• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for 'Grave of the Fireflies' director Isao Takahata's PRINCESS KAGUYA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arde5643

Interesting style - definitely looking like actual traditional Japanese drawings/paintings brought into animation.

Anybody know of the story? Possibly just a re-telling of "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" or with Takahata's own take?

And yes, smh at the fucking idiots dissing this style.

Possible, and certainly his last. :(
wait, what, how? why? No......

Can't wait to see Takahata's last film. Been over a decade since Yamadas so it's a minor miracle he chose to helm this through to the end - he doesn't have Miyazaki's relentless work ethic. The contrast between the two teasers has me excited.

But the big question is where Ghibli goes now - this is Takahata's bow, months after Miyazaki's. Who takes the reins?

tearsofash

:D

It's very Japanese. I can understand why people think the animation style sucks, but you should study Japanese art history more often and I think you may appreciate this more.

Cwarrior

Isao Takahata the last anime movie director worth a damn if he retires after this, which is really likely to happen since his even older then miyazaki then this will probably be the last good original anime movie we will ever see, which should be a fine swan song to the joke that is the anime movie industry.

abadguy

Banned
Isao Takahata the last anime movie director worth a damn if he retires after this, which is really likely to happen since his even older then miyazaki then this will probably be the last good original anime movie we will ever see, which should be a fine swan song to the joke that is the anime movie industry.

I dunno, man. Hasoda is pretty good too.

That's gorgeous! Sadly, BassForever will probably come by to call it the shittiest looking thing since Kick-Heart.

I hope I'm allowed to say that. Please don't ban me. :(

Cwarrior

I like the old Japanese painting art style.

I dunno, man. Hasoda is pretty good too.

When Hosoda passes for good it speaks volumes about how much a joke the anime movie industry is,the man got kicked out of studio ghibli for his lack of talent after they weren't happy with the level of quality of his work.

Untill hosoda fires his awful script writer Satoko Okudera he will never make anything decent.

I like it.
run8dl5h.gif

Grave of the fireflies was powerfully beautiful, will check this out.

I like the art style. Too much of today's anime is the same exact look.

If you like this art style, you should check out the short film Minding Your Own Business from the 2012 Anime Mirai shorts. Like Takahata's Kaguya, it makes use of a very sketchy, loose hand-drawn art style which accentuates the emotions present in the narrative, albeit in a different fashion and not to the same level of sophistication.

Foxix Von

Oh, my God. That was gorgeous. Absolutely stunning work.

After those first few comments I was expecting something terrible, but whoa, that is absolutely marvelous.

Just wow.

zeroshiki

This will most likely be Takahata's last work and unlike Miyazaki his retirement probably will not be met with any fanfare. Fair or not, due to output and mainstream appeal, Ghibli has always been recognized as Miyazaki's studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom