or... well pretty much whenever the story requires actually... The plot's a little silly and the writing's only so-so, but this is solid drive-in fare, with decent makeup and acting in support of the chills.

MattyH

Day 23 -Suspiria
suspiria-poster.jpg

The film which started my love affair with Argento and the giallo. Ive not been able to find a film which matches the art style of it or drips much atmosphere as much

voLfiWG.png

Conflicting but ultimately worthwhile. 3/3

hLSHR35.png

I, what? Who? When? Where? How? Huh? 2/3

uR3poL9.png

I was lukewarm about Narcissus but Michael Powell has finally won me over. 3/3

h90Mcwf.png

Rewatch. Best Dracula-adaptation. Oh, Van Helsing, how useless you are! 3/3

aFIGurANT

The zombies in the Romero films do not "evolve by osmosis." They don't even evolve.

There were smarter ones in NIGHT and DAWN who used tools. Then of course there is Bub in DAY. The smart population is the result of the dumb ones having been dealt with by the time of LAND.

Well the smart zombie teaches the other zombies how to do shit though. The gas station attendant zombie shows the one with the cleaver to cut through the barricade and teaches guns to the zombies too. I've not seen any of the other films so that's part of where I'm coming from but pretty much the film shows one zombie becoming a leader of dumb zombies. Or so it seemed to me.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ughh struggling to keep up with this in terms of updating the thread, so here's another compilation of mini reviews.

17. Maniac- This one was a bit of surprise for me. I hadn't heard much about it, and Elijah Wood as a serial killer was tough to get behind. On top of this when it started the whole production of it looked fairly cheap. It was a solid Gore movie though, and Elijah Wood ends up working decently well for this, and the effects are pretty nice. It's very cheesy, it's very strange, but if gore is your thing it's worth a watch.

7/10

18. The Tall Man- When I saw this come out, I thought, like most other gaffers, looks like a Slender Man ripoff. Well without giving away too much, only part of the movie is like that. Once the major twist happens, it quickly becomes one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen. What a terrible piece of writing. Skip this one.

1.5/10

19. Dream Home- I've had this in my queue forever, hearing how it's one of the more brutal movies around, so I figured I'd finally get this outta my queue. Lived up to its hype for sure. If you're into gorror movies, then again this movie is for you. It's really just an exploitation movie and that's about it. Not bad, but nothing special.

6.5/10

20. Ju-on- The Grudge- I really can't stand the remake of this movie, but I always hear that the original is significantly better, which after watching, that's pretty clear. That being said you often hear about how new movies retroactively make old movies worse, which I usually don't agree with... however in this case I do. The grudge has become such a parody, not only for its own lousy movies, but also being subject of Scary Movie. It's got a lot of good atmosphere and some genuinely creepy moments. it's clearly dated and ridiculously low budget, but it's pretty clear what they were going for, and a lot of the time they achieve that. Can't believe how bad the remake missed the boat.

7/10

21. Long Pigs- Yet another found footage movie. My friend had a copy of this and let me borrow it, which is good, because apparently it's very difficult to find. I actually really found this movie impressive. It's extremely low budget, but the practical effects are very impressive, and for the most part the performances are passable. There are plenty of logical gaps in the story, but found footage always has that issue. Really interesting twist on found footage, and a serial killer movie. Check this one out.

8/10

22. House on Haunted Hill (1959)- When I was much younger, the remake scared the crap out of me, and for years I would see the original sitting in the horror section of video stores. Being young the black and white aspect really turned me away from it, but last night I saw this up on netflix, and figured why not? Great experience. It's campy as hell, but in a great way, and has really aged well for that very reason. It's a straight up haunted house movie, and it's loaded with atmosphere and solid performances, especially from Vincent Price. A horror classic worth checking out for sure.

9/10

Watching Noroi the curse tonight, heard a lot of hype about this one, so I'll be back with a review tomorrow.

1. The Prophecy- 5/10
2. Event Horizon- 6/10
3. The collection- 2.5/10
4. John Dies at the End- 5.5/10
5. Grave Encounters 2- 3/10
6. The Grey- 7/10
7. Pumpkinhead- 2/10
8. Hood of Horror- 1/5/10
9. Black Death- 7/10
10. Apollo 18- 1.5/10
11. Leviathan- 5.5/10
12. The Bay- 5.5/10
13. Attrocious- 2.5/10
14. The Loved Ones.- 7.5/10
15. Poughkeepsie Tapes- 6.0/10
16. Irreversible- 8/10

Ridley327

If I stay any longer in that thread about The Thing, I'm going to start siccing chimps at motherfuckers.

WEEK FOUR - PAINFUL MEMORIES
October 23

Thoughts before the rewatch: This comes from a different place than the other rewatches this week, as my original experience with the film came from its US, R-rated cut, better known under the title of Creepers. Perhaps the most divisive film in Argento's classic period, the film has a reputation of having his most nonsensical plotting ever, his most useless supporting cast ever, and certainly some of his worst licensed musical selections ever. Most of all, though, is that Argento seriously loads all the worthwhile stuff in the last part of the film, in which any pretense of trying to follow anything logical gets tossed out the window for sheer and utter madness, filled with maniacal overacting, one of the most hilariously inane attempts at self-rescue, an out-of-nowhere revelation of a deformity, and what could very well be the greatest deus ex machina in cinematic history. If only it didn't take about a dull, disengaging hour to get there.

Years later: Sadly, not only does everything still apply in its longer form, but now it takes a dull, disengaging hour-and-a-half to get to the good stuff. I don't even think there was ever any point where Argento had even half a clue of what he was trying to do, and the back-loaded nature to the film suggests that he took notes from various other films and spent about 15 minutes figuring out the best way to set those up, and another 5 minutes actually writing it. The amount of dropped plot points could fill a vault, and the amount of completely perfunctory characters is almost as voluminous. And because it's so back-loaded, very few moments show up early on that demonstrate Argento's typical stylistic flourishes, resulting in dead air where you could wander off and do something else and miss absolutely nothing of value. It gets so boring in the longer version that the impact of the finale is greatly lessened, seeming more like a half-assed apology for making you endure the rest of the film than a reward. Yes, Daria Nicolodi still gets to chew scenery in a way that recalls Nicolas Cage at his absolutely least restrained, but at what cost? Is the promise of a chimp's righteous revenge worth the straight-up bullshit it takes to witness it? The answer is, sadly, no. Once a misstep in a great run, always a misstep in a great run.

October 24 preview: High Tension saw the debut of one of France's most talented horror exports in Alexandre Aja, though as the film proves, certainly not for his writing ability. Can time open my eyes to the film's other strengths, or is the film's plot twist still That Goddamned Dumb?

apgvN2w.jpg

23. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

A new classic in my book. No Michael Myers and a completely new storyline that has nothing to do with the rest of the franchise. Every year I watch I continue to appreciate how bad this movie is and I love it.

7/10.

I'm going to go tomorrow night and see if Hasting's has Deep Red. European version or bust.

Instead of a write up I'm just going to spoiler my thoughts during my viewing of Society.

-80's fashion is hilarious.
-There's a lot of good looking women.
-Hmm.....that's a little weird.
-Hey I get it, fuck rich people.
-I might have to bust out the hot crazy scale for Clarissa
-Hey! I think I know what's going on.
-Wait....I don't have a clue what's going on.
-What the fuck.

kaiju

Day 22: The Being (1983)

2C3C0C79E2546035A6A1E92A8470F4B9_19934.jpg

Something has risen from the nuclear waste dump in Pottsville, Idaho...and it wants to rip your head off!

This movie had so many 80's horror clichés it was sad. The acting is atrocious. There is a cool moment where the Being attacks several moviegoers at a drive-in, but the shaky camera work and bad acting for the duration of the film is just too much. I will give them credit for making a decent looking monster that can transform into slime, but that's about it.

beingb.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nice to see all the Argento love in this thread, although it makes it even more heartbreaking how poor his work has gotten in recent years.

A few thoughts: Suspiria is a movie that needs to be seen theatrically, on a big screen, with the soundtrack jacked the hell up. Absolutely amazing experience which I'd totally recommend to anyone who ever gets the opportunity to see it this way.

Deep Red is still my favourite Argento though, I don't know if its just because it was his "love offering" to Daria, or just because he never got to work with as good a lead as David Hemmings elsewhere, but its a much warmer film than anything else in his canon. Which is really important for suspense/horror in that you have characters who you really care about when they are in jeopardy.

I've grown to love Phenomena over the years, but mainly because of specific scenes (the surreal first encounter with the chimp), its overall oddness of tone, and that killer soundtrack.

Recent watches:

The Conjuring - Decent first half-hour but turns into complete garbage by the end. I hated it less than its recent compadres Insidious and Sinister, but its still spineless weak-sauce. 4/10

Lords Of Salem - Frustrating. This is one of those movies where if you chopped it up into individual scenes and jumbled the order up randomly it would be no worse an experience. Something that I hasten to say isn't a result of the plot's incoherence (it's just a rehash of
Rosemary's Baby
when all's said and done), but of its utter lack of flow and escalation. Its a depressingly flat watch, which is annoying as hell given that its got a lot to like on an a scene-by-scene basis. Zombie badly misfired with this one, very disappointing given how effective the psychedelic final third of House Of A Thousand Corpes was. 2/10

Divius

fqLLI6n.jpg

#22 - Black Sunday (1960)
Another film by Bava for my marathon; a somewhat melodramatic Gothic horror that has gorgeous stark black-and-white photography, with beautiful use of light and shadows creating one of the most atmospheric films I have ever seen. It's quite the contrast compared to the overly colorful lighting I have come to expect from Bava, but it boasts some terrific sequences set against misty graveyards and enormous spooky castles. The plot is alright but definitely not the best aspect of the film, nor is the acting which is serviceable but not outstanding. These things hurt the film but the atmosphere makes up for it and this is definitely not to be missed when checking out Bava's work. 7/10

Getting slightly behind in posting my films…

October 22nd

Movie number 42: Feast
Tagline: They’re hungry. You’re dinner.

Opening thoughts: My eldest came home from the second hand store with this for me today. What a fine chap he is.

PK8m3sc.png

Verdict: That was really fun, and a possible new leader in my Goriest Movie of the Month league. It’s a fantastic advert for the use of practical rather than digital effects. I watched The Midnight Meat Train earlier in the month, which, like Feast,
featured an eyeball out of it’s socket moment
. TMMT used CGI to achieve the effect, but Feast’s was much more realistic. And fun.

Score: 8 out of 10. Not quite Tremors, but a pretty good monsters in the desert movie nonetheless.

Movie number 43: Kill List

Opening thoughts: Saw and loved this at the cinema. Though the friend I took with me declared it utter garbage.

gKKSDn0.png

Verdict: Didn’t like it as much on second viewing, and I can’t work out why. Still a great film, but something feels missing. Maybe I’m just not in the mood. It remains the best gritty urban British hit man witchcraft horror thriller ever made though.

Score: 7 out 10. Say thank you to the nice man with the hammer.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 7 - Bruiser (2/10) Devoured (9.5/10)
October 8 - The Devil's Business (4/10) Session 9 (4/10) Needle (6.5/10)
October 9 - V/H/S (8.5/10)
October 10 - The Lords Of Salem (9.9 out of 10)
October 11 - Below (5/10) Dead Girl (6.5/10)
October 12 – Teeth (8/10) Little Deaths (10/10)
October 13 - Blood Night (5/10) Detention (7/10) American Mary (5/10)
October 14 - Citadel (8.5/10) Sawney: Flesh of Man (7.5/10)
October 15 - The Midnight Meat Train (6.5/10) Static (6/10)
October 16 - The Pact (8.5/10)
October 17 - Rites of Spring (3/10)
October 18 - Frankenstein's Army (7.5/10) War of the Dead (7/10)
October 19 - The Horseman (9/10) The Crazies (7/10)
October 20 - A Horrible Way To Die (5/10) Dark Skies (7/10)
October 21 - Black Rock (9/10) Sinister (8/10)

Linkhero1

Oct. 1 The Evil Dead (1983) - Great
Oct. 2 V/H/S 2 - Good
Oct. 3 Blair Witch Project - Boring
Oct. 4 Sleepaway Camp - Great
Oct. 5 Drag Me To Hell- Boring
Oct. 6 The Possession - Great
Oct. 7 Session 9- Great
Oct. 8 Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - Boring
Oct. 9 [REC] - Great
Oct. 10 Evil Dead 2 - Fantastic
Oct. 11 Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Fantastic
Oct. 12 Ringu - Good
Oct. 13 V/H/S - Good
Oct. 14 Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Great
Oct. 15 The Cabin in the Woods - Great
Oct. 16 Maniac (2012) - Great
Oct. 17 Fright Night (1985) - Great
Oct. 18 [REC] 2 - Great
Oct. 19 The Mist - Great
Oct. 20 Pet Sematary - Good
Oct. 21 Magic Magic - What the fuck did I just watch?
Oct. 22 The Shrine - Great
Oct. 23 The Bay - Good

The Bay -

A few people in this thread recommended The Bay, saying it was one of the better found footage films, so I decided to watch it last night. The movie starts off slow but picks up about twenty minutes in. For me, this movie was horrifying. A parasite that’s commonly found in fish in the Pacific makes its way to Chesapeake Bay. It’s known to eat through the fish’s tongue. Through mutation due to toxins in the bay, the parasite is able to grow rapidly. Shit goes downhill when the parasite makes its way into some of the town’s residents. It was horrific experience because I found out that this fucking parasite is real. I think we need to set the oceans on fire. In all seriousness, this movie left me mulling over how easy it was for an outbreak to occur and how slow the government’s response was when they first knew something was going on in the bay. Not only that, but how the government covered it up by paying people off kept me thinking about past instances where this may have occurred.

I’m now curious about past outbreaks that the government covered up. I recommend this movie to people who want to see a different type of found footage movie that doesn't follow same suit as other movies.

Getting slightly behind in posting my films…

October 22nd

Movie number 42: Feast
Tagline: They’re hungry. You’re dinner.

Opening thoughts: My eldest came home from the second hand store with this for me today. What a fine chap he is.

Verdict: That was really fun, and a possible new leader in my Goriest Movie of the Month league. It’s a fantastic advert for the use of practical rather than digital effects. I watched The Midnight Meat Train earlier in the month, which, like Feast,
featured an eyeball out of it’s socket moment
. TMMT used CGI to achieve the effect, but Feast’s was much more realistic. And fun.

Score: 8 out of 10. Not quite Tremors, but a pretty good monsters in the desert movie nonetheless.

Man, I LOOOOVE Feast. Anyone who's looking for a good gore comedy should check it out if they haven't already.

Top Bottom